PDA

View Full Version : Weapons annoyances

Harvai
2nd January 2003, 11:32 AM
if you wanna have a slag at WO 2097's weapons this is the place to do it :x
here's something to get the ball rolling...
Autopilots always send you crasing into the walls at a really high speed!

DarkTrancer
2nd January 2003, 01:02 PM
The trick is to cancel the auto pilot before it sends u crashin into the walls =oP
best uses for auto p =
1.Only use it for tight turns or parts of tracks u just haven`t perfected.
2.Sometimes on the faster speeds u get a crowd of ships attackin,use there also to steer u out of the barging etc.
3.Dont use on long straights (top speed is limited)

Anastasia
4th January 2003, 08:53 PM
I want to have a gripe about the Electrobolt :x *gripe, gripe, gripe* because it annoys me. I don't really see the point of such a weapon. It looks eerie too - a cross between lightning and an arachnid - neither of which I am very fond of!

Vasudeva
5th January 2003, 10:36 AM
The electrobolt is the heir to the first installment's shockwave: rather pointless, but it doesn slow down your opponents significantly. And I do think it has something cool, although in 2097 nothing beats the sensation of hearing your rear-locked missile (beatiful!) slam into your closest chaser.

For some reason, the weapons in 2097 have a more powerful attitude than those in 3 or SE. The explosions are louder, the impacts more shocking and the projectiles are more visible. Perhaps the music is more aggressive too.

Peace!
V.

Myke_AG_Sys™
5th January 2003, 11:12 AM
I've said it before here on the board somewhere....

They should have used the 2097/XL missle and rocket effects in Wipeout 3/SE. It would have made a big difference to me. Plus they scrapped missle rear locking in Wipeout 3. I'm only guessing that they simplified the weaponry for the sake of increased frame rate.

2097/XL Weapon gripe - Quake in Phantom class. Need I tell you why? You end up tailing the quake and you can't see anything infront of you. It's scary.

jmoid
5th January 2003, 07:31 PM
yeah quake is almost unusable at phantom class, i usually hit it only if i've just crashed or i'm taking a slow turn.

i missed the rear locking missile in w3 too.

always cancel the autopilot before it does it for you otherwise you'll hit wallage.

Brother Laz
6th January 2003, 04:12 PM
For me the only useable items in Phantom are autopilot (pray it doesn't fly me into mines or something and just accept the loss if it does happen, because Spilskinanke is rather impossible without autopilot), e-pak, missile and the humble electrobolt (hey, halved speed for 8 seconds... not bad!). Everything else either blinds me (t-bomb, quake, even shield) or is useless in Phantom (rockets, mines, plasma).

Hence me losing. :)

xEik
6th January 2003, 05:24 PM
I think that if you go fast enough at phantom you can pass your own rockets. Not sure though.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
6th January 2003, 05:50 PM
Brother Laz has just reminded me of how much i dislike the shield; i can hardly see anything when it's on and end up bashing into things i ought not to while opponents gain lots of time on me

Task
6th January 2003, 07:16 PM
Funniest thing I ever saw in WO3:
My friend Donald and I are playing The MegaMall Classic (Eliminator, 8 points, Venom) and he hits a wall while going around a corner. When he straightens out he sees a weapon pad up ahead, so he fires off the Plasma he's got, hoping to grab a Quake when he passes over the pad. He then accellerates _into_his_plasma_ and eliminates himself!
No, he didn't get a point for it.
Made me laugh so hard that I crashed, though.

zargz
7th January 2003, 03:22 PM
rokets/missiles in wo3 r better coz in 2097 they r SOoo SLOOOOWWWwwww ... zzz zz z

AmishRobot
11th January 2003, 07:18 AM
That's the beauty of those missles, though! They have a really slow launch speed, but they gain speed like crazy after a couple seconds. Few things are better than launching the missles while at full speed and seeing them just disappear, only to have them pass you by a while later and nail the guy right in front of you, flipping him right over you as you pass him by. Doesn't it really increase the sense of speed when you're outrunning your own missles? >:)[/i]

lunar
13th January 2003, 05:19 PM
I think the weapons in 2097 were the best of any wipeout, the simplest and the most satisfying because of it. I wish 3SE had the weapons from 2097.... that would be the best flying and the best fighting combined, possibly.

the plague of useless, silly, boring or too easy weapons began in Wip3out, with the cloak, reflector, force wall and the "can`t miss" plasma bolt. It then got worse with some of fusion`s weapons, many of which were either ridiculous (green blob) pointless (flamer) too easy to use (shield drain, power swarm) or just annoying (gravity bomb).

I like all the weapons in 2097, and it has the best quake of all in my opinion. Admittedly Electro Bolt is a bit pointless, but I love the way the announcer says it at least.

Harvai
18th January 2003, 11:23 AM
lol :D
her's a weird thing to do on 2097:
go to Valpariso (my fave. track) in any class. make shure you have a autopilot, and when you approach the first of the s- bends in the tunnel, use it just before you hit the wall. you should then fly straight through the wall before being corrected!

lunar
18th January 2003, 04:01 PM
Valparaiso is CLASS indeed. Very strange how autopilot enables your ship to fly thru walls at times. :D You could call it a bug, but I prefer to call it the amazing technology of the year 2097. This tactic`s handy on Gare D`Europa and Spilskinanke too.