PDA

View Full Version : BLUR - Head's up! new battle/racer on the horizon

AG-wolf
14th March 2010, 08:15 AM
OMG. omg omg omg. That's pretty much all I can say. I'm lucky to have been hooked up with an invite from a friend of mine to beta test this amazing new racing/battle game called "Blur."

It's fast
It's pretty
It's technical
It's literally like Wipeout with cars

Wipeout Time Trial fans may not appreciate it as much, but for the people who are more battle/fighting/carnage oriented, it may be a dream come true.

it is DEFINITELY something to keep your eyes on; I can't find details on the NDAs regarding being able to beta test it, so I don't want to give any specific details, but go find pictures, videos, blogs, whatever you can, and look into it

I am not exaggerating when I say this was as much fun as wipeout if not more-so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8QPGWZXtmU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2CdZ4lJ7tM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0DKOMCdew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ee1hkKaXOo

OBH
14th March 2010, 09:56 AM
Looks like Burnout but with rockets and mines :)

ACE-FLO
14th March 2010, 12:06 PM
Deathrace? :D

stin
14th March 2010, 12:09 PM
Looks like RollCage!!, pretty cool stuff.

stevie:)

rdmx
14th March 2010, 12:52 PM
I wish I had a 360 so I could play the beta of this. It's been on my radar for a while and looks really good. Most likely will get it on PC.
It is being published by activision though - if it does well expect to see a sequel in a year.

JABBERJAW
14th March 2010, 01:57 PM
"Wipeout Time Trial fans may not appreciate it as much, but for the people who are more battle/fighting/carnage oriented, it may be a dream come true."

like HD ;)

I am sure that there is computer catch up if you fall behind to make sure every race goes to the end. A bit cynical here, but that is the way it always seems to be now.

At least wipeout, fzero, and xg have never had this feature

eLhabib
14th March 2010, 02:34 PM
AG-Wolf, you serious?! I played this (pardon my language) pile of crap at a promo event, and apart from being waaaay to reliant on luck, weapon-wise, it is also SLOW and absolutely UN-TECHNICAL. Now maybe the build I played wasn't as polished as the beta you're playing now (it was back in November), but they would have had to change the game completely to make it somewhere near exciting :-

And yes, there was severe rubber-banding going on, an absolute NO-NO in a technical game.
Plus, it features normal cars. Feels like herecy to compare it to wipEout, Blur lacks any visual style whatsoever.

AG-wolf
14th March 2010, 10:51 PM
You must have definitely played a significantly older build, because this was fast, colorful, stylized...

The races I've played were only multiplayer, so every car on the track was another human being... I don't even know if I'm allowed to say how many cars can be on the track at once, but it's more than Wipeout lol

There wasn't any noticeable rubber-banding (not like Burnout 3 or 4, good lord)... I don't know what the VS CPU modes are like, though I never play those on most Wipeout games either (just TT or vs online), so it personally doesn't bother me.

Just because it uses "real cars" doesn't mean anything, believe me ;D

I'm nervous about seeing the Activision name on the game, too, but they're working with the guys who did Project Gotham and Geometry Wars, so there's a definite established ability with competent speed and visuals XD

There's a possibility that anyone else with a 360 and an internet connection can try this;
http://www.blurgame.com/beta/

You get the code to download the demo and you get a free 48hrs of Gold Live to play online

eLhabib
14th March 2010, 11:42 PM
I'll check that out - thanks for the info, Wolf! :+

BulletWraith
15th March 2010, 03:48 AM
AG-Wolf thats down right disgraceful!
you didn't link to the best trailer ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmrZZqcMaM
I just love this song with it, looking forward to the game verymuch so:hyper
this and Mod Nation Racers

-zer:donutshen

Edit: omg!
it has 4 player Split Screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVJGOi6jHSs&annotation_id=annotation_199010&feature=iv
I'm sold

Chill
15th March 2010, 06:07 AM
:/ not impressed... Looks like flag chases in Midnight Club, but a race version... Basically deathrace... Actually, if this game was just called deathrace... :/ No wait, if deathrace was just called Wipeout... Uuuugh I'm lost! :P

It looks fun, but doesn't look like it would take as much skill as Wipeout without the turbo pads or really tight curves and corners or without airbrakes, looks closer to Wipeout Fusion in cars but guess we'll see...

I personally don't think this compares anywhere near Wipeout... But that's just me...

blackwiggle
15th March 2010, 06:08 AM
I'm sorry to say from what I saw in those videos it looks rather dull game-play wise IMHO.
Sort of Ridge Racer/Need for speed/Project Gotham/GT/ insert generic racer ...with weapons.
I can't help feeling like I've seen this game a hundred times before.
Pity,I had my hopes raised briefly.

It's a shame that racing games made in 2010 still have that ancient arcade style of pick-up's that you have to drive through ,the very annoying type that obscure your view of the track and anything else that's in front of you.

I worked out why Activision and others go for this stylized way of pick-up's.
Because it's cheap to do,cheap to change.
It's not embedded in the track like wipeout,so moving it about doesn't mean re-rendering a portion of the track again.
It needs no thought,no real planning on placement, because in this case it seems it is basically filler to a overlong NASCAR racer that was half finished on a workstation somewhere.
One of those tracks must of been a basically straight line for a good 60+ seconds,what thrilling and challenging track design :brickwall
Sorry,I'm getting more annoyed about this the more I think about what talented people at SL got the flick,yet slackers who make this still have jobs.

Every speed pad and weapon pad on the brilliantly designed Wipeout tracks was place exactly where it is on a track for a reason.
Be in entry/exit speed from a corner ,the banking of a track,the likelihood of hitting one directly after doing a BR.

I can't see anything remotely like that here.

Kind of sad really.

AG-wolf
15th March 2010, 09:05 PM
The problem with comparing it to Wipeout is the fact that Wipeout is the bar to meet. The series has always been the pinnacle of this genre because it essentially created it... It's not fair to malign it solely because it isn't wipeout.

Those videos are old, now that I have a chance to look at them a little more closely (I was in a rush when I posted initially), and the game dynamics and atmosphere has already changed a lot. Just because there's a wide open area of a track doesn't mean you don't have to have some kind of skill to evade/deter weapons.

Zero's link especially doesn't show what has since changed.

There are a bunch of other videos uploaded to YouTube, so I figured what the heck on the two I recorded:

Southwestern kinda area... maybe outside Los Angeles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0e7m0sUlBw

Tokyo track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF-UtPS5xIU

Disregard any dialog in the videos, my ma was walking around and chatting occasionally lol

Dan Locke
15th March 2010, 10:50 PM
Wipeout "created" the combat-racing genre? News to me... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Kart)

AG-wolf
15th March 2010, 11:01 PM
mybad, but the point remains they set the bar/standard for what people expect when it comes to serious and heavy gameplay.

wow, I'm pretty surprised I had a complete brainfart on mario kart lol :P I said "essentially" though, mainly in context of the stylistic and realistic aspect or the games... Mario Kart has always been light hearted and cutesy, where-as Wipeout, XG, Twisted Metal, etc were always pretty brutal

Chill
16th March 2010, 04:49 AM
Well I think Road Rash was pretty much one of the first when it comes to combat racing... Speaking of which, I wish the series was still around... :/

We're only saying this because you were saying Blur may even be better than Wipeout... But that's not true, just saying... ;)

mic-dk
16th March 2010, 05:37 AM
I actually think it looks reasonably pretty, but compared to WO I just get no sense of speed. In the videos it feels like you're trundling along with 30mph, in a lightning storm of some sort - not tear-assing through Tokyo, guns blazing.

I can't see myself trading WO away for this - Sorry AGWolf :D

AG-wolf
16th March 2010, 12:23 PM
Damn, Road Rash too... I guess I'm getting senile at 26 lol :P I used to play Road Rash 3 and the PSX/Saturn one all the time when I was younger D:

I don't know if it's necessarily "better" than wipeout, but it's a hell of a lot more fun in my opinion; maybe I've just gotten bored of WO lately. I'm not suggesting anyone "trade" Wipeout :P

Mik- it's definitely faster than it looks. Even Wipeout doesn't always look as fast as it feels, at least not to me.

Here are some more videos- they're better quality, as I was able to play online at my dorm (!!) and use my computer's video capture... they should convert to Youtube's high-quality or 480p/720p mode eventually;

Powered-Up mode (20 car race)
Barcelona (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K7YTxQ0tMM)
Tokyo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Cfnjhgdxg)
"Amboy: Badlands" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jps-_49YJ6M)

Motor Mash mode (demolition derby/Mario Kart vs):
Amboy: Devil's Dip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeYTiEmb8k)

Chill
17th March 2010, 04:41 AM
Yeah, you're probably tired of Wipeout... which is why it's not bad to play other games... hahaha! ;) But I would definately get tired of this game before I got tired of Wipeout... Wipeout is pretty much the only racing game I play anymore, and then I play other types like first-person shooters and third-person view games... But nothing will ever be as serious to Wipeout to me... Wipeout is such a good game, it feels more like a sporting competition... It's nothing you can really do in reality and it DOES take much skill... Wipeout is like fooseball in the 80's... ;)

AurigaAB
25th March 2010, 09:01 PM
basically filler to a overlong NASCAR racer that was half finished on a workstation somewhere

^ this.

Stolen. Zero.

AG-wolf
28th March 2010, 04:53 AM
this is nothing like NASCAR at all.

It is genuinely worth a try for everyone here; I've had more fun with this game in the past few weeks than anything else over the last year or two. Especially when you get a group of a few friends on the track, you can work together as a team to plow through people. There's much more to this game than what you may see on the surface or whatever you think it entails. I'll be getting both the PS3 and 360 versions, so I hope to see some people here on the tracks somewhere.

Also, for the few 360 owners here; if you "become a fan" of the Blur facebook page, they frequently post beta invite codes, so you can get in on it. Supposedly it goes live beta sometime in early April or something, so you don't necessarily have to worry about the beta invite after that.

JABBERJAW
4th June 2010, 12:18 PM
Eric, is there catch up in this game? or better weapons for being behind? Is there a demo? (at work right now so I cannot check)

rdmx
4th June 2010, 03:34 PM
No catch up as far as I could tell
There's no better weapons for those behind - the same pickups are available to everyone - if you watch a video you'll see what I mean.
There are rows of powerups, and sometimes the pickups within them can shuffle before the beginning of the race, but it isn't completely random - each row will have a preset number of each pickup after complaints that random shuffle ruined the game.
EDIT: Also I think it would be good if the thread title were made a little more descriptive to talk about Blur.

AG-wolf
4th June 2010, 04:35 PM
oh god, random spawn power-ups DID ruin the game, it was an abomination. thank god it didn't return in the final game

Unfortunately the final game doesn't feel quite as good as the beta demo.

The demo required skill, intuition, awareness of weapon characteristics, driving ability, constant attention to your surroundings...

The final game balanced a few things out... and I don't think the game is better for it.

In the beta, placing first (or top-three) required good driving and skilled weapon/item mastery...

In the final game, it comes down to mostly luck now that they changed the weapons' effectiveness. Good driving still plays a factor but, a win doesn't give you the rewarding sense of accomplishment that it did in the beta, and a loss doesn't inspire you to improve like it did in the beta

Unfortunately, at least as it stands right now, the attached comic from Penny-Arcade kinda sums it up :/

It's still a potentially good game, if they fix/tweak some stuff, but I don't know if it's worth holding your breath for right now. I might edit my first post and do a sort of write-up about the game, because the beta originally gave me every much a sense of excitement and thrill as Wipeout, but now the final game seems to fall just a little short :/

rdmx
5th June 2010, 04:31 AM
I don't know about you but if the game degenerated to 'know all the nitro locations' it wouldn't be much fun anymore in multi - it would come down to who started first and got the jump on the nitros.
The fact that nitros are shuffled a little helps ensure that the same path isn't taken each time.

AG-wolf
5th June 2010, 07:13 AM
If it weren't for the fact that my friends and I have repeatedly managed to crawl our way back to top position after being knocked to the back of the pack in the beta demo, then that would be a justifiable argument. But if you know how to race and you know how to handle the weapons, you could always take out first place...

Now in the final game, while the occasional shuffle isn't necessarily bad per se, the spawn locations along with the other changes have basically made it a crap-shoot...

WHere good racing and intelligent offense/defense usually meant more consistent success, they've dumbed the game down to the point where the crappy players don't have a better chance to get first, the better players simply have a worse chance. That's all fine and dandy for little 10 year old Billy, but it's a joke when success should be earned rather than left up to an obnoxious series of events.

Believe me, I'm all for making a game accessible... but the thing was they HAD an accessible game. Even if someone wasn't one of the pole-position players, they still had a fun and engaging battle in the lower positions and gradually learned the finesse of the tracks and the dynamics of the items. Now it's just a permanent retarded cluster-**** behind first place, and first place just gets shunt after shunt after shunt without opportunity to realistically or strategically block/evade/null the onslaught. Imagine being in first on Ubermall where the person behind you fires a homing missile that locks onto you regardless of how far away you are, and they do this repeatedly, except you're lucky if you manage to block more than two of them because you can't actually DO anything at all.

I know I sound like a broken record, but it's really disappointing from a game whose early stages showed an intelligent, engaging and competent experience which has since been watered-down to something little more technical than Mario Kart... which is what it was trying to separate itself from in the first place.

Danterich
5th June 2010, 09:13 AM
I bought it for xbox, played the beta, had great fun, but:
It feels so frustrating cause of the issues AGwolf mentioned so i really prefer WipeoutHD over blur!

ProblemSolver
6th June 2010, 02:41 AM
Haven't played it, but does the name Blur fits the game? Just wondering.

AG-wolf
7th June 2010, 06:36 PM
yeah it's applicable at least.

ProblemSolver
8th June 2010, 08:36 AM
// Digital Foundry: Blur Tech Interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-blur-tech-interview

Good article, makes me wanna play the game. The article is spot on and
talks a lot about stuff being done on the SPEs.

... Steven Tovey: Our approach to PS3 development has come on a lot even in the last 18 months since I've been a member of the team here. We now have almost all of the rendering, physics and audio on the SPUs and any new systems developed for Horizon are designed specifically with the SPUs in mind.

Designing for the SPUs also has the pleasant side effect of increasing performance on our other target hardware since it will typically mean giving a lot of thought to patterns of memory access and parallelism, ...
That's the key point.

AG-wolf
8th June 2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah, the guys from Bizarre are really creative programmers, they know their stuff.

I've yet to see the PS3 version, though I do want to see how it compares to the 360 one visually.

Unfortunately, I hear the PS3 version actually has more bugs atm than the 360 one; lots of network issues and freezes... and the game has frozen my 360 enough times when playing online, that I can only imagine what it must be like for PS3 owners :/

I'd still give the game another couple weeks or so before you check it out, they still have a number of issues to address and it's not worth the frustration right now.

Hellfire_WZ
8th June 2010, 10:09 PM
Bought it today. I've seen nothing more than Mario Kart with twice the amount of bullshit flying at you all the time.

I am seriously not liking it so far. Looking like a contender to be traded in at the end of the week I'm afraid.

AG-wolf
9th June 2010, 12:03 PM
"I've seen nothing more than Mario Kart with twice the amount of bullshit flying at you all the time."

Which is exactly what it wasn't in the beta. I'd hop on and we could try and work together on the track at some point, but I presume you bought the PS3 version XD

ProblemSolver
9th June 2010, 09:52 PM
Hmmm.

Wolf, do you any an idea why they switch all the stuff for the retail version?

AG-wolf
9th June 2010, 11:47 PM
It's not necessarily that they "switched" anything...

I just think they were trying to make it more approachable for less hardcore/dedicated players... Since the tweaks they made for the final game remove a fair portion of the actual driving/battling skill which was necessary to do well before, the people who just wanna jump into a game with lots of frantic action and pretty visuals are happier because they feel like they have a better chance of success.

Those of us who were very good at the beta had no problem doing away with, and getting away from, the less skilled drivers... it eventually created a hierarchy on the track, but it was cool because when you were battling with one or more other good drivers, it became a very tactical and intense experience.

In the final game, the steroid-shunts, the wall-riding, weak barges, and sh*tty drivers, half of the race is a cluster-****, then the other half is coming to terms with the fact that you got gypped out of a position you should be capable of maintaining.

I can't really answer "why." That's a question meant for the developers :/ And I can't really say much else about the game, either, that I haven't already b*tched and moaned about already lol :P I haven't played in a few days, maybe something has changed by now... maybe not. I'm still crossing my fingers, that's all I can say.

