PDA

View Full Version : An apology to anyone who races (or has raced) me recently.

AG-wolf
5th July 2010, 06:13 PM
Ever since the 3.20 System update for the PS3, which removes OtherOS capability, I have not updated my own personal console. Avoiding the discussion of the reasons behind my choice, I'll simply say until I can acquire a second PS3 for $100 or less, I will never again connect to PSN through my own personal console... I can't even try AdHoc Party to play Pure against people.

As a result, any time that I have been playing WOHD online over the last 3 or 4 months, it has been via a friend's console, leaving me far removed from my normal gaming "comfort zone" at home, as it were.

Because of this (and other factors/distractions; music, social environment, herb, talking, etc), I have been playing miserably lol :P I just wanted to throw a shout-out to anyone who may have encountered me on the track and explain my terrible piloting hahaha

I also am still terrible at the 4 Fury tracks... So with these two things in mind, I offer an advance apology :P I know I've raced a handful of people from here on the forums, or at least they're names I do recognize. Maybe sometime down the road, things will change again- but until then, I guess I'm back at noob status >_<

Aeroracer
5th July 2010, 09:05 PM
its ok wolf i forgive you :P

whats happened you droped from the top 10 to the top11 world players..:p

blackwiggle
6th July 2010, 10:54 AM
For some strange reason I always feel like taking a sudden toilet break when a FURY track comes up, my bowels make a sudden and considerable move whenever Modesto appears, and I just have to do a dash.
I also strangely get a sudden craving to drop everything and make a cup of coffee when the Amphesium gets selected.
And I've lost count on how many times my controller has suddenly needed recharging if Talons gets picked.
All purely coincidental.
;):)

Actually I wonder what the percentage would be of people who suddenly sighed, OH NO! whenever they saw that the host of a room they were in has changed to a Fury track. :lol

ACE-FLO
6th July 2010, 11:51 AM
...OH NO! whenever they saw that the host of a room they were in has changed to a Fury track. :lol

Well, you wouldn't wanna join my rooms then. What's with all the hate towards fury tracks people? They rock just as well as the HD tracks. :? For a game which takes it's tracks from 2 previous versions of the game in HD and then again from the same 2 previous titles in FURY - peeps are going on like the FURY tracks were a bane addition :D

I never heard anyone complain of Amphiseum, Tech de Ra and Talons on Pulse when I played online - or for Modesto on Pure for that matter. But enter Fury, and it seems anyone who has owned Wipeout HD since its launch, just don't wanna come out of their comfort zones and actually practice the FURY tracks now that they are here :D It's been almost a year now too.

If anything, the one track which imo everyone should have a beef with is Metropia Reverse - coz it isn't Metropia White from Pulse - it's different... but No, it's FURY and that's that :D FURY tracks are so different from HD tracks right? wrong! They are all great tracks, and come from the same titles. Give them a chance, and you'll how awesome they are ;)

AG-WOLF, mate, there's nothing to forgive. I hope you can find a PS3 for under said amount, and start to rock with us yet once again. Til then, on the boards :)

yeldar2097
6th July 2010, 12:09 PM
Sod off ACE we all know Talon's Junction should never have gotten past the "twinkle in the milkman's eye" stage.

Don't worry about it AG-wolf, racing with people we know is what counts, doesn't matter if they're having a bad spell race-wise, we just chase them with a plasma til it comes good :beer

ACE-FLO
6th July 2010, 12:14 PM
RIght Yeldy, your goodie bag just got halved in size :D

F.E.I.S.A.R
6th July 2010, 01:13 PM
(off-topic)
When in a Fury room,
Talons Junction Fwd/Rev:
Me:...(says nothing)
Modesto Heights Fwd/Rev:
Me:...
same for The Amphiseum and Tech De Ra.The only thing I'm concerned about is those who I've raced before and lost(yes,I lose races as well,so?)
(on-topic)
Well,it's a shame that removing the OtherOS thing caused this. I wish you the best and that when we do Avalon again,maybe the Fury tracks would not be so bad after all...
PS: Did I race you at least once before?

Dark_Phantom_89
6th July 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm one of the people who says "oh no" when Tech De Ra Forward is selected because I suck at it :paperbag

KIGO1987
6th July 2010, 03:01 PM
I swear at the host when that shitty Modesto Heights track gets selected. Stupid corners in that tunnel, hated it in Pure, same applies in HD. Vertica from Pulse should of taken its spot rightfully so, insanely fast track.

Nothing to apologies for AG-Wolf. Do what other folks have done when having this same problem, get another PS3 when you have the money or ask ProblemSolver (name suits quite well when you think about it) he has this alternate way of getting into the PSN while still using Linux on the PS3 i think. But i think you cant use that backdoor alternative now because there has been a few more updates since then.

