PDA

View Full Version : Matt Smith The 11th Doctor

BearAlmighty182
10th April 2010, 08:37 PM
So the Fifth season of BBCs Doctor Who aired last week with an hour special introducing Matt Smith as the Doctor in his 11th incarnation. With big shoes to fill following the departure of fans favorite David Tennant and with writer Russell T.Davis replaced by Steven Moffat. Smith certainly had his work cut out for him and with a new companion to join him in a newly regenerated Tardis we have the lovely Amy pond. played by actress Karen Gillen a foxy flame haired scottish lassy who isnt too shy judging by the length of her skirt in episode 1 named "The Eleventh Hour" the Doctor has to save the earth once again from annihilation from a race known as the Atraxi.
Sounds like a name of a possible wipeout team lol
after initial scepticism i really enjoyed the episode and was refreshed by the Doctors new persona and am very much looking forward to the forthcoming episodes. Well done bbc you didnt ruin it!
As a long standing doctor who fan if any other fellow fans wish to comment ask questions or speculate on anything Who... Please do so here :)

blackwiggle
10th April 2010, 10:20 PM
It hasn't been shown in Australia yet, just the promo for it.
They have decided to show the first episode at midnight on Monday for some strange reason.:dizzy
I remember seeing Matt Smith in that political drama he was in about 2 years ago,he seem a relatively quirky enough choice for a Dr.
I might download it if it's available to save having to stay up to watch it.

KGB
11th April 2010, 02:47 PM
I thought he was very good in it, sounds strange but I really like his voice. Really good story as well (for Dr Who), they set the friendship/partnership very sweetly. Missed last nights though.

BearAlmighty182
11th April 2010, 05:26 PM
Doctor Who has always been a "tongue in cheek" light hearted science fiction programme, sometimes through sheer neccessity due to the BBCs meager budgits rather than the more serious shows but always seems to win out with me through imaginative storylines and good old fashioned morales. The programme has drastically changed over the years as has the writing team and they seem to have taken their own style and ethic on board very well. i was concerned Moffat would be forced into writing more cheesy family friendly episodes rather than the darker successful episodes of last season like "blink" The first 2 episodes i have seen of the current Run i felt were very good. The jury is still out but i think Smith and the team will have a smooth transition and will carry on seamlessly.

ACE-FLO
11th April 2010, 08:29 PM
I hope so man. Seemed to me that the last few series with Tennant were just the best ever. And I did think his shoes would indeed be Very hard to fill. So far though, Matt Smith is doing alright. I saw the second episode "The Beast below" last night on BBC I-Player, pretty cool. I'm warming to him... now, all we need to see is the darker plot lines and :coffee, cheers :)

OneAVGNFan
13th April 2010, 08:34 PM
It hasn't been shown in Australia yet, just the promo for it.
They have decided to show the first episode at midnight on Monday for some strange reason.:dizzy

Same here in the U.S., but this Saturday at 8pm

Medusa
18th April 2010, 12:26 AM
I haven't seen any new episodes yet, just some previews...all I can say is...he looks like a little boy! I'm sure he'll do grand, it just seems like they're making the Doctor younger and younger. The Tennant/Piper pairing will be tough to beat!
I'm going to rewatch the first four series (of the new Dr.Who, that is) before watching Matt Smith, I think. By then I'm sure they'll have brought on some doom like you all say.

blackwiggle
18th April 2010, 01:42 AM
I caved in and downloaded the first two episodes.
The Eleventh hour- I thought was very good, a fast paced introduction to the new Dr.
The Beast Below- The sort of ridiculous plot that only Dr Who can get away with.
Victory over the Darleks -is probably showing on UK TV as I type , I can wait 2 weeks or .....;)

ACE-FLO
18th April 2010, 02:58 AM
well, just saw ep 3, the darleks get upgraded... you can now order them in red, white, blue, green, and yellow. Oh, and they're fat :D

blackwiggle
18th April 2010, 03:09 AM
ACE
Is it a single episode or a "To be continued" one?

drell
18th April 2010, 06:35 AM
For Canadians. (http://watch.spacecast.com/#clip288501) (Or anyone with a nice proxy I guess.)

Be warned, they delete them after a while.

blackwiggle
18th April 2010, 09:50 AM
I just watched EP 3.
Those new Darleks look like Volvo station wagons in Ikea colours compared to the old ones.
Only Dr Who could hold the most tyrannical race in the universe at bay with a Jammy Dodger biscuit :lol:lol:lol
Classic stuff.

OneAVGNFan
27th April 2010, 07:28 PM
Really can't wait for episode 3 to come.

KGB
20th June 2010, 08:46 PM
Anyone seen the last episode, how the **** is he gonna get out of that one :cold

blackwiggle
21st June 2010, 04:56 AM
Yeah I watched it, the torrent went up within an hour of it showing in the UK this week ;)

It's really has left everything hanging.
[sorry about spoiler drell:redface: , I've removed it]
It doesn't get much more exciting than this episode .:hyper

The fact that they are using the reoccurring theme of a crack in time, and have been since EP1 of this series, makes me think that we might get a element of Torchwood towards the series end, since they used the same premise.
It still leaves loose ends with Vincent & Winston being involved as it is atm, so I think this might be more that a 2 parter or it's going to be an incredibly busy final show.

Even though next weeks show is this seasons final I have a horrible feeling they might not tie this one up until the beginning of the next series.
They wouldn't do it to us, would they?

drell
21st June 2010, 05:36 AM
blackwiggle please put a spoiler warning for those (like me) who do not want the episode spoiled in advance.

I have to say that since the new Stargate Universe is not what I like to watch, Doctor Who has become the favourite for me. It's too bad that seasons are this short, with only 13 episodes instead of 20 for Stargate. But of course what made me decide to watch Doctor Who was that I actually liked only one episode out of 20 for Universe, and sort of liked 3 out of 20. So I guess I have to take 13 of Who's quality.

omega329
21st June 2010, 07:38 AM
I don't like the new doctor.

He's feels like he's trying to copy Tennant, when he should just be his own character. Compare Eccleston to Tennant, and you'll see what I mean.