PDA

View Full Version : Studio Liverpool's Redundancy Rampage.

blackwiggle
7th February 2010, 07:52 AM
I got sent an email with this attachment.:lol
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/Turnipbob/th_StudioLiverpoolRedundancyRampage.jpg (http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/Turnipbob/?action=view&current=StudioLiverpoolRedundancyRampage.jpg)

I hope some photos get taken.

abukii
7th February 2010, 11:11 AM
Awweeee...I want to go :sonar
:beer

AG-wolf
7th February 2010, 02:25 PM
lol too bad it's gonna be in europe :P

I don't think that "I <3 SO NY" is applicable to the page anymore hahaha D:

LOUDandPROUD
10th February 2010, 12:58 PM
Ha! I would love to attend too!

infoxicated
27th February 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm in Liverpool for the party tonight - it's going to be emotional seeing everyone again, as it's quite probably the last time I'll see many of the folk from Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis who will most likely be moving on elsewhere as a result of their redundancy.

Really looking forward to it, though - one last hurrah and all that. :)

stin
27th February 2010, 03:43 PM
Have nice time there foxy!

SL will be sorely missed!

stevie:)

YouAreFubar
27th February 2010, 04:14 PM
Have a good one Infox.

Rapier Racer
27th February 2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah have a good time! We await the update upon your return. :nod

ProblemSolver
27th February 2010, 06:59 PM
Take some photos, if possible.

infoxicated
28th February 2010, 07:51 PM
I didn't have my camera with me, but I couldn't really have posted pictures anyway as it would have been a pain having to ask everyone in each photo for permission.

The night went really well - a good few couldn't make it, but there was a sizeable turnout all the same. I don't fancy the chances of getting such a crowd of ex-Studio Liverpool people in the one place again, so it was most likely a final farewell for many of us.

Bon voyage folks.

Rapier Racer
3rd March 2010, 09:01 AM
Sounds like a good farewell. What was Sonys decision in the end I missed it? Is there any life left at the Studio or did they close it down completely?

infoxicated
3rd March 2010, 10:25 AM
A few people who were initially told they were "at risk" have actually got their jobs back, but the majority of folk who were "old hands" at the studio have been culled.

I don't think we'll see another game out of Studio Liverpool - even if they ramped up the staff count again at a later date (which they've done after previous redundancy culls), the studio is meant to be properly merging with Evo at some point and moving to a site in Daresbury.

So pretty much the last remaining connection to the Psygnosis days has faded.

eLhabib
3rd March 2010, 10:54 AM
It's a crying shame.

XpanDrome2097
3rd March 2010, 11:44 AM
In every way you see it, this is a disgusting decision by Sony.
It can't imagine the artistic weight of the folks that has kicked out, isn't it?
Grim days indeed :frown:...

Lance
3rd March 2010, 04:32 PM
Well, that result pretty much stinks all round. Pity they didn't make Sony senior staff and SCEE senior staff redundant. Clearly there is no creative talent amongst that lot.

Mad-Ice
3rd March 2010, 05:10 PM
Amen to that Lance! The future of Wipeout is very uncertain. Here is hoping for better days for all who have lost their jobs.

XpanDrome2097
3rd March 2010, 10:30 PM
I don't remember where I've read this new (I remember only that I've took from an Italian site), but Sony don't want to kick out WipEout franchise from its plans with this action of cruelty...at the end this don't change nothing for me!
A lot of legendary, really talented folks was kicked out, these guys has really changed the concept of ludical experience since their debut happened over twenty years ago, but Sony has taked its decision: a cut on the owl's wings...and this is despicable action has totally changed my respect for Sony...

But for the old Psygnosis guys and the really talented folks at SL:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=153&pictureid=2078

Sun stands high of Coridon 12! You're legend now!

Aeroracer
3rd March 2010, 11:02 PM
if only sony had pumped some real money into SL and gave them the level of advertising crap like state farm insurance had or percy jackson im sure wipeout would have been a bigger hit ...made more cash and SL would be rolling in money..

ACE-FLO
3rd March 2010, 11:53 PM
Xpandrome2097 - I like that, it works as a poster too mate :) nice. :+

BulletWraith
4th March 2010, