PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Life-time goal?

UB3R~JKP
24th May 2010, 11:55 PM
well, what has been the best thing you have done with your life so far?

-Well, when i was 13 I got selected from a 6,000 people shortlist to work on a BBC TV Program called 'Level Up', on this I got to do a work experience for a full week in Activision's London office and also worked for traveller's tales for sa bit. Then after a small break I got to go to Dreamworks LA to advertise and pitch the game 'over the hedge' to some DW Executives and the director of the film...was so bloody great.:D

ACE-FLO
25th May 2010, 12:20 AM
I'm a humble sort. Never had much ambition to be somebody. Just wanted to be liked as a child, was bullied up to the point I learnt to fight back. Took up Muai Thai and learnt to use nunchucks, so I could be popular in college - hence I effed up college, and UNI too. Idiotic. That was over 16-17 years ago.

When I was 24, I got given a break, to work in a publishing house, selling advertising (telesales) and to my surprise - I had the gift. Made top saleman, in a month, beat the companies sales records in a 3 months, and was feared by the sales team as one who can close on the first call. I used to be proud of that. But what's there to be proud about when you sell throught the skin of your teeth, by telling lil pork pies? I figured this out much later in life...

My real lifetime goal, is to make my parents proud of me, to look after them in old age, and to not stick them in some old persons home for them to wait to die... I wanna get married and have kids, so my parents can take joy from seeing them grow up. I wanna be a real man and face up to the responsibilites that others don't...

Currently, I have made features editor for a B2B magazine and have been in this role for over 3 years... it's not my greatest achievement, Nothing material really is...

The greatest acheivement in my life is knowing that I made my mum and dad smile. Simple, but true... :)

EDIT: In 2006, I went for the Umrah Pilgrimage to the holy city of Makkah, in Saudi Arabia. And I went during the holy month of Ramadhan, (was October to Novemebr in 2006) when the Muslim world is fasting for 30 days. No food, or water duriing the daylight hours - and this, in a desert country - it was so hot, you couldn't beleive... A whole month, the most amazing experience I've ever had, I can say with hand on heart, I climbed a mountain in the desert, when the sky was highest in the sky! I walked amongst millions of people at the same time, going to the same place - for the same reason, to worship the Creator of the Universe! I fasted not only with my mouth and belly, but with my lips and tongue, so I wouldn't offend or hurt anybody! I got to kiss the Hajar Aswad, the stone with the fragrance of heaven - and it blew me away! I got to witness the Lord Creator, work his miracles in sublte ways, meant only for my eyes, so I could recognize his mercy! I felt the brotherhood of man, and the feeling of unity and peace that followed! I saw charity like I couldn't fathom here, where a man will go without - so someone else can go with, daily! I saw humanity in its' purest form, and it breaks me to write it here - but as I write this, a tear does flow down my eye... for me, that learning experience has been the one factor in my life which has singlehandedly had the most iunfluence on my life - and for the better. It tought me tolerance, understanding and above all, it showed me that i learnt to love, becasue i love to learn...

UB3R~JKP
25th May 2010, 12:22 AM
Jeez Ace, that was a great reply ;_:

ACE-FLO
25th May 2010, 12:26 AM
:) thank you JKP, My UBer Bro! :)

I did once date a B-list celebrity though :lol

AG-wolf
25th May 2010, 01:11 AM
I've never asked for much in life... I was born 9 years after my sister. My mother had moved to South Africa and married an Englishman she met while she was down there. I was conceived in ZA and born here in the states after her divorce.

She's an artist, was in college (http://www.risd.edu) during the 60s, always an existentialist. We lived with my grandparents until I was 5 (since my ma had just gotten back to the US); my grandfather was my father figure... he had lived through the depression, was a scientist and meteorologist, soft-spoken and very altruistic. My grandmother is a witty and intelligent southern belle from Mississippi, almost Scarlet from Gone With the Wind.

