PDA

View Full Version : Watch any good films lately??

Pages : [1] 2

OBH
12th February 2010, 12:24 PM
Ive recently got into a great Monday night routine of a pub quiz, then beer and a film at mine! And was mainly wondering if any of you guys know any awesome films that i should get my hands on?? :)

Last 2 films Ive seen are The Boat That Rocked (very few films have made me grin so much from start to finish! fantastic film), and The Little Shop of Horrors (an absolute CLASSIC!! and the my favourite childhood film :beer)

Been looking to pick up Scum and Gangster No.1 seeing as i know no one thats seen either film, but alas, am struggling to find either.

Dan Locke
12th February 2010, 01:36 PM
No, but I saw Spaceballs. Massively overrated.

TorquedSoul
12th February 2010, 01:39 PM
I've got gangster no. 1 in my netflix queue but I haven't watched it yet. Scum looks interesting, I'll have to check that one out as well.

I'll recommend two movies for pure entertainment value:
1) The Machine Girl. Its a Japanese ripoff of Tarantino's ripoff of the Japanese cinema. Despite all its production flaws ... its still very entertaining if you like over the top gorefest. Its a bit like Kill Bill vol. 1 on steroids.

2) The Host. Korean Horror movie. Its a cross between Jaws and Godzilla. Crazy mutated land-walking fish terrorizes river community.

KGB
12th February 2010, 01:55 PM
Been looking to pick up Scum and Gangster No.1 seeing as i know no one thats seen either film, but alas, am struggling to find either.

Two great films Haydn. I managed to get a DVD of Scum for £2 from Zavvi a bit ago. "I'M THE DADDY NOW". Classic

Watched Zodiac by David Fincher last week. Very Good.

ACE-FLO
12th February 2010, 02:11 PM
love SHAW BROS movies? I picked up an absolutely stonking classic this week. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin... bwoy, they sure don't make 'em like that anymore... one for the popcorn most def :g Starring Gordon Liu (in his prime) the same guy who played Pai Mei in KILL BILL vol.2

OBH
12th February 2010, 02:31 PM
Oooooh some totally unknowns there for me! Never heard of Zodiac or The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Im getting addicted to popping into CEX and buying 2nd hand films for under £2! Will have to havea look see.

its still very entertaining if you like over the top gorefest.
If you like over the top gorefest you seen Braindead? :) Bought that classic for £1!! Ive never seen so much blood in a film! Has a scene where he takes out a room full of zombies with his lawnmower, legendary scene.

Planet Terror by Robert Rodriguez is a brilliant not-to-be-taken seriously film too.

TheFrostE
12th February 2010, 06:05 PM
me and my girlfriend are fans of watching terrible B-rated horror movies on Cox On-Demand on the FearNet channel...theres some hilarious movies on there, just the other night we watched one called "The Dentist" . ROFL classic 80s horror, you'll never go to the dentist again!!!!!

drell
12th February 2010, 07:13 PM
Then watch Silent Night Deadly Night 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGcP2EkHdQ) :P
You will be scarred of Christmas (Yes, there are two r)

Hellfire_WZ
12th February 2010, 07:54 PM
Hard to believe the man behind the Lord of the Rings films started out with films like Braindead ;)

Recently watched Army of Darkness again. Bloody funny film :) Quite a change when you consider the original Evil Dead films were banned here for a while!

AG-wolf
13th February 2010, 11:58 PM
Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - lots of fun

Star Trek (the 2009 one) - awesome... damnit I wanna watch it again now lol

I don't think I've seen any other "new" movies recently... Disney's Up was cute, but that's kinda old now.

SaturnReturn
14th February 2010, 09:54 PM
Watching Apocalypto right now - seems interesting.

Watched The Devil Wears Prada the other day. Yes you did read that right, and yes it was rubbish.:-

KGB
14th February 2010, 10:20 PM
Just starting to watch Death Race. I'll let you know.......

Edit:........"A puckish satire on contemporary mores" as someone once said.

abukii
15th February 2010, 01:21 PM
Ive seen a few. Lets see...

Horror/ Gore: August Underground Mordem, Canibal Holocaust, and Men Behind the Sun.

Sci-fi: Moon-- very good film. Im on vacation from school this week, so Im sure there will be more added8)

F.E.I.S.A.R
15th February 2010, 01:33 PM
Just starting to watch Death Race.

Which one? 2008 Remake or 1970 something film?
Watched the 2008 version before.
WipEout References(2008 Version):
1)Races are similar(Pads for weapons) but more gory compared to WipEout(Racers are KILLED,not ELIMINATED).
2)A car looks like the F9000 Auricom(sort of)

KGB
15th February 2010, 01:36 PM
The new one. Yeah it was funny watching those weapon pick-ups. :)

AG-wolf
15th February 2010, 02:35 PM
OMG Death Race was AWESOME! lol I loved every single second of it.

I actually paid to see it twice in the movie theater ... same goes for Speed Racer.

Ironically, those are also the only blu-ray movies I have bought (as opposed to downloading)... I might have to watch Death Race again sometime this week :D

F.E.I.S.A.R
15th February 2010, 03:43 PM
I hated the Dreadnaught part.It was real gory(14K's navigator was gored to death followed by his own death,but not before a "***k me" moment).Then again,Hennessy is a sadist.She enjoys seeing people suffer/get killed,so may as well just let it be...like it was in the original film

OBH
16th February 2010, 09:44 AM
I Thought death race was one of the most tedious films ive ever seen :) Every single scene was so painfully obvious what was going to happen.

watched scum last night, oh my word. totally understand now why ray winstone is refered to as "the daddy" in so many of his films. :D

though the scene where that kid cuts himself open made me have to leave the room. Ive never had to leave the room during a film.

Watched Children Of Men too. Not bad at all. Interesting ideas, and a bit of an abrupt end, but definitely glad i watched it.

ACE-FLO
16th February 2010, 01:20 PM
you thought that was tedious, NINJA ASSASSIN was worse... plot so thin, a 7 yr old coulda written it. Really. :-

only thing i liked was the fighting and that, but it wasn't no "IP MAN" - that movie rocked hard :rock

SenGoku81
16th February 2010, 03:26 PM
The last movie I watched, on Saturday night, was the dark and disturbing No Country for Old Men that film has a lot of big shots of the American wilderness, a lot of crazy deals turned sour, a lot of mind-less/ful violence and in my humble opinion some of the best acted characters in recent memory.

Were people refering to the original Death race 2000 from the 70s? Or the Statham featured remake? You can't knock the original, especially as David Carradine plays Frankenstein; the true hero of the story. The original Death race was what you fathers would have played in lieu of WipEout ^^
The Statham one is not a shred on that one, but still presents plenty of chuckles for casual viewing.

AspenExcel
16th February 2010, 04:01 PM
Ink. One of the more unique films I've seen in a while.

stinkleroy
17th February 2010, 08:57 AM
....just the other night we watched one called "The Dentist" . ROFL classic 80s horror, you'll never go to the dentist again!!!!!

Haha I remember renting this from the video store back in the mid 90's...terrible movie but so funny, nice find Travis ;)

Death Race 2000 (the original) - awesome movie, bonus points for an early Sylvester Stallone appearance ;)

On a more recent note, I saw Law Abiding Citizen the other day, was a fairly interesting plot that ventured off into being a bit mental in the end, and whilst Jamie Foxx isn't my favourite actor there's a great performance there from Gerard Butler :)

OBH
19th February 2010, 10:23 AM
I watched Law Abiding Citizen recently, great film. Gerard Butlers best film to date in my opinion (300 never required any real "acting" :))

ACE-FLO
19th February 2010, 03:03 PM
Guess what? Porco Rosso was showing on Film4 today - some of the girls were watching it in the office... Jeez, I love Studio Ghibli but when girls start cooing and sighing the way they typically do (whilst watching charmingly made television), it makes me wanna give them a few cuddles :D...

also, I couldn't watch a Studio Ghibli on my own, I get too emotional if I'm buzzing lol - so have to watch it with my girl, so when she gets all emotional - I can do the typical man thing and play comforter... gah, I'm a sop! :lol don't hold it against me... :rock

SaturnReturn
19th February 2010, 05:44 PM
"don't hold it against me"...That's what she said, followed by, "...or I'm never watching this weird chinese bullshit with you again". We know how it really is ACE.;)

EDIT: Also, if Tales from Earthsea is ever on Film4 again then someone please let me know as I keep missing it.

Razgriz375
21st February 2010, 04:22 PM
I love anime, but hardly any get aired in the UK, we only get Studio Ghibli stuf, which is pretty awesome, I missed the ending of Porco Rosso, but saw enough to make me want to watch it again. Princess mononoke is another I need to see. i keep missing these's movies, there so good. They get repeated alot which is good for me.

OBH
22nd February 2010, 09:48 AM
I watched snakes on a plane last night. Never seen a film that was so **** it made it amazing :)

Mr Phlanj
22nd February 2010, 09:51 AM
you haddn't seen snakes on a plane till yesterday!!! your comment dose sum up the movie perfectly tho :D

SenGoku81
22nd February 2010, 11:47 AM
Porco is badass! I quite liked Michael Keatons dubbing of the protagonist, I felt he brought charm and distinction to the character in the English dub. And as for watching Ghibli and emotions? Guilty as charged, especially with Princess Monoke which is a must-see Speedy, hope you enjoy it. Has anyone seen Grave of the fireflies? With the exception of Tales from Earthsea It is the only Ghibli film I have not yet watched, I've heard that it can be quite depressing and sad and even oddly some friends give it negative feedback because of it. Is this the general consensus?

Watched Harry Brown the other night, feeling wicked for it but laughed my posterior off to that one. If you live in the UK and hate chavs, this is the movie for you ^^

Dan Locke
24th February 2010, 10:25 PM
I watched snakes on a plane last night. Never seen a film that was so **** it made it amazing :)
You'd love Road House. And by "love" I mean "worship", and by "Road House" I mean "a movie starring Patrick Swayze as the world's greatest bouncer". It's chock-full of fight scenes, explosions, and general insanity. Also, rednecks and yuppies.

Aeroracer
25th February 2010, 01:19 AM
Patrick Swayze is cool in all ways..i was so sad when he died....

i watched dorian gray ..its ok nothing special..good to see what london may have looked like a 100 years ago..:o

ACE-FLO
25th February 2010, 01:41 AM
"don't hold it against me"...That's what she said, followed by, "...or I'm never watching this weird chinese bullshit with you again". We know how it really is ACE.;)

:lol, busted... it does get like that with anime (GitS, Samurai Champloo, DeathNote etc), but she actually likes the Studio Ghibli stuff. :? Well, it's a start :p

Kyonshi
25th February 2010, 04:53 AM
Pandorum.

Way much better than i expected, not that i had a bad idea about it. Efficient horror sci-fi like i love it :D Action and fighting scenes are spanking, and very convincing acting by Ben Foster ;):+

stin
25th February 2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah Pandorum.

Totally weird film, it`s similar to Aliens and I am Legend put together.

