PDA

View Full Version : PSP Go...Your Thoughts

Dav657
15th March 2010, 01:34 AM
So I sold my PSP a while ago just because of the fact that I rarely played wipeout any more and pulse was kind of a let down after kai'ing it up on pure almost everyday for like 4 months. But anyways I was thinking of getting back into wipeout for some reason(because its f****** amazing!!!) but the PSP Go really captured my eye. I dont know much about the PSP Go am pretty sure it hasnt been hacking in anyway and am waiting for that to happen because that will be the seller this time around.

So..... Any one that has a PSP Go what are your thoughts on it? I originally had a phatty with m337 on it. Idk the firmware version, but is the go really worht 250? I mean I could just buy a Ps3 and play wipeout Hd!

BulletWraith
15th March 2010, 02:36 AM
I don't own one but have played extensively on my friends Go, I really liked it, controls were about the same, I actually liked the analog stick a but more, though its uncomfortable as hell, I cut up an original PS1 pad and made it into a grip for the Go which works great, also you can use a DS3 with it which is good too

only negative that struck me about it is the price, but I feel that the Go is more for those who have the cash to dump on such a thing(and its games)
I keep hearing things about Sony doing a sort of re-launch of the Go and a slightly lowered price point, so maybe look into that before you go pick one up, might be wise to wait a little while

though if you place comfort over portability you may want to just get a 3000
unless you have the hands of a 7 year old

I'm sure the others can be of more help
zer:donutshen

Dav657
15th March 2010, 02:57 AM
I actually do have the hands of a seven year old :( I have really small hands and its kind of embrassing but yes I do have small girly hands :redface: And a psp go price drop to like i dunno 180 would make a deal. haha i wish....

blackwiggle
15th March 2010, 06:39 AM
We discussed the possibilities of the GO! in this thread a while back.
I'd read through it if I were you,I'd hate for this thread to end up the way that one did. ;) :cold
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6949

infoxicated
15th March 2010, 09:47 AM
I like the compactness of the Go!, but I have two PSP's already and, aside from podcast watching on the train, my one doesn't get used for a whole amount. (my daughter plays LBP on the other one)

I'd maybe switch to one if my one got broken, but the scalping that goes on with both the downloadable games and the "minis" is just ridiculous... I mean, £3.99 for a poor remake of bloody Tetris is taking the piss - that and prices in the £20 range for games you can't re-sell is just something I'm not willing to pay.

The go is dying a death in Japan, too, so that's something you should maybe factor in. To my mind, if you're going to shell out 2/3rds of the price of a PS3 then you might as well go the whole hog - you'll get so much more out of it. It only does a lot more than the PSP. ;)

blackwiggle
15th March 2010, 10:13 AM
I was just reading a post a PS Universe that Sony is seriously thinking of scraping the GO! due to epic failure of sales world wide.

Plus apparently people have been having problems with game downloads not working,so they have deleted the game and gone to reinstall from the PStore,but the DRM on the GO! won't allow it,saying it's an illegal download or some such equal problem with no fix in sight.:-

Not good.
Suppose we would be better off waiting for the GO!'s replacement.

Dan Locke
15th March 2010, 02:05 PM
The Go is pointless. It's just a PSP without the ability to play UMDs and with crippling DRM on the stuff that it does play.

infoxicated
16th March 2010, 06:58 PM
It has many benefits over the old style psp, and your sweeping, dismissive statement adds absolutely nothing to the discussion, but then you are getting good at that style of posting.

What's it to be, Dan - a discussion forum or just a place for you to dismiss other people's opinions as you see fit?

Give you a hint - it's not the latter. If you have nothing to add to a thread, stay out of it.

drell
16th March 2010, 11:03 PM
I try to understand: you mention compact as advantage, but then price as disadvantage. How can you say "it has many advantages" in the next sentence?

Sorry, I don't understand.

Here are advantages:
-Bluetooth, good for games with lots of action, like Wipeout.
-Smaller, better for being carried around than standard PSP for sure.
-Better but smaller screen (half disadvantage)
-Integrated memory, easy to use, no worry about changing UMD or memory stick.

Now disadvantages:
-Price of games is set by Sony because of no UMD
-Price of console is higher because Sony "wants to"
-Buy all accessories all over again if you had any for standard PSP, because they do not work with Go. Oh this includes new Memory Stick format, because old one for standard PSP is incompatible.
-Only 16GB of integrated memory. What happens in future when you have many games, you buy memory stick? Keep buying memory stick, these are very expensive. Keep going I say!
-Internal battery. Again, in future when it is dead, what use is a PSP Go if you can only play while on power adaptor? Pay fee for Sony to change battery because you are out of warranty?

Sorry, still don't see how spending more money is advantage. Maybe for Sony, but not for us.
I try to be fair, but really, can you say again it is worth it right now? I say no. Wait for Sony to make a move on PSP Go again. It is certain they will try again, if not you will have saved a lot of money and can buy a regular PSP or a PS3. :)

WolfKill01
17th March 2010, 01:11 AM
From what I've played on a friend's Go, I've noticed that my hand cramps up more often then on my 3000. And it's terribly uncomfortable for wipeout or any other game that uses the L and R buttons excessivley. Although I did enjoy watching movies on it and the internal memory is pretty sweet. Although since it is downloadable games only that'll go fairly quickly. Plus I've always enjoyed going to a store, buying a physical copy from a shelf, and receiving my change from another person. But that's just me. :D

Dav657
17th March 2010, 02:56 AM
so I played around with a PSP go at best buy today and I really really liked the feel and quality of it compared to my old psp-1000. Am trying to find it pretty cheap and used for like maybe 180? Cause I do like the fact that it has 16 gigs of internal and it can be extended with another 32gigs of internal so my movie collection will fit quite nicely on there :). Also the only thing am not liking is the lack of umds and sonys price gouging on the digital downloads but am only buying pure and maybe another wipeout for the ps one if its even on the store.

infoxicated
17th March 2010, 09:43 AM
I try to understand: you mention compact as advantage, but then price as disadvantage. How can you say "it has many advantages" in the next sentence?

