PDA

View Full Version : A note about deliberate trolling

infoxicated
28th May 2010, 10:09 AM
Deliberate trolling gets you a 4 point infraction and lasts for 30 days.

Doing it again adds the same amount of points and extends the term by the same amount of days, i.e. you don't serve the sentences concurrently - you serve one after the other.

Should you break the point threshold of 10, you'll automatically be soft-banned (pilots license suspended) until you've worked off enough points to get you under 10 again.

So, trolling a bunch of times will extend the ban quite a bit, which may seem harsh, but then if you're mindful of that then you're unlikely to keep breaking the rules.

However, if you lose your temper and are abusive to other members by way of... say... posting a picture of them and insulting them, on top of all the other trolling that you did at the same time, you're likely to find yourself banned for a very loooong time indeed because that's just downright unacceptable behaviour and you should be taking a long hard look in the mirror.

There are other infractions that "extend" - these are;

Abuse of the thread tagging system - 2 points
Necro-posting - 3 points
Posting of a large image - 5 points
Insulted Other Member(s) - 5 points
Posting spam - 5 points
Posting a number of large images - 8 points

So, should yourself or another member find themselves banned for committing any of the above offences a number of times, well, now you know why and can be mindful that it was a self inflicted ban.

blackwiggle
28th May 2010, 04:36 PM
Rob.
You are going to have to be more clear cut about this "Necro posting" as there seems to be a contradiction with what the moderators are telling people to do, as in don't start another thread when there has already be one started on the same topic.
So if they follow the mods instructions to the letter for fear of breaking that forum rule and bring up an old thread [this especially applies to new forum members],it would appear they are now going to get in trouble for this new forum rule?

When is a thread is dead, and who decides it?

SaturnReturn
28th May 2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think it's as much to do with the age of the thread as the value of the post. If it's a pointless post then maybe it would be worth an infraction. If it's on topic and continues the discussion then it's fine with me, whatever the age. Others may disagree, but I think there will always be differences in the way we do things and any infraction takes a level of consideration and judgement.

Aeroracer
29th May 2010, 12:39 AM
these penalties are all nice and good but what about
positives for doing something really good for the benifit of many..

there should be a way to have points removed for your crimes if you were to do something really good..make for a good balance and gives players opurtunity to make amends if they wish so..

infoxicated
29th May 2010, 01:45 AM
Funny you should say that.

Once upon a time we had a reputation system to do this kind of thing.

But some people did bad things with it and we had to turn it off.

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th May 2010, 09:11 PM
If it's on topic and continues the discussion then it's fine with me

What if it is on topic but does not really continue the discussion? Is it considered a pointless post and thus I get a demerit point?

infoxicated
29th May 2010, 10:35 PM
It's highly unlikely that you would.

Dan Locke
30th May 2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah; the mods here are pretty lenient when it comes to resurrecting old threads (I remember one of them - I can't remember who, sadly - telling me that it was OK to post in threads that had been dormant for years); "necro-posting" would be more along the lines of thread-bumping.

infoxicated
30th May 2010, 01:10 AM
That's exactly it, Dan - the infraction title is kind of ambiguous.

Aeroracer
31st May 2010, 12:32 AM
Mmmmmmm.
so if my caculations are correct...

if i troll 3 times i wil get 12 points and and 90 days in the sin bin....

obviously trolls appear are viewed as unpopular on this site as they were in lord of the rings film where they just get banned here and not shot with an arrow like in the film..

SaturnReturn
31st May 2010, 11:12 AM
Should you break the point threshold of 10, you'll automatically be soft-banned (pilots license suspended) until you've worked off enough points to get you under 10 again.

@jasmin - I take this to mean that you will get 90 days worth of infractions, but that the first of 4 points will run out after 30 days, which means you will be under 10 points ( i.e. on 9 points) after one month and the auto-suspension will wear off. However, if you trolled a number of times and were given several more infractions after breaching the ten point limit, then these will continue to add up to a longer sentence, because you have to work more off before you're under 10 points.

AG-wolf
5th June 2010, 01:14 PM
the only problem is that a lot of these things are subjective; what may be little more than a civil but energetic discussion/argument/exchange may be viewed as something inappropriate, rude, or trolling to someone else.

In situations like that, I should hope there's a human margin to play with a bit... or maybe an ability to make appeals? lol

regarding blatant BS, though- this seems like a potentially reasonable approach. Some people really don't have anything better to do than try to cause problems here, so it's good to have a defined approach to dealing with them.

KIGO1987
29th June 2010, 08:36 AM
what may be little more than a civil but energetic discussion/argument/exchange may be viewed as something inappropriate, rude, or trolling to someone else.

Was thinking about that.

What i do miss from the good days here is the epic bitch offs between AG-Wolf and Darkdrium777 from previous years. Became really good reading material, and a good lol as well, it made you think more about each side of the argument. Even though the discussion where very 'energetic' so to speak.

infoxicated
29th June 2010, 01:14 PM
The problem is that when people get overly emotive in their arguments they can be wrongly interpreted.

Those were not the "good old days" - the good old days were when folk treated each other with respect and didn't resort to bitching or any other negative tactic. I'll concede that it was a short window of, say, six years, but it definitely existed.

That's not to say that there isn't space for heated discussion, it's just when people stoop to personal attacks or blatant antagonising that it's something we don't want on here.

KIGO1987
29th June 2010, 06:36 PM
Fair enough.

All in all, to maintain the integrity of the forum.

Dan Locke
4th July 2010, 09:29 PM
Wait a minute; I'm gone for a few weeks and KIGO's back?!

ACE-FLO
5th July 2010, 11:05 AM
Yeah, Kigo is back, Dan_Locke :) is that a problem for you? I don't see how it can be, as both situations were unrelated.

KIGO1987
5th July 2010, 11:18 AM
Im not really sure if this should be discussed. I would want to avoid an epic shitstorm at all costs.

ACE-FLO
5th July 2010, 11:37 AM
Good point man :) i like it when it is peaceful :)

Dan Locke
5th July 2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Kigo is back, Dan_Locke :) is that a problem for you?
No. It's just very, very surprising, given Lance's numerous comments on the matter.

If KIGO's had a change of heart, I welcome him back wholeheartedly.

JABBERJAW
5th July 2010, 05:44 PM
Rob, when did Caz: first start the wip3out.de forum? You took over in 2002? correct?

infoxicated
7th July 2010, 11:10 AM
I think he started it in January 2000. I joined the old EzBoard in July and took over in November that year, I believe, creating WipEoutZone during December 2000 and launching it in January 2001.

kanar
7th July 2010, 11:30 AM
... creating WipEoutZone during December 2000 and launching it in January 2001.

Big Thanks for that :)