It is a pretty good movie.

What about Horizon?

stevie:)

OBH
25th February 2010, 02:50 PM
watched my joint favourite film again last night raging bull

robert de niro as jake lamotta really is one od the best acting performanes of all time.

Kyonshi
25th February 2010, 05:11 PM
@Stin

You meant Event Horizon? :) Of course this is an awesome movie, under-rated when it came out, but now a strong reference in sci-fi horror movies!

TorquedSoul
25th February 2010, 11:35 PM

That movie was a cult classic BEFORE it was released.

OBH
26th February 2010, 11:47 AM
:beer
Bought Chocoalte today on blue ray for £8. Like On-Bak but a girl kicking ass. Supposed to be a badass film

yeldar2097
26th February 2010, 12:00 PM
I saw Green Street the other day cos it was on the telly. Nice high-budget but much less awesome version of Football Factory. Tbh FF isn't exactly a good film but it's defs entertaining.

"Shut it soppy bollocks!"

Teehee, love it! :g

SenGoku81
26th February 2010, 12:05 PM
I know the thread said "good films" but I've done my noodle some serious damage yesterday and I need to fess up publically about which film it was.

I was just possessed by that "What's the worst that could happen" state of mind; I need to be absolved of my sin!

On a similar note Haydn, have you seen Battle Warrior? I thinks it's pretty much the first film Jaa was in (as he is not a major player but the DVD case touts that he is the star attraction) It's so amazingly poor it's untrue, but it has one of the greatest features of any martial arts films I've seen recently. It rips off, in order, theme tunes from Back to the Future, Judge Dredd and Aliens. The resultant effect is nothing short of breathtaking! ^^
There are other pieces of classical score in the film but as yet remain unidentified. I wonder why no one has sued?

TorquedSoul
26th February 2010, 02:34 PM
:beer
Bought Chocoalte today on blue ray for £8. Like On-Bak but a girl kicking ass. Supposed to be a badass film

I liked that one. It has some great fight scenes.

ACE-FLO
26th February 2010, 03:59 PM
Funny you mention thAT - I got ONG-BAK the beginning (Tony Jaa's new movie) on BluRay last week - and boy this has to ve the best Martial Arts flick of the previous decade - bar none... This guy FUKKING rocks. Wanna be a mug - miss this movie and you will be :rock

TorquedSoul
26th February 2010, 04:49 PM
Is that the 2nd Ong Bak? I liked the first one I have the second one in my Netflix Queue.

KGB
26th February 2010, 07:48 PM
Paul Blart: Mall Cop. In a crap kind of way it was funny. Strictly for the kids.

Planning on watching The Damned United tonight. Michael Sheens got to be one of the best actors around at the moment. I even thought he was great in Underworld

ACE-FLO
28th February 2010, 03:21 PM
@TorquedSoul - It's his 3rd movie, and the first one he directed. Far as I know, to date Tony Jaa has had many roles in movies - but only starred as the main hero in the following 3:

Ong Bak (2003 cinema release),
Tom Yum Goong / Warrior King (2005 cinema release)
Ong Bak - The Beginning (2008 cinema release)

All three are must have action movies for Martial Arts buffs! :)

TorquedSoul
28th February 2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks Ace, I wasn't aware of the second one. I'll be sure to check that out as well.

ACE-FLO
28th February 2010, 03:54 PM
Mate, you will love it. Guaranteed. I hope Sahamongkol Film make :

Ong Bak - The Middle (2010 CInema Release) and
Ong Bak - The End (2011 Cinema Release) :lol

Seriously, I liked it that much. :rock

OBH
2nd March 2010, 10:06 AM
On a similar note Haydn, have you seen Battle Warrior? I thinks it's pretty much the first film Jaa was in
Nope, seen Ong-Bak and Warrior King. Warrior King was so bad in terms of plot, but had some of the best fighting ive ever seen.

@KGB
Picked up Twentyfourseven last night on your recomendation :) Top quality film. Bob Hoskins is such a legend.

You'd love Road House. And by "love" I mean "worship", and by "Road House" I mean "a movie starring Patrick Swayze as the world's greatest bouncer".

Just seen the Family Guy tribute to this film :) now i really want to watch it!

Mr Phlanj
6th March 2010, 12:55 AM
i just watched pom poko. and i really liked it. i had to watch it in english because i cant find my remote but im glad i did because i reconised loads of the voice actors. i also thought the songs were really good

BulletWraith
6th March 2010, 05:11 AM
saw Alice in Wonderland for the 2nd time yesterday, wasn't going to see it at all due the the dogs dinner Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was, but got invited to the midnight screening and enjoyed it much so :D, then a friend came up from outta town and saw it with her

it was pretty good :)

IH8YOU
6th March 2010, 01:28 PM
I watched No Country For Old Men recently - and I still love that movie. It may be one of my all-time favorites.

Sucks that I'm the only human alive that has seen it, let alone likes it. It's the polar opposite of ANY commercial Hollywood / Michael Bay movie.

Mr Phlanj
6th March 2010, 01:44 PM
i love that film :D have you noticed how theres nearly no music

KGB
6th March 2010, 01:48 PM
No Country For Old Men is great but I'm always thrown by that seemingly missing part of it near the end. Doesn't feel right to me somehow. There Will Be Blood should of won the Oscar that year I think IMO.

Currently watching Journey To The Center Of The Earth. The joys of having kids. :-

IH8YOU
6th March 2010, 02:00 PM
The end of that movie is what makes it so great - life isn't always fair - and things don't always get wrapped up nicely. We've come to expect that from everything these days - and this was a nice reminder that it's not always so.

And yes - the lack of musical score added to the intensity of the whole movie - part of what I meant by it not being "Hollywood" - no catchy songs, flashy / pointless CGI, snazzy product placements, or horrid catch-phrases. It's an actual movie. :)

Just about anyone who actually did see it, wants to talk about it, and try to make sense of things. I think that's awesome.

KGB
6th March 2010, 02:11 PM
It does make you think and is very different ending from what you normally see, but we had followed the character all the way through the movie only to not see what happened to him! Feels like a cheat to me, not clever movie making. I thought I bought a dodgy copy when I first saw it.

Don't get me wrong, the Cohen Brothers have made some great films, I don't even think this is their best, that title belongs to either Fargo or The Big Lebowski, not sure. I even love The Hudsucker Proxy which is regarded by most as their worst film.

lunar
6th March 2010, 07:09 PM
I think Millers Crossing is the best Coen film.

There Will Be Blood should of won the Oscar that year I think IMO.

I agree it`s a terrific movie, and the scene when the oil well sets on fire is reason enough to get Blu Ray and HDTV on its own. Staggering stuff.

q_dmc12
7th March 2010, 05:04 AM
Forbidden Zone and Zapped :- :beer

KGB
7th March 2010, 01:51 PM
Forgot about that one Lunar. That's up there to.

Coen brothers, not Cohen brothers :naughty ooops.

stinkleroy
8th March 2010, 10:23 AM
Ah I'm glad the Coen brothers made it in here, Millers Crossing is awesome stuff, it's where my love of John Turturro began ;)

My personal favourite is definately The Big Lewbowski...and that's really only because I want to be the Dude :nod

blackwiggle
8th March 2010, 08:21 PM
I like the Coen bros,I've got every movie they have made on DVD.
I still think their first movie "Blood Simple" is probably their best,[not a easy movie to find on DVD],with "O Brother ,where out thou" a second favorite.
They have had a few so-so movies,mainly due to the mood that is set,it doesn't always come across to the best effect with the subject matter.
Like the Hudsucker Proxy's mood was just a bit too dark to carry off the screwball comedy.
And they just shouldn't of attempted a remake of The Ladykillers,it was embarrassingly forgettable.
Their latest,"A serious man" isn't one of their best either IMHO,but they do have a couple of movies in the works that look promising.

As for recommended movies,you can't beat watching the 1975 classic "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest",one of Jack Nicholson's best movies,this movie cleaned up at the Oscars that year,winning 5.[ Best picture,actor,actress,director and adapted screenplay]
I am amazed at how many people under 35 that have never seen this movie.
Do yourself a favour and watch it.
Another classic from the same year,"A Dog Days Afternoon" Al Pacino ,well worth watching if you have yet to see it.

Dan Locke
8th March 2010, 08:23 PM
I just watched The Fifth Element. It wasn't perfect, and the ultra-'90s vibe really dated it, but I thought that it was a neat movie overall. Certainly better than most other '90s sci-fi (for example, the near-unwatchable Lost in Space remake and the disappointingly juvenile Star Wars: Episode I).

SenGoku81
11th March 2010, 02:20 PM
Sucks that I'm the only human alive that has seen it, let alone likes it. It's the polar opposite of ANY commercial Hollywood / Michael Bay movie.

Dude, check my comment out back on page two of this thread, and what am I yammering on about? :beer

May I also take the time to inform anyone interested that there are some iterviews on youtube with confirmed members of cast for UltraMarines the new Warhammer 40K film in the works as well as Dan Abnet interviews too. I'm not sure how to feel about this film at the moment so I may open a thread on the subject for any other Brothers who wish to discuss the film.

OneAVGNFan
12th March 2010, 05:40 AM
I recently watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It was great because they know how to spoof things quite well (Holy Hand Grenade). However, the main reason its awesome is because they keep breaking the 4th wall in many ways like the Nordic subtitles and sacking those responsible for them. It's classic.

ACE-FLO
12th March 2010, 06:06 AM
(MY opinions and NOT YOURS)

Not really an OPINION if all you are doing is rating your best viewed films in "top 3" form. It would help us to know more about the movies you mention by telling us why you liked those movies - that is an opinion ;)

Besides, this is not a "Your best 3 moives of all time thread", it is a thread enquiring as to which films you may have seen recently which you were impressed by. Here's something to consider also -

There's Hollywood, which is the mainstream western cinema.

There's Bollywood. Indian cinema churns out more movies per year than any other movie industry.

There's Eastern Cinema - Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, etc - And this industry sees the birth of Hollywood remakles taken from plotlines utilised very effectively, in movies such as Infernal Affairs Trilogy. The Hollywood remake was The Departed and it hardly did it justice... it's a big world mate. ;)

French cinema, films such as La Haine are masterpieces, and helped to put actors such as Vincent Cassel on the map - for me at least. I've covered thiis movie in a similiar thread somewhere on this forum already.

Italian Cinema - Again, when it comes to gangster movies, these guys roll best. Take 'Romanzo Criminale' out from your local store if you will. I've covered this movie in a similiar thread on this forum already.

I think you get the picture - this is not a Hollywood/Pinewood studios exclusive, helps to inform and educate others about movies they may have never considered before.

Cheers :)

SenGoku81
15th March 2010, 01:51 PM
I watched a pirate of Percy Jackson and the lightning thief the other day, I shat blood that night.
That's not opine, that's the fact of the matter. ^^

Though Up in the Air was easy going and amusing to watch.

RedScar
15th March 2010, 05:57 PM
Finally saw Avatar, and I must say that I was hugely impressed with the 3D and CGI. The plot was ok I guess, it had some pretty cool moments but was overall predictable. Apparently a sequel is in the works, for sure gonna see it.

Hope to get to see Greenzone this Friday, hear its good.

OBH
16th March 2010, 11:33 AM
The plot was ok I guess.
You joking right? The plot is basically pocahontas in space :beer

Ive been searching for an old skool war film that was banned called Soldier Blue. Cant find it anywhere....

Connavar
17th March 2010, 11:13 AM
I watched Match Point recently, very good movie!

blackwiggle
17th March 2010, 09:57 PM
I read that Warner Bros want to re - release Avatar 3D version later in the year with an added 10 minutes,they reckon it got pulled from 3D Imax cinemas to quickly [to make way for Alice in Wonderland] and that there are still big bucks to be made.
Apparently Cameron has around 40 minutes of additional scenes that got cut.
I doubt we will see most of them as the DVD/Blueray is due for release on May 28th, and I know the DVD version has already been mastered ;)

I watched the documentary "The Cove" yesterday,about a Japanese fishing village that supply Dolphins for sea parks,but take the unchosen ones around to a cove and kills them in secret,then the meat is packaged and sold as whale meat,the irony is the dolphin meat is poisonous,containing 200 times the max allowed of Mercury.
You got to see this Doco/movie ,it's good on so many levels.

Also watched "A serious man" the latest Coen bros movie,this ultra Jewish themed movie is a typically bizarre comedy that only they could make,not really laugh out loud funny,more observational humor.

I have watched a few duds this week as well,ones to avoid.

44 inch chest - I was expecting good things from this as it's the same writers who wrote Sexy Beast, great cast,nothing really happens, truly over the top gratuitous swearing,it's like a one room based play rehearsal.

Pandorum - Dennis Quaid stars in this 3rd rate Sc-Fi horror movie that is illogical plot wise and has poor production values and a lousy ending to boot.

KGB
21st March 2010, 02:13 AM
Went to see Shutter Island on Friday, pretty good. Thought the editing was a bit strange but kept me on the edge of my seat for all the film. I think old Martin should stick to Gangster films though. Bits of Hitchcock in there but get the feeling that's what he was trying. Christopher Nolan may of done it better though imo. Go see it :+.

OBH
22nd March 2010, 03:09 PM
Bought Gran Torino and the uber Al Pacino classic Donnie Brasko today :beer

OBH
12th April 2010, 02:48 PM
Watched a quality John Cleese film the other night called Fierce Creatures :) A hilarious feel good film. Its like a coherent version of monty python! great fun.

UB3R~JKP
12th April 2010, 06:24 PM
Speed Racer :) :) :) :) :)
Paul Blart: Mall Cop :) :) :) :)

OBH
14th April 2010, 10:57 AM
I thought Mall Cop was poo.

blackwiggle
14th April 2010, 10:01 PM
I watch Micheal Caine in the Movie Harry Brown , pretty good movie about a pensioner getting revenge on a gang of hoodies.

Dan Locke
14th April 2010, 10:19 PM
Just watched Blade Runner again; it's pretty much a perfect movie.

mic-dk
15th April 2010, 04:56 AM
I watched Raging Bull yesterday. De Niro is always a pleasure.

BearAlmighty182
15th April 2010, 05:42 AM
Yesterday i watched "The Forbidden Kingdom" and "the Hurt Locker" both quality movies !! I picked up a blu ray of forbidden kingdom and was very impressed. I like most martial arts style movies and kinda knew a movie with jackie chan and jet li would be worth a watch. highly recommended!!

OBH
15th April 2010, 09:39 AM
I watched Raging Bull yesterday. De Niro is always a pleasure.

respect to you my friend!!! My favourite film along with uncut version of natural born killers.

mic-dk
15th April 2010, 12:27 PM
One of my 3 favorite movie moments is from Natural Born Killers! When Mickeys interview is over and he grabs a shotgun all the while 'Bombtrack' builds up in the background and it all explodes in shooting and guitarriffs.

Give me goosebumps just thinking about - it even beats 'I love you honeybunny' on the cool-scale :D

SenGoku81
15th April 2010, 01:21 PM
Just watched Blade Runner again; it's pretty much a perfect movie.

Such the classic, always fresh and a feast for the senses. I'm surprised by the numbers of people I've met who are either not familiar with the film or, more shockingly, dislike it!!! But oh well, can't please everyone. ^^

Good taste mate. Do you, like me long for darker settings for WipEout like those featured in Blade Runner? The utopia presented in WipEout is swell and is unmatched for looks anywhere, but I long for dark skies, torrents of rain and violent neon.

Firey the angels fell...

Dan Locke
15th April 2010, 02:23 PM
It already had that. It was called Wipeout XL.

But, yeah, I'm annoyed with Wipeout HD's neon excess and over-the-top flashiness. It looks like a frickin' arcade game, not Wipeout.

OBH
15th April 2010, 03:15 PM
One of my 3 favorite movie moments is from Natural Born Killers!

The movies full of some of my favourite scenes - The american style sitcom when they both first meet and they kill her dad, but most importantly, Tommy Lee Jones is AMAZING as the prison warden. :cowboy Think i know what im going to watch later!

SenGoku81
17th April 2010, 03:07 PM
Hmm, it has been many years since I last watched NBK, I remember it giving me a lot of chuckles, especially the sitcom moment you mention Haydn, there are few funnier men than Rodney Dangerfield particularly with his amazing gaze ^^
As for the delightful Tommy Lee J, I think i like him best in No country for old men or in the underrated 90s classic The Fugitive though I look forward to reviewing his performance in NBK.
I miss thems 90s style movies! T-T

Mr Phlanj
27th April 2010, 10:22 PM
saw kick ass today. it was ok, not great but its not bad.

Dan Locke
28th April 2010, 12:26 AM
I just saw Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. It was absolute garbage. Well, apart from the Wipeout Fusion-meets-Immortal Grand Prix-meets-Extreme-G motorcycle scenes.

SenGoku81
28th April 2010, 02:34 PM
Caught The Abyss on Film 4 the other night, and somehow, I forgot how good it is and how well it stands up against todays films. It has aged nicely. ^^
Also caught the tail end of X-Men: The Last Stand last night and laughed my rocks off when I heard the distinct voice of R. Lee Ermy barking orders at grunts. So one good turn deserving another, I sat down to watch Full Metal Jacket afterwards and catch the man in his element. ^^

Any reports/ reviews on current releases or anything due for the summer months? Anyone?

UB3R~JKP
28th April 2010, 05:42 PM
Just went to see How To Train Your Dragon for the 2x.
I fail to see how another animated film can match this movie's blend of adventure+humour.

9.3/10

Handmadelion
28th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Movie fans!!

I had no idea so many of you had such exquisite taste! SenGoku81 for example, sitting down with some Full Metal Jacket, Abyss, and Blade Runner! Every day on WOZ is another day closer with "the family." ;)

And I know I've never raced you before, Haydn, but this is where that friend request came from, pal. I'm not a Natural Born Killers fanatic (no sarcasm), but I knew you were good peoples, was just waiting for the situation to present itself (like a race!) but alas it has taken a while. But what better to meet someone than a love for movies!

I myself have gone somewhat astray from my usual "programming" with a bit of Bond marathonning. I always watch the 007 Days of Christmas, and think they all (approx.) make great Christmas movies to me, just like Die Hard! Something about the snow outside, and them just being on. It's been a pleasant memory ever since!

I just finished License to Kill the other day and I absolutely love Timothy Dalton. Can't understand where all the hate's coming from with him! It's not a bad Bond, just, different. :)

pEAces! -hml

SenGoku81
29th April 2010, 03:13 PM
I always watch the 007 Days of Christmas, and think they all (approx.) make great Christmas movies to me.
pEAces! -hml

Don't forget the essential bank holiday viewings of Bond too ^^

JJPAP
13th November 2010, 11:24 AM
I enrolled for MUBI last night, I admit.
I was a little worried of the quality of the streaming, but it´s actually very good.
The catalogue of indie/classic films from all over the world is brilliant.

Who wouldn´t spend their saturday night watching a film called Killer, made in Kazakhstan?

Can´t wait to re-watch one of my alltime favourite films: Il Capitano (a film I haven´t been able to find in any shops for the last 16 years!) :hyper

OBH
13th November 2010, 09:51 PM
Hope some of you have been watching the new Walking Dead series thas started :)

First 2 episodes are very good.

MegaGeeza22
17th November 2010, 10:15 AM
any1 seen Gallipoli? i think its a pukka film! it has mel gibson as a young man and the end is shocking! if u eva get a few hours spare and u like war films give it a go! u no it makes sense!:+

stin
17th November 2010, 11:18 AM
Bud, can you write in plain english and not in text messages please, thank you, mind this an international website;), so peeps can understand our language!

MegaGeeza22
17th November 2010, 12:13 PM
If someone can't understand what i have written then they dont speak a word of english IMO (in my opinion) but thanks for the advice and i will refrain from shortening words and using slang!:+

Colonel
18th November 2010, 03:04 PM
Watched a good film at the weekend called "Extract", a comedy by Mike Judge. I was pleasantly surprised because although I'm a huge fan of Beavis and Butthead, and King Of The Hill, Mike Judge's non-animated films have been really weak. Extract is very good though.

It's about a guy who drunkenly decides to try and get his wife to cheat on him, so that he can do likewise – guilt free – with Mila Kunis. Anybody who's seen Mila Kunis will agree that this is a bloody good idea, however much you love your wife. Anyway it backfires, as they say "with hilarious consequences".

Well worth a look if you've not seen it, even Ben Affleck comes out of it pretty well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1225822/

SaturnReturn
21st November 2010, 01:08 AM
I watched the French film, District 13, recently. It was kind of fun at the start, but I feel ultimately it lacked any real substance, and the slight twist at the end was really daft. Not the twist itself, but how it was realised - was just silly.

I've watched a few more films recently, thanks to the LOVEFiLM trial on PS3 (although I'm actually watching the movies on PC because it's always so slow on the PS3).

Departures - I'd say this is a good movie, but can't quite put my finger on why I liked it. The ending had a nice sentiment, but overall there wasn't really anything in particular that stood out for me. Might be one to watch again to get the most out of it.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring - Really good, and amazing how much can be said with so little dialogue.

The Mist - was good in general. Along the way I felt it could have done with a bit more suspense to make it more intense, and not jumped into CGI monsters so early. But given the ending, I guess that wasn't really the point of it anyway. As for the ending, I really hated it. It's amazing in itself, but I really hate the idea that a character in the film would allow this particular ending to happen. It's very bleak, and genuinely tragic.

If I were to put these in order of worthwhile-ness-ness, I think I'd go with The Mist first (just for that ending), then Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring, then Departures, and generally steer clear of District 13, because even though it was entertaining at the start, just watching a 5 minute long parkour video would probably give the same entertainment in a fraction of the time.

