PDA

View Full Version : Is there a bug in the Firestar track?

penske
29th May 2010, 11:22 AM
It has been many years since I completed the original (and best IMHO) wipE'out".
This past week I completed the game again (yeah!) but was noticing sound drop-out/frame skipping in the Firestar track (particularly with Rapier class). It only seems to happen when at high speed as I am going over triple turbos -- especially after the second ramp going down that famous set of triple turbos and also upon landing after the third ramp and during the final back stretch (and perhaps one other place) --- this is with the music off (so perhaps it is more noticable?).
This is something I just don't recall from my original play-through. Is this a known bug/limitation in the game or is there something wrong with my system and/or disc?...appreciate any replies/insight in advance. Thanks.

Task
29th May 2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, pretty sure that's a 'clean yer disk' problem. 8 )

penske
29th May 2010, 06:08 PM
I did clean the disc and the problem persisted --- and then I found this video on youtube (see below) and this guy semed to have the same problem so I thought it might be a bug?

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1pbYz_rOo>

penske
30th May 2010, 12:51 AM
Here is another youtube link showing the same problem (stutttering/ sound glitch) when going over certain turbo boosts on Firestar at Rapier class. Can anyone else confirm this and save me the hassle of tracking down a new disc?...thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JzLgIhrvWI

Dan Locke
30th May 2010, 12:53 AM
I've never had that problem.

penske
30th May 2010, 02:19 AM
Dan,
Thanks for the reply...but is that without music on?...with music on, I don't detect any skip either. But with music off and especially through a set of headphones it seems pretty noticable to me. Oh well...perhaps it is off to ebay for me to locate a disc in better condition.

Dan Locke
30th May 2010, 04:42 AM
Ah. I've never played without the music.

lunar
30th May 2010, 08:58 AM
Hi Penske, a new disc won`t help I think, as that sound fluttering effect is just a bug/evidence of 1995 sound programming. It is definitely on all the WipEout discs I`ve played with. I don`t know the cause of it at all, but I think it`s related to your ship going fast so you will hear it less on venom than rapier. You hear it a lot on Firestar because of the nature of the track but I think you get it on any track. I think it occurs with music on or off, but obviously it is more noticeable with the music off. I quite like it, the engine "song" is your speedo on WipEout, and the fluttering effect adds to the atmosphere. I agree with your original post: that game is the best 8)

penske
30th May 2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks Lunar for confirming I'm not crazy. I always play with the music off --- and replaying the game recently I guess I just noticied this more as I was using headphones. I agree it only seems to occur if your ship is going particuarly fast, that's why (at least for me) it seems to be isolated to Firestar at Rapier class, but even at Firestar Venom it can also occur but less so. Still, flaws and all, it remains the greatest wipe'Out" ever (IMHO).

Medusa
30th May 2010, 01:31 PM
it remains the greatest wipe'Out" ever (IMHO)
You are now my friend. *GLOMP* :g

penske
1st June 2010, 02:03 PM
Well, if anyone cares, I downloaded wipe'Out" from the playstation store on to a PS3 and played through the entire game over the weekend --- the same stuttering going over certain (mostly triple) turbos on Firestar (mostly at Rapier class) is still present. So as far as I am concerned this is a confirmed bug/issue. Case closed.

AG-wolf
2nd June 2010, 02:23 PM
Its probably just because the engine noise has reached its highest "pitch" or volume or something, and although the dash plates are supposed to make you go faster, your ship is already making the sound it makes at maximum speed... so this plate says "go faster" and the game says "F*** I DON'T HAVE A SOUND FOR THAT"

lunar
8th June 2010, 01:42 PM
sounds like a good theory, though I`m glad it doesn`t really say "F*** I DON'T HAVE A SOUND FOR THAT" and it goes for silence instead. Another thing about top speed is that turbos become completely ineffective and only make a big, satisfying, but ultimately pointless bang, once you are flat out, and do nothing to your speed. As far as I can tell anyway.

AG-wolf
8th June 2010, 01:53 PM
they're good to use either after a really hairy part of the track where you've lost speed, as you're going up a hill, or in the air... all three of these scenarios are usually where your top speed starts to drop. Rather than the turbo giving you MORE than max speed, they're best for getting back up to max speed (in this game anyway)