PDA

View Full Version : Freeware WipEout clone: G-Speed

XpanDrome2097
23rd February 2010, 02:29 PM
I don't know if this is the right section to post this, but I've found this game tonight...and it's a great game indeed!
G-Speed is a freeware game created by an italian guy (for info, for who knows a bit of italian language: http://www.idealsoftblog.it/2009/06/g-speed-15-quando-wipeout-si-gioca.html), and is a good WipEout/F-Zero clone, without any price to pay: the gameplay is fine and the soundtrcak is great (created by the professional musician DiRodrigues).
This game is absolutely pretty, is completely freeware, downloadable from this site (I recommend the version 1.5, that is more performant, with extra tracks and extra ships):

http://www.maskedbear.com/gspeed.html

Enjoy ;):rock!

Dan Locke
24th February 2010, 10:21 PM
Are you kidding? That game is garbage! The graphics are disgusting, the controls are a joke, the menus are eye-rapingly hideous, and the engine feels like it was programmed by a 12-year-old.

If you want to play a futuristic racing game on your PC, get AceSpeeder 2 (http://raingraph.com/acespeeder2) - it isn't free, but it's a very good game.

Or you could just get the PC versions of the Wipeout games.

Or emulate the console versions.

But G-Speed? Pass.

XpanDrome2097
25th February 2010, 08:37 AM
Dan Locke, remember that freeware games, often, are only home-made games by no-professional designers...and if you see this game under this point of view, this game is more better that other disgusting freeware games :):g.
But the game in your link isn't freeware...and for this is imperatively better ;).

drell
25th February 2010, 06:51 PM
I tried. It was bad.

Dan Locke
27th February 2010, 04:56 PM
Dan Locke, remember that freeware games, often, are only home-made games by no-professional designers...and if you see this game under this point of view, this game is more better that other disgusting freeware games :):g.
Wha..? You don't need a massive budget and a huge development team to make a good game; you just need competence. Play Cave Story, or The Marionette, or Iji, or White Butterfly, or Dwarf Fortress, or TORCS, or The Spirit Engine 2, or Sauerbraten, or any of the hundreds - if not thousands - of GOOD freeware games (yes, indeed, often made at home by "no-professional designers" - whatever that's supposed to mean) before you trash something for not requiring you to pay for it. By the way, AceSpeeder 2 was made by one man, at home. And then you have other small, independent developers like Bit Blot and Chronic Logic, which consist of small teams of a few ordinary people, and they turn out games like Aquaria and Gish - games good enough that their developers sell them for twenty or thirty dollars.

Indie developers are awesome; don't denigrate them like that.

But the game in your link isn't freeware...and for this is imperatively better ;).
Yes, because a game can be either free or good. It's impossible for it to be both or neither.

Right...

Medusa
28th February 2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the link Xpandrome2097! Although I didn't get the game working on my PC, I at least got the tunes in lovely WAV format.
Good tunes for free, what's not to like? :beer I don't even care that the game doesn't work atm. Too busy listening.

XpanDrome2097
28th February 2010, 12:05 PM
ù
Indie developers are awesome; don't denigrate them like that.

I don't have any intention to denigrate anyone ;)!

Medusa, thanks!
If you download this game to obtain new free tunes...mmmhh, I think that this is the best use for this game :g.

Dan Locke
28th February 2010, 02:19 PM
I don't have any intention to denigrate anyone ;)!
Then what was all that about them being "no-professional designers" and making "disgusting" games? And what did you mean when you said that a $20.00 game is "imperatively better" than a free one?

Medusa
28th February 2010, 05:03 PM
Xpandrome said "often". Qualifying words are very important. And there are a lot of disgusting freeware games, where is the argument there? There are a lot of disgusting games we pay for too. It's down to opinion no matter what.
Besides, who really cares? Link to free game is posted, thanks or no thanks, the end.

Be careful Xpandrome2097, everything you post can and will be held against you. :rolleyes:

Dan Locke
28th February 2010, 07:04 PM
Xpandrome said "often". Qualifying words are very important. And there are a lot of disgusting freeware games, where is the argument there? There are a lot of disgusting games we pay for too. It's down to opinion no matter what.
He said that it was a bad game, but good by freeware and indie standards. Which speaks volumes about his opinion of indie developers.

infoxicated
28th February 2010, 07:54 PM
And you're either reading far too much into what he said or over reacting.

I suspect the latter.

SaturnReturn
28th February 2010, 08:16 PM
I've tried it. I like seeing certain ideas implemented. Being able to customise the weapons set is something I like about it, as it allows people to try different tactics and race in different ways. It adds another dimension and takes most of the random aspect out of things.

It seems like a bunch of ideas that someone who is a fan of WipEout has taken and put together, probably without much experience, for the purposes of completing a project for their own satisfaction, and has later shared via the internet. If that's the case then I think it serves its purpose, even if the end result isn't all that great and won't draw me away from WipEout games for more than a few minutes.

Dan Locke
28th February 2010, 08:25 PM
And you're either reading far too much into what he said
Ahem,

In other words, "Dan, the problem is that you're expecting it to be good. Remember, it's freeware, and freeware games are disgusting and bad. The game that you linked to costs money, and therefore isn't freeware, so it's better by definition."

or over reacting.
That's probably the case. I'm very close to the indie development scene; seeing somebody trash indie developers like that makes my blood boil, especially when they hold up garbage like G-Speed as the standard of quality for indie games.