Jav
21st November 2010, 02:33 AM
I watched Gladiator tonight, good film I thought, although not outstanding. The soundtrack is great though!

q_dmc12
21st November 2010, 04:03 AM
A few old classics, some cheesy but that's the fun of it. :D

Soylent Green - it has some humorous acting but it comes with a message.

Silent Running - this to has a message (futuristic scifi)

Future Force - post apocalyptic, need I say more?

Crime Zone - another cheesy 80s movie (post apocalyptic) :P

Kyonshi
21st November 2010, 05:03 AM
I went to see Skyline, and its actually pretty awesome and promising. People are bashing this movie out loud though... Still don't know what the problem is. Its not perfect, but it is far from being as bad as people say. You just have to have your mind opened and see that its sci-fi.

If you'd like to, here's my full review on IMDB:)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1564585/board/thread/174121783?d=174121783#174121783

Colonel
24th November 2010, 08:10 PM
Saturn I have to disagree with you on District 13, it's ace! Just a cool as f_ck film to switch the brain off to. Bright colours, loud electronic music, free-running, guns, drugs, fast cars and a nuke! Yeah it's bloody ridiculous and has no substance whatsoever, but it's not trying to be Remains of The Day :lol

I watched a film called "Stay" last night, Ewan McGregor and Ryan Gosling. REALLY good, kind of a noir thriller about a psychiatrist trying to prevent his patient from killing himself in three days' time. Looks a fairly bog-standard film at first but turns nightmare-ish about thalf way through. One that needs a second viewing for sure. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371257/

Talking of films that need a second viewing, I watched "Valhalla Rising" last week. My God that's a f_cked up film, maybe two hundred words of dialogue in the whole thing, but visually stunning. If I'm honest I'll probably read up on it before I watch it again, 'cause Christ knows what's going on in it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/

Hmm, posting these imdb links has made me realise how much they've cocked that site up with the recent re-design. The old layout made far more sense :mad:

DJ Techno
24th November 2010, 10:27 PM
Waiting
-still funny

Harry Pothead and the deadly hollows
-bye bye harry!

Due Date
-I almost got put out the theature for laughing so hard

Saw 3-D
-it was a damn shame splitting that pretty two time scank in half. But cheating on two dudes. i guess yeah

SaturnReturn
28th November 2010, 10:24 PM
Saturn I have to disagree with you on District 13, it's ace! Just a cool as f_ck film to switch the brain off to. Bright colours, loud electronic music, free-running, guns, drugs, fast cars and a nuke! Yeah it's bloody ridiculous and has no substance whatsoever, but it's not trying to be Remains of The Day :lol

Based on the first half hour or so I would have agreed. But then not a whole lot of free-running happened. Towards the end I felt there just hadn't been enough free-running to compensate for that lack of substance. Then the whole thing with the 'code'. That was just silly and felt like a slap in the face - as if they recognised that people watching are mostly just into it for the free-running stuff and wouldn't care about the story. That's why I still think an actual pure free-running video with the same music, and far more spectacular moves, as is available freely on youtube, would be a better use of a person's time and generally more enjoyable.

Moving on, I just watched on old film called Dark Star I honestly didn't know what to make of this film at the start. There's a sequence in it that really reminded me of the Alien films, and somehow managed to be really quite sinister, despite the low-low-low budget alien that was used. It's a properly low-budget film, but really quite impressive what was achieved when comparing it to today's films.

Also watched Let the Right One In the other night, which I really liked, and Inception, which was good, but I just didn't really understand what it was trying to say, beyond the whole obvious dreams vs. reality thing. It probably didn't help that I watched it over the course of 2 evenings, but still think it's overrated considering the 9/10 on imdb. Either it was super-deep and I missed something, or it was actually refreshingly simple and clear in its message, and I'm ironically slightly disappointed about that. I can't quite decide.

BulletWraith
29th November 2010, 01:59 AM
watched Porco Rosso during Japanese film week at uni
it was lovely seeing it on the big screen with a whole bunch of people of various ages laughing along and enjoying the film together
haven't had that much fun seeing a movie in ages :D

BulletWraith

Kyonshi
29th November 2010, 05:24 AM
While we're talking about movies, most of us will remember Canadian-born Leslie Nielsen's flicks (Airplane, Naked Gun movies) since he just passed away today, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He was hospitalized due to pneumonia complications.

R.I.P you funny as hell gentleman!

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni5822127/

OBH
29th November 2010, 12:29 PM
Leslie Nielsen died!!!!????/ :o

Oh my god, police squad is one of the funniest tv series ever.

RIP.

Nutcase:259
29th November 2010, 12:43 PM
That came as a real shock. never knew before hand he was ill :frown:

Naked gun films are the funniest films ever. at least we still have that :D

Colonel
29th November 2010, 03:42 PM
Watched two very good films yesterday. The first was Buffalo Soldiers, a comedy set on an American army base, in Germany in the late eighties. Very funny, that's all I'll say.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252299/

The second is Half Nelson, a drama starring Ryan Gosling about an inspirational teacher with a drug problem. Bloody brilliant, Ryan Gosling is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors. A truly stunning performance and an excellent supporting cast. Highly recommended. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468489/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468489/)

Oh and Saturn, agree with you on both "Let The Right One In" and "Inception". Although I'd go further and say that Inception is a load of poncey gash, the most up-itself film I've seen since The Matrix. Having said that I was a bit drunk when I watched it, so I really wasn't in the mood for people rambling on about dream worlds etc.

"Let The Right One In" is immense, I've only watched a few Swedish films but they've all been superb. Check out "Evil" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338309/ , one of my favourite films.

Flint Fandango
30th November 2010, 11:10 AM
Watched SAW 3D a few days ago. Damn good splatter/gore/thriller movie, but I hope that this 7th part was really the last one! One should stop on time...
Full of perverted torture-fantasy and more involuntarily humor - this is what makes the SAW-Movies so interesting!
The 3D-effect is nice, so you should rather watch this movie in your local cinema than on DVD later, if possible.
If you´re into horror-stuff, get out and watch it! You´ll like it!

KGB
30th November 2010, 12:17 PM
Just watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button a couple of days ago, I thought it was very good. Probably Brad Pitt's best performance since Fight Club.

Also watched Scott Pilgrim, which I was rather let down by after all the things I had read. Not a patch on Shaun of the Dead

OBH
30th November 2010, 05:07 PM
Watched two very good films yesterday. The first was Buffalo Soldiers
Great film :):+
All about the slowest "knife fight" in history, and the smack heads driving the tank :g

Colonel
30th November 2010, 10:28 PM
The tank scene had me in tears, bloody hilarious.

IndoorSnowStorm
1st December 2010, 02:13 AM
Oh. My. God.....

I just finished watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and it was the best movie ever!!

stin
5th December 2010, 04:37 PM
I did hired a dvd called The A Team last night and it was absolutely brilliant film and I never laughed so much for a long time!!!

Loads of one liners, even B.A. are awesome!!!

Mr Phlanj
5th December 2010, 05:01 PM
yer man a-teams cool.

i know alot of people who didnt like BA in it and i think its because hes a modern BA not a 80's BA. i think it would of been out of place have only one single 80's guy in the film.

"why dose it feel like i fell on my face?" - BA

Rennfisch
8th December 2010, 01:58 AM
If you like Japanese movies, you should watch Samurai fiction and Zatoichi. I love that stuff.

Oryx Crake
8th December 2010, 02:00 AM
@renn I couldn't stand samurai fiction O.o but maybe thats cause I expected something different... zatoichi though was awesome!

Rennfisch
8th December 2010, 02:06 AM
There is a second part of Zatoichi: Ichi. It's the story of his daughter.

Oryx Crake
8th December 2010, 02:08 AM
cool I'll check that out then :D

Mr Phlanj
8th December 2010, 03:27 AM
i just watched inception and i hated it.

MegaGeeza22
8th December 2010, 03:33 AM
Hey, B.A barackus was amazing!!! he is an active fighter on UFC!!! u cant test him, his real name or UFC name is Quentin (RAMPAGE) Jackson, he is 1 of my favourites aswell as Diego sanchez! The A-Team is a top notch film... especially with the tank lol!!:hyper

OBH
8th December 2010, 10:34 AM
i just watched inception and i hated it.

Really!!!??? I thought it was awesome.
Granted there are some "convenient" moments, but its basically the matrix in peoples sub consciousness.

Temet
8th December 2010, 11:29 AM
Uh o_O'
What's the point between "The Matrix" and "Inception" ???
I'm sure the only common point is the fight in the corridor...

I like "Inception" (bought the BluRay), I love "The Matrix" ... but they have nothing in common!

... but wait, OBH and Phlanj are Bros right? :g

PS : "A-Team" is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen ! :)

OBH
8th December 2010, 03:29 PM
Temet mate, they have loads in common :)

* Matrix is a group of guys going back and forth between the matrix and the real world.
* Inception is a group of guys going back and forth between the real world and someone's sub conscious mind.
* If you die in the Matrix or are "pulled from the plug" you die in the real world.
* In inception if you die in someone's subconscious mind, you die in the real world, or are "trapped".

There's more similarities too -
* The fight in the corridor
* Action scenes where the characters are desperately trying to accomplish something in "the Matrix/real world" while their real bodies are under attack.
* The company that seem to know exactly what the guys are up to and appear at every turn - just like the agents from the matrix :)
* There are people who choose to live in the fantasy land over the real one.

The main difference I thought was that the Matrix is a predetermined world that everyone lives in, where in Inception the fake world doesn't abide by the same laws as its created by the person who is sleeping. Obviously the films setting is different; all humanity definitely hasn't become enslaved by machines in Inception for example. :beer

Could ramble on with more but you get the point. Not saying its a bad thing to be similar to the Matrix, but the similarities are clear as day.

Mr Phlanj
8th December 2010, 03:44 PM
If you die in the matrix or are "pulled from the plug" you die in the real world. / * In inception if you die in someone's subconscious mind, you die in the real world, or are "trapped". - not true because they only die because they are sedated in the real world, any other time they will be fine (in fact they shoot each other to wake up)

* Desperately trying to accomplish something in "the matrix/real world" while their real bodies are under attack. - not true because they are on a flight to america and are pefectly safe.

OBH
8th December 2010, 04:36 PM
fair play on first one.
Seconds one true, cos weather they are actually on a plane or not, their still being chased in a car while asleep.

omega329
8th December 2010, 07:12 PM
FLASH!
AAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080745/

BulletWraith
8th December 2010, 08:38 PM
on tuesday I saw a really lovely film called Heart of Miracle (http://www.yonbunnoichi.net/english/) it's a film/Doco about Katsuko Yamamoto who works with gifted/challenged children
it was great, saw it the day after I'd been looking in the 'is god an Alien' thread and had been looking at Ancient structures that day and giant pictures that can only been seen from the sky and then Heart of Miracle had some of the same and some similar images in it:nod

StEvie

Mr Phlanj
8th December 2010, 08:54 PM
i know there not films (yet) but theres are some awesome trailers.