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

ProblemSolver
10th June 2010, 07:33 AM
Sounds odd. Seems like Blur is just another fire-and-forget (ca$h-) title
nobody cares about once the hype is over.

KIGO1987
28th June 2010, 05:15 PM
Blur meet up thread, and general talk thread.

For those dont have this game and dont know what it is, here is a link;

http://blurracing.com.au/

SaturnReturn
28th June 2010, 05:56 PM
@KIGO - I've merged the thread you made with this one, as it already exists as a general talk thread, and also includes some nice background on the game too, which would otherwise perhaps be missed, as people seem to have missed it already.

If it seems like there is a need for a separate BLUR meetings thread like the online meeting threads for HD, Pulse etc then we'll consider it.

KIGO1987
28th June 2010, 06:08 PM
better to have the two threads merged together, like i said in the other thread, never found this thread, thats why i created that other thread, it didnt come up in the searches, and it wasnt tagged either.

Just tagged the thread then, now it will be found by others when trying to find a thread about Blur.

AG-wolf
28th June 2010, 06:08 PM
lol Blur, I haven't touched it in ages since the final game launched. The dev team still hasn't fixed any of the countless problems, let alone re-balanced all the unnecessary changes they made from the beta.

Kigo; you're about the biggest PS3 nut here- are you able to even play it?? The Blur forums are lit up with complaints about network and server errors and stuff with the PS3 version...

KIGO1987
28th June 2010, 06:27 PM
Funny you mention that. Last night when racing IH8YOU (US east coast), Andybob (Brighton UK), and Wotan (Frenchland), the servers where absolutely fuked. Kept on being signed out all the time. Was getting quite shiity over it. about to break my remaining controller i have. But i am literally on the other side of the world, on the most isolated city on Earth, with the most shiitiest broadband available in any developed nation in the world so im not certain if it was the servers i was playing on, or the useless ADSL2+ that i have now which has dropped to 3.5mbps, because the lame arse Federal government still havent replaced these copper lines which have been around since the poms colonized Australia.

But i have to say one thing. The voice chat in this game works brilliantly, if this was around on WOHD back in the good days, Avalon would been even better than what it already is. Its great having a good yarn with your mates in the lobby and the game. Makes the gaming experience all that better.

Hows the servers over there on Skynet btw? Have they become self aware yet? :p

ACE-FLO
28th June 2010, 11:03 PM
Funny thing that - I havent had any probs with online yet at all, no disconnections or anything, well not yet anyway :D. Must be their newtorks - consider this, Have you, in your experience in online gaming so far, come across a game in which no-one experiences problems online? Is such a thing possible? All i'm saying is that schitt does happen, and you gotta get used to it or shut it and play offline ;) Skool o hard knocks man, enjoy the lagfest :D

KIGO1987
28th June 2010, 11:28 PM
Well if you werent smoking weed all of last night Ace and joined the race room with Andy, Anthony and i when we sent you and invite you would of seen how crap the servers where. It was a joke. It wasnt a one off event, it was very consistent, consistent in being shiit that is.

20 player online races are fun, when it works..... but when the host has a connection from Burma, Laos or Cambodia, the gameplay gets incredibly crappy.

How bad it was, isnt really something i will be wanting to get use to in the future.

ACE-FLO
28th June 2010, 11:35 PM
looks like I did the smart thing then, and played wipEout :D

KIGO1987
28th June 2010, 11:45 PM
Still you should of joined....

I thought you had a headache and was too stoned to race any racing combat games yesterday Ace?

AG-wolf
29th June 2010, 03:13 AM
If the final version of Blur didn't come out so crappy, I would have picked it up for PS3, too... maybe another game will come along some day gentlemen :P

KIGO1987
29th June 2010, 05:14 AM
The game came out pretty good at the end, a few bugs it has, yes. But it has what WOHD didnt have, proper functioning voice chat enabled in the game in online races and the lobby, and the 3 weapon hold on feature in Blur is a great concept. If this could be incorporated in the next (bloody hope so) title of Wipeout, this would be great.

DreamyElf
29th June 2010, 07:30 AM
oh no! is the online broken?
i've ordered my copy last night... :(
i hope they'll fix the problems with a patch until the game arrives.
if they don't i won't buy again any game from activision again!never!
not after what happened to me with modern warfare 2 on pc. :frown:

KIGO1987
29th June 2010, 08:29 AM
Well if the servers for Activision get removed from Burma then im sure online with the game will operate the way it should.

Just on the game not so long ago, got the last two bosses left to pass. Game has its extremely frustrating parts in the game, but overall is a good racing combat game (Activision im waiting on another Vigilante8 damn it....)

yeldar2097
29th June 2010, 11:23 AM
I've had one disconnection so far so it's no worse that Wipeout.

Actually it come out on top as far as online is concerned because there isn't ship-crippling, game-breaking, rage-inducing lag. Yes there is a certain degree of lag for me because my ping is around 500ms but I've never really felt as if I've been disadvantaged in any way, unlike pretty much every race in Wipeout.

No BRs though.

The only things I have against this game are the graphics (Wipeout HD sets a pretty high benchmark) and the lack of custom soundtrack during online play. Oh and the campaign is way too hard on hard mode. Elite Campaign Legend was way easier :nod

ACE-FLO
29th June 2010, 01:40 PM
Elite Campaign in WIpEout HD was easier, I agree :D

KIGO1987
29th June 2010, 06:54 PM
Lack of custom soundtrack is a miss this game should of had.

Got the last two bosses to complete in this game, getting those fan points on some of the campaign events have been proven to be a real shiit to acquire i gotta say. Have got my voice back though :g

yeldar2097
29th June 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm still having issues getting 20+ seconds on event 5 (Checkpoint - LA Docks) in the 'City Slickers' box (2nd box :paperbag) on hard mode.

Medium and easy I can handle but Hard is giving me grief. Any tips?

Wotan
29th June 2010, 10:11 PM
Stop this boring campaign and come online to have fun :D

KIGO1987
29th June 2010, 10:38 PM
Just completed the last boss on medium. Was quite easy, never in my entire life i would expect the final boss of a car combat racing game to be driving in a bloody Vauxhall/Opel/Holden Astra, LOL!

Not all people on my friends list have completed all the campaign events i have noticed. There was only EPSLION, Pirhapac and Andy on my rivals list in the last events i have noticed when i completed them.

I sent a rival combat invite in one of the campaign boxes i got a high score on.... still yet to get a response....

Gaz and Wotan, we need to all get together and have a series of online races or something this weekend when we all have a good moment of free time, ill invite andy and pirhapac in the room, should be an absolute shiitfest of races.

Also have your headsets all turned on as well ;)

Anyone up for this this weekend?

yeldar2097
29th June 2010, 11:20 PM
Wowo I will come online when I am good enough to give you a challenge :banzai
:g

KIGO1987
30th June 2010, 11:21 AM
Christ almighty, all you bastards come online.

Might be racing online later on.

Pumpkin pubs you join too, same with you frogs as well. Ill PM you folks if i see you on the PSN at the same time as well, k.

ACE-FLO
30th June 2010, 12:18 PM
Kigo, mate you didn't have to go through that rigmarole :D In the game lobby, you can choose which racers you want to hear or which ones you wanna block ;) This way, they can "WHOOHOO" all they want and you won't hear it.

No need to go all Johnny Blaze on their asses :D except for on the track ofcourse.

Like in CTR "you bastard stole my box" XD LOL, one of the best call signs for that game...

Hmmm, it happens here in BLUR also, makes for a good reason to get that pick up before they do then scream out "Shunt The Funk Up!" ;) as you unleash the furious ball of fire to the next guy who is just about to scream out another "WHOOHOO" then as you go past, you nick their line and get the pick up they were aiming for, and reverse it :g :D Damn, I'm getting the feel for BLUR right now. Going online :D

yeldar2097
30th June 2010, 06:37 PM
Oioi, just had to download a patch (1.02) when I booted.

Probs somethin to do with the server issues and disconnections but I can't find any official info anyway so I can't be sure.

Patches are good though...oh wait, Pre 1.30 > all ;)

ACE-FLO
30th June 2010, 07:02 PM
strange... it didn't ask me to download a patch. Been playing it since 1pm today :?

Anyway, I didn't experience any lag or see anyone disconnect - played online for around 2 and half hours, brain melting stuff :g

KIGO1987
30th June 2010, 09:35 PM
Downloading patch 1.02. Must be an update that effects the shiitness of online play.

Going to do a bit of online in the game now.

