PDA

View Full Version : The 3 Saturn-exclusive songs, not CoLD SToRAGE music

AG-wolf
19th April 2010, 11:49 AM
While I did play the original demo of Wipeout which came with the very first Playstation demo disc (my friend's dad had bought the PSX on launch back in the day), my own personal and extensive exposure to the series began a little bit later when the first game was released on the Saturn.

For a while, it was my only exposure to "Wipeout" (until I would stumble upon XL on Playstation later on)...

One of my favorite things about the game was, aside from loving the game itself, was the music... Messij, Doh T, Cold Comfort... these remain some of my favorite tunes of all time. I also used to call the Sega of America toll-free phone number when I was thoroughly obsessed with everything "Sega" at the time, and even Tim's song Cardinal Dancer was part of the phone menu loading or hold music (1-800-USA-SEGA).

This game's music is so entwined with a very specific snapshot in time of a part of my life...

But there are three songs I'm willing to bet a fair portion of other Wipeout fans have never heard. In the PSX version of Wipeout, there were a few licensed songs;
Afro Ride - LeftField
Chemical Beats - Chemical Brothers
P.E.T.R.O.L. - Orbital
But when the game was brought to America, Sony never secured the rights to the three songs, so they just omitted them from the game's soundtrack; so those of us in America never understood the relationship the game series had with the budding dance/club scene at the time.

When the game was released for Saturn, they apparently still never secured the rights to those three songs, but for some reason they decided to get three other songs to add to the playlist. No comment is made about them at all in the manual, credit is given to CoLD SToRAGE alone- no other artists are identified. In time, someone here found out they were done by Rob Lord & Mark Bandola, the same people behind the music in Wipeout 64 credited to "PC MUSIC" (which is also awesome).

These songs, while maybe foreign to a number of you, epitomize part of the atmosphere that the entire Wipeout world creates for me in my head/imagination. I've thrown them on YouTube so that other people can hear them, I believe they play in "high quality" mode if you select "480p"

Brickbat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Lu4GgpOio)
Planet 9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1EpjPFmfI)
Poison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvf5V_EM2Sw)

Planet 9 is still my favorite of the three, but the other two are awesome, too. One interesting thing about the Saturn track list is that Tim's song "Transvaal" was omitted... When I finally got my hands on the Playstation version of the game and heard Transvaal, I immediately hated it for some reason... and I still don't like it today lol :P

Medusa
19th April 2010, 01:51 PM
Interesting...I do like Planet 9 the best of the three, and I like all three better than the "PC Music" tracks off WO64.
But I'm not a big fan of it. Whereas I love Transvaal (everybody sing "ah-ah-ah-oh")

mdhay
31st July 2010, 10:50 PM
...Planet 9 is still my favorite of the three...

+ several hundred thousand million. These are amazin. Thanks a million. :D

Dexito2097
11th November 2010, 02:29 PM
I enjoyed Brickbat the most.

I noticed the volume is little low.
Is this beacause of Youtube or the Saturn Console itself ?

( I do not own a Saturn so I wouldn't know about it's volume/sound quality )