Mortal Kombat: Rebirth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd4HAtUEdAw)
Pokémon Apokélypse (http://www.dorkly.com/embed/3066/gritty-live-action-pokemon-trailer)

OBH
21st December 2010, 09:59 AM
Watched Four Lions yesterday :) One of the funniest films ive ever seen. Film 4 production staring the bloke from phone jacker.

Its a very brave film -- being as its about 4 British Muslims who want to be suicide bombers. However, despite being very dark at times, it is genuinely hilarious.

One of the best films ive seen in ages. Well worth a watch :beer

DjM1zw1z
21st December 2010, 10:06 AM
Watched Tron (original)
One thing to say, good but huh? :P

KGB
21st December 2010, 10:35 AM
I watched Four Lions a while ago, Chris Morris is so funny.

Watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest last night after years of not seeing it, just a brilliant film.

Colonel
21st December 2010, 12:09 PM
Watched Four Lions yesterday :) One of the funniest films ive ever seen. Film 4 production staring the bloke from phone jacker.

Its a very brave film -- being as its about 4 British Muslims who want to be suicide bombers. However, despite being very dark at times, it is genuinely hilarious.

One of the best films ive seen in ages. Well worth a watch :beer

One of this year's stand out films, truly exceptional in every regard. But no surprise from a genius like Morris. A must see for, well, everybody really.

"Can I have twelve bottles of bleach please?"

I watched "Devil" the other night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314655/. What a load of toss. No suspense, no character development, nothing remotely scary in it. Just a really poor film.

OBH
21st December 2010, 08:03 PM
"My plan is, right, to put a bomb on a crow and fly it into one of them towers full of Jews and slags.":D
===============
"You got a beard!!"
"I covered it."
"Right, so you went into a shop, with your hands on your face like that and asked for 12 bottles of bleach? - So, why has she got her hands on her face, Fess?"
"Cos she's got a beard......" :g:g:g

My god i nearly died of laughter. :beer

Challenger #001
21st December 2010, 08:29 PM
I only just watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I think I need to undergo a punitive journey for not having seen it earlier.

OBH
30th December 2010, 10:51 AM
Just watched Moon.
One man on the moon, alone, 250,000 miles away from home.

Excellent film, excellent soundtrack. And Kevin Spacey as an AI computer :)

A-Tomic_Power
2nd January 2011, 05:13 PM
Yesterday watched Tron: Legacy IN 3D! Afterwards I suddenly felt like playing a lot of detonator and zone battle.

AspenExcel
2nd January 2011, 05:21 PM
Watched Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu and my mind was blown. Fantastic movie, although I think it would have helped if I had watched the second season before this.

MegaGeeza22
2nd January 2011, 10:20 PM
McVicar... Excellent film! Roger Daltrey (The Who) plays John Mcvicar who has just been sentenced to 26 years in prison for armed robbery. The film shows his prison life and his escape! Its a true story! Its the best prison film i have seen and his escape is immense! i almost felt like i was there...
watch it on youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUzUrbSj2bs&feature=related
Here is the real Mcvicar on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McVicar

IndoorSnowStorm
4th January 2011, 01:20 AM
Just finished watching the 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet in English class, before reading the rest of the play. Even though they told you what would happen in the beginning of the film (also in the beginning of the play), the ending was still sad. It wasn't a particularly good film, but the whole thing was full of different emotions. ( I sound really dumb, I know ;))

Dan Locke
4th January 2011, 02:43 AM
Just watched Moon.
One man on a mining ship near the moon, alone, 250,000 miles away from home.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sam stationed at a base on the Moon? I remember (both of) him taking a rover out to fix the communication towers.

WolfKill01
4th January 2011, 04:38 AM
Watched Tron: Legacy. It was AMAZING :hyper. Bought the soundtrack as well. Daft Punk was awesome :rock

Also has a movie night tonight. Watched, in this order, Pocohontas, The Grudge 2, and Beauty and the Beast. It was a very strange combonation but it all balanced out quite nicely :lol. Now I'm going to fall asleep watching Speed Racer (the orginal) :P

mdhay
4th January 2011, 07:11 PM
I still haven't seen Legacy. -.-

Hellfire_WZ
4th January 2011, 08:01 PM
I'm still waiting for a local cinema to show the damn thing in 2D!

MegaGeeza22
5th January 2011, 12:28 AM
Im going to wait for it to come out on blue ray! it will look and sound immense!
3D gives me a head ache lol.

WolfKill01
5th January 2011, 02:57 AM
I drove for fourty minutes to get to a theatre that even had the 2d showing. When are people going to realize that 3d is terrible? :?

Dan Locke
5th January 2011, 03:16 AM
It's better to ask when the studios will realize that. And because the most-hyped movie in history just happened to be in (awful) 3D, don't expect it to be any time soon.

Oh, and I watched Tron: Legacy in both 2D and 3D. Regardless of its format, it's an incoherent, pretentious mess with some great action scenes and a nice (if overrated) soundtrack.

Speaking of 3D being the worst thing that ever happened to movies, why does it look so awful in the first place? Surely, the effect of cardboard cutouts sliding around in front of fuzzy backdrops isn't inherent to stereoscopic imagery, right? And it surely isn't necessary to tint the glasses like that, is it? How did RealD (or whatever it's called) ever become the standard for 3D cinema when it works so horribly?

OBH
5th January 2011, 01:12 PM
@Dan Locke
You are entirely correct about Moon. Smoking, then writing on the internet dont go hand in hand i think :)

Colonel
7th January 2011, 07:06 PM
@Dan Locke
You are entirely correct about Moon. Smoking, then writing on the internet dont go hand in hand i think :)

Haha. Amazing film anyway, truly exceptional.

Recently I've watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/, which was brilliant. I've yet to see a poor Swedish film, there must be one somewhere, but everything I've seen from Sweden has been great.

Also watched The Social Network http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/, also superb - Jesse Eisenberg's excellent in it. Makes me glad I've never had anything to do with Facebook though, if the film's to be believed, Mark Zuckerberg's a massive w*nker.

blackwiggle
7th January 2011, 10:04 PM
I watch the Coen bros remake of the early 70"s John Wayne Western "True Grit" the other day.
It stars Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Hailee Stienfeld & Josh Brolin.

Bridges plays the character of Ruben "Rooster" Cockburn, a whiskey soaked, one eyed, old Federal Marshall whose practices regarding law enforcement are rather dubious, people seem to get shot rather than taken in.

New comer, 14 year old Hailee Stienfeld plays Mattie Ross, a fast talking, no nonsense girl who hires Cockburn to track down and apprehend the killer [Josh Brolin] of her father.

It's remarkably similar to the original John Wayne movie, but the language used in this Coen Bros version is much more in keeping with that used the original book.

A well crafted movie.

Colonel
8th January 2011, 02:35 AM
Ooh I've not hear of that, sounds good. You can't go wrong with Coen brothers and Jeff Bridges, must check it out.

phaeton_pl
8th January 2011, 07:58 AM
I'm not a movie expert but i can recommend this one:

"I saw the devil"

It's a low budget, Korean thriller :D

Trailer here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFp6BVHiVPo)

SaturnReturn
8th January 2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion phateon. I really like Korean cinema but don't know anyone else who does so always appreciate suggestions for good Korean films.

Jav
8th January 2011, 03:26 PM
I saw Unstoppable yesterday, whilst it was good I don't think it was great. Never really felt the tension you should feel with these kind of films (unarmed train that cannot be stopped), and the story behind the characters was a bit weak lol. But good action and very nice filming, and you just gotta love the exaggerated (or is it?) American culture :beer

OBH
8th January 2011, 10:45 PM
I really like Korean cinema but don't know anyone else who does so always appreciate suggestions for good Korean films.
R-Point & Tale of Two Sisters :)

DJ Techno
8th January 2011, 11:56 PM
i work in a video store..

lets see...

only one movie i decided to see straight to end

True Grit

Jeff Bridges as marshall Rooster.

unlike John Wayne as the original role..

and this movie is not out of theaters

so DIGITAL PIRATES and HACKERS UNITE

Dan Locke
9th January 2011, 05:28 AM
Re-watched The Iron Giant for the first time in years; I'd forgotten how awesome it is. Seriously, it's probably the best thing ever animated.

erich123
9th January 2011, 07:11 AM
SALTwith Angelina:p
Loved that woman ever since l saw her as Lara croft:rock
Her last film The tourist looks great to:P

phaeton_pl
9th January 2011, 09:19 AM
I definitely must see this one :nod Check this trailer :+

"SHARKTOPUS" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87zVkIXNI0)

stinkleroy
9th January 2011, 12:06 PM
OMG that had me rolling on the floor Phaeton :D

And left me asking the question......Is there nothing Eric Roberts won't do for money? :donut

Aeroracer
13th January 2011, 12:04 AM
SALTwith Angelina:p
Loved that woman ever since l saw her as Lara croft:rock
Her last film The tourist looks great to:P

i thought Angelina was crap and a joke actress...i hate her films

thats until i saw salt...wow what a good film and she was fantastic in it..perfectly cast..i take back all i said..angelina is cool

i saw tron 3d in cinima tonight..its fantastic film..effects are amazing..music is good too..daft punk i think..all must see this on big screen..

DJ Techno
13th January 2011, 07:29 AM
what the **** wrong with angelina?

i never knew Angelina was in Hackers until after the 2000

to be real before she married brad pitt she was doing the damn greatest work any other female actress did.

nice sexy voice in Beowulf

nice twist with a gun in Lara croft, wanted, and Mr/Mrs smith

haven't seen the tourist but i think those two really did a movie together before this one.

and as for salt.

i saw the movie with three different endings. the disk has the other two endings besides the bullshit one i saw in theatures...

applaud to seeing the other versions which they should have had in the theatures. then the directors dum ****ing mistake and make it look like we got see her run through the woods for three mintues before the credits.

besides i bet you never heard or seen the movie Shaka Zulu with a great actor Henry Cele!

you want to know something about African Americans. watch it. its just a history thing but hey welcome to why my people seem to be winning world marathons every year.

OBH
13th January 2011, 05:34 PM
She's hot, but there are much better actresses.

Colonel
13th January 2011, 06:36 PM
And much hotter actresses, Cameron for instance.

Anyway, watched The Last Exorcism http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320244/ the other night. Starts well but descends into farce. Shame really, good horror films are so hard to come by.

By the way is there a TV shows thread anywhere? I did a search but came up with nothing. If not I may start one, been watching some awesome programmes recently, as I'm sure many other members have :)

stin
13th January 2011, 06:50 PM
Yes you right, me and my wife did watched it at the weekend and thought, it was pretty crap, it`s like a Blair Witch.

Now, I did watched Resident Evil AfterLife

It`s a pretty good film and I`m hoping they will make another one in future.