As a little kid, I spent my time outdoors observing the world around me. I often asked lots of questions and was met with intelligent explanations from my grandfather and encouraging insight from my mother... they often made me investigate things I was curious about, so that I had a better comprehensive understanding rather than simply accepting a single answer... my mother even had me questioning myself at a young age.

I have always found beauty in the world around me, enjoyed simple pleasures... and never had interest in anything productive...

Whenever anyone asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I never answered fireman, astronaut, businessowner, father, or any other cliche bullsh*t... I never had an answer at all. I never understood why I had to do anything in particular at all...

I've finished public school.
I've finally started college
I've bought (and sold) my own car
I've worked retail
I've worked factory
I've loved, lost, and lamented; both men and women
I've bought Lots of Stuff
I smoke weed
I've nearly been an alcoholic
I beat Asayyeah on Terramax :g

But there's no real driving influence or interest in the world for me... I like looking, I like seeing, I like feeling, but all of the things which society considers "accomplishments" or achievements or anything like that are all relative, or nearly superficial.

The only thing I can really consider my own single most significant achievement thus far is the exposure I've had to every aspect of the world around me... the people I've met, the good times and bad, my own personal thoughts... At 26, I've still got a long way to go, but I've already begun to reevaluate a few things in my life, and I'm slowly starting to realize I value my time with other people most of all. I think the next 5 years for me will see the end of further gaming, if not abandoning the old stuff entirely as well.

I want to travel
I want to live in a small house away from thick civilization, by myself or maybe with just a dog... this may seem contradictory, but it's because I also cherish having an escape. I guess also because:
I don't want to deal with any more people drama
I don't want to work
I want to be outside every day

I don't know where I'm going or what I'm doing, but I don't really care until someone else imposes some kind of expectation or obligation upon me.

Think of me as Charles Bukowski, with less emotional expression lol

(also sorry for the retardedly long post, things have been on my mind lately and it all kinda flowed to my fingers lol )

ONlock
25th May 2010, 05:31 AM
Kudos for this year's most original thread.

Don't really have anything to contribute with, though. Maybe some other time, if I feel like it.

Mr Phlanj
25th May 2010, 07:05 AM
I think going to paris but only seeing the bar and none of the city was quite a achievement :D

Dark_Phantom_89
25th May 2010, 09:17 AM
I'd say my biggest achievement thus far was probably getting to see the Queen at my local town hall when I lived in London. I was nominated for an award and had to go there to pick it up.

As for my life-time goal, I'd like to get married and have kids. A bit of a boring goal I know, but it's what I'd love.

I'd like to go travelling before I do that though. America, Australia and Japan are on my Top 3 places I'd love to go to.

mdhay
25th May 2010, 01:47 PM
I did want to work at Studio Liverpool, but Obviously, I can't. So, I reckon I could work at Media Molecule. Need to put my talents to use. :D

Koleax
25th May 2010, 10:00 PM
I once ran 224 miles in two weeks (16 miles a day for 14 days straight).

I drew a slapstick detective noir comic strip in my high school newspaper for two years, a fulfillment of a dream. At the national student journalism convention in San Francisco, our newspaper won 4th place best of show. One of the judges singled out my strip as one of the unique things about our paper that personally impressed him.

Hmm... well, for a while I was the highest ranked American for Zone mode on Connavar's site, until DeepMix added some more scores. :)

There are other things that give me an immense amount of personal pride, such as my art, the fact that I live on my own and lead an independent life with a job that I enjoy, that I can buy the things I want even though I don't make much money, that I have been witness to so much beauty and can experience it without cynicism, and that I've met certain people.

Perhaps most important, and most personal, that I have been able to realize that I am dreaming while I am dreaming, and stay dreaming with complete lucidity. Life-altering experiences, those are.

I thought from reading the title of this thread that it was going to be about future goals. I feel like there's something else I've done that's gotten national or international attention.... oh! I once wrote a few articles for Inside Mac Games back when it was a CD-ROM publication in the 90s. See, stuff like that.