PDA

View Full Version : The worlds most valuable video games.

blackwiggle
21st March 2010, 11:23 PM
I was just reading this article on the CNN site about the worlds rarest and most valuable video games.
You might want to have a trawl through the garage to see if you have one of these oldies.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/20/mf.rich.off.video.games/index.html

IH8YOU
21st March 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure if I should share this info or not.... but.

2. 1990 Nintendo World Championships (NES)
Price Range: Gray: $4,000 -- $6,100; Gold: $15,000 -- $21,000
Why So Expensive?: In 1990, Nintendo held a 30-city gaming tournament to find the best player in the world. Players had to get the best score in demo versions of three games -- Super Mario Bros., Rad Racer, and Tetris -- all within a six-minute time limit.
At the end of each city's tournament, the winners of each of three age groups were given special gray Championship cartridges exactly like those used in the competition, which means only 90 of these cartridges were distributed. The gold version was sent out to those who won a promotional contest in the pages of Nintendo Power magazine. Only 26 gold games were produced, so they're especially hard to find and command a higher price today.

I missed that prize by 1 place in Worcester, MA. If only I were better at Tetris!

Edit: I can't (#*$ing believe I was in that back in the day.... I wasn't even 9. If I remember correctly, Mario - collect 30 or 60 gold coins - then it automatically ported to Rad Racer - and it was cover XX miles or hit XXX MPH (can't remember) and finally Tetris to score bonus points. Wow, painful memories.

I still have the Nintendo Fanny-Pack, Hat and some stupid rap CD, though. I got the CD because it was shiny - and I had NO IDEA what it was.
:brickwall

q_dmc12
21st March 2010, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I could have sworn I saw Air Raid at Play-N-Trade a few months ago.. could have been River Raid.. hmm.:brickwall

OBH
22nd March 2010, 03:13 PM
Most expensive games i bought were suikoden I & II for the PS. Over £60 each.

Well worth it for the 2 finest rpgs ever made though.

Amorbis
22nd March 2010, 05:58 PM
I don't have any of the games on that list, but if I did I don't know whether I'd keep them or sell them. The most valuable game that I have must be Final Fantasy 7, which I picked up in a charity shop for around £3, which is much less than the £30 plus it fetches on eBay.

I did see Secret of Mana for the SNES in my local GameStation once, they wanted £59.99 for it. :/

Dark_Phantom_89
22nd March 2010, 06:14 PM
Wow those prices are sky high :eek

The most expensive I've seen is Tombi (PS1) for £100

wich
23rd March 2010, 03:38 PM
ff7 really fetches way too much, it is all but rare and since it now can be had on psn for a few bucks prices are dropping like a stone. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, but it simply won't be pulling the kind of price it has for a few years.

IH8YOU
23rd March 2010, 11:09 PM
FF7 original box (pre "greatest hits" boxing) still fetches a hefty sum.

They'll be pulling that one from my cold, dead fingers before it goes on ebay. :evil

DJ Techno
23rd March 2010, 11:29 PM
FF7 original box (pre "greatest hits" boxing) still fetches a hefty sum.

They'll be pulling that one from my cold, dead fingers before it goes on ebay. :evil

I'll start pulling off your cold dead Azz

and take that game on not only ebay, amazon, beezit, the game auction store here, and guess what...

i'll sell that game for cheap dime!

just because you wanted to hold on that game so much.

you love it that much...

i'll do you a favor. and

OBH
24th March 2010, 12:08 PM
I did see Secret of Mana for the SNES in my local GameStation once, they wanted £59.99 for it. :/
Now thats a classic right there :)

Kyonshi
27th March 2010, 05:22 PM
Persona 1 is one of the most expensive game i've seen at my local game store. Its tagged at 197.99$ CAN. I loved this game when i played it in 1997. Since i have Tarot cards, i was charmed by the idea of using Tarots to cast spells and summon creatures :P. But at this price, no way i will buy it!

The most valuable i got, though i never made them evaluated, are FF7 original box, FF8 original, wipE'ouT'' original cardboard box, Castlevania: SOTN original, Silent Hill original.

JABBERJAW
30th March 2010, 06:44 PM
check out neo geo game cartridges for high prices, insane!