PDA

View Full Version : Team Nick!

alterego
28th May 2010, 03:33 PM
Hi All!

As you all know I and other Italian pilots have formed the 'Team Italy', present and very active in social groups.

We have recently discussed about two topics: Fairplay and Team Play.

We noticed that during the online game in 'all vs all' mode it can happen to feel that other pilots play in teams instead of single.

Nothing wrong in this way of playing, we all agree with.... but.... :nod

At this point we wondered how to make clear when we play as a Team than when we play in single 'all vs all'.

We tried to create new nicknames only dedicated to team player.

In our case we had choosen nicks in this form 'Flyng_Pizza_xx1'

Then we tested the use of these nicks a little, asking permission to who was the host in the lobby.

Initial results, in our opinion, are very positive towards a better fairplay.

When we play as a team it's clear that whoever is in first position will not try to obstruct the team mate who follows and the team mate that is behind, playing as a team, will do anything to hinder their opponents in reaching his teammates ahead, during the game.

Besides this idea, this new nick lets a better recognition by all players in the provisional classification that appears to the right of the screen.

During an exciting race we can recognize better the team nick than the personal nick and in this way we know immediately if the pilot, that is ahead or behind, is friend or foe.

Our vision / idea doesn't want to form a requirement for the other teams pilots, but we'll test the implementation of this new nicks system in our small team everytime the circumstances can require / make it possible and with the permission of other pilots.

When we'll wear the team nick during the game, it will be clear to all the other pilots that we play in team mode, not in single.

I really hope that is clear and understood by all of you the reasons and the motivations for this application of a secondary nick and I want to invite you to test the new way of nick in your teams.

Besides what I just explained, the use of team nicknames could be very useful also in anticipation of upcoming events dedicated to the official national teams, like the WWC2010 or other team matches :)

Read You Soon
CdRom

tug_14
28th May 2010, 05:56 PM
"We have recently discussed about two topics: Fairplay and Team Play."

:eek

Fairplay ??? what is this word ....
Do u think , put mines and bombs when u re last with the aim shooting the first the lap following , is fairplay ?
Not the subject , but i want to point something out i see more often actually
And ur teamflying pizza 's friend know what i talk about !!

:beer

leungbok
28th May 2010, 06:42 PM
About that, there's different way to race wipeout online !
Some people prefers to shoot themselves with all the possible weapons they can pick, they have fun with that and it's totally in the game's spirit !
Other people try to race as fast as possible and uses weapons to protect or to pass a contender and aren't agressive with the peacefull racers (yeldar, ace3cube as example) and it's also in the game's spirit !
I don't see what's the problem !! :eek

alterego
28th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Hi All!

From Wikipedia: fair play : Good behavior, following the rules

:)

What Tug says happened, happens and will happen again to me, but I'm not complaining about this, indeed I see it as part of the game, especially if you play in teams.

Can be any type of pilots, from the fastest to the most treacherous and aggressive.

I always thought about wipeout, and who knows me can attest, as a wonderful vehicle through which it is possible create beautiful friendship, but also as a very hard sport, where there are few rules, but very clear.

One of these rules is that anyone can use, if able, the functions of the original game to take advantage, and attitudes that may seem unfair, if they meet the rules (functions allowed) of the game are to be considered valid.

I remember in 'Pure' the weapon pads that never stop.
There were players that stopped on the weapon pads and make massacres between the other players, while running.

It may seem unfair, but if not established a rule that prohibits this behaviour that is lawful, however, allowed because the game itself.

We noticed that only create nicknames team makes it clear immediately that this group of pilots helping each other in the game.

Then play with the team nickname is a very correct way to alert others that this group of pilots play together.

Certainly the game works fine same as it is now, however, it is clear that, when someone plays in team with someone else, if someone is damaged by their play mode, he isn't happy. ;)

then play with the team nickname clear beyond any doubt how the behavior of those pilots.

Dear mates and friends in speed, this is only an experiment in order to create a clear distinction between play as a team or as a single. This system doesn't assure that someone in the last place doesn't put a little bomb behind the next corner :D

Excuse me for my bad english, but it is so. :) :beer

Read You Soon
CdRom

Kyonshi
28th May 2010, 08:56 PM
I see no problem with this feature, but there's something to be made clear:

It must be of everyone awareness and of general agreement among all pilots involved in a race that a group of specific pilots will play as a team against a number of "independent" pilots, otherwise i don't think it should happen, even if the pilots playing as a team have distinctive nicknames. I know i wouldn't agree that this feature would take place in a random online game and i would simply leave the race lobby.

That's what happen during official WWC events for instance. Everyone agrees to race as a team, similar nicknames or not. Now here, there's no problem. What i'm trying to say is that generally, the WipEout formula is the deathmatch formula, and on this is based the main purpose of WipEout, which is one against all.