AG-wolf
1st July 2010, 08:58 PM
Im playin right now with one of the Devs... 11 of the Bizarre team members are doing a community versus event and this one guy is covering a bunch of different questions.

I kinda wish I had started recording this lol

KIGO1987
1st July 2010, 11:15 PM
On the PSN right? Not on the other format AG-W?

Just on a different note, had quite a few online Blur races yesterday. There was these extremely funny races yesterday, this Irish guy and some Scottish guy from Edinburgh, oh god the sheer talk alone was just funny to listen too, and thats not including there swearing too. Never understand what the world "Gohan" meant. But it was the Irish guy saying, "go on" lol. wish i remembered his name want to talk to him. Smash something 1983 i remember.

I now also know the fastest Frenchman in the game is Wotan. :p Good races. Getting slowly to rank 50.

This game was a fantastic buy for $45 AUD :)

ACE-FLO
1st July 2010, 11:49 PM
i still havent been asked to DL the update for BLUR :lol

KIGO1987
2nd July 2010, 12:02 AM
I did the update 1.02 a few days ago now.

Maybe you already downloaded it Ace but you never actually took it into account Ace. Your have been quite stoned and in wonderland in recent weeks ive noticed.

AG-wolf
2nd July 2010, 02:44 AM
Kigo, come on now, who are you talking to here? ;P Besides, the "Game With Developers" is a weekly thing on Xbox Live, it's not exclusive to the game. Blur just happened to be one of the games they were doing this week... on top of that, my PS3 has been packed away in its box for at least a few months now, never to be touched until Sony stops removing OtherOS; and I'll be damned if I buy a SECOND ps3 just to play the one game I bought the initial console for.

It was relatively reassuring to [finally] hear input from the horse's mouth. It seemed like the guys at Bizarre were ignoring the f*ck out of everyone posting on their forums, but it's actually a case of bureaucratic bullsh*t because ANY post they may want to make has to be verified by both Activision and some PR department so that it can't be misconstrued or offend people, and it can't give out any private/inside information.

The upcoming patch is supposed to fix a number of things; from what I remember:

- fixes a bug where firing a nitro when you get hit with a shunt would send you backward
- fixes a number of network problems
- allows the dev team to adjust wall-riding speed penalties for C, B, and A class cars (previously was only D class)
- fixes a LOT of the glitches and stuff that people were exploiting to be cheap and raise their rank

and there were some other things it's supposed to fix.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as though they're going to change the Shunt and Bolt behavior... Before the game came out, 360 owners could sign up to try and be part of a multiplayer beta they had made... I got in on it very early-on, and then it eventually went public due to how much interest the game had.
Myself, and at least 6 of my regular friends all played the Beta almost religiously, we LOVED it. We all bought the final game, and some of the changes they made are just terrible compared to the Beta :/ I think the people who never played the Beta are lucky, because they don't know what they're missing.

But that's just a personal gripe.

They also told people to post on the forums with ideas, requests, problems, etc, because the more feedback they get, the more apt they'll be to implement stuff. Activision has been keeping them busy, and they've had to do a lot of testing to address some of the issues, so it's unfortunate that it's taken over a month for them to address anything at all, but at least it's a start. I still may sell my copy by the summer's end depending on what the status is.

ACE-FLO
2nd July 2010, 11:15 AM
What did they change from the BETA version, AG-WOLF? I mean, I play it and it seems pretty much poiished from where I'm sitting. No personal gripe here, but I didn't have the BETA verison so... Is it the SHUNT and BOLT weapons behaviour? If so - can you elaborate?

Either way, if you don't feel the game and feel cheated by the released version - sell it. Keeping hold of it is only serving to wind you up, and | don't blame you for feeling this way. I know how some BETA versions can seem to promise the world but only end up delivering half of it :? Frustrating at the very least - especially since you spent so much time on the BETA version, got asked for your opinions and ideas regarding the games development etc - only to find the released version is... well... diefferent.

FTR, I'm glad I didn't play the BETA, coz for me the released version is bad ass :)

@Kigo = yeah I'm a happy stoner :g but I gopt my wits about me, as you already know mate ;)

AG-wolf
2nd July 2010, 02:21 PM
Shunt:
Final - Shunt behavior is such that you either select a car in front of you before you fire (the little red reticle which appears around their car), or if you fire it blindly (no reticle) and it goes off on its merry way for whoever is next in line. They are almost entirely unavoidable without ruining your racing line for a quarter mile, or obviously having a weapon to counteract it or the ECM mod to make avoiding them easier

Beta - Shunts were dumb as hell. When fired, they locked onto other racers, but if their target was relatively far away, they'd usually plow into a corner or a divider as they traversed longer and longer distances over the track. If one was coming at you from behind, you could easily avoid it by swerving or using a nitro at the last minute, and it would just whiz past you or bash into the wall as you turned away from it.

Now, they did give people the ECM mod to make them easier to avoid... but that single mod alone doesn't do away with the five or six shunts I've repeatedly had chasing me in the final game... sure, you may avoid a couple, and even shield or destroy one or two others, but now that they follow you to the ends of the earth, I've been victim to a chain of them with no real recourse or way to avoid them at all.

It's fine and dandy for little Billy who's crying about never winning, but it basically castrates the people who know how to drive properly and even know how to defend themselves, because they're still screwed no matter what. I've noticed that shunts don't track you from directly behind in the final game either, so laying a mine when or firing rear attacks even when you're on a straight-away is less effective.

Bolts:
Final - pmpf pmpf pmpf, clank clank clank. You get hit with a bolt in the final game and your car jitters like Michael J Fox. Your racing line is destroyed, one side of your car is in the air, and you've dropped like 50 miles an hour.

Beta - They dealt less damage, they didn't jerk your car like a child on a leash about to run into traffic, and you weren't left reeling like you had a hangover afterward.

I loved the bolts the way they were... I used to antagonize the sh*t out of people with a couple sets, firing them off one at a time at key moments- just enough to scare them and wait until they made a mistake or wasted their shield so I could use a more detrimental weapon when their shield wore off. It was almost psychological warfare in a way lol :P The only time they were deliberately detrimental in the beta was if you did a chain of all three and connected each shot; but I honestly used them more for the sake of chipping away at a person's energy to try and wreck them, because they were such a direct and immediate attack.

In the final game, people just fire them off like they're a teenager looking at porn. They don't care who they hit. Or, little Billy fires them off immediately and d*cks me over, then drives straight into my car at the corner I'm now limping around because he can't drive.

Maybe they thought it would be better to increase the damage/effect of the weapon which requires the most skill to fire, but as a result people have become careless with it and it's just frustrating and insulting now. And that laser sight mod is kinda retarded.

Shield:
The main difference between the Beta and Final shields is actually tied to their mods. In the final game, there are a couple shild mods:
Efficiency - which makes the shield last longer and absorb more attacks (two shocks I believe)
weapon convert - If you get hit with a shunt while shielding, you receive a shunt item in your weapon bay.

In the beta, which is slowly becoming fuzzy in my memory now that they've taken it down, I don't recall if there was a mod to lengthen the time of the shield, but it was worthless because the weapon convert mod was AMAZING. Not only did it convert shunts, but bolts and barges too.

One of my most favorite moments was being able to hit people with their own weapons... in the final game, it's a shot in the dark because rear-shunting someone is always vague. But in the beta, rear bolts were a godsend (I have good aim); and shielding someone's barge around a strategic place (tight corners like in Tokyo Shutoko or cliff areas like that early spot in Barcelona Passeig de Gracia) was phenomenally satisfying... not only did their cheap trick not work out for them, I'd wait until we're pulling out of the turn or area and THEN I'd hit them, so I could easily pull away without losing momentum :)

Barge:
It was just more powerful in the Beta. If someone was f*cking with you, one barge would slap them across the face and leave them reeling. If you were stuck in a pack of stupid people, a barge would shove them all away and give you room to breathe.

In the final game, it's nearly worthless without the blast-radius mod, but if you use that mod, it means you can't select a more useful mod for that slot.

The weakened barge means you often have packs of stupid people screwing each other over while the pole positions slowly pull further and further away. It's insulting.

I think they pretty much left the other weapons alone... Lightning spawns a little more intelligently, Nitro is weaker, mines are still *ssholes, health is still fun to drop in front of someone you've just thoroughly decimated and then blown past :P

The other changes are things like sound effects... they changed a lot in the final game and it seems to take away from the atmosphere.