I suspect the latter.
You're perceptive.

XpanDrome2097
1st March 2010, 10:12 PM
He said that it was a bad game, but good by freeware and indie standards. Which speaks volumes about his opinion of indie developers.

What?
Are you sure?
Now you gotta link me a post in this thread when I've said:

"All the freeware games sucks!"

"Indie developers go ahead!"

Or posts similar, but I believe that you can't find nothing.
I like this game, is cute but I know that a lot of better games, freeware or not, are still available...the real meaning of my words was completely distorted, but am sure that your problems of comprehension about my posts comes from my bad english ;)!
Dear Dan Locke, there's a lot of disgusting freeware games available, and also a lot af amazing freeware games, just this.
This is the same for all the games that we buy in the game stores...
I don't have a bad idea about freeware games, but sometimes a lot of freeware games are a crap, and this also counts for every game that we pay, for consoles or not (I remember "The Crow: City of Angels" or "Bubsy 3-D" for PSX...BRRR!)...all is relative!
Enjoy!

At the end, am sorry, but I can't confirm your distorted interpretation of my words: I don't have a bad idea about indie developers, probably the opposite.
I believe in the creative force of indie developers, don't be angry about this!

Now can we return to talk about this game, please :D?
A bit of time ago I've posted a freeware game, that can be likeable or not, only this...

Dan Locke
2nd March 2010, 02:58 AM
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. We're in complete agreement, then.

Back on-topic: Temporal Power Racing (https://digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=434) is a very good student-developed game that combines the original F-Zero's hockey-puck physics with Ikaruga's color-changing mechanic. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it works surprisingly well.

Alex2097
16th March 2010, 06:32 PM
First of all, let me introduce myself: I am Alex, the creator of the G-Speed game.

I'd like to thank XpanDrome2097 for posting my game and for finding it of some interest.
I've read a lot of bad words about my game from other posts, and I want to give clarity.

First, I'm a huge Wipeout fan, I played all of its incarnations, from Wipeout to Wipeout 2097
to the recent and fantastic Wipeout HD. I even bought a used Nintendo64 ONLY to play Wipeout64!!!
In time I created on my PC some 3d ship models inspired on the Wipeout series, plus I had
some gameplay ideas and concepts I would have liked to see in the game, such as the armours,
the customizable weapons and ships settings.
So, since I had a little spare time and some programming skills I started to create G-Speed
using an old 3d engine named DarkBasic Classic.
Over some time I created the game engine, the AI (and I REALLY don't think a 12 year old
could make an AI like this, dear Dan Locke ;) have you even TRIED the game beyond the poor
graphics?) the gameplay the circuits and the graphics. I put all together and the result was
not so bad in my opinion.
Yes, the graphics are poor, the controls are a bit woody, but I put a lot of heart into this game
and i think anyone can see this. There are some ideas that are really good IMO and the gameplay
is not so bad.
Plus, the great Indie musician DiRodrigues was so kind to compose for free some great tracks
especially for this game, music that I think is as good as the original Wipeout tunes.
BTW he composed them because he tought the game was good.

So, you can like the game or not, of course, you can say it's good or bad, you can say
the graphics sucks, but you CANNOT SAY it's garbage, since this is an offence to
someone who loved the Wipeout series and only wanted to give FOR FREE his programming
efforts as a gift to the community.

It's like when you go to dinner to someone's home, his meal is not excellent but is decent
and he offered it to you for free and with kindness, and you say "well, it's garbage,
since at the restaurant I eat a lot better and my cousin's wife makes a better dinner".
It's not so kind, isn't it?

So, here is my game G-Speed, a FREE game, if you like it good, if you don't like it good.
No offence taken, okay? ;) :)

drell
16th March 2010, 08:07 PM
Alex, I must be clear since I only gave three words for your game.

I tried your game. The music was good, but the rest not as good as I was led to believe from the presentation by XpanDrome2097. Which was supposed a good Wipeout clone.
I found the controls to be very bad and make the game unplayable unless you take a high handling ship which makes it barely playable. And the menu are all over the place and hurt the eyes. I say second best point are graphics, you did try to make tracks with unique sections on each, instead of bland sections all over, and that is good; but it still looks dated. Overall not what I expected, and unfortunately did not feel like Wipeout to me.
But the thought counts the most in my opinion. If I had abilities to create a game, Wipeout would probably be one of the first that I make or try to make. So congratulations on that.

Z°ⁿε
17th March 2010, 04:15 AM
Too funny.

Alex2097
17th March 2010, 02:35 PM
Alex, I must be clear since I only gave three words for your game.

I tried your game. The music was good, but the rest not as good as I was led to believe from the presentation by XpanDrome2097. Which was supposed a good Wipeout clone.
I found the controls to be very bad and make the game unplayable unless you take a high handling ship which makes it barely playable. And the menu are all over the place and hurt the eyes. I say second best point are graphics, you did try to make tracks with unique sections on each, instead of bland sections all over, and that is good; but it still looks dated. Overall not what I expected, and unfortunately did not feel like Wipeout to me.
But the thought counts the most in my opinion. If I had abilities to create a game, Wipeout would probably be one of the first that I make or try to make. So congratulations on that.

Thank you for your comments, drell. This is the kind of constructive critics I like to read. ;)

Too funny.

What should this mean? Boh.