PDA

View Full Version : Guide to faster times

float
29th March 2010, 10:51 PM
Hi all, been away for ages and trying to get faster times on woHD. Can any one direct me to what bsb is?

xtriko
29th March 2010, 11:42 PM
boost, select, boost

float
30th March 2010, 12:12 AM
What does this entail. How do I do it?

AG-wolf
30th March 2010, 12:58 AM
It was a method of double-boosting at the start/finish line during Speed Lap mode... on an earlier version of the game, the "Select" button would reset your Boost power-up the moment you pressed it. Skilled pilots were able to exploit this and use it to cut time off their lap.

it has since been changed and now you're required to hold the button (which you can now assign to any button) for about 3 or 4 seconds before your boost is reset.

multibodydynamics
30th March 2010, 10:20 AM
I think that the time is 3 seconds total. I've noticed that the game summarizes the time that the button is being pressed during one lap.

Connavar
30th March 2010, 01:45 PM
This technique is the last thing you must learn, because it only helps you on a
handful of tracks IF you also master everything else on the given track.

amplificated
30th March 2010, 03:49 PM
Plus, bsb only works on a very small # of tracks now, and due to the timer, it's practically useless compared with using more traditional methods.

bsb was frowned upon, and now it's dead. it's not worth thinking about.

best way to get good times is to practice... Look up YT videos of SL's and TT's to see how the top times are made. That's all you can do.

ACE-FLO
30th March 2010, 04:43 PM
Boooooooooost [SELECT] Boooooooooost ... wtf? LOL, just practice yer lines, find those BR spots and GO FOR IT :rock

I dont BSB as it is a mechanic I have no desire to learn. I like to race on an even playing field. If I did know how to BSB, and used it in an online race, I'd feel as though I had an unfair advantage. Face it, it's only us zoners who know about about this BSB shite, and not everyone who races online comes here so they probably dont even know of BSB - so, to them, it is an unfair game mechanic. Much like the Speed Mod in pulse eh? Guys, times are being achieved on the SL and TT circuits without the BSB method now.

Some will say that the risk of executing the BSB is far too great to be considered a cheat - well piloting with the speed mod in Pulse was wierd at first too (ping pong ship all over the place), but peeps got used to it didn't they? ANd then they started to rock n roll with it... end of pulse on a massive scale after that! I know, I was there! The Pulse speed mod was and still is considered a cheat!

Now, only a handful of Pulsers left who actively play the game :( HD deserves a fairer playing field for this reason alone.

Also, noweher in the game manual does it mention Boost SELECT Boost or BSB - and I have the disc version :? Who found this BSB method out?

EDIT: is BSB only workable during SL and TT?

Woopzilla
30th March 2010, 05:00 PM
It's just smart (or crafty, depending on the way you look at it) people looking at the game mechanics and pushing them to their limits. It's like people learning how to 'rocket jump' in quake and stuff. Simply put: a clever use of the tools that you're given. If you've ever played RTS games then you'll surely have developed a sense to try and use (or abuse) every advantage you can find.

Annyyyyway, only way to get faster is to practice a track over and over. I used to be fairly pants (I'm somewhat average now) but I never went easy on myself. When I got HD I thought to myself: "I'm not going to get good by pampering myself and playing vs novice AIs in the campaign."

I then turned it up to Elite and raced in the Piranha through the entire Campaign. I did switch it to skilled at one point though... it was in the Meltdown event to get another trophy early before getting the Elite Campaign Legend one. :P

ACE-FLO
30th March 2010, 05:12 PM
Elite Campaign eh? I got that on my duplicate account which I created for bashing pilots who race under multiple psn-id's LOL, got the campain legend and elite campain legend trophies simultaneously too :) and to top it all off, i won my first 10 online races which happened to be at phantom speed, with that account, so got two more trophies simultaneously :lol sneaky sneaky huh?

However, I wont reveal my ID here, as I only use it to bash peeps who I know are proper pilots posing as nOObs :lol

sorry for going offtopic :(

yeldar2097
30th March 2010, 05:45 PM
EDIT: is BSB only workable during SL and TT?

Only SL cos that's the only ace where you can replace your
boost manually.

Anyways tuis doesn't need to be turned into a BSB thread, there's too many of those already and they never ended well. Besides, top 10 times can be achieved on ANY track without BSB - doesn't get you that much time.

Faster times are achieved by knowing the techniques (YouTube/asking people) and practice, thassit. Just post on people's profiles or send a message on PSN for quick tips, pretty much everyone (especially if they're on zone) is glad to help :)

ACE-FLO
30th March 2010, 05:59 PM
Yoda hath spoken ;)

AG-wolf
30th March 2010, 06:00 PM
actually, I'm a little curious, can you still do BSB? I was under the impression that once they updated the game, you couldn't pull it off anymore since there's a 3 second delay on boost recharge

Woopzilla
30th March 2010, 06:45 PM
Probably only on tracks with long approaches to the finish line without many overhead obstacles to get lot's of airtime worth 3 seconds.

Never bothered trying it though seeing as there is lots of disdain for it. I anyway like setting times that could potentially be possible in real races. I don't recall there being any weapons pads in mid-air. :D

leungbok
30th March 2010, 08:12 PM
still possible (phantom class at least) on vineta fwd, moa fwd, ubermall fwd, tricky but also possible on anulpha fwd, maybe on chengou fwd but not sure it can be faster. To succeed you have to maintain the reset button more than 3 seconds before you used the first boost and normally the second one will appear just before you cross the finish/start line.

