PDA

View Full Version : I am a total idiot

gordo1974
21st May 2010, 08:41 PM
So, after a while off HD due to work, I pick up it again and decide to make a real run at transedance (only zico and four medal on elite campaign left). I try Chenghou at phantom a few times, with the usual "Christ this is manic".
Anyway, 10 attempts in, i come through the last chicane in first place. I catch it out of the corner of my eye, but block it out completely. "This is a time to focus" I say to myself.
I hold it together through the hairpin, but get rocketed going up the slope.
I manage to regain first with some fancy side shifting (Thanks Saturn and Yeldar for the vids) through the right left and cross the line in First.

Queue me jumping up shouting
"F**king get in, you beauty etc etc". and throw the controller down on the floor, really really pleased with myself.

Only to hear the tele say to me
"final lap"

I still had a lap left.
:paperbag
"Damn"

SaturnReturn
21st May 2010, 08:43 PM
Hehe, we've all been there. I've done that several times in online races. Sometimes 4 laps online is already too much.:mad:

IH8YOU
21st May 2010, 08:45 PM
Lawlz - I've done that COUNTLESS times in online races. I drop the controller to run and have a piss, only to come back to disappointment.

And this wasn't during extended races - these were "normal" 3, 4 or 5 lap races... :paperbag

stin
21st May 2010, 09:29 PM
LOL!, we are on the same boat!

Seriously I had done that, thinking great finishing line and suddenly, music still keep going and I said to myself....."Oh ****!"

stevie:blarg

ProblemSolver
21st May 2010, 11:13 PM
@gordo1974: There is a slight enhanced version of the experience you have
made. Happens online at times. xD

UB3R~JKP
21st May 2010, 11:21 PM
I am also ehrm *cough* a culprit to this crime. >_>

Koleax
21st May 2010, 11:51 PM
I'm more likely to be guilty of the opposite (holding on to a boost or weapon across the finish line thinking I have another lap left). :(

ACE-FLO
22nd May 2010, 02:46 AM
I must be the biggest idiot here then, coz I'm guilty of both... no wonder I never finish first :D :bomb

SuperNova
22nd May 2010, 04:24 AM
Haha, Im pretty sure everyone's done this before, in some form or another. :D

KIGO1987
22nd May 2010, 12:50 PM
Damn, ive done this myself a few times online, particularly during Avalon. Holding onto first place with a hair strand length, gunning it through the finish grid then the drop the controller out of pure exhaustion, only the hear the pommy chick say final lap.

.......then quickly thumbling around to get the controller back in my hands, but it doesnt matter by the time i do. Followed by a bunch of hardcore swearing. All that effort wasted!

someguy789
22nd May 2010, 05:01 PM
I did that on the same race once :(
I'm used to racing on rapeier so whenever I go on phantom I think lap 4's the final one...

amplificated
22nd May 2010, 05:31 PM
I've done this a number of times as well, including online. Usually I just put the controller down for a second before realising something is amiss, and I'm able to still put in a fight for the rest of the race :P

KIGO1987
22nd May 2010, 05:47 PM
lol same. Online its worse because your rep is at stake.

Put down the controller, the look up at the screen....... micro second pause then followed by a milestone moment including the word ****! then grabbing a hold of the controller as quick as you can. Surprisingly i have come back on a win in a few situations like this, when the weapon pads gives you all the ammunition to claim back the spot that was rightfully yours :g

MiguelX69
22nd May 2010, 08:26 PM
Ouch, that went bad... It happens to all of us. But remember, wipeout is a sticky game, if you can do it once, you can do it forever!

Vilael
23rd May 2010, 08:20 PM
ROFL. Been there, done that.

I don't have much time to play, sometimes I squeeze in time when my mind is really on something else I'm doing.

"This is gunna take a bit to compile, I've got time for a few laps".

Then I cross the finish line and as I'm preparing to get back to whatever it was I was doing, I hear "Final lap".

I had wondered if it was just me that did that! :clap

Motorsagmannen
23rd May 2010, 08:57 PM
i think we all have crossed that road. and even more so after the feature that lets you decide the amount of laps online. ao many time have i dropped the controller down after the 4th lap of a flash race... just to realize it has been bumped up to 5 laps lol.
but even before this i used to **** up at phantom as well :P

infoxicated
23rd May 2010, 09:08 PM
Back on the original PlayStation, my mate and I would always race against each other in Gran Turismo over 3 laps. I won a high percentage of the time, and would pull on the hand brake as I crossed the finish line and pull a 180 to celebrate. This drove him mad, which only made me do it all the more.

He got better at it over time, but there was one circuit he could never beat me on - the High Speed Ring, so one time he sat for an entire day just learning that track until he was perfect at it, then invited me round later that night.

Luring me into his trap, he set up a race at the High Speed Ring and, sure enough, he was several car lengths ahead of me after the first lap. Try as I might I couldn't reel him in, getting all out of shape and losing more time to him by putting two wheels on the grass at one point.

As he came up to the finish line on lap two he slammed on the hand brake and pulled a 180, raising his fist in victory as I roared by on screen. This was the moment he realised that all his practice races had been the default 2 laps and this was a 3 lap race. "OH NO!" he squealed, trying to get his car pointed back the right way.

It was no use him trying - even through the tears of laughter I was miles ahead and still the king of the High Speed Ring! :D

Such was his humiliation that since then I don't think I've made the same mistake myself. :)

ACE-FLO
23rd May 2010, 09:14 PM
LOL Rob, that was an excellent example and hella funny :D

Motorsagmannen
23rd May 2010, 09:29 PM
@rob: about GT games i always use that handbrake 180 finish myself, never actually did a lap early but plenty times have i ended up maybe a foot too short of the finishline standing there for some secs before realizing the timer is still running lol. usually nothing a quick reverse cant fix but still humiliating :g

Vilael
23rd May 2010, 10:03 PM
OMG, that story is hilarious. I'd love to have been watching that one.

Reminds me of a friend of mine when I was living in Vegas (and much younger). He was 10 years younger than me, and his mode of transportation was a moped. (starving college student and all).

Anyway one night he was coming over to my home and when he walked in he was busting up laughing.. it took me a while to get the story out of him.

Anyway, it was late, and dark... and he's sitting alone at the red stop light on his moped (on West Sahara)... and this guy pulls up next to him on a motorcycle with this hot babe riding behind him.

He looks over at the guy, and revs his little moped engine a few times... the guy and his GF laugh and he starts revving his engine...

The light turns green, the race is on! ...and the motorcycle is gone in the blink of an eye, of course... but, not to fear.. just barely up the road, he had run out of gas.

My friend passed by him and his embarrassed female rider as they're on the side the road, pedaling his moped like a madman and laughing maniacally as he passed!

It was just entirely too funny.

ProblemSolver
23rd May 2010, 10:09 PM
@Rob & Vilael: ROFL xD

KIGO1987
24th May 2010, 01:47 AM
and would pull on the hand brake as I crossed the finish line and pull a 180 to celebrate.

This is my landmark trait on Gran Turismo as well. Also on Ridge Racer. Get the tail of the car out and swing it around.

Bit of a habit i have in real life too
http://i45.tinypic.com/wtj6fs.jpg

We should race on Gran Turismo 5 in the future. Join Xtriko and i in a few drift online rounds in our Subaru's on Eiger Nordwand :) Xtriko is a Drift Portuguese King in his 05 STi must be the power of Nando's Chicken.

MiguelX69
24th May 2010, 09:37 PM
Today happenned to me. I was on an Elite Flash Race @Moa Therma and at the final of the third lap I stopped accelarating... Then I hear the "Final Lap"... :P Lucky me I was able to still finish first place.

Mr Phlanj
24th May 2010, 09:49 PM
it may not be a racing game but its humiliating.

it was 1998/9 and tekken 3 had just come out. haydn bought it and we played ALL DAY. we didnt bother about arcade we just played Vs mode over.. and over... and over... and over again.

we decided to end this epic campain on a nice rounded number.

the end result was 1 win to me and 299 wins to haydn.......

....god damit

Motorsagmannen
25th May 2010, 02:55 PM
oh my god phlanj... thats epic.
and sad... all at the same time.
but tekken 3 was awesome though :P

F.E.I.S.A.R
25th May 2010, 03:21 PM
I know that this thread is mostly about race endings. But what about race startings?
There was once where I thought that there was no auto-start,so I let my parents watch a recorded program. More than five(?) minutes into the program,I suddenly switched back to the input the PS3 was on and then quit the race.I think quite a few races might have taken place....and the host was just staying on the start grid! Guess who was the host in this scenario?
Now,when my parents want to watch the recorded program,I remember to leave the room.

Mr Phlanj
25th May 2010, 04:29 PM
oh my god phlanj... thats epic.
and sad... all at the same time.
but tekken 3 was awesome though :P

im sure haydn will be here to gloat when he see this :P.

the worst racing start thingy ive had is on one of the few times haydn bought his ps3 to my house and i was able to play WOHD for the fisrt time in ages. There quite a few pilots in the game and i was all pumped up and then 3..2..1..go!! and then i found out my controler had died ><