PDA

View Full Version : EVE online

TorquedSoul
24th March 2010, 06:01 PM
I just started playing with this a couple days ago. It looks like a pretty good game.

Anyone here playing it?

DrMannevond
24th March 2010, 07:32 PM
I played the trial, and I really liked it, I just didn't have the patience or time to get involved. The game is complex, to put it mildly. I might reconsider when Dust 514 comes out, a Battlefield-ish scifi shooter that takes place in the same universe, so if you're playing EVE and want to take over a planet you hire a bunch of mercenaries to do it for you in Dust 514.:p

TorquedSoul
25th March 2010, 02:08 AM
Dust 514 is one of the reason I am willing to invest the time EVE.

I'm really interested in how the game mechanics are going to work integrating the FPS into this MMO strategy game. It could end up being one of the best game systems out there.

SenGoku81
25th March 2010, 04:06 PM
A friend of mine plays [E.V.E.] once in a while, it looks like a very immense and in-depth game with lots of detail to lose yourself in. I particularly like the look of the game, having not actually played any myself, the visuals as your ship jumps from one system to another or through a gate left me gobsmacked the first time I saw them and still do. They've managed to capture the vastness of space extremely well and you get quite the sense of scale.

When I invest in a proper bit of hardware for some hardcore gaming I'll be joining my mate there, maybe you too?

YouAreFubar
25th March 2010, 08:58 PM
I loved the trial, but I dont like paying for subscription games because my game time can be sporadic at best. One space game I am looking out for at the moment is Black Prophecy (http://www.blackprophecy.com/), the beta starts April (apply now!) and it looks pretty sweet. Its an online MMO and as far as I understand it, no subscription!

DrMannevond
27th March 2010, 01:17 AM
I just started playing X3:Terran Conflict again, and it's a really great single-player space-sim. It reminds me a little of EVE, but you don't have to deal with all those humans. I'm well on my way to establishing my trading empire (so I can afford all those battle-cruisers:)), and there's also a ton of mods for it.

YouAreFubar
27th March 2010, 09:55 PM
I loved X3:TC for a while, but I found the game so slow to get into, and I got fed up of having to run away from fights all the time because my ship was rubbish. Im not really bothered by the trading side, I just want action but unfortunately youve got to get setup trading-wise in order to get the funds for new ships and stuff. I havent played it for a while, but may go back to it. Im going to wait to see if I can get on the Black Prophecy beta first because it looks more action-orientated.

RedScar
28th March 2010, 02:52 AM
I've played the trial twice and have a few gaming buddies who play this still. They all love it to death, I enjoyed it but it requires a lot of attention and since I'm in school atm this can't happen.

I still enjoy WoW more, but this is most likely because I understand all the concepts and nuances where as I don't for EVE. I might play it if nothing comes down the pipe during the summer unless Blizzard release either SC2 or the new WoW expansion.

Also, if you earn enough credits in game like the dudes I know, you don't have to pay for EVE since a monthly subscription can be bought with ingame money.

TorquedSoul
28th March 2010, 02:00 PM
The time this an issue. But I think is an issue for any MMO really. But EVE does allow a way around that. I will building a democratic corp in the game that is run by a voting system involving all corp members. I'm more into strategy and big picture concepts than tactics so once I get the game set up I really just want to be involved in the decision making process more so than actually interacting too much directly with the system. My goal is to only play a couple times a month and grow slowly over time. I really dont have a choice as I'm starting graduate school in the fall. I wont have more than a couple opportunities a month to play.

Anyone that is interested in economics or politics would love this game. Its also a great game for social experiments as the game environment is so flexible. The actual tactical aspect in the system is dwarfed by the complexity of user provided content and interaction.

I'm Torquedsoul in that game as well so if you happen by zap me an email.