Dan Locke
14th January 2011, 05:52 PM
Alien³, the Assembly cut. I'd heard that it was much better than the theatrical version, but I still wasn't impressed with it. The beginning is everything that it should have been the first time around, and the events after the explosion are much more interesting (including a particularly unsettling scene involving an insane prisoner), but the rest of the movie's problems are still intact, from the ridiculously profane dialogue (it's as if the characters are unable to form a complete sentence without punctuating it - often multiple times - with the word "f**k") to the awful plastic Bishop head (which could have been done far more effectively with makeup and prosthetics) to the complete butchery of the Alien's life cycle (the gestation of the embryo inside Ripley is particularly loony) to the unconvincing Alien effects (the Alien is a puppet green-screened into the live-action footage, and there isn't a scene in which the effect looks remotely real) to the confusing, protracted climax (an interminable mess of people running through halls and slamming doors). On top of that, new footage is spliced in even when it introduces continuity errors, like Newt's mangled body (originally drowned) that somehow becomes intact when retrieved, or the bull (originally a dog) that spawns a distinctly canine Alien. The pretentious religious overtones are as obnoxious as ever, being little more than an excuse to use "symbolic" imagery in order to give the film a sort of ersatz depth. And there's still precious little true horror - nearly all of the victims in the movie die in the scenes in which they're introduced, with no buildup of any sort and a depressing amount of predictability: when the film cuts to a random, unfamiliar prisoner, you immediately know that he'll die within a minute. Also quenching the horror element is the sheer size of the prison complex - there's no opportunity for the Alien to lurk in the shadows just out of sight, or for the characters to be trapped in an enclosed space with no escape route. (The one time that this does happen, it's made clear that the Alien will refuse to attack the character, removing any tension that the scene might have had.)

That said, it's still a beautiful movie, with Fincher's excellent cinematography and Goldenthal's haunting score complementing the massive, shadowy sets effectively, and the atmosphere is through the roof. Sigourney Weaver and Charles Dance carry their respective roles as admirably as ever, and with a level of depth not seen in the theatrical cut. Sadly, for all of its artistry and craftsmanship, it's still Alien³, and it's saddled with most of the problems that initially plagued it. The Assembly cut emphasizes its good points as well as can be expected, but the flaws inherent to the film are still impossible to ignore, and they weigh it down too heavily for it to be salvaged.

Aeroracer
14th January 2011, 06:55 PM
watch the presigue

its got

micheal caine
christian bale
hue jackman
david bowie

its about victorian magicians and its really cool ending..basically the whole film was a magic trick it will fool everyone who dosnt know the ending..

especialy dummys like me.. :dizzy

SkyneT_t_X
14th January 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi, I also really liked me tron, and already I have also soundtrak, I agree with you the 3D looks very bad and I'd rather see her in an LED display, greetings to everyone :!

Aeroracer
14th January 2011, 10:24 PM
yes tron soundtrack by daft punk is good.there also a concept version to by daft punk thats good also..

14th January 2011, 11:22 PM
Daft Punk Concept version? where can i find this!? :P

the last film i remember watching was Wall-E, god i love that film, so much emotion conveyed entirely through artificial bodylanguage. and theyve got the cinematography of replicating real camera techniques spot on. i could watch it all day.

Sausehuhn
14th January 2011, 11:24 PM
I definitely must see this one :nod Check this trailer :+

"SHARKTOPUS" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87zVkIXNI0)

Thank you so much!

Looks like it even beats „Mega Shark VS Giant Octopus“ in terms of „quality“.
Though, I have to say, I’m looking forward to „Mega Shark VS Crocosaurus“.

But it may be a downer for Sharktopus if there’s not going to be any German dub. Because – seriously – the German dubbing of Mega Shark VS Giant Octopus was so extraordiarily bad, that you should not miss … if you understand German of course.

Shabaneu
15th January 2011, 04:49 AM
I haven't really seen any great movies recently, but one that I really want to watch is 127 Hours. I've just been reading the book, and I'm finding it quite fascinating. Don't know if anyone else will though.

MegaGeeza22
15th January 2011, 07:53 AM
im going to watch 127 hours, i find it hard to understand how someone can get there arm trapped and not be able to pull it free...
I mean its flesh, so you should be able to pull it free because skin tears, you could put your feet either side of your arm and pull. but if there was no room to manoeuvre i could understand! anyway im sure il find out when i watch it!
Il be sat there saying "i could pull my arm out" lol, and annoy everyone around me...8)

Mr Phlanj
17th January 2011, 02:48 AM
i just saw scott pilgram vs the world and i liked it :D

i like how everyone knows all this crazy stuff is going on but they only mention it in passing.

(its a bit silly how throught out the film it's all "Hey i bet you know what game this is from!!")

stin
17th January 2011, 05:01 PM
Seriously?, I thought it was a weird film and I think, they will make another film.

Tomahawk
17th January 2011, 05:15 PM
I watched "The Ultimate Gift" with James Garner yesterday and I can really recommend it! Anybody who doesn't seriously believe that the answer to the question about life, the universe and everything is 42 should watch this movie imo. :)

Colonel
18th January 2011, 06:39 AM
Yes you right, me and my wife did watched it at the weekend and thought, it was pretty crap, it`s like a Blair Witch.

Woah there, Blair Witch is a bloody fantastic movie, set the blueprint for films like Rec and Paranormal Activity.

blackwiggle
18th January 2011, 10:43 PM
I just watched "The Kings Speech".

Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stammer and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country through war.
Pretty good movie overall, although IMHO it did sort of come across [or lapse might be a better word]from a big budget movie into a bit of a BBC period piece in places.

Probably due to editing I think.

Colin Firth is good as the king and gives a strong performance, a bit of a sad case really, but to be honest, at the end of the movie I didn't feel the empathy for his character that I suppose I should of done.

Geoffrey Rush has the better lines though, and his character seems more animated, but I guess he could get away with doing pretty much what he wanted to as he was also one of the executive producers.

manthony_Higgs
20th January 2011, 10:02 PM
Tron Legacy was pretty cool. Wouldn't be the same in 2D though. Scott Pilgrim was pretty rad as well.

DJ Techno
21st January 2011, 05:01 AM
True Grit twice more and twice more good

The Green Hornet. ok so Seth was a good enough actor for the role of the masked hero and the man from harold n kumar. playing as Kato.

i liked his drawing of bruce lee. real good

Faster and Unstoppable trully good action.

have to say it. BEats Takers and the Town.

q_dmc12
21st January 2011, 06:38 AM
Gantz ...maybe, haven't decided yet

Colonel
21st January 2011, 02:06 PM
im going to watch 127 hours, i find it hard to understand how someone can get there arm trapped and not be able to pull it free...
I mean its flesh, so you should be able to pull it free because skin tears, you could put your feet either side of your arm and pull. but if there was no room to manoeuvre i could understand! anyway im sure il find out when i watch it!
Il be sat there saying "i could pull my arm out" lol, and annoy everyone around me...8)

Haha, make sure you keep repeating it loudly, all the way through the film :lol

Medusa
21st January 2011, 03:31 PM
So I watched the 2010 German movie The Red Baron...and even though I knew the subplots were completely farfetched, and kept spotting inaccuracies, and even though the Australian ground gunners didn't even get a mention...
Somehow I came away thinking wow, that was a good movie! At the same time, I'm going to watch all the old WW1 flying movies now (Hell's Angels, Wings, Blue Max...) Especially since Hell's Angels has real flying footage in it :)
The flying sequences in The Red Baron weren't bad, but they didn't exactly have time to do long drawn out dogfights when they had to add in hollywood-style "drama" to the movie.

MegaGeeza22
21st January 2011, 03:48 PM
Lol, im not watching it anymore... no one wants to watch it! and im not going to sit there on mi tod lol, im glad in a way! il be sat there stressing "pull ur f*****g arm out" i think he just wanted fame and disability allowance so he cut it off.
World war films are epic! i remember sitting with my grandad and watching allsorts of black and white war films, good old days... my favourite though is Gallipoli with mel gibson, it has great music aswell.

Medusa
21st January 2011, 03:57 PM
Darn, I was looking forward to reading a news article on your escapade, MegaGeeza!! I couldn't watch that movie at all myself. I'm too empathetic, I'd be one of the ones throwing up/passing out. (Okay not passing out, I'm not that soft.)
Plus, I have been in some claustrophobic situations myself, and I know that momentary panic you get when you're trapped, even if you're in no danger at all, your body says AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! So I'd get into the movie far too much.

Colonel
21st January 2011, 06:37 PM
i think he just wanted fame and disability allowance so he cut it off.

Hahahaha, that's ****ing brilliant. Not often you hear those two things being somebody's aspirations.

mdhay
21st January 2011, 08:50 PM
Well, come to Blackburn and you'll hear differently. :P

Colonel
21st January 2011, 10:28 PM
Go to Burnley, it's even worse!

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/8249294.Crackdown_on_incapacity_benefit_claimants_ in_Burnley/

MegaGeeza22
22nd January 2011, 02:23 AM
lol, i dont think anyone wants to hear a review of that film from me!!
its a bit predictable... a rock falls on a geezas arm, he 'screams' for 127 hours then chops it off! then... "Welcome to hollywood"
If you find anymore good WW films make sure you post them!

mdhay
22nd January 2011, 09:36 AM
Go to Burnley, it's even worse!

Well, That makes me rethink Highercroft entirely. xD

BulletWraith
22nd January 2011, 10:03 PM
on tuesday I saw Mega Mind which was really really fun, I often feel sleepy in movies, but not this one, great choice of voice actors for the parts and the music was so cool, will definitely see this movie again
then that night I saw Tron Legacy in imax 3d which was awesome!, loved the music, the design and the 3D was good most of the time, think I was sitting a little to close, interesting that whilst I enjoyed watching the Lightcycles I never felt myself wanting one
looking forward to Shaolin and watching despicable me on the couch with a friend :)

Stevie

DJ Techno
27th January 2011, 03:39 PM
Comparing the original John Wayne n Jeff Bridges version of the western cowboys n Indians time

The movie True Grit
For those unfamiliar n those who are.

The version Jeff bridges had done after n probably during production of Tron Legacy.

A bit more darker man of the marshal rooster colborn.
A better version of the Texas ranger from the original, didn't remember his name.
Matt Damon played as the new version of him. A lot better acting n action played by Matt then the original actor had done.

The girl in both movies
Yes totally better than the original.

A lot different then seeing a girl looking like a man for the most part.

If u never seen a western or like both mainactors
See this picture

MegaGeeza22
28th January 2011, 07:40 PM
Today i downloaded all of the alien films and watched them 1 by 1, iv never seen them before and they were great!
does anyone no any good trilogys apart from the obvious? matrix/Lotr/starwars...

28th January 2011, 07:47 PM
does anyone no any good trilogys apart from the obvious?..

Austin powers!

The Godfather (might come under obvious though? although technically its not a trilogy its 1, 2 and an epilogue :g)

MegaGeeza22
28th January 2011, 07:54 PM
lol, Austin powers! i watched 1 a few years back but it made me cringe!! i cant stand that bloke haha! the godfather is good though! Im doing the band of brothers harry potter:paperbag and then godfather.. im glad my ps3 has 500gig of memory!

