PDA

View Full Version : Broken left stick

R3BU5ER
30th May 2010, 10:22 AM
Last time i had to buy a new controller due breaking a part of the plastic round the left analogue stick...

Now i feel that the left stick of my new controller is already loos'ning up, it plays like ****.

Am I the only one breaking controllers playing WOHD?

In the end it's more expensive than buying games :(

blackwiggle
30th May 2010, 10:40 AM
I bought a new Sony dualshock 3 last week, and although I don't use the stick, I use the D-Pad, I do think the new controller isn't quite built to the same quality level of my 1st generation sixaxis.
The plastic seems a cheaper quality and cosmetically almost like a very good copy of a Sony controller.

It works fine [actually a more sensitive D-Pad ], but then it's only new, hopefully it has some longevity to it.
The left stick breaking is not uncommon, there are plenty of Youtube videos that show you how to repair it, that's if what's wrong with yours is the same problem.

SaturnReturn
30th May 2010, 12:14 PM
I've broken two L1 buttons and it is very frustrating. As BW says, they don't seem to be built very well. The L1/R1 buttons push against a very flimsy-looking cantilevered bit of moulded plastic. For me it's just not good enough for a controller that costs so much. My first controller seemed to last a long long time, but then the next one broke really soon after.

The latest controller I bought felt dodgy from the start. The L1 button just feels like it already goes too far into the body of the controller. I probably should have sent it back, but it's hard to tell whether something is right if you were previously playing on a broken controller anyway.

At the EWC I found Mad-Ice's controllers also have broken L1 buttons. Somehow he still seems to be able to not just play with the broken controller, but perform with it. Crazy!

tug_14
30th May 2010, 12:49 PM
As usually , a french pilot did it (http://www.youtube.com/user/pirhapac#p/u/52/t_yUE5nAePc) before :rock

joke gentlemen... ^^

but a french did it before !!!!!!!
sorry sat , i stop;)

SaturnReturn
30th May 2010, 12:59 PM
We all know pirahpac is responsible for a lot of firsts in the game, but I very much doubt that breaking a controller is one of them. :P

brummpahh
30th May 2010, 11:40 PM
when you get a new DS3, you can treat the sticks
internals with teflon-spray. Then they will have a good
chance of eternal life. The original lubricant is
gone with the wind in 4 weeks... ;)

R3BU5ER
31st May 2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah I have seen the video's on youtube, but don't feel like doing sort of stuff myself :s

R1 buttons broke?? Do you guys use r1/l1 for sideshift or what?

Brummppah, spraying with teflon spray works good you say, but where do I have to spray them? From the outside in or do I have to remove the ds3's cover and all?

SaturnReturn
31st May 2010, 11:20 AM
Yup, loads of us use L1/R1 buttons for airbrakes. I think most people prefer it.

afuroKy
31st May 2010, 11:35 AM
DualShock 2 was **** already. Only the very first generation on DualShock was well built.
Right now the left stick of my second DS3 (yea the one I intentionally paid 60€ for -_-) is coming loose...

amplificated
31st May 2010, 12:27 PM
+1 for never breaking a controller

yeldar2097
31st May 2010, 01:28 PM
Been using the same DS3 since they first came out, including a good 500-600 hours of Wipeout. Broken the L2 button but that was because I missed the sofa and hit the wall :brickwall

Personally I feel that the DS3 is more solid than the Sixaxes/Sixaxisisisis (?) that I have but that may just be a weight thing. Sixaxis always felt a bit flimsy and light to me. Maybe the older DS3's are built better...or maybe it's my girly-ass soft hands. Handle your pad like you'd handle a woman :nod

afaik IH8YOU's DS3 no longer has either stick because he sawed them off :lol

brummpahh
31st May 2010, 02:09 PM
@R3BU5ER ... hi m8, well you'd have to open
that DS3, which is trivial, but closing it again
is tricky sometimes...
So if you feel uncomfortable about this - let it be.

Just in case you wanna do it:
- disassemble until you can remove the plastic sticks
(just drag 'em a little)
- spray directly into the hole, where the tiny white
stick is located (no worries, no chance of a shortcut,
because the sensor is located outside the stick enclosure)
- reassemble
I'm using "Fin-Super" an industrial brand.
I guess every comparable other brand does the job too, as
long as it does not contain strong solvents.

billychanxtr33m
31st May 2010, 03:46 PM
after killing 2 dual shocks from overplay on my ps2, i alternate between my two DS3s to try and keep them fresh.