They tried to balance out the shortcuts by putting standing water (right-most path in LA Docks: Pacific Reach) or by shuffling the way power-ups spawned before/after a split in the track (the first two-path split in Tokyo Shutoko, after the toll booth). I don't have a real problem with this except that sometimes a Nitro will spawn on the shorter part of the track, and then it's just a case of being lucky enough to have a vehicle which won't be affected by water or terrain.

Motor mash: In the beta, you had FOUR MINUTES as opposed to the meager three they set in the final game. The additional minute meant that you had time to plot revenge, time to screw with a specific person, time to really bolster your score...

In the final game, it's a mindless free-for-all with people scrambling around to fire weapons as fast as possible. Sure that's kind of the idea of motor mash in the first place, but when you can't get much over 30 or 40 points because you've spent the entire time trying to stay still long enough to attack someone, it becomes really frustrating.

On top of that, they changed the HUD; in the Beta, you had the same list on the left as you have in regular races; 1st place, last place, and YOU, along with one person ahead of you and one person behind... I dunno about other people, but I used this list as a way to decide who I was going to attack. If I saw 1st or anyone with more points than me, I'd screw with them because it would delay them from getting more points and pulling further ahead on the scoreboard. You still had a Rival in the Beta, but you get a lower point bonus in the final game when you attack them. You also receive fewer points for bolt hits in the final game, and when the bolt is your Weapon Of Choice *raises hand* you don't get very far on the scoreboard.

There are still other things they've changed, but I don't recall them all at the moment, and I've got to try and track down $10,000 before the end of the business day today to cover the rest of my school tuition for the upcoming year >_<

I have a few videos of the Beta in its original form, but I don't have them uploaded at the moment. I DO have a bunch of videos I recorded of my friends and I playing when they made powerups spawn randomly; that caused a huge uproar, and we were gonna try to make a huge case for Bizarre to NOT do random powerups in the final game, but we never really followed-through with it afterward :P
http://www.youtube.com/user/blurcommentary
it's just a batch of videos of us discussing the game at that stage in its development; the random powerups made the game awful.
I'll try and round up the other videos I have of the beta when it had static powerups.

ACE-FLO
2nd July 2010, 04:08 PM
i only just got the update :D gonna check out if they changed anything later ;)

Harvai
4th July 2010, 05:23 AM
Beta - Shunts were dumb as hell. When fired, they locked onto other racers, but if their target was relatively far away, they'd usually plow into a corner or a divider as they traversed longer and longer distances over the track. If one was coming at you from behind, you could easily avoid it by swerving or using a nitro at the last minute, and it would just whiz past you or bash into the wall as you turned away from it.

I've noticed over the course of several games that shunts will often behave in this manner in the final game. They're most likely to lose track of you around tight corners. Sure, you still sometimes get quite a few on your tail, but if you're coming up to a tight twisty section of track you've still got a chance.
I'm also quite adept at blocking shunts with opponent cars :D

I also like using barges defensively, say if Leo Wanker hits me with a pickup and tries to blow past me, he'll more often than not find himself slammed against the side of the track instead!

ACE-FLO
6th July 2010, 12:31 PM
Since I updated, I've noticed the game running smoother. Not much else.

@Harvai :+ too damn skippy man :) that's the way to take 'em out :rock

KIGO1987
6th July 2010, 01:33 PM
Harvai and I are both Perth drivers, so we are both good at ramming other cars out of the way when it comes to when the traffic starts merging in one lane. :lol

Speaking about Blur, i have not been on the game since last thursday, i should have a pop on the game now. Get some more online rank as well as knock down some more trophys :)

Alot of folk from the Wipeout Universe have this game, i suggest the rest of you folk to get the game as well. it is quite intense and fun.

DreamyElf
6th July 2010, 02:22 PM
i'm still waiting my copy to arrive from UK, it's been 8 days now...
maybe i'll see some zoners online when it finally arrives!

ProblemSolver
8th July 2010, 11:51 PM
Has anyone read something along the lines like this;
Why Blur crashed and inevitably failed (http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?40978-Why-Blur-crashed-and-inevitably-failed)?

On the contrary; Activision: Blur was not a failure (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-blur-was-not-a-failure).

Anyway. What's up with the racing genre? Are we at an all time low
or are the devs heading in a wrong direction?

DreamyElf
12th July 2010, 11:51 AM
at last my copy of Blur arrived!:rock
took it 2 weeks to arrive! lol

so i played nonstop for 4 hours this morning. i passed the first boss and then i jumped to online!
i have to say that the game looks VERY addictive!
my first impressions:
+ i liked the NFS most wanted style requirements in career mode.
+ the game looks challenging and not easy, thats good.
- i would like to have my personal music-playlist.
- i think its embarrasing for a game in 2010 not to have the option to let me choose my button configuration,only 3 layouts so i used the 3rd...:frown:

that's for now, i'll play some more later!:hyper

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 12:04 PM
Its a really good game that is Wipeout inspired. I hope you enjoy it alot. Online is very good in the game, only thing the game doesnt have is custom audio soundtrack. Keep an eye on some of the Wipeout folk on this game as they congregate on this game online alot.

ACE-FLO
12th July 2010, 12:21 PM
Nice find PS. Made for apromising read, until the first link started to become repetitive (Why Blur crashed and inevtiably failed)... The comparisons to Mariokart were weak, and the game does bring something new and fresh to the table - yes it foes have its Unique Selling Point. And it is very obvious imo - the USP is real cars taking photo-realistic damage, on real road locations across the globe, with weapons dynamics thrown in" it's not MarioKart or NFS SHIFT... those titles have their USPs too.

As for the poor sales in the US - those stats only allowed for 5days of sales figures to be auduted, and not a whole month - so splitting hairs over sales figures was a weak argument imo.

Second Link : (Why BLUR was not a failure) attempted to negate the points bought up in the first link. Imo, whoever wrote that could have done a bettter job. The only part that wa convincing was the sales figures for the first months sales for BLUR (which were only 5 days instead of 30) - barring that, the author made no real convincing attempt to make a good case for BLUR. In fact, the Eurogamer link made a better case for why BLUR is a good game in the second paragraph, lol...

they mention that BLUR is a game which has Longevity, it's am arcade styled game (awesome) and can be played by the casual gamer as well the more hardcore gamer too...

Now guys, we come from a wipEout background - the tough futuristic racer, which most have little ability, or patience to learn - it's not an arcade type game either. It's hardcore. It doesn't appeal to the many, but to the select few - and has a following of hardcore wipEout fans from 15 years ago. For us, BLUR it will seem a lil arcade type, but that's part of the appeal, especially for me - who after a good old brain melting session online with wipEout, just wants to relax in a game where I cna take it a lil easier, and still come first if I'm lucky - whereass with wipEout, luck has nothing to do with it :D it's tough out there in the FX350 ;)

I think I might just have a session on BLUR a bit later on :) Need to unlock some more cars :g

EDIT: @ProblemSolver, your question "what's up with the racing genre? Are we at an all time low, are the devs heading in the wrong direction?", good question, here's my op. I dont' think the devs are heading in the wrong direction. What I think they are doing is taking educated guesses and experimenting, aiming to provide gamers with something new and fresh, but still works. And I use the term 'experiment' loosely, because with BLUR, what they did, was put the game up for BETA testing for quite a while. Hence the delay in its' release. The BETA testing process was done by gamers across various platforms. Thousands of gamers were involved, feeding their input back to Activision to help them to polish a title, which is new and entering an already saturated gaming genre (Racing).

Having said that, I do think that the racing genre can do with some real "experimenting". I would like to see a speed boat racing game, a really cool one, where you can maybe have a Batlle mode thrown in too - imagine firing off torpedoes at other speed boats, while your won is bouncing around over the waves like crazy? just taking aim would be hard as heck! Oooh, I wanna see a worthy speed boat racer - a futuristic one if possible, with maybe the James Bond speed boat thrown in as an unlockable :D IRacing on tarmac and dirt roads is still earth - give me something different! :)

UB3R~JKP
12th July 2010, 12:44 PM
Done some multiplayer at a friend's house this weekend (Hence why I was not on much ;)) And I had a great time. I like the fact that I can troll my friend at will by sitting at the back the whole race and then bursting through on the last lap and winning the race he led for the whole thing :D. It's fun with friends but I don't think the online multiplayer would interest me mainly because it's always funny to see the disbeleif in your compadre's face when you megatroll him at the finish line ;). The cars look good(at best) and well using up the PS3 processing power, Blur would have been on my "to buy" list nut Blazblue is just too fricken awesome and Outrun takes up my Arcade time with my GTForce Wheel :). MARK MY WORDS: I will opt for Blur...eventually, and I look forward to playing you all if does have the longevity you think it has :D

yeldar2097
12th July 2010, 12:55 PM
Major downside: It's too bloody hard -_-

Who doesn't like a challenge though :g

Seriously though, it's too hard :lol

ACE-FLO
12th July 2010, 01:02 PM
coming from you Yeldar, that's rich... real creamy and rich :lol sod off :D

yeldar2097
12th July 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm not kidding, the career on 'Hard' mode is harder than diamonds.