28th January 2011, 07:59 PM
love austin powers, hes such a knob its funny :D, i watched die another day a few weeks ago too and i swear its more cringe worthy than austin powers :lol

Die hard? i know there are 4 but i like to think the latest one doesn't exist ;)

blackwiggle
28th January 2011, 09:51 PM
I watch Black Swan & The Fighter yesterday.

I don't know why Black Swan has got such a good rap, it's a bit of a muddled mess of a psychological drama [thriller it ain't], plus a lot of the cinematography is done with had held cameras [and I reckon no gyroscopic stabilizers were used], I felt sea sick during much of the movie because of the picture bouncing around so much, and the dance scenes were shot far too close to the dancers, made me dizzy.
Natalie Portman looks like a ballet dancer, but much of her "Acting" in this movie comprises her just "Looking Surprise", "Looking confused","Looking afraid" etc.
Quite boring for most of it's length, confusing in parts, the camera issues and the fact that you just couldn't care less about any of the characters makes this a easily forgettable movie IMHO.
And to think that this movie is nominated for best Cinematography, you have to be kidding me.:blarg

The Fighter was a movie that I hadn't really been aware of until Oscar nomination, I'm glad I watched it, it's the best new movie I've seen all year.
It's a far better movie than the similar plotted "The Wrestler" was 2 years ago.
Mainly because it's based on real characters [You actually seen them in the closing credits, then you realize what a great acting you've just watched].
Mark Wahlberg as Mickey Ward is OK in the main role, a tradesman like performance but a bit one dimensional, I supposed Mickey Rourke would of been a better choice but his freakish looks ruled him out to play this part.

Christian Bale's performance as Dicky Eklund, who is the older brother, crack addicted, former boxer and mentor/trainer of Wahlberg's character makes this movie special.
It really is an amazing performance, and quite intense.
Melissa Leo who plays the mother [of nine children, the 2 boys and 7 very scraggy girls] is equally as intense and well acted.
I haven't seen such good casting of the supporting roles since One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, everybody looks and acts their parts well.
The fight scenes are well done and almost seem like as a bit of a bonus.

Colonel
29th January 2011, 03:48 PM
Careful there Blackwiggle, you're coming across as very anti-Aranofsky ;)

I tries watching Black Swan the other night but I was leathered and fell asleep ten minutes in :redface:. Will watch it tomorrow though, I'm expecting nothing less than unbridled genius from start to finish.

phaeton_pl
29th January 2011, 11:00 PM
"Terminator + Matrix + Transformers + I Robot" :)

"Breathtaking..."

"Movie of the decade..."

Endhiran - action movie from Bollywood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysbbPStfWw) :nod

MyNameIsBom
30th January 2011, 02:07 AM
deleted

Medusa
31st January 2011, 04:59 PM
OMG Bollywood for the win!! That was awesome, thanks for posting phaeton!! :o

Colonel
1st February 2011, 06:08 PM
Watched "Buried" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462758/ the other night. What a film, really tense throughout and very un-hollywood. A great performance from Ryan Reynolds as the main character, which it needed to be if the film was going to work at all. Highly recommended :)

OBH
2nd February 2011, 10:25 AM
Watched Shawshank Redemption as my girlfriend hadn't seen it before.
Easily one of the greatest films ever made.

Aeroracer
9th February 2011, 09:25 PM
the new big moma film...hahaha so funny...i laughs for whole film:)

MegaGeeza22
10th February 2011, 04:09 AM
I just finished watching this 6 hour bbc docu drama about rome! its absolutely amazing, i wish i was around in the days of caesar! standing in a group of 100,000 men marching from spain to italy and all across europe, it must of been awe inspiring! it makes my eyes water when everyone raises there swords and shouts before they charge lol, i can feel the passion! 100,000 standing as 1.
not like today...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome:_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_an_Empire
- Urrrgh!! i was just looking for some more ancient rome films and i saw Empire Of Caesar- Master Of The Sword and i thought that sounds good so i downloaded it... anyway i just pressed play and 25 secs in the camera panned over to 2 geezas snogging!! its not the sort of film i was expecting lol, Filth.
Next time i will google the name before i download...:redface:

OBH
10th February 2011, 10:28 AM
Bought "The Fountain" today.
Film by the guy who made Reqium for a Dream and Pi, with music by Clint Mansell.

Should be awesome.

10th February 2011, 11:50 AM
Master Of The Sword ...
Next time i will google the name before i download...:redface:

bwahhahahaha
not the sort of swords you were expecting then :P

and your right about the shawshank redemption OBH, theres just something about the characters that's incredible, though that film probably typecast Morgan Freeman into the 'play the narrator role'

MegaGeeza22
10th February 2011, 03:18 PM
lol nutcase, iv never deleted something so fast, i still go red even now.
i have know downloaded saturn 3 so i will watch that in the early hours:bat as its an 80s space horror...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_3

KGB
10th February 2011, 04:25 PM
I went to see that at the pictures when it came out, Martin Amis did the screen play I think. It's **** but **** in a good way :)

EDIT: Just reading the link and it said it had an R rating! I'm sure I went to the pictures to see this but I must of been too young, maybe it was that long ago that I forgot. Must of been on video then.

MegaGeeza22
12th February 2011, 02:26 AM
KGB1971, i quite enjoyed that film, but it was nothing special. a robot that tears peoples limbs off and chases them around a spacestation wearing a severed human head lol.
It was made in 1980 so u would of been 11? maybe you did watch it at the cinema, people looked older than they actually were back in the olden days lol:P

stin
12th February 2011, 09:12 AM
One day, I decided to buy Blu-Ray DVD of Enter The Dragon, I always wanted to watch that film again due my illness few years ago. Boy did I enjoyed the film?, oh hell yeah, awesome movie. However I decided to watch the rest of the extras and I didn`t realised the extend of extras and time in one disc:clap, the documentary of the life of Bruce Lee and other extras of crews and the rest.

I`m still yet to watch the rest of extras to do, because I already watched well over 3hrs on extra!!! and still more to watch!

I bought that DVD from Amazon for under £8 and it`s worth the money!

Colonel
16th February 2011, 07:51 PM
I watched an old classic for the first time the other night. "Dirty Harry" 8) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/
What a film! One of those where you've no reason for not having seen it. Not many modern films can compare really. Enjoyed every minute of it, sheer class.

"...being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

mdhay
16th February 2011, 07:58 PM
Dead Space: Aftermath. It's good, although short (about 90 mins). It's split into 2D and 3D, the 3D will appeal to Borderlands fans, I'm sure. :)

Autechom
17th February 2011, 08:29 AM
I watched an old classic for the first time the other night. "Dirty Harry" 8) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/
What a film! One of those where you've no reason for not having seen it. Not many modern films can compare really. Enjoyed every minute of it, sheer class.

"

I really had to laugh when that bad guy in the bus hit the kid. Nowadays this would be so taboo. But here, a kid is jelling and thebad guy just smahing the kids face. O_O Well, I know it is not intended to be funny but I had to laugh cause it looked so relenteless.

Hm, I for myself have watched Moon quite a while ago but it was the best movie I saw since quite a long time. Finally a science-fiction movie without laserguns, aliens or war in space. Just minimalistic and "realistic" like the good old 2001.

KGB
20th February 2011, 05:48 PM
Watched The Social Network last night, what a great movie. Never mind it's about the most boring thing ever "Facebook", Great acting, great story telling and great directing. David Fincher has got to be one of the best directors around at the moment, the last three films he has made are outstanding - Zodiac, The Curious case of Benjamin Button and this. Brilliant :)

Hellfire_WZ
20th February 2011, 07:10 PM
Saw Paul today. If you're in any way a fan of Pegg and Frost, or a real fan of classic science fiction, you'll absolutely love it! We spent the entire film laughing our tits off :)

Colonel
21st February 2011, 11:45 AM
I really had to laugh when that bad guy in the bus hit the kid. Nowadays this would be so taboo. But here, a kid is jelling and thebad guy just smahing the kids face. O_O Well, I know it is not intended to be funny but I had to laugh cause it looked so relenteless.

Hm, I for myself have watched Moon quite a while ago but it was the best movie I saw since quite a long time. Finally a science-fiction movie without laserguns, aliens or war in space. Just minimalistic and "realistic" like the good old 2001.[/QUOTE]

Me and my girlfriend both laughed when he slapped the kid, he's an ace bad guy. :g

Glad you mentioned 2001, that's another classic I've yet to see. Will get on it this week, cheers. Moon is superb BTW.

Watched "Megamind" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1001526/ at the weekend. Best kids film I've seen since "Up", really funny and a great take on the superhero film.

Also watched the original "Superman" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078346/ last night. Haven't watched it since I was about seven and thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminded me how bad the Kevin Spacey mess a couple of years ago was :|

R3BU5ER
24th February 2011, 04:23 PM
Black Swan 7/10
Irreversible 9/10
let the right one in (swedish) 9/10
Let me in (remake) 8/10
You don't mess with the zohan (bloody funny) 8/10

Check it out!

Colonel
27th February 2011, 01:11 PM
Bought "The Fountain" today.
Film by the guy who made Reqium for a Dream and Pi, with music by Clint Mansell.

Should be awesome.

Have you watched it yet D.P? The Fountain is one for my favourite films, possibly my favourite Aronofsky film too. Truly a beautiful piece of cinema. And the score by Clint Mansell is easily as good as the one for Reqiuem. Been meaning to get it on cd because apparently the pieces are much better in full, rather than chopped up like they are in the film. Which makes sense I guess.

Aeroracer
27th February 2011, 02:49 PM
i saw 22 bullets..its french speaking film and its really good
its got jean reno starring as a retired assassin in france who is shot 22 times yet survives and has to find out who/why.. really good film.

infoxicated
27th February 2011, 03:11 PM
Finally watched The Hurt Locker last night, almost five months after I bought it - having a new baby in the house really gets in the way of movie watching!

I quite enjoyed it - the way the tension builds in the first hour is just superb. I thought it lost its way later on and suffered from slightly poor pacing/too many lingering shaky-cam shots, but aside from that it was a great movie.

My next unopened Blu-Ray is The A Team - going to get in the beer & popcorn for that one. :)

Colonel
27th February 2011, 03:56 PM
i saw 22 bullets..its french speaking film and its really good
its got jean reno starring as a retired assassin in france who is shot 22 times yet survives and has to find out who/why.. really good film.

That sounds ace! I've always really liked Jean Reno. I have a film on our Sky box with him and my favourite actor Vincent Cassell, "Crimson River". Been meaning to watch it for ages but not got around to it.

Rob - Agree about The Hurt Locker, first half is miles better. Good film though. :)

Aeroracer
27th February 2011, 11:51 PM
A team..ouch..but bright side is you said it was still in its wrapper so you can still take it back and get something much better like charlie the unicorn or anything tbh..

KGB
28th February 2011, 10:03 AM
The A-Team is total class :mr-t:+. I think you had to watch the series when it was on and be a boy to get it Jasmin. Just a total suspend your disbelief film. Anyone think Liam Neeson has had some 'work done'?