AG-wolf
31st March 2010, 12:05 PM
hardly worth the frustration of trying to do it properly >_<

BearAlmighty182
1st April 2010, 03:10 PM
Hi all!. I dont know if this is an obvious point or whether it may be useful to anyone so here goes..... i inadvertantly stumbled upon this tactic when trying to beat zico . As an avid trophy hunter i recently i have been trying a number of different methods and combining them on different race types for optimum results. Eg i utilised the prolonged use of the airbreaks for airbreaker trophy and actually now prefer using it for zone and it has drastically improved my previous zone score by 20 zones at least. After hundreds of laps of anulpha pass trying to beat 30.82 following a YT vid i was getting smegged off trying to perform the barrell roll on to the overpass i was only getting it right 1 in 20 times ruining numerous promising runs... I simply found keeping a tight line and side shifting over certain speed pads at certain points was enough to get me the trophy easily as it turned out once i got my method spot on. Practice practice practice i believe is the quickest route to transcendence

Connavar
2nd April 2010, 08:42 AM
Well said, you want a fast time on chenghou? Run 10000 laps on Phantom,
then come back here and tell us if your times are not faster.

SaturnReturn
4th April 2010, 05:13 PM
10,000 laps? Damn, I've only done 9669. Must try harder.:nod

ACE-FLO
4th April 2010, 05:33 PM
I managed 69, saw a butt hole and turned back :lol

OBH
6th April 2010, 10:24 AM
Still possible (phantom class at least) on vineta fwd, moa fwd, ubermall fwd, tricky but also possible on anulpha fwd, maybe on chengou fwd but not sure it can be faster.

Listen to this man right here :nod Also AnulphaR and Metropia can be done (with patience!).

Not sure why people say its a dead technique. Download a few ghosts for any of the tracks mentioned (or Yeldars ghost pack) and you'll see its far from a dead technique.

Though I 100% agree with everyone who said its not the main thing to focus on. A successful bsb is nice, but the shortcuts, best racing lines, boost-brs and shift-brs are easily a more valuable asset for you to learn. Try using SL to learn the BRs, and then TT to execute them :)

Amorbis
6th April 2010, 05:36 PM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but Hellfire has a handy guide up on Gamefaqs, which can be found here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/938148/57613). It covers the basics such as racing line, airbrakes and barrel rolls.

Aside from that you can always practice until your thumbs drop off like I did, that way you can develop natural skills and a unique playing style.

mic-dk
6th April 2010, 05:41 PM
I too practice a lot, but in my case unique playing style != fast :D

OBH
6th April 2010, 09:53 PM
Also, try taking the time to use all ships :) if a SL session in your favourite isnt going well, try a new one! (competing in dark phantoms SL/TT challenge is a nice way of trying new crafts i found recently)

I gave amorbis all sorts of stick for using pirahna, now thier my baby! Should never have doubted you my friend! :beer

Aeroracer
6th April 2010, 11:09 PM
bsb is fine if you want to do it.its not cheating its in the game.

i personaly have never used it as ive never completed a lap so perfect that there is nothing left to do to improve my time other than bsb.

i think players who have used bsb on their time trails have got to an exceptional standard where bsb was the only option left to improve times.

what i can say about it is bsb is probaly pretty very hard to do with a time delay on the button

OBH
7th April 2010, 12:21 PM
It isnt as difficult as you might think (at least on most tracks). Take VK for example, on the final straight is that bump in the road - perfect to use as a plotform to boost yourself miles into the air :)

On tracks which are just flat such as AnulphaR on Met, just pitch down, then up as you boost over the line and ta-da! A free br! :hyper

Though it isnt the technique to focus on, it does help to understand how much time there is to be gained from boost-brs generally.

Woopzilla
10th April 2010, 04:20 PM
Well, boost-BRs (as opposed to BSBs) over the start/finish line are perfectly fine, it's something you can do in races even! It's too bad that 'race' lap records aren't recorded anywhere besides in multiplayer though. Even those might not actually be your fastest lap ever since it's just the fastest lap performed in an overall fast race.

Annnnyway, moving away from BSB and the sort: I agree with OBH and others that you should try different ships. I'm usually rather loyal to a ship, but switched from Piranha to Goteki 45 and eventually to AG-Systems. I still use the other two every so often. Any other ship besides those 3 and I've just got my nose permanently planted into the walls because of over or under steering. I usually take a while to get used to the new controls.

You will see that the leaderboards have lots of records with Icaras Fury due to its speed... I personally prefer Icaras HD though. Fury to me feels awkward, like it's got an invisible string tied to its nose being pulled by a hand... and I'm controlling the hand. :g

If you're not a fan of speed lapping, you can just play offline tournaments. Just hit R1 for the track selection to randomize the list... don't make it a habit to just play Anulpha, VK and Moa all the time. While they're fun for most people, they won't sharpen your abilities much (but perhaps your barrel rolling on AP and VK :P)

Connavar
22nd April 2010, 02:29 PM
Just played WO today, the first time in weeks, and I did a few laps of Chenghou
forward, with Icaras+, and it's possible to do a BR at the beginning and then
take the left corner without hitting any wall, with a left sideshift saving you...

Ok it may not be as fast as hitting the wall, but damn it looks and feels
fantastic! There is like only 1 perfect trajectory for this!