Still only about 20% through it. Destruction events and Time Trials are the bane of my Blur existence.

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 01:31 PM
Seriously i have no idea why are you slogging through the game on hard Gareth. Seriously its a bitch and a half plus more to pass hard mode events. Thumbs up for passing them though. I would go through about 50controllers before passing half of the hard mode events.

I know when i get my PS3 back that it'll be a bitch to get in front of you in online mode.

You still driving around in that pink car online? ;)

ACE-FLO
12th July 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm not kidding, the career on 'Hard' mode is harder than diamonds.

is it harder than your Boner? :D if not - then you can beat it :lol

yeldar2097
12th July 2010, 01:45 PM
Disgraceful :lol

Well I wouldn't bet on me finishing it, I'm only about 25% into it and it's well 'ard innit.

Yep, all my cars are bright pink. Maybe that's why I get shot so much :P

ACE-FLO
12th July 2010, 01:49 PM
Ah, Yeldy - I had Otaku G-Suits in PINK would you beleive? but i'm no longer allowed to advertise them here - I'm sure I can get one over to you if need be :D

If it's any consolation - I'm only on the third grid and am doing it on medium difficulty - I suck pretty bad at the game too. But it's just too damn much fun online isn't it? :D

yeldar2097
12th July 2010, 01:59 PM
Dunno really, I'e only done about 20 races online and have been getting too pwned to notice ^_^

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 02:06 PM
is it harder than your Boner? :D if not - then you can beat it :lol

Wouldnt your boner be quite withered away? :p

That happens with chain weed smokers right ace:lol :p

----

How much of the game have you passed on medium so far pumpkin nuts?

AG-wolf
12th July 2010, 02:10 PM
Try this mod combo:

Jump the Gun
Shielding Efficiency
Bribe

I used to use
Battering Ram
Adaptive Shielding
Bribe

but with the changes in the final game, I need to respawn faster from crashes, and the Adaptive shield only works on shunts now, so it's worthless... much better to simply have it last a lot longer.

I don't quite have the offensive edge that I used to maintain, but the better defense seems to help me not want to injure a small child anymore at least.

ACE-FLO
12th July 2010, 02:18 PM
LOL, Kigo, My boner cuts diamonds... need a diamond solitaire engagement ring? I'm the man to see :D I cut you one with 57 facets, V.V.S, Grade D - but you better have the loadsa cash ready! :D

AG-Wolf, thanks man, I'm gonna try that combo out asap! :+ +100

KIGO1987
12th July 2010, 02:45 PM
Post a pic of your boner thread i see coming :lol XD

Try this mod combo:

Jump the Gun
Shielding Efficiency
Bribe

I used to use
Battering Ram
Adaptive Shielding
Bribe

The last few times i played Blur before my PS3 crapped itself i did actually use the Battering Ram mod alot, massive shiitfest is caused if you select that mod, and use it in one of the 20player rooms with the lag fest, you'll be surprised how many people you can kill with this mod, increases the range of your repulsar weapon thing, i think its called barge, but its better for two things as well, you can use if more effectually over the standard barge weapon when you have a few bolts being shot up your arse as well as those red glowing things, you can launch your double powerful barge and the weapon that is being fired toward you can be taken out at a longer distance, perfect for online.

I havent tried this other options AG-Wolf has tried out, i am going to have to try this additional options when i get the PS3 back, give i havent damaged the BD drive when i had to get my Blur disc out.

DreamyElf
12th July 2010, 05:25 PM
i agree, the game is hard even on normal.
i play it on normal but i had to switch to easy to pass the 5th event on the 2nd boss( the TT in the shipyard), i tried 15 times on normal but couldnt pass it...:redface:
i guess i have to get used to the handling of each car.
only managed to get 1 win in 9 races online on the 1st noob event! lol
the problem is i'm so used to wipeout that i get into the corners very late and then i realise that there are no sideshifts here so the crash into the wall is inevitable!:lol
but it is a fun game, reminds me the good old times in the arcades!:D

G'Kyl
15th July 2010, 05:03 AM
Anyway. What's up with the racing genre? Are we at an all time low or are the devs heading in a wrong direction?

I only just read that line and just a note here: Yep, the racing genre has been on the decline for quite a while now. Sales-wise, that is. It's a niche, which is why developers try so hard to make racing games as much mass market as they can. Some fail, of course - and usually it's the good ones. :|

Ben

Darkdrium777
15th July 2010, 06:03 AM
So I downloaded the multiplayer demo the other day and had a go for three races. I almost won my first one too, it was funny because that guy behind me was like "OH MY GOD HOW DOES HE DODGE EVERYTHING" all the time :g

But yeah this game is not for me. It looks really nice, but that's about it. Power up spam is just too much and frustrating honestly. Like in the two races after the first, lightning spam. Okay I can dodge the three spikes (and make that guy scream) but I cannot dodge nine that's impossible and really cheap. Shields don't even last the damage of one spike.

I came in second on the first race, he passed me at the very end.

So yeah, nice looking game, but spam is spam, no matter how pretty it looks. Sorry guys. :/

G'Kyl
15th July 2010, 09:09 AM
Like in the two races after the first, lightning spam. Okay I can dodge the three spikes (and make that guy scream) but I cannot dodge nine

But you can. ;) Mostly anyway. Complaining about Blur being unfair and too difficult is like complaining about WipEout being unfair and too difficult. It takes a while to get into, yep, but that while pays off with a game for skilled drivers - good driving physics and tactical power-ups included. Practice is as much the magic word as it is for WO, trust me.

Ben

ProblemSolver
17th July 2010, 11:10 PM
... Having said that, I do think that the racing genre can do with some real "experimenting". I would like to see a speed boat racing game, a really cool one, where you can maybe have a Batlle mode thrown in too - imagine firing off torpedoes at other speed boats, while your won is bouncing around over the waves like crazy? just taking aim would be hard as heck! Oooh, I wanna see a worthy speed boat racer - a futuristic one if possible, ...
You won't believe it but I already thought about to integrate water into a
possible next Wipeout game. Parts of the track may lead over the sea (mind
you that the sea won't be at rest ;)). Breaking into the sea should also
be possible. Done right it could add something new to the game. :D

Dan Locke
18th July 2010, 08:02 PM
Having said that, I do think that the racing genre can do with some real "experimenting". I would like to see a speed boat racing game, a really cool one, where you can maybe have a Batlle mode thrown in too - imagine firing off torpedoes at other speed boats, while your won is bouncing around over the waves like crazy? just taking aim would be hard as heck! Oooh, I wanna see a worthy speed boat racer - a futuristic one if possible, with maybe the James Bond speed boat thrown in as an unlockable :D IRacing on tarmac and dirt roads is still earth - give me something different! :)
And Hydro Thunder doesn't count? I played that one at the mall whenever I could back when I was a kid.

AG-wolf
19th July 2010, 09:23 PM
There's a new Hydro Thunder game coming out this summer, I saw an ad for it when I was watching a video on my 360 (dunno if it will see a PSN release)... I loved the sh*t out of the two arcade ones, even though I was never really good :P

JABBERJAW
20th July 2010, 03:43 AM
Is the new hydrothunder being made by the same programmer? I doubt it, though it could still be good. I loved this game as well, played it with a negcon the other day :) EA bought alot of midways stuff. FUTURE: Ea wrecked alot of midway's stuff. There is no way in hell they will program like Mark Turmell, based on their similar game attempts.

I need to try that blur demo as well, probably get pissed and never play again.