R3BU5ER
31st May 2010, 04:07 PM
Well Brummpah, thanx for explaining this.
I will consider it. First I will have to check some youtube movies very closely otherwise I'll only mess up :p I also have another option...

I still have this first ds3 where the plastic round the stick literally broke, and I bought a second-hand controller one time for 15eu wich I think of it's a fake... It looks exactly the same, only the buttons stick out a little, the sticks aren't smooth at all and the r2 doesn't react properly. (in other words an enormous miss-buy) but the cover is good, so was thinking to replace the front of the 'fake' controller with the broken ds3. But It'll be an even more tricky operation.. :p

Will check it out anyway...Yeah Yeldar, also girls like it rough sometimes ;) But I know what you mean. I am trying now to do BR's gently not to hit the sides with the stick too much. And I noticed when you 'roll' the stick round it also does a BR. But that isn't very quick and accurate...

amplificated
31st May 2010, 04:44 PM
Personally I feel that the DS3 is more solid than the Sixaxes/Sixaxisisisis (?) that I have but that may just be a weight thing. Sixaxis always felt a bit flimsy and light to me. Maybe the older DS3's are built better...or maybe it's my girly-ass soft hands. Handle your pad like you'd handle a woman :nod

I never got a DS3, I have two 6A's and they're working more or less as they did when I got them. Only about 300 hours in WOHD though :P

I could never appreciate/actually notice rumble in games anyway, so I don't mind that aspect; but the controllers do feel a little cheap and I bet I could break them in my hands if I wanted to. 'Wish there was an option out there for the PS3 that matched the design of the official PS3 controllers, but had much better build quality.

DreamyElf
31st May 2010, 05:02 PM
i ve never had a problem with my ds3 yet...
beside wipeout, i play a LOT of hack n' slashes (like ninja gaiden,god of war) that really destroy the controllers!

i have one suggestion for you guys :
if you dont like ds3 and prefer the classic ds2, you can always buy an adaptor for 8 euros that will make your ds2 work perfectly with ps3 ;)
i have one and it works perfectly.
sure this way you dont have motion sensitivity, the analog l2 r2 and wireless but you save 40 euro!
think of it and use whatever you like! :)

AG-wolf
2nd June 2010, 10:35 PM
I use a white PSone-era Dual Shock for WOHD... the thing is like a TANK. I can't use the DS3 for the game because the D-Pad has too much travel- it prevents me from executing a barrel roll properly.

I will say, both DS3 controllers I own feel flimsy (on the rare occasions that I use either of them), and the Sixaxis I originally had crumbled under the weight of my fist in one blow.

Side comment: My launch-model DualShock 2 is still going strong, and the sticks aren't limp at all. :3

yeldar2097
2nd June 2010, 10:53 PM
I guess it's just because I have a woman's touch then :p

You're right about the PSX DS's, they will outlive us all (and look badass in the process).

Weird about the DS2's though, I've gone through about 6 of those since their inception, mostly shoulder button / O button / Casing issues.

icarasDragon
5th June 2010, 02:17 AM
I haven't broken mine yet but I can pull the stick 1/4 out of the socket to give it a rough feeling... In fact I did it just then! (and I bought HD a week ago!)
+1 Aus DS3 Durabilty!8)

il_mago_di_Doz
18th June 2010, 11:35 PM
I broke one L2 and a half :lol

I am wondering why we all wipeout pilots are breaking only the left airbreak button? :lol

DreamyElf
11th July 2010, 04:43 PM
what's up guys with the DS3 controllers these days?
a lot of my friends complained lately and say they need a new controller.
should we blame Sony for making them cheap nowadays? is it a conspiracy?:dizzy
or perhaps our fav game is too demanding and those BRs and sideshifts are inevitably destroy the controllers!:lol

yeldar2097
11th July 2010, 06:15 PM
Yes it's definately the Sideshifts and BRs. According to the stats I'm on 900k SS and 500K BRs :dizzy.

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 03:05 AM
what's up guys with the DS3 controllers these days?

The new DualShock3 Controllers are built shiitier than the old Sixaxis. How do i know? Ive got both and compared both, and put both back together again when they got banged up. The old school sixaxis controller is very solid in most places while the Dualshock3 Controller is flimsy and just weak in some areas, for example triggers on the old Sixaxis controller are more of a solid feel and less flimsy to the newer Dualshock3 controllers.

Seems every generation leap is a leap in downgrade build quality in things.

Ive put back together the left side of the banged up last Sixaxis controller i have from when i bought the console that i stuffed up while on Blur. Thats holded together on its left side by adhesive alone. an yet this controller still seems lesser flimsy as the newer (and less damage) DualShock3 Controllers.