AG-wolf
6th July 2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah it was a specific DNS address I believe, they've long since disabled it :/

Glad to hear I'm not the only person who groans whenever I see a Fury track selected... I don't mind Amphiseum in either direction (though it doesn't mean I'm good at it by any means), but Modesto, Tech De Ra, and Talon's Junction are all the bane of my existence... I loved Modesto in Pure, but I canNOT navigate the turns in those tunnels to save my life. TdR is alright until I fall off, and then it's just a futile attempt to not explode as I execute BRs everywhere- pretending I have a hope of catching back up. And for some reason, Talon's junction just doesn't do it for me... boring, and people always pull miles ahead of me :/

Anyway, as it stands, I'll be scarce for a while. School starts back up in a month and a half (wow, that snuck up on me), and at that point I probably won't be on at all. maybe it's time to go back to the older games and improve my laps :P

ACE-FLO
6th July 2010, 04:19 PM
Vertica from Pulse should of taken its spot rightfully so, insanely fast track.

Ya know what I think? I think they should bring back SL to make another expansion pack - and stick Vertica in there with all the DLC tracks from PUre and Pulse also. You're right, Vertica was a wonderful racing track. Its' dynamics just...worked :) Can't say the same for Basilico though, or Outpost7 :lol

KIGO1987
6th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Outpost7 was a joke of a track, while Basilico, especially the Black version was a true bastard of a track, that mag strip was beyond trippy.

blackwiggle
6th July 2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah it's a pity about Sony messing people around with system updates.
I'm resigned to the fact, and as I only use the PS3 for games it doesn't really effect me, just vexes me that the capability has been removed if I ever wanted to use it.
I hope you have some luck getting a cheap second console.

I never had a problem with the Pure/Pulse versions of the FURY tracks, not that they ever got played much.
One of the reasons I don't like the Fury tracks is because they are claustrophobic and seem too narrow.
But the main one is because they are a total PITA to keep any semblance of a racing line on them compared to the HD tracks, even if you make it around some of those ridiculous blind corners cleanly the rest of the track has little banks, dips, humps & bumps that aren't high enough to do a BR off, but are enough to have you craft bobbing up and down and side to side like a row boat in the surf, and that's just going in a relatively straight line.
It might not seem so bad if you race in near or far view, but in cockpit view it makes for a pretty tiring, unenjoyable and frustrating racing in comparison to the HD tracks.

You can compound the experience, just try FURY tracks + FURY AG Systems, it's like somebody replaced the Anti Gravity with the suspension from a Cadillac, and Cadliiac's weren't designed to go at Phantom speed.
Makes me feel like a pimp in a 70's TV show running from the cops.:mr-t

MrSmadSmartAlex
6th July 2010, 06:53 PM
I never heard anyone complain of Amphiseum, Tech de Ra and Talons on Pulse when I played online
Oh really? :D
I hate it in Pulse, and I hate it even more in HD, since it's now about half the width of a ship. XD

Also, O7 is awesome, especially the Black run! I couldn't see it working with HD physics though. :lol

Aeroracer
6th July 2010, 10:47 PM
i prefer hd tracks anyday over those crappy fury tracks but perhaps thats cos im not very good at fury and i tend to win on hd more.....(1 in a 100 instead of 1 in a million

Temet
7th July 2010, 11:09 AM
You all are just fools !!!!!!
Amphiseum and Tech Da Ra are the bests tracks that could be implemented in HD!!!! They are both awesome!
On the other part, yeah Talon is a choice I will never understand, it's the least interesting WO track ever!

For Modesto... well, I personaly hate this but I understand some can love it...

There were so many better tracks to take from Pure or Pulse than Modesto or Talon.

@Wolfy : don't worry Dude, I never raced against you and if one day I do, I'll be too far away to even just see your reactor! :)

OBH
7th July 2010, 11:15 AM
Ive never understood the TJ hatred. You dont see people hating VK or AP as much, and they too are simple, straight lined tracks.

Temet
7th July 2010, 11:19 AM
For what it takes, I don't like VinK or AP so much neither...

... I want "Phenitia Park" and "Gare D'Europa" !!!! (from a discussion with Yeldar yesterday :g )

OBH
7th July 2010, 01:05 PM
Really!!??
Man, i love the tracks which are easy to learn, but difficult to master.

I swear VK has the most hectic races.

blackwiggle
7th July 2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah I agree about Vineta K.
When racing it in reverse in a field of other zoners, I've found that can be won by anybody right up to the last corner of the last lap.
It should be used as the "Penalty shootout track" if ever one was needed for a Wipeout WC .