Colonel
28th February 2011, 12:14 PM
Balls to that, Jasmin's right. And I say that as a huge fan of the original series.

WolfKill01
28th February 2011, 12:37 PM
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World :rock

Easily one of the most enjoyable movies I've watched in a while. Thanks in part to all the retro gaming inuendo. Only a few people I've shown it to have really enjoyed. Others just brush it off as not funny or hard to follow. And some have even said it was too over the top. What do you expect from a movie about a 23 year old bass player in a band called Sex Bob-omb that has to take on the girl-of-his-dream's seven evil exes. Plus, having read the comics, the movie creates the world of Scott Pilgrim very well. Not to mention that game and soundtrack were both INCREDIBLE. Just a well put together, enjoyable, video game inspired romp through the snow covered streets of Toronto with a little bit of romance throw in. What more could you want

Aeroracer
28th February 2011, 01:01 PM
@col gadafi.."you crazy fool..i aint gettin on no plane":p

i never saw original a-team series but i heard it was really good and everyone loved it..but i heard these same people said new film suks and so did origianl surving cast who said it suked also..

btw how things in tripoli lately..have you sorted out that sight problem you were saying in the news about some kids on drugs causing a few problems but has been exagerated into being a revoulution involving half your polulation :p

Colonel
28th February 2011, 07:11 PM
Cockroaches the lot of 'em. ;)

I watched a cracking film last night, "Monsters" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/. A film about two people trying to make it through "the infected zone", a large area of central America where the US and Mexican governments are struggling to contain a breed of gigantic aliens.

Not your average giant monster film by any means. Difficult to describe really, but well worth a watch. Just don't expect Cloverfield style action all the way through, it's not really the point of the movie.

DJ Techno
1st March 2011, 06:40 PM
That movie had barely a good ending.

Burlesque
Faster
Chain Letter

I'm not a cher fan and dropped liking Christina Aguilera after so many music videos of sexy blonde vs sexy blonde ( Brittany Spears ).

The movie those two were in. Burlesque, I can say its worth beginning to end. Different from moulin rouge.

Faster.
It's dwayne Johnson aka The Rock N better yet Billy Bob Thornton.
It's about vengeance. its got good action. Clean really. Not a whole bunch of alcohol showing, boobs, etc.

Chain Letter
Slasher flick that wasn't so bad in gore, scene, and more.

BulletWraith
2nd March 2011, 08:57 AM
A team..ouch..but bright side is you said it was still in its wrapper so you can still take it back and get something much better like charlie the unicorn or anything tbh..

this coming from someone who watched the 4th big Momas house :lol

DJ Techno
14th March 2011, 05:56 AM
Paul

British comedy and Seth Rogan....
flip a coin on this one.
because its the comical duo from Shaun of the Dead and Fuzz Patrol

but its better than having Zack G, from Due Date and the Hangover play the voice of the Alien.

i can see that not making a good film if Zack G was in it.

Battle LA

yes something Science Fiction with better action and change to it. Then Skyline was out and well its in the same state of California. But without a hype moving turning down the river without a good paddle

Hall Pass

hmmm Any man who is with a girlfriend or married could use one of them. especially the part where its ok to swing, and have a bad conscience on your mind .

Colonel
19th March 2011, 11:41 AM
Watched a few good films of late. Finally got around to watching 127 hours the other week http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/. Cracking stuff, James Franco is excellent and there are some deeply unsettling scenes. One that made me wince and another that actually made me retch.

I also watched The Fighter http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964517/ last weekend. Superb, Christian Bale may be a massive tosser but he really is an immense actor. And Mark Wahlburg puts in a very good performance too. I've seen numerous interviews with people who know the Ward family and they all say it's a very true portrayal.

Apparently there's a sequel being talked about, following Ward's trilogy of fights with Arturo Gatti. Not often I eagerly anticipate a sequel but I'd go to the cinema to see that.

Watched Dark City http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/ for the first time in years the other night. I remembered it being very good, and time certainly hasn't done it any harm. Amazing special effects, and a genuinely original sci-fi film. If you haven't seen it, get it done :nod

stin
19th March 2011, 05:37 PM
I just watched "Old Dogs" from SKYHD anytime, this film made 2009 and the main actors are John Tralvolta and Robin Williams.
Honestly, this is the best comedy film I ever watched for a long time, best double act!, especially their tablets which they do needs to keep themselves right but not to be and I never laughed so hard and I had to rewind to get the rest of their scenes!

Brilliant film!:nod:+

stevie:g

MetaKraken
20th March 2011, 06:57 PM
I need to wait for Fast Five to be released on April 29, which would be awesome, IMO, since I'm a huge racing fan. :nod

DJ Techno
23rd March 2011, 02:55 PM
limitless

hmmm if i could have a pill that remarkably made me use the full potential to my mind. mminus it doesn't say you might develope telepathy or telekinesis. And well the side affects of taking the drug. is stuff to your body, if you abuse it well you get that out of any drug, and you might be the target of some bad unwanted people.

hmm sounds like a great drug that goes with whatever still happens in life!

Red Riding Hood

nice, Sexy, beastly, great acting from a guy who hasn't done a good movie using his theature talent.

Mar Needs Moms

so so

Rango
lol, don't let your children watch this alone! lol

Colonel
7th April 2011, 05:22 PM
I've watched two particularly good films this week, thought I'd share them with you all.

Firstly, "Animal Kingdom" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313092/, an Australian crime drama about a teenage lad who's dragged into his family's ruthless criminal ways, despite his best attempts to escape. This film had sat on my PC for ages but I recently saw it reviewed on Film 2011. The review was amazing and apparently it was nominated for an Oscar or two. I have to say I wasn't disappointed, certainly one of the best films I've seen this year so far.

The second is "Winter's Bone" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399683/, an American film that has quite a bit in common with Animal Kingdom – criminal families, a young protagonist trying to forge their own way in life etc. But also a very different film, it's about a young girl who must find her drug dealing father and get him to court, or they lose their house which was put up as a bail guarantee. At first it seems like it's going to be an hour and a half of despair and misery but it turns into a very tense drama, verging on a thriller in parts… quite claustrophobic with some excellent character development.

I'd highly recommend both of these films, they really are stand-out pieces of cinema. :clap

DJ Techno
9th April 2011, 10:30 PM
I bored on winter bone.

Frozen and Alive the true story of the plane crash of a airplane crashing into the top of a mountain frozen top. N only a handful of survivers.

Frozen another chilling terror where trying to survive in the frozen land is hell.

Catch some of these on blue ray.

The chronicles of narnia 3

Tron Legacy

Black Swan

N a downloaded blue ray of the harry potter and the deadly hollows part 1.

Not even a pot head fan (potter) but I caught the sharp look of how this long book story comes to a climaxing end. All thru the watching n popcorn n colt 45.
( bring on the action n battle for his life! )

My same thrilling words for the Last of the Lord of the Rings and Narnia.

If you people go out to see the Hobbit, the story that originate the ring trilogy.
Read the book first. The Hobbit movie is Supposly this year. After Transformers 3 n Captain American

Colonel
10th April 2011, 09:41 PM
Remember a while back when we were all moaning about the PSN ads for "Due Date"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231583/ Just watched it and fk me if it isn't one of the funniest films I've seen for years. Properly funny, and with some really tender moments too. Bloody great film I swear to God.

Aeroracer
10th April 2011, 10:17 PM
machette...over the top violence and macho bull****

my bf loved it..more of a guys film but i did chuckle at certain parts of the film

DJ Techno
10th April 2011, 10:55 PM
Shoot Everybody loved it for lohans n the other chick nude seen.

Danny two times using the classic 70's_80's porn theme music. when the chick starts it off in the bed.

Seagal being the bad guy. But he went overboard with the dying part.

Seagal the bad guy is great. Cept don't over do the part where u die.

Cheechs role as the preacher slash man with a license to delivery you your last rights with a gun n holy ghost. Thumbs up.

Aeroracer
10th April 2011, 10:57 PM
i agree with all points dj...:)

DJ Techno
10th April 2011, 11:12 PM
Good.

I had a better way to say it.

But it might offend the woman. Here tho. Even tho its tru n what can they do anything about.

The movie was good for my likes. Plus he didn't die in this movie. Like he was killed in Predators. After the first 10 to 13 mins in the film.

Aeroracer
10th April 2011, 11:19 PM
i like him..i know he is ugly but he has something about him.like manly charisma and appeal..

DJ Techno
11th April 2011, 12:47 AM
Good bought to say u offending ugly like me n Danny.

Oh well u need to see that pot heads (potter) movie n blue ray.
Watch his ass finally die or fight to the death.

OBH
11th April 2011, 09:51 AM
Finally watched The Hurt Locker last night, almost five months after I bought it
I thought that was a hugely overated film personally.

Dont get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just didnt understand why critics were dubbing it "the greatest war movie of all time".

Rennfisch
11th April 2011, 10:59 AM
Yesterday, Flint and me were watching "Kazahana" at the cinema. It was a great japanese roadmovie about a boozer and a hostess who were on the ride from Tokio to Hokkaido.

It was a cinema-special because of the japanese Cherry Blossom Festival (I mean "Hanami". If my english description is wrong, please improve me).

runingman111
11th April 2011, 02:49 PM
Solomon Kane - Solomon Kane (James Purefoy) is a 16th century privateer who leads a life of pillage and plunder. It's not until he faces off with true demonic evil that he starts to question all of his past deeds and sets off on his quest for redemption. On his journey, Kane will encounter demons, raiders, masked riders, witches, wraiths, mystics, ghouls, and.... watch yourself :)

Oryx Crake
11th April 2011, 10:13 PM
watching hobo with a shotgun right now! been a long time since I saw so much corn syrup XD

DJ Techno
14th April 2011, 01:58 AM
that movie wasnt worth putting on a dvd r n watch on the 3-d tv

hmmm

if you like horror and vampire films'

you might remember Full Moon Ent
did a series of movies related to the vampires, a bloodstone, and little demon creatures that serve Radu

The movie and the contiuation of it was with the name

Subspecies.
The first one was in the early 90s, around the time Alyssa Milano actually had a sexy body n less of a attitude.

this vampire movie had what you think vampire movies since the ones done by Hammer Films n had Christopher Lee n Vincent price and the actor who played as Grand Moff Tarkin in the First Star Wars.

Subspecies
Subspecies !!: The BloodStone
Subspecies III: Bloodlust
Subspecies: IV Bloodstorm
The Vampire Journals

watched all four of them and was about to find this rare set done by Full Moon Features before they got bought off from some company a while ago.

And one comedy/vampire horror

nobody knew or remember Jim Carry was in a vampire movie called Once BItten. so it was back in the eighties to nighties. but to be real about the movie it was a bit funny for itself.

OBH
14th April 2011, 07:48 AM
Watched Stranger Than Fiction. Was a nice change to see Will Ferrell in a different role. Good film :)