PDA

View Full Version : A friendly disagreement

WolfKill01
6th April 2010, 02:06 AM
me and a friend of mine (who is fairly good at wo3) started a split screen single race on sampa. As we chose our ships, i noticed that he chose the icaras. So i asked him why he would chose such a weak ship for a multiplayer match. He responded by saying that the ship was more then capable of outruning weapons. I then chose the qirex and destroyed his beloved icaras two laps into the race with a quake, :lol What i'm trying to ask is, what is the best team, in your opinion, for multiplayer and why?

Medusa
6th April 2010, 02:10 AM
Depends if they know the game or not. If they don't I always take Feisar and tell them to take something fast...since it's always Vector for newbies.
If they do...lol. I wish I knew someone in a 1000 km radius who could play it.

AG-wolf
6th April 2010, 04:35 AM
echoing medusa's comment, I don't know anyone else who's actually really good at it. FrostE maybe but we never did VS.

I... I don't pick anyone besides Qirex in WO3 lol

Dan Locke
6th April 2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I'm basically what Yahtzee refers to as "That Guy" as far as the Wipeout games are concerned. Shame that Wipeout 3 doesn't have online multiplayer.

Albino Ace
6th April 2010, 01:16 PM
Hmm...multiplayer mode would change things quite a bit. low shield wouldn't necessarily be a good thing anymore (fixed hyperthrust rate vs variable pit lane recovery rate, etc)! :P

I'm honestly not entirely sure. If I can survive in Icaras, that would settle things. Otherwise I'd use Qirex to sacrifice speed for shielding.

Chill
6th April 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the day when they invent something that can take older multiplayer games and portal them online... These games would be some of the first I'd take online!! ;)

andy
6th April 2010, 06:57 PM
Is there any way to get online multiplayer using ePSXe? I'd love to try it out. =]

I've never known anyone in person who was ever any good at wip3out, they either span round in circle or smashed into walls til they exploded. So I ended up never playing anyone on multiplayer because it would be too easy and just a bit mean lol. I use AG systems though, and I could see that getting ripped to shreds on multiplayer pretty quickly; maybe I'd be able to steer or power away from weapons if I'm good enough, but I dunno, I've never tried and CPUs aren't that great to go off.

Would anyone be up for multiplayer wip3out if we could get it to work over the internet?

Dan Locke
6th April 2010, 08:00 PM
Who wouldn't be?

JABBERJAW
7th April 2010, 01:15 AM
wipeout 3 is busted with weapons in multiplayer. The first year in the tourney, it was not about racing at all, just finding the ****ing shield to stop the quake(that you could not outrun, and went almost the entire lap incredibly fast). A couple shots destroys the icarus, and maybe one more destroys the other ships. HOrrible, and after that first track, we went without weapons, which was very fun, since wipeout 3 has hyperthrust, there was no sacrificing speed. both tourneys after that one have been without weapons for wipeout 3. There is no skill whatsoever involved in this quake like the earlier games, just find and fire immediately :(. If you could turn this one weapon off (I bet this is possible through gameshark), then Icarus would outrun all other ships easily, if the person can fly it well.

A side note here: Fusion amazingly had the best multiplayer weapons damage/slowdown from weapon hits. The quake could catch you, but not if you had a good lead, and slowdown from weapons did not mean you lost the race if you got hit once.

AG-wolf
7th April 2010, 03:22 AM
omg Fusion. I think Fusion at last year's meet was some of the most fun I've ever had playing Wipeout :P

Andy, I don't think you can get it running online, but I'd be up for some races if you find a way. Dunno if net lag might get in the way... I just remember trying to do online with two different emus (N64 and Genesis) and it just wasn't really the same :/

Al's right though, Multiplayer in WO3 is kinda broken... you're lucky if you find someone else who knows how to play it properly, but then the weapons really aren't balanced unless both people know how to be prepared

Chill
7th April 2010, 03:34 AM
Well either way I'm sure it would be worth playing skilled people online though... even elimination multiplayer would be freakin sweet online Wip3out... We would always have that option of turning the weapons off... and if we could remove the quake, if people could make Icaras unavailable, or everyone chose the Icaras everything would work out... I'
m sure people would still play it... ;)

JABBERJAW
7th April 2010, 08:31 PM
every ship gets rocked by it, just the icarus a little quicker.

andy
7th April 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm sure between us guys we can have a gentleman's agreement to try and not use quakes we pick up.

Task
30th June 2010, 10:18 PM
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong!

There's nothing wrong with the weapons in multiplayer WO3, you're just playing the wrong mode! 8 D

Put that bad boy on Eliminator, THEN try some of the best multiplayer WO there ever was!

I got my flatmate into the multiplayer WO3 for a little while, we played SO much of it, and it was great.

I almost always fly Goteki in multiplayer WO3, because I felt it was more sporting than always pulling out the Qirex. 8 )

Quake covers about a quarter of the track, and does it almost instantly. It is possible to not get hit by it, but you need to have nearly lapped your opponent. 8 D

Oh, and the reason that Fusion gives good multiplayer is because that's what it was made to do. A friend borrowed it from me once and then gave it back a month later because every time he had people over they wanted to play a couple rounds (which always turned into hours) of multiplayer Fusion. It was made to be an FPS on a racetrack, I guess they succeeded there. 8 )
Just wish it gave a better single player experience.

JABBERJAW
1st July 2010, 12:35 AM
It has great multi I think because yoiu aren't out of the race with one weapon hit :)

i guess eliminator would be awesome now that I am thinking about it

WolfKill01
5th July 2010, 02:38 AM
HOLY JUNK!!! Wipeout 3 eliminator would be AMAZING with online multi :eek!! And it would be tons of fun to try different tactics in a weapons heavy eliminator match. Plus, since laps count as a point, you could still focus on racing and still win the match. GOD, THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE MORE EXCITED I GET :hyper

Albino Ace
5th July 2010, 01:39 PM
I used to have a lot of fun with Eliminator...sometimes I'd do 99 Point Goal with no AI for a marathon run. Ultimate practice! :P

Only fear with online eliminator would be quake spam...that aside, I'd be on board.

BulletWraith
6th July 2010, 01:44 AM
and it's 4 player!!!
(or was that just with SE hmm)

Task
6th July 2010, 03:54 PM
@JABBERJAW: Exactly. You can be eliminated a couple times and still win. Roxxors!

Plus, since laps count as a point, you could still focus on racing and still win the match. GOD, THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE MORE EXCITED I GET :hyper
Yeah, WO3 has kickass multi with Eliminator. I was super excited every time I played it, and after playing exactly the same race for the dozenth time, that's really saying something. Which was why Eliminator on PSP was such a letdown for me. No "lap = 1 point" means there's no racing anymore, it's just FPS onna racetrack.

Only fear with online eliminator would be quake spam...that aside, I'd be on board.
Doesn't happen. They're still really rare and weapon pads are not all that common. Pretty sure we did 4-player WO3 at one of my WO gatherings, the weapons were not all that overwhelming.

@zer0shen: Kind of just SE. WO3 _can_ do 4 player, but it's so buggy (which is why it's a hidden feature) as to make it almost unplayable. Constant desynch = yick.