SaturnReturn
28th May 2010, 10:03 PM
If everyone has the same team name then it should be reasonably obvious after a couple of races. Even if other players weren't informed, people could do it anyway. I've raced people before who clearly weren't hitting each other with weapons and it's frustrating. I think it's commendable to even have put thought and effort into a way to prevent this annoyance for other pilots. :+

il_mago_di_Doz
28th May 2010, 11:26 PM
@tug_14: I have to say a couple of things about bombs :nod

1) I've noticed that it happens tons of time that the first pilot in a race gets hit by a bomb. But, there's a but (not a butt :lol): that bomb isn't necessarily left on the track by the last pilot; it happened to me to leave a bomb while leading a race and then got hitted by the same bomb the next lap! :eek

2) I don't get what's wrong anyway ;)
The only way to hit pilots that are far far ahead is just and only with bombs. And they can just do same, so, what's the problem? :)
Sometimes I'm last, and I get hit by a quake, so is that "unfair" too? :P

3) Why have you said: "And ur teamflying pizza 's friend know what i talk about !! "? Just curious! :beer

@Saturn: I agree with you: it could be frustrating to be in a lobby with pilots that play as a team. It was never been a big problem or anything, but if I can clearly know that they are team-mates by their nicks.... Then I'll face the race in a different way :P

p.s.: I'm absolutely not suggesting to anyone to use or not to use team-names, just telling that it's not a bad idea if someone wants to use them ;)

alterego
29th May 2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Kyonshi, hi all.

I see no problem with this feature, but there's something to be made clear:

It must be of everyone awareness and of general agreement among all pilots involved in a race that a group of specific pilots will play as a team against a number of "independent" pilots, otherwise i don't think it should happen, even if the pilots playing as a team have distinctive nicknames. I know i wouldn't agree that this feature would take place in a random online game and i would simply leave the race lobby.

That's what happen during official WWC events for instance. Everyone agrees to race as a team, similar nicknames or not. Now here, there's no problem. What i'm trying to say is that generally, the WipEout formula is the deathmatch formula, and on this is based the main purpose of WipEout, which is one against all.

Dear mate, I totally agree with you. :)

who use team nicknames must notify that to the other pilots and there must be an agreement among all those running in a lobby. We ask for this permission during our testing races to the host of a lobby.

Is also obvious that if I go into a lobby already active, where I see some similar and some different nicknames, certainly the similar nicks act like a team.

Besides all this, there is a certain formality in dress the nick of team, that gives to this great game the reality of a sport.
A Sport that is conducted among pilots full of desire to win, but also animated by a great mutual respect, while the hardness of this game.

A sport that unites us and makes us Friends in Speed! :beer

I would say at this point to use this thread from now on to declare openly and officially the team nicknames matching the personal nickname.

I am in charge of keeping the list as they accumulate, a bit like I do already for years of birth of the pilots.

Read You Soon
CdRom

ps I make a distinct message for the list. ;)

leungbok
29th May 2010, 07:02 AM
The only way to hit pilots that are far far ahead is just and only with bombs.
There's an other way : to train and become faster !

Personaly i don't see the point in hitting a pilot who's far far ahead when i'm last ! What an idea ! :eek
I'm not frustrated or jealous when someone is fast, i prefer to absorb bombs and mines and maybe catch some contenders hitting them with rockets, missiles... barrel rolling and if i'm lucky, maybe (with help from turbos) to catch the leader ! I don't know, but i would be prouder of that even if i don't win than if i win just because bombs lasts too much time :brickwall

il_mago_di_Doz
29th May 2010, 07:20 AM
I'm not saying I'm running with the only aim to bomb the first pilots :lol
Just saying that I don't get this fierceness to that bomb-thing that I've heard so many times in here. I've always thought about it as a part of the game, also when I'm the one in the first positions... Never seen anything weird with leaving bombs or other items on the track.

Leungbok you didn't get the spirit of my previous post: I don't hit pilots because I'm frustrated or jealouse, c'mon! :redface:
I hit them because it's part of the game.

Well I'm going off topic, so sorry for that, let's talk about team nicks :beer

leungbok
29th May 2010, 07:43 AM
Leungbok you didn't get the spirit of my previous post: I don't hit pilots because I'm frustrated or jealouse, c'mon! :redface:
I hit them because it's part of the game.