ACE-FLO
7th July 2010, 01:39 PM
lol, VinK is as described above ^ :+ so bloody true too :D

...and then it's just a futile attempt to not explode as I execute BRs everywhere- pretending I have a hope of catching back up. ... sounds so much like how I race - Kamikaze style :paperbag DNF rules :D kidding :g

ontopic @ AG-Wolf - can I ask what the reason for having other OS installed on your PS3 would be? And why would you (AG-Wolf) get so spun out over the update that disallows for other OS to be installed on a PS3, enough to not wanna sacrifice your PS3's current configuration?

I just wanna better understand this whole issue, is all :)

AG-wolf
14th July 2010, 11:23 PM
I'm keeping OtherOS in case someone comes through with a pretty substantial mod/hack for the PS3; I really like the things I could do with my original Xbox (the big black behemoth) as far as emulators, a media center, loading my games off the internal hard drive, etc, and I'm hoping the PS3 gets some kind of breakthrough along those lines. I already have a spare, pre-Summer-2009 Xbox 360 packed away for JTAG purposes if I ever get around to it, and my Wii is already well on its way to being a much more productive piece of hardware than the stock machine can claim.

But above all of that, it's a matter of principle.

I was already disgusted with how Sony launched the PS3; overpowered, overpriced, and unimpressive. It took about 2 years before even moderately decent games started appearing on the platform, and even then, I have yet to be genuinely impressed or interested in anything beyond Wipeout HD. Between launch and now, Sony has continually stripped the PS3 of features it was originally advertised to include:

flash card readers
4USB ports
ps2 compatibility
OtherOS

To this day, the Blu-Ray drive has yet to be used to full capacity; the only games exceeding Dual-Layer DVD (apx 9GB) sizes are games which simply don't compress audio or video... AC3/MP3 audio compression is hardly a compromise, and Bink, Divx, and h264 are all more than capable quality video codecs... thus, the medium with "endless possibilities" falls short of many of its promises.

I haven't bought into the Blu-Ray phenomenon, either, because Sony basically shoved bags of money down all the different production houses who were once backing HD-DVD, just to get them to convert to BR. About the only things BR offers over HDDVD are 10-20gb more storage, and that funky coating on the data side of the disc... oh, and anywhere from $15 to 25$ higher prices for the same movies (when both formats were on the market). So, personally, having a blu-ray drive inside the machine doesn't do anything for me at all.

The dashboard/interface is unintuitive and frustrating, along with the PSN store. I've had countless problems with my PS3, and while using friends' consoles, where either my gamesaves get deleted or the system itself crashes or it hangs/lags at an integral spot during a game.

In the end, it is my disgust and disappointment with everything Sony has done since the PS3 launched which prevents me from blindly playing along with all the utter BS they keep doing to their customers and fanbase, therefore I will not neuter my current machine, and I refuse to put one more red cent into the pockets of the company in order to acquire a second machine. I love Wipeout, and I love the opportunity to play with everyone here at the forums, but even my dedication to Wipeout isn't enough for me to justify buying a second PS3 or willingly removing any features from my current console.

(note, I said absolutely d*ck about the 360 this entire thread, I am NOT in any way trying to start a flamewar or anything like that. My frustration with Sony is independent of my preference for the 360)

Darkdrium777
15th July 2010, 12:00 AM
The loss of features however was not something Sony wanted to do but they were forced to do it because of the competition and the public that wanted a lowered price. While I certainly got the machine when it was full price, a LOT of people thought it was too expensive, so Sony listened but they had to remove things to lower the price. It was either the PS3 failed [or] they lost a lot of money and the PS3 continued as it was [or] they lost some money but the PS3 lived on in a slightly different form.
You can blame Sony all you want for that but the fact is that these changes were made because Sony heard the outcry for the expensive price.
As for the last change regarding OtherOS, once again this is not something Sony wanted to do I am sure but it was forced on by some hacker guy who thought he was smarter than the system. Turns out his "hack" is nothing more than an insignificance, but his stupidity affected millions of people, who in turn hated him for what he had done.

I am not saying I like that things changed, I would very much appreciate if every single PS3 sold to date was the same as the one I have right now, but unfortunately Sony is a business and at some point they have to think about money. There are examples of other companies doing similar stunts and angering their consumers too ;)

Finally, I hope that one day you can return to racing online, whenever that may be.

JABBERJAW
15th July 2010, 12:07 AM
phenita is my favorite, gare is awesome as well as spilskinanke. I personally love oupost 7, requires some serious skill (which I don't have :) ) to be really good at. I like any track that requires good piloting over good use of weapons.