Sorry, I don't understand.

Here are advantages:
-Bluetooth, good for games with lots of action, like Wipeout.
-Smaller, better for being carried around than standard PSP for sure.
-Better but smaller screen (half disadvantage)
-Integrated memory, easy to use, no worry about changing UMD or memory stick.

Now disadvantages:
-Price of games is set by Sony because of no UMD
-Price of console is higher because Sony "wants to"
-Buy all accessories all over again if you had any for standard PSP, because they do not work with Go. Oh this includes new Memory Stick format, because old one for standard PSP is incompatible.
-Only 16GB of integrated memory. What happens in future when you have many games, you buy memory stick? Keep buying memory stick, these are very expensive. Keep going I say!
-Internal battery. Again, in future when it is dead, what use is a PSP Go if you can only play while on power adaptor? Pay fee for Sony to change battery because you are out of warranty?

Sorry, still don't see how spending more money is advantage. Maybe for Sony, but not for us.
I try to be fair, but really, can you say again it is worth it right now? I say no. Wait for Sony to make a move on PSP Go again. It is certain they will try again, if not you will have saved a lot of money and can buy a regular PSP or a PS3. :)
I see the compactness, the bluetooth functionality, and the built in memory as big advantages.

The price of the console should not be considered a disadvantage - if you compare it with other fully functional media players it's in roughly the same area, and Sony don't build crap products so I'm sure the build quality will be spot on.

I'm not sure losing the UMD is a disadvantage, either - it's slow, noisy, and drains the battery, yet gets far more criticism than is fair. So I think replacing it with built in memory is a big advantage - especially since it's expandable. The disadvantage is I have a handful of UMD games that wouldn't make the transition.

The accessory issue is an interesting one. I don't necessarily believe that it should be backwards compatible with all of the PSP 1000-3000 accessories, but then it would be nice. I have the camera and a satnav attachments and although I rarely use the camera these days, the satnav comes in very handy and I'd be unlikely to get back half it's value if I ebayed it.

The DRM is a non-issue for me. If I buy stuff from the PSN I know I can use it on my PS3 and as many PSP's as I own. Fine by me - I don't intend to be doing any sharing with the stuff I buy beyond that.

The real disadvantage would be the price of stuff on the PSN store. It's generally around 40% above what I'd be willing to pay for downloadable games. This is not the fault of the PSP Go! at all - in Europe it's as a result of the blanket Euro catch-all pricing policies. Games like WipEout Pulse, as much as the team slaved to make that game happen and the fact that it was a full price UMD game don't turn it into a full price download game 2.5 years after release - especially as I could pick it up for half the download price in a bargain bin of a game store.

The main reason I wouldn't switch is because I believe we're too near to the end of the PSP's lifecycle to invest in a hardware refresh. The same things I've had to live with on the original PSP (ropey on/off switch and lack of right analogue stick) are still looming large, and those are determining my desire to purchase one. Again, not necessarily disadvantages of the PSP Go! - more like disadvantages of PSP ownership regardless of the form factor.

infoxicated
18th March 2010, 11:32 AM
Additional reading - at least Sony are making some moves to stimulate the sales of the PSP Go!, but I think it's probably too little too late:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20100317/tc_pcworld/sonystruggleswithpoorsalesofthepspgo

blackwiggle
16th April 2010, 02:35 AM
According to the source below it seems Sony will be releasing a replacement for the GO! around Sept-Oct.

Called the PSP-2

Apparently PSPlife has been given a few details about the PSP successor. Their source has told them that the PSP 2 will be launching this fall in Japan (with PAL/NA unconfirmed). It will also be launched alongside a Playstation Phone, with both devices sharing a "app store". The PSP 2 will apparently have a capacitative touchscreen and tilt/motion sensors. The PSP 2 will also be rocking the PowerVR SGX543 graphical chipset.

It is also reported that Ready at Dawn is working on a launch title for the PSP 2. Also the PSP 2 will not be shipping with a UMD drive and that games will be sold as carts/memorysticks of some kind.

SOURCE:http://twitter.com/PSPLife

On a related note.
Sony has just pulled it's social network services for the GO!
It was in Beta trial in Japan but apparently flopped.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/15/sony-pulls-the-plug-on-psp-social-network-service/

Frances_Penfold
19th April 2010, 02:58 AM
I really like many features of the PSP Go but there is no question that sales have been stunningly terrible in Japan and North America. (I don't follow PAL charts, perhaps Europe/Australia sales have been somewhat better.)

Nintendo has already announced the new 3DS model to be released "before March 2011." This effectively forces Sony to release a PSP 2 at some point in the next 1.0 - 1.5 years. There is no way Sony can afford to hand over third party support and consumer mindshare to Nintendo if it wants to stay in the business of making handheld consoles. Not clear how well the PSP Go form will be reflected in the PSP 2.

All of which is to say, I kinda expect that the PSP Go will receive a significant price cut in the next few months as stores work to clear out their stocks. May be a good time to pick up a PSP Go on the cheap!

... though its uncomfortable as hell, I cut up an original PS1 pad and made it into a grip for the Go which works great

Sounds cool! Can you post a picture or more description? The PSP Go seems like a good console to have some kind of grip device for...