I'm not targeting you particularly ;)
I talk about all the people that uses bombs when they're last. Yes it's part of the game, but this is not a reason to use it, lol (for me, ok ! people can do what they wants ^^).

il_mago_di_Doz
29th May 2010, 07:53 AM
In some cases I can agree with you. The same thing happens when I'm first and the second pilot is >5seconds behind. I don't leave mines or bombs because I don't need to rage against anyone with no reason :cowboy

But if I start a race and got hit by several rockets, mines, bombs (or whatever :lol) and I want to "payback" the pilots that hurted me...... I can just leave a tiny shiny little bomb and never give up! 8)

Happy to have clarified this sensitive subject with you :beer

leungbok
29th May 2010, 08:44 AM
There's one case where using bombs when you're last is almost a duty : when you play a team match ! There you have to do anything you can to help the team and to allow your mates to take the first place to gain more points ! ;)

tug_14
29th May 2010, 08:59 AM
"In some cases I can agree with you. The same thing happens when I'm first and the second pilot is >5seconds behind. I don't leave mines or bombs because I don't need to rage against anyone with no reason "

+1000 mago
i feel the same

alterego
29th May 2010, 09:07 AM
Hi All.
The use or abuse of the weapons is in the dna of the game from its start long time ago ;)

I speak only about a clear distinction between the race in single vs the race in team.

simple example: I race in team with il mago, but with our personal nicks. The others pilots can think all they want about, but no existing proof that i lay down a bitter bombs from my last position to obstacle the first and permit to my friend il mago to win.
It's all regular, it's a hard sport with hard rule no problem, but.....

If i dress team nick, it's clear to all the others pilots my team behaviour: For sure I lay the bitter bomb in the last position to favour my mate in the front :)

But again, the real reason of the team nickname is the explicit and formalize a game mode different from that of all vs all.

I think in the future in the list of the online lobbies i'll see some team nickname and, in this case, when I'll join to this lobby I already know that inside the style of game is by team and not individual.

In my little opinion this is the correct way to a better fairplay in this hard sport! :)

Read You Soon
CdRom

alterego
29th May 2010, 09:19 AM
Hi All

I hope soon appear others team nicks and every time we can arrange a team challenge we can use them with a lot of fun in name of our friendship in speed :D :beer

Read You Soon
CdRom

This is the List (I add the new team nick here for update the list):

'Team Italy' dress the Nickname 'Flying_Pizza_xx1'

Flying_Pizza_bb1 > alteregorr
Flying_Pizza_gg6 > shawnfrecle
Flying_Pizza_ss8 > flaflasat
Flying_Pizza_nn3 > il mago di doz
Flying_Pizza_rr7 > chris redfield
Flying Pizza_mm2 > nexus72

ShawnFrecle
29th May 2010, 12:26 PM
Well, there's not much to add at the words of my mates :). I think race in a team is another point of quality of Wipeout; you can feel how is deep this game only when you discover that it's not only a shoot & run thing! Race in a team is also a good thing for the players that aren't very fast, or does not have much experience.
I mean, when some of you guru pilots come in a lobby, and race after race you see the same pilot first, well maybe things could be annoying, not only for the others pilots, but for all the pilots in the lobby :). So, race can become more challenging if 2 or more players try to slow the faster guy; i think this is the same spirit of the races all vs all; furthermore race in a team it's not so simple :g.

Definitely the team-nick, clan-nick or whatever you want call, is a nice addition not only to the gaming experience, but for the friendship experience ;)

Woopzilla
29th May 2010, 12:54 PM
Hmm, I know I would feel intimidated after joining a game and seeing a horde of identical nicks staring at me. I think it's the leagues and such where you should always have to observe who is behind and infront and what weapon you should use or absorb. Aren't publics more a place to 'let loose' rather than practice team racing?

I'm not 100% against the idea though, it's just that it's hard enough to find a phantom game nowadays and I wouldn't like to join one where you might feel 'targeted'. Phantom doesn't always get new regulars (most people I race against are now all familiar to me)... new aspiring phantom class racers will maybe be more intimated if they keep seeing teams all over the place.

Personally, I'm a very pacifist type player (you can even see in the avalon videos that I sometimes absorb bombs when I'm just 2s ahead), but I will shoot back in full force if I get hit repeatedly. If I run into several lapped bombs while in first place I will start dropping all mines and bombs I get to make up for the penalty I incurred, no matter how far ahead I was. ;) The only time I drop bombs when last is in 1v1s though, haha... since everyone seems to do it to me, grrr. :p

ShawnFrecle
29th May 2010, 02:36 PM
I think when a player joins a lobby where are this weird names all similar he thinks "What the" and 90% quit the room. In fact, this type of racing it's obvious, if in that moment a newbie or a low level joins, clearly the experienced team doesn't "target" the pilot; but when someone here in the forum, or a well known pilot, joins the lobby, he knows that in race the team try to help each other. The nick names are used for this, for say hey, we are a team, so we try to race more pilots like one; doesn't matter if the player is a good friend or other; you are advised ;)... If you want you can call others wipers and make a friendly :). And then, let's get out together for a beer! :beer

Obiously the nicks will be used rarely, in special occasions, particular nights, so I think there's no reason to worry :). It's only another concept to play wipeout, very funny and at the sunlight with the team-nick :)