Danterich
20th July 2010, 11:08 AM
I just had a nice testing session of the PS3-version( the demo), and i must say i love it:+
Must defenitly change my XBOX360-version for the full PS3 one, to race with you zoners ftw:hyper

SaturnReturn
20th July 2010, 05:47 PM
I tried the multiplayer demo but I just didn't really see any depth in it beyond learning the tracks. I was initially really happy to hear Qemists when I started it up, but after a few races it really fell flat.

For those how love it - where does the depth/longevity come from in the full game once you know you way around the tracks? If that's already been answered then ignore me/tell me and I'll read back over the thread later, once I get the chance.

DreamyElf
20th July 2010, 08:05 PM
after my initial enthusiasm about Blur, i have to admit that now i'm a little bored with it...
i don't know why.
perhaps is the repetitive career objectives or maybe the fact that i play it online with strangers and not friends...
or i like wipeout so much that i cant play another game! lol
seriously though the online mode is very deep and rewarding, like call of duty's 4 challenges, but the shunts(missile-plasmas) are really annoying and ruin it for me...

Temet
21st July 2010, 07:01 AM
i agree, the game is hard even on normal.

Agreed also!!!
I always like to complete career/campaign modes in games... the ideas are not bad but the objectives are way too hard to complete !!!!
Seriously, "Arcade Perfect" trophy and Elite Campaign on WO are like a baby joke compared to Blur career in normal difficulty in that game!
This is the main drawback of the game... yesterday evening I had time to play, but didn't do it because I didn't have the courage to face the difficulty of the game.

For me, in "normal difficulty", you don't have to struggle to win... this is for "hard difficulty".
Destruction races are incredibly hard ...

PS : it's not hard if you don't try to complete all the objectives... If you just want to unlock the tracks and beat the bosses, it's ok.
I WANT to complete all the objectives :g (currently done on the 2 first parts)
And I can't switch to easy mode, it's forbidden by my religion :g

DreamyElf
21st July 2010, 07:18 AM
i never play games on easy but i switched it to easy after the 3rd boss.
the game is very frustrating on normal.
it's even harder than playing wipeout for the first time on elite...
with that said, after i finish the game on easy i'll try to beat it in higher difficulty.

online is also very hard. i only managed get 4 wins in about 50 races...:bomb
or maybe i'm just rubbish at this game...!:brickwall

Temet
23rd July 2010, 09:59 AM
Ok, I want to temper my previous post.
Currently, I'm finishing the campaign but with lighter objectives : I unlock the bosses and beat them. For this, it's quite easy...

It's hard only if you want to get ALL the lights... and of course, I want... but later :)

I bought a bluetooth headset, I'm now ready for online slaughter :)

KIGO1987
23rd July 2010, 10:15 AM
I bought a bluetooth headset, I'm now ready for online slaughter :)

You should of been in the room Ace, Yeldar and I where in last night. Ace and I both had headsets on us. Im going to invite you into the room if you are during the same time as us tonight.

Temet
23rd July 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure I can understand english from english-native speakers good enough for this unfortunately :brickwall
... or you'll have to make efforts : don't speak too fast or use strange expressions ;)

yeldar2097
23rd July 2010, 01:09 PM
Or I can translate and you can laugh at my french :g

I managed to get a top 10 time yesterday. Really confused as to how it happened because I can barely pass a lot of the events on Hard mode, let alone get all 5 lights.

Has anyone got any tips for the 2nd (or 3rd, can't remember) Campaign box where you have to do a checkpoint in LA Docks or wherever it is. Class C I believe. Absolutely no clue how to it :paperbag

ACE-FLO
23rd July 2010, 01:11 PM
Lol Temet, here is some English from an Indian person. Maybe my explanation will be easier to understand (though Kigo's was fine :?).

Hello Temet. It's good to know you are playing online and have purchased a headset. Would you like to play BLUR with Kigo and myself? the next time we play, we can invite you in the game. It's much better than playing with strangers, because we can talk with eachother during the races - and not with random strangers instead.

See ya :)

yeldar2097
23rd July 2010, 01:29 PM
Lol, he understood the post, it's the headset voice wotsit he's talking about.

I know what he means though, someone like Kigo is impossible to understand, it's all nonsense and gibberish :P

*runs and hides* :lol

Nah just kidding. I'm sure you'll be fine Tem, from what I've seen here and on WA your English is better than my French so it's all good :+

Ooh now that there's some more players we should have a massive game sometime. I know Asayyeah has the game too so we can invite him along as well ^^

KIGO1987
23rd July 2010, 01:39 PM
Shut up Yeldar you have red pubic hair :P XD

I saw your challenge of yours you sent me. :).... bastard

I'm not sure I can understand english from english-native speakers good enough for this unfortunately :brickwall
... or you'll have to make efforts : don't speak too fast or use strange expressions ;)

It means join the room that Ace, Yeldar and I are in. and dont pull a Pirhapac either... :lol (leave the room after losing one race). Im going to send an invite if i see you online the same time as I.

You cool with that Temet?

Wotan
23rd July 2010, 03:43 PM
I want to play with temet too :mr-t

kaori
23rd July 2010, 03:48 PM
Me too, but with an other game than this Blurk ^^

Temet
23rd July 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, of course I'm cool with racing with all of you! But I didn't start online racing yet :)

Rapier Racer
23rd July 2010, 06:07 PM
Blur is awesome online :cowboy

Colonel
26th July 2010, 04:22 PM
I bought Blur a few weeks back, I was genuinely excited about it, thinking it would be Wipeout with cars. In hindsight that was incredibly naive, after a few games it seemed more like Need For Speed with weapons. It made me realise I'm not a fan of arcade racers, shame really but it just bores me, racing sims such as Wipeout, Gran Turismo and Colin McCrae are infinitely more satisfying.

Like I say it is a shame because I'd like another game to play, Wipeout HD has frankly taken over my life and my girlfriend is starting to resent it!

Harvai
27th July 2010, 09:40 AM
Has anyone got any tips for the 2nd (or 3rd, can't remember) Campaign box where you have to do a checkpoint in LA Docks or wherever it is. Class C I believe. Absolutely no clue how to it :paperbag

I'd pick a Drifty car if you haven't already tried one. Those long sweeping corners (I think that'd the track you're talking about) can be a bit tricky for Grippy/V-Grippy cars. Also, don't pick a Very Drifty car, you'll be fishtailing something fierce!

The stopwatch pickups can be a godsend, but don't go out of your way to get them if they're off the racing line, sometimes you'll lose more time than you gain by picking one up. Hope these help.

Goddamn what is up with the final tier of events? Never knew the bosses were so accurate with reverse bolts! I'm having to forgo the Fan Runs just to place, let alone win the race for the boss demands! Bloody hell!

KIGO1987
27th July 2010, 10:08 AM
Do you have the PS3 version of this game Harvai?

Should race sometime:)

Rapier Racer
27th July 2010, 10:53 PM
Incase anyone doesn't know you can fulfill the main race objective first (finish in the top 3, X number of points etc) then go back and get the fan run and number of fans lights, you get them regardless of whether you meet the main goal or not. (Assuming you've achieved it already)

yeldar2097
30th July 2010, 12:29 AM
My first Blur vid and first Blur WR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnMt3m3Iiu8

Yes I know nobody does the offline stuff but whatever, I'm still happy with it ^_^

Harvai
31st July 2010, 06:16 AM
That's not a bad vid, yeldar! Personally, I'm horrible at that track. Too many 90* corners for my liking, but still, nice one!

Effedieffe
31st July 2010, 09:27 AM
Incase anyone doesn't know you can fulfill the main race objective first (finish in the top 3, X number of points etc) then go back and get the fan run and number of fans lights, you get them regardless of whether you meet the main goal or not. (Assuming you've achieved it already)

This is no really true, you have at least to finish third and you'll get the fan run and number of fans lights preserving the five lights of the main objective (if you've achieved it already). If you finish fourth, no way, you have to retry.

@yeldar Thanks for your vid :+, after viewing it I easily obtained full lights in the Midas Touch third checkpoint.

yeldar2097
31st July 2010, 11:25 AM
No problem. I've managed to eat hard mode so if anyone wants any other vids I'd be willing to help ^_^

DeepMix
1st August 2010, 04:45 AM
well i bought this awesome game, i knew it was awesome after i tried the demo lol

my copy of blur should be arriving in a couple of days :) looking forward to race with some of you guys like yel,andy & kigo... unfornately i dont have anyone else from the forum who has blur

Temet
1st August 2010, 09:43 AM
@Yeye : you won the 5 lights on hard mode for all tracks? Desctructions included?
Personnally, I just finished yesterday evening to get the 450 lights in normal mode ... the hard part was to get the fans target... especially for the checkpoints of Haruna mountains, I finally switched it to easy to use a drifty car and drift everywhere during the race... Getting the 5 main lights in normal is not very hard, it's getting the amount of needed fans that is sometimes hard on destructions, and cursed Haruna ;)

Now, online waits for me :)

yeldar2097
1st August 2010, 10:48 AM
I haven't completed campaign 100% yet but I just have some tidying up to do here and there and then I will. Yeah some of the fan targets are VERY hard. Mega drift-ram-lightning dodge-reverse longshot-fully bolted combo ftw. Now I just need to pull it off :lol

Temet
1st August 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm pleased to know I don't have to take care for fans targets never ever again :rock

yeldar2097
1st August 2010, 01:24 PM
You're a very luck guy Temet, I still have to get some of them. Erg :blarg

Silly fans, they're so difficult to please.

Temet
1st August 2010, 02:03 PM
Good luck for Haruna mountain checkpoints... as I said, I had to switch to easy for this :(

Harvai
2nd August 2010, 09:31 AM
Man, Mt Haruna never comes up when I'm playing multiplayer. It's always oval tracks with Nirto pickups everywhere...

Temet
2nd August 2010, 10:03 AM
I didn't play a lot online yet... I'm level 11 I think.
It's strange, I think I'm definitely not an online player... after a few races I want to do something else... too much waiting online maybe :)
But unlike WO, I'm not always last... I even won 5 or 6 times over my ~20 races :)
I got 3 rewards in the same race, new feeling to be happy online :)
That's nice not to always lose and spending time avoiding mines and bombs, a bit of fresh air :)

yeldar2097
2nd August 2010, 11:16 AM
Lol Tem, we are definately playing online then: I have about 60 races and ~5 wins :paperbag

Online = massive fail for me. Ask Pirhapac and Wotan, they'll agree with me :nod

I think EPSiLON is thinking of arranging some kind of online shindig at some stage, would be good to get lots of people in.

I did the Haruna (including fans) on Hard yesterday. I'm still 9 seconds away from the top of the leaderboards but I'll try again soon ^_^

Temet
2nd August 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm playing online in "general room", not private rooms with killers like Wotan, that explains my wins!
The funniest win was in class A... I was obviously the only one online who completed the offline campaign and I had a MASSIVE advantage with Shannon's car... the poor guys could only cry seeing my car driving far far away few seconds after the beginning of the race :rock

Buddy, please, I hate you even more with you Haruna hard with fans target achieved... please, next time, make a vid... even if I will again hate you more and more :lol

yeldar2097
2nd August 2010, 12:36 PM
I have never played in a private room.

I'm not built for general rooms it seems. "What?! There are other people on the track!? Not just me?! Ahhh panic!!!!"

It goes a bit like that every time :P

I'll make a vid of Haruna soon...after I have figured out how to get a bit closer to the leaders :banzai

Aeroracer
2nd August 2010, 02:11 PM
is blur a good game..is it worth buying...

Temet
2nd August 2010, 03:15 PM
I think there is an online Demo on the PSN (not 100% sure).
Maybe you can have a look and then give it a try ;)

PS : if you try the demo, try every weapon backward... even boost can be used backward (shields and lightnings cannot).

It's fun :)

EDIT : and quite cheap on amazon.co.uk

yeldar2097
3rd August 2010, 09:37 AM
Mount Haruna - Checkpoint - Hard - 00'33"58 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQM-1DTPh4)

Here you go Tem :)

Temet
3rd August 2010, 10:32 AM
Can't see it now, I have to wait tonight ... :brickwall

Aeroracer
3rd August 2010, 12:16 PM
Thankyou...i will try it...

zeeZ
4th August 2010, 03:41 PM
Dunno if that's been posted somewhere yet (and I'm too lazy to look around because I just got up), but if you're from selected parts of Europe you can win a 125i BMW by reaching level 5 in the Demo (http://uk.playstation.com/psn/competitions/detail/item294950/Win-a-125i-BMW-Performance!/)! Note the start times in their rules and that you give them permission to photograph, film and record you during your attendance and during your interview

I'll try this supposedly mario kart with cars this evening, but I have no plans (or money reserves) to buy it.

Also on the Mount Haruna video... This video contains content from WMG. It is no longer available in your country.

Temet
5th August 2010, 08:30 AM
Yesterday I had the honor and joy to play online with Asayyeah, and then some friends of him and friends of friends, all with headsets!
This was awesome. I'm not so much an online player but playing in these conditions is wonderful :)

zeeZ
5th August 2010, 11:32 AM
I was racing against someone who apparently had his french little brother in the room, was quite noisy, but also way better than wohd voice

Temet
5th August 2010, 11:38 AM
That was his kid :)
You can mute the people by pressing the cross if you don't want to hear them ;) (i did it)

RJ O'Connell
6th August 2010, 05:49 AM
Game's been good so far, I really hope they can address some of the issues in a sequel.

First off, the online system's a mess. It's all random matchmaking, just like Forza 3, and - at least on Xbox Live - you can have an entire room of 19 people all quit a race at once for no reason. Levels 11 through about 30 can feel like a constant uphill climb online because you pretty much race all the guys with all the best cars and mods while you're still grinding for anything decent. Drifting feels slow, really slow, there's no benefit in going sideways at all and by extension there's no point in picking a Drifty car unless you can control it well.

Other than that, it's a good game. A bit better than Split/Second in my opinion, but it's got nothing on ModNation Racers or Hydro Thunder Hurricane in its current state.

Temet
10th August 2010, 07:35 AM
Excuse me for this message but this one is important for me.

I discussed with someone yesterday who informed me that a message from me here has been "badly seen".
The sentence is this one :

I'm playing online in "general room", not private rooms with killers like Wotan, that explains my wins!

Some may have understood : "Some players like Wotan are playing in private room to increase their number of victory".

That was absolutely not the meaning of my sentence!

I was saying Yeldar : "If I got so many wins during my first session, it's because I was not playing against killers-like-Wotan in private room".

Now I know the online better, I admit the misunderstanding is possible. I explain : when you play online the first time, you choose the type of race you want to do and you enter automaticaly in a room. You can't select the room as in WOHD. So I thought : "Oh OK, to play with friends you have to play in private rooms". Of course, now I know I can press "select" and join friends in their sessions... but on first night I didn't know.

Sorry for being off topic, but this clarification is meaningful for me.

Personal thinking : don't see evil everywhere ;)

stin
13th September 2010, 07:58 AM
You know, Blur are the best game I`ve played for a while and I love it!

I didn`t realised, this game is still addictive as ever!!!

MetaKraken
13th September 2010, 07:13 PM
Well, Blur is a great game. The only thing that disappoints me are the lack of MT option and the custom soundtracks :(.

Temet
13th January 2011, 08:30 PM
Hey guys !!!
Probably most of you won't even read this post, but I really want to share will you my great joy for my first (and probably last) world record in a racing game!!!!
Sorry for the terrible quality, my stupid cam doesn't understand that a screen is really bright in a dark room :blarg : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdNzlbexLc

A bit of history : a colleague of mine, who had Blur on xbox, bought a PS3 (GT5...) and bought Blur again.
This week, we started to challenge on the track... I had 2 seconds of margin to gold medal only.
Yesterday, he wrote me : "Don't turn on your PS3, you'll cry"... he had 18 seconds of margin.
Tonight, I have 30 seconds of margin, 4 seconds before the 2nd in the ranking.

I'm sooooo happy !!!! (that I had to cut the sound at the end of the vid lol)

SaturnReturn
13th January 2011, 09:01 PM
Congrats Temet - It's nice to be the best in the world at something, even just for a moment.:) Hopefully with a margin like that yours will last some time.

MENGKESHI
13th January 2011, 09:10 PM
Congratulations bro!

stin
13th January 2011, 09:28 PM
Congrats temet!!!:D

My eyes is too blurry for me :P

Temet
13th January 2011, 10:01 PM
Oh, thanks a lot guys!
Yeah Sat, I never expected this to happen... or I would have switched on the lights for the camera to record well... this would have been "my precccciiouusss" ;)
It's not obvious but it's D-Category... the slowest class in the game :g

UB3R~JKP
14th January 2011, 12:11 PM
Yay! BLUR Thread revived ;)
Been addicted to this again...man what a bloody game!