PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Techniques

WMJ
24th April 2010, 06:18 PM
Since I recently started with this game I was wondering what kind of advanced techniques there are to reach the best time attack times :). I read some things about brake tapping on boostpads for example. Is there any difference between using left and right brake taps and do the analogue buttons of the neGcon affect this?

I tried getting a somewhat decent run on Talon's Reach of 1:19.7 (http://vimeo.com/11191021) but I seem to have a consistently lower speed than in the run by Manuel Chau and compared to the world record I would lose about 1 second per lap. What are the main areas where I could improve this?

stin
24th April 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi and welcome to the board. Yes that`s Mano but, there is asayyeah for you to see;)

Air brakes is the only way to use apart from shortcuts.

Here is the link----> http://www.youtube.com/user/Asayyeah#p/u/22/AGrkmk43Rog

Enjoy;)

stevie:)

JABBERJAW
25th April 2010, 12:59 AM
for xl, only tap on pads, as many as you can hit, try not to turn to hard, and pitch control is key. Negcon is the best. the brake tapping is a rythm thing, you need to practice. 2097 is another story though, much harder

WMJ
25th April 2010, 03:57 PM
That's certainly a very impressive video from Asayyeah :).

for xl, only tap on pads, as many as you can hit, try not to turn to hard, and pitch control is key. Negcon is the best. the brake tapping is a rythm thing, you need to practice. 2097 is another story though, much harder

Thanks, I was wondering if there are more subtleties to it. Like the right shoulder button of the neGcon is analogue. Is it sufficient to use only that button and press it only a little bit on each boostpad or should I press it hard? Basically, what is the best way to get the most speed from these boostplates (I only have XL btw)?

JABBERJAW
25th April 2010, 11:37 PM
tap quickly on the boost pad. It does matter which brake, sometimes one gives more boost than the other, PRACTICE :) You can't fly like Arnaud's video in XL, since XL is less floaty. He is faster in XL timewise on that track btw than in 2097. Sometimes if you ride the wall just right, you get boosts, even in XL. OH, your speeds will not be as high as that video, I think the best speed I got coming off that first downhill has been around 440 or so in XL. I noticed in your video, when you swung out in the last gradual tunnel turn, you got more speed than holding the line, I knew it was like this with the other ships, but not with the piranha.

My prediction is that You will be pysched as your time continues to go down to 1:16, then you will start getting ticked off. The track looks easy, but it is difficult to hold the exact line to break 1;15

blackwiggle
26th April 2010, 12:09 PM
Strange coincidences.
I was doing a search for a NegCon photo to tell them what it was, a few clicks of the mouse later I found myself watching Asayyeah & AG-Wolf's 2097 video's.

I think since HD/Fury have been pretty much BR out by Yelder,Pira & Leungbok we might reintroduce the new kids on the block to some 2097 WO3 & WO3SE challenges in ARENA.

PM me if anybody thinks it's worth while.

Dan Locke
26th April 2010, 03:34 PM
I read somewhere that gently scraping the wall increases your speed by a little bit. On a straightaway, it's fairly easy to "grind" along the wall for a long time, and that's probably the best way to make the most of this mechanic.

xtriko
2nd May 2010, 01:48 PM
I remember that but on WO3

Dan Locke
2nd May 2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah; the boost is pretty obvious in that one. I was unsure about XL, though.

JABBERJAW
3rd May 2010, 02:10 AM
xl has some places, but not others, actually wo3 is like that too, except more areas, and it also sucks you into the wall if you do it in the wrong places (my least favorite part of wipeout 3)

AG-wolf
3rd May 2010, 03:12 PM
Strange coincidences.
I was doing a search for a NegCon photo to tell them what it was, a few clicks of the mouse later I found myself watching Asayyeah & AG-Wolf's 2097 video's.hahaha, but my videos are specifically without the NeGcon :P I can't use that goofy thing to save my life lol

Regarding the brake-tapping over dash plates, I though that only worked with Piranha and the NeGcon...

JABBERJAW
4th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Eric, it works for Piranha, and any controller. No other ships though

yeldar2097
7th May 2010, 05:31 AM
Knew about the brake tapping, didn't know there was any diff between XL and 2097 besides music....

I R n00b :paperbag

AG-wolf
9th May 2010, 12:25 PM
Actually, XL and 2097 have the same music I think lol

The gameplay is different because of the 50/60hz between PAL or NTSC regions. In the NTSC version of the game, the ships fly a bit heavier, and obviously faster. To be honest, I tried playing the slightly slower 2097 and I was terrible lol