PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout HD Preview Edition

Koleax
20th April 2010, 08:23 PM
I hereby dedicate this thread to that delightful and superb creation known as the Wipeout HD Preview Edition, which included the pre-epilepsy test Zone mode.

Here is a 60fps 720p movie of Anulpha Pass from the preview version:

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_6619_1_en.html

You must register to be a member of Gamersyde to download it, but it is of course well worth the extra couple minutes it takes to do so. The file is nearly 700 MB and runs over 3 minutes.

Here is a different lower quality but still remarkable video of Zone mode from the preview edition, no registration required:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/wipeout_hd_wipeout_zone_mode_gameplay.html

I ask for this masterpiece and all knowledge related to it. I believe it is one of the most beautiful things ever created and look for it the way a wealthy art collector might look for a Rembrandt.

Although not an art collector, I do work long hours and wish to spend my cherished leisure time in the most fruitful and rewarding way possible. Preview edition Zone mode is one of those ways.

I heard from ProblemSolver once that the preview edition cannot be played on a normal PS3. There is also the obvious fact that it was never for sale in first place and may have only been given to the gaming press on the condition that it not be resold, making it ultra-difficult to find.

I would like to compensate any lawful owner from the studio or gaming press for what the preview edition is worth. Would three grand be within range? Let's talk about it.

I know very little about it, other than that it's beautiful, regardless of how obtainable or unobtainable it is. What do you know about it?

billychanxtr33m
20th April 2010, 08:40 PM
the colors were so rich in old zone mode, I still cant understand why we didn't get that version as there is practically no difference between the old and new.

xtriko
20th April 2010, 11:16 PM
ehehehehe

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=138

Jack
21st April 2010, 05:43 AM
I would like to compensate any lawful owner from the studio or gaming press for what the preview edition is worth. Would three grand be within range? Let's talk about it.
Not sure if serious.

3000$? Really?

multibodydynamics
21st April 2010, 07:37 AM
I've tried to get my hands on this review code myself...
I found these:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_cocker/2850178617/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_cocker/2851009724/sizes/l/

blackwiggle
21st April 2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah you can't play the reviewer copy on a normal PS3.

Xtriko still cherishes his wedding gift even though he can't play it. :)

ACE-FLO
21st April 2010, 09:38 AM
At Koleax, If the disc is useless in a PS3, is it still worth 3 large? :? :brickwall

xtriko
21st April 2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah you can't play the reviewer copy on a normal PS3.

Xtriko still cherishes his wedding gift even though he can't play it. :)

I would give it for free if that would bring back my ex-fiance... :(

But for now... there's no money for this "baby". And yes... ITS F4CKING GORGEOUS!!! ahahaha

ZixXer
21st April 2010, 07:35 PM
that version was idd way more awsome then the version we have now....

maby there will come a day that you need to go to the docter and play the game there because there is just to mutch change you will get crazy by all the awsomeness there is in the game.....

but that still looks damm nice

blackwiggle
22nd April 2010, 12:29 AM
That's brought up an interesting question .
Since Zone mode had to be toned down from it's original version because it didn't pass epilepsy tests.
How the hell will Wipeout HD 3D Zone mode pass these tests?

I saw HD 3D earlier this week , just normal racing not in Zone mode , but because of my familiarity with the game I can well Imagine that the change of zone colors in 3D will :eek:dizzy:dizzy:o be over the top.

I wonder if it will have to go through separate testing , or , I suppose this will depend on how HD 3D is released , it might just be a patch/game update , if so they might not have to test it again.

Koleax
22nd April 2010, 10:50 PM
3000$? Really?
Yes, I would seriously consider that, especially if it included a means to play it. Think of it like an arcade cabinet. Virtua Fighter 2, a game which has had no decent console or emulatable version in the 15 years since its release, goes for about $2,500 used. A brand new in box version of Star Wars Episode 1: Pinball, my favorite pinball game of all time, goes for about $6,000. Three grand starts to look like it might even be a bargain.

Now, what sort of system do you need to play it, then? Is it a special sort that only those in the gaming press have and why is it special? Security reasons?

I've tried to get my hands on this review code myself...
I found these:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_cocker/2850178617/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_cocker/2851009724/sizes/l/

What are those?

ProblemSolver
23rd April 2010, 11:10 PM
I have some additional videos of the pZONE mode. One vid last till zone 60
on AP. It was my idea to make a section within the ZONE thread about the
preview version a few month ago, since I also have some more pics and stuff,
but wanted to wait till I got access to the preview version myself to show off
supersonic. :D

We have a local magazine here in Germany which has the preview version
and a PS3 that can run unsigned code. Shouldn't be to big of a problem to
make a zone 100 vid, whatever. But it would be even better to do it all on
your own.

Well, the preview version of WipEout HD isn't (cryptographically) signed
by Sony. Unsigned code can only be run on a so-called TEST and / or TOOL
PS3. A TEST can run unsigned- and retail code from HDD & BD. But you can't
play BDs or DVDs movies or install any retail firmware. Technically, the TEST
is very similar to a PS3 whereas the TOOL isn't. The TOOL is more advanced,
for example, it has 512MB of main memory. The TOOL is for developers and
the TEST is just for testing.

These special PS3s can officially only be bought from Sony, but there are
some TEST PS3s in the wild. If your are willing to spend about 600 - 700 EUR
chances are you will get one.

Anyway, after Sony has killed the OtherOS :evil they have reignited a special
interest of mine which I followed years ago. The only thing I can tell is that
I'm not going to stop until the system is broken....

yeldar2097
24th April 2010, 03:36 AM
Is that a can of whoop-ass I can hear being opened?

Go get em tiger! :p

ProblemSolver
24th April 2010, 08:24 AM
Something along these lines, yes.

afatsuoM
27th April 2010, 02:29 PM
Sounds like a problem to be solved. ;)

I really like pZone. It really shows what's possible. Maybe this is crazy, but wouldn't it be cool if we could adjust the colors for Zone mode ourselves? Customizable Zone FTW!

@PS: Could you place some of those vids somewhere we can see them? I'm really interested in those.

Koleax
30th April 2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the info, PS. I'd be interested in those videos as well.

It's not just the colors that are different about pZone. The whole lighting schema is different, creating a better sense of 3D space. There's no "hue fog" or whatever you call it that gives distant parts of the track a different color from the vicinity immediately around the ship. Zone is beautiful but pZone really gives you a sense of environmental stability, such that it's all the more dramatic and beautiful when a zone transition wave passes over you and changes everything.

Much more is different. More contrasts and better fidelity in shadows. Greater variety of colors, including colored light sources that illuminate the track, which I don't remember seeing anywhere in final zone. Really, if you don't have light sources illuminating 3D objects, creating shadows and varying color intensities, how can you establish a sense of 3D space? Final zone seems to rely entirely on distance and fog and, surprisingly, not at all on light.

Koleax
17th April 2013, 03:20 AM
Thread resurrection! Considering it's in the interest of preserving lost art, I felt it was okay.

What is the status of our knowledge about this coveted work? I don't think it's worth three large anymore, but I'm still interested.

multibodydynamics
19th April 2013, 11:20 AM
I've had a review code in my Wipeout-collection for some time now. I also have a PS3 that I can play it on. This resulted in the fact that the review code is simply Wipeout HD v1.00 and not the preZone edition that we are looking for. I've made a few efforts to try and find it, no results so far though.

multibodydynamics
29th April 2013, 10:11 AM
Updating this thread because I'm hooked on the idea to try and hunt down this beauty!
A debug PS3 is required to play it. Check! Got that. That is also the reason why I've been able to play the press kit disc. Let me explain one thing that seems to be a general misunderstanding. The press kit (aka review code, aka press materials, aka evaluation materials, aka the metallic box) does NOT contain the pre-release with the original awesome Zone mode! The press kit is actually just Wipeout HD v1.00 exactly as it was when it got released back in 25th of August (or september?) 2008. The press kit got ditributed to game studios before the release date so to avoid confusion a good name for what I am actually looking for would be a "preview build". Any video or picture that we have seen on the original zone mode, before the epilepsy test failure, comes from this preview build.
I'm fairly certain that this preview build was never given out on a designed and printed media to game studios (e.g. a DVD-disc like the press kit). It was probably distributed in very limited numbers, perhaps only SL themselves had access to it! So in what form does this preview build exist? The answer is simply in the exact same form as the press kit does. The press kit disc contains 2 pkg-files (called package-files). No more, no less. This disc can be read in a usual PC. A retail PS3 won't do anything with these pkg-files but a debug PS3 installs and plays it without any hassle. I'm hoping that several game studios have this early preview build, as pkg-files, in their media archives. Has anyone seen or heard anything about this preview build? Does anyone know someone who might have access to it, anyone? My debug PS3 is collecting dust...

amplificated
29th April 2013, 02:26 PM
Given the rarity of the preview edition and it not being a salable product, maybe it's worth asking Hellfire's opinion on whether it would be OK to copy the disc so others could burn and play it? Pretty sure the debug consoles don't have the copy protection features enabled in regular consoles.

I think Xtriko had a copy? Not sure how often he visits the 'Zone these days, though.

This would just be a lost gem for those who could play it if it isn't shared... and I really doubt anyone interested wouldn't already own the release version of HD.

multibodydynamics
7th May 2013, 11:53 AM
You can't just burn and play it, not even with a jailbreaked PS3. It has already been tested and failed. You´ll need a PS3 with debug firmware to be able to do anything at all with these pkg-files. On the other hand, I don't know if they can be converted somehow to something functional for those with custom firmware. Possibly. Correct that there is no copy protection. The press kit disc can be copied with no problem.

Koleax
14th May 2013, 03:21 AM
With the PS4 making its big marketing push, and Studio Liverpool long having shut down, I do hope that now is the time for people with the preview edition to be more open talking about it with interested people. I understand that legally those who were sent the preview edition are likely under obligation not to distribute, makes copies, or resell it, but morally we must recognize the importance to protect such artwork from oblivion or from being forgotten.

blackwiggle
26th May 2013, 12:59 PM
What is a PKG file?

Quote:Files that contain the .pkg file extension are most commonly used by the Apple OS X operating system. The Apple PKG files usually contain installer scripts that are used by a variety of Mac programs for software installation purposes. The PKG files contain compressed installer files that are used to install Mac software applications onto a user's hard drive.

Oftentimes PKG files will also be used to update NeXT installer packages. The PKG file format was developed to help software designers create uniform installer applications. This file format allows for the seamless and easy installation of software applications and software updates.

WINRar, VLC Media Player, and Daemon Tools are all able to open and convert these files into another format.
http://file.org/extension/pkg#

If you can get anything other than a PS3 to read the disc you might be in with a chance.
OR
If you have a PS3 that CAN read it, just find a way to output the files to a PC ..... much in the same way as you can RIP SACD Discs into streamed files that are able to be transferred to a HD, using a Fat PS3.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

UnleashSonic
10th July 2014, 07:04 AM
No progress on this front I'm guessing? I'm still very interested in this beautiful preview build!

terra-wrists
12th July 2014, 01:59 AM
I had the preview edition but not anymore... what I do have though is extra rare - the original 1995 wipEout record bag with embroidered psn and wipEout logo's on it - it's ace and I've only ever used it once - when I went to yeldar2097's place last month.

Barring that, it sits in my wardrobe, in its special pride of place :)

so happy about that!

multibodydynamics
18th July 2014, 11:12 AM
My Preview edition is a disc that is printed "Preview March 2008" and it contains 4 tracks and the original zone mode. It is a Blu-ray and it contains a single pkg-file and is only playable with debug software. Did you have the same preview terra-wrists, or did you have another version?
I might consider releasing it digitally but I have to think about that, and I don't know how many people actually has debug software anyway. The disc was very expensive so I will hold on to that one for now. It is my favourite object in my Wipeout collection. :rock

terra-wrists
18th July 2014, 02:11 PM
Yes. Same one. I beleive they were all the same. Did u forget to mention the funky looking usb card? I remember xtrikp wanted the pkg file so I sent it to him. It turned out all the pkg files were exactly the same. He had a press kit too u see.

multibodydynamics
18th July 2014, 03:23 PM
The USB card was a part of the press kit. I have that one also. The press kit disc contains 2 pkg-files. One is 997 MB and one is 100 kB. That version is Wipeout HD v1.00 and it doesn't have the original zone mode, it has 12 ships and 16 tracks. My Preview disc contains one pkg-file that is 845 MB. That is the version I'm talking about. 4 tracks, 8 ships and original zone mode. :)

terra-wrists
18th July 2014, 07:54 PM
Ah, well that's news to me. I don't remember what was on it, since I couldn't even play it on my PS3 when I got it (bluray player is temperamental at the best of times - my fault, I attempted to clean the innards of the PS3 and lost a fiddly bit in the process, and ever since haven't been able use the Bd on it)

The only time I loaded it up was on my laptop becuase Xtriko asked me so nicely if I could send him the pkg file or something.... was years ago. Sorry bud, can't be of much help i'm afraid.

Cipher
18th July 2014, 11:51 PM
you caneasily copy such a disc you know, it's just 0s and 1s, including copyright and hidden do not copy me data, just need the right tools to do so, would love to archive it on mydesktop (been archiving a lot of wipeout things since sl got shut down)

as for pkg files, not only are they used for os x installer packages, they re also an old format of the unreal 3 engine, containing anything from simple 2d textures up to skeletal meshhes & animations as well as sound, all ompressed :)
but i do think it's more likely to be an installer as game pkgs are usually split up so they don't all have to be loaded into memory (thus 1big pkg would use up all system memory), still, one can dive into those pkgs with a hex editor :) (been there, done that, seen it ^^)

although i would rather simply enjoy seeing this preview build ;)

Cipher

Ace3000
19th July 2014, 06:38 AM
I wonder, is the version in this video the Prieview Edition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoqKcV5gYgU

multibodydynamics
19th July 2014, 08:58 AM
Yes, it is.

Cipher
21st July 2014, 01:20 AM
Ooooooh!!
I love the equalisers on the billboards and start/finnish line! :O
Ah man they shoulda kept that, so awesome!
Don't really see how that one failed the epilepsy test but the current one doesn't though, it's not THAT much different :/

Thx for the post Ace3000

Cipher

Ruuku
21st July 2014, 05:02 AM
I honestly think the current one is harder to look at.

Ace3000
21st July 2014, 11:00 AM
Ooooooh!!
I love the equalisers on the billboards and start/finnish line! :O
Ah man they shoulda kept that, so awesome!
Don't really see how that one failed the epilepsy test but the current one doesn't though, it's not THAT much different :/

Thx for the post Ace3000

Cipher

No problem! I was just curious as to what elements of the first zone mode were changed for the final retail version. Then I found that video. Honestly, I too think it looks awesome!

Amaroq Dricaldari
21st July 2014, 11:34 AM
I wish I could hack my copy of 2048 to use that version of Zone Mode for the HD and Fury stuff. Of course, using the added sound effects and computer voice from the retail version's Zone Mode.

Speaking of hacking extra content into Vita games, which would sadly be impossible... I actually encountered a successful Syncopia Glitch lobby through crossplay a few days ago. I wanted to play it, but every time the track started loading the game would crash, which means the files needed to perform the Syncopia Glitch are absent from 2048's Fury DLC.

...I also wish I could increase the maximum framerate from 30 to 60. Even watching that video on my phone, it looked much smoother than playing on my Vita.

UnleashSonic
21st July 2014, 12:01 PM
I had the preview edition but not anymore... what I do have though is extra rare - the original 1995 wipEout record bag with embroidered psn and wipEout logo's on it - it's ace and I've only ever used it once - when I went to yeldar2097's place last month.

Barring that, it sits in my wardrobe, in its special pride of place :)

so happy about that!

So what happened to the preview edition terra? And what do you mean by '1995 wipEout record bag'? :P

terra-wrists
21st July 2014, 06:03 PM
i sold the preview ed, on ebay, but couldnt part with the bag... that bag is wipeout heritage :) I took a pic on my mobile, and tried to attach it but my phone is giving me a low memory error... will try again later.

edit: 8898

Cipher
22nd July 2014, 02:00 AM
^GIMME! GIMME NOAAWWWW!!!!
Hehe, awesome stuff Mosj! Never get rid of that!

@Ace i'm glad i changed the voice and some of the sound FX though, they are a bit lame in that vid :P But yeah the overall visuals are really nice :)

Cipher

UnleashSonic
23rd July 2014, 04:51 AM
i sold the preview ed, on ebay, but couldnt part with the bag... that bag is wipeout heritage :) I took a pic on my mobile, and tried to attach it but my phone is giving me a low memory error... will try again later.

edit: 8898

Wow, very nice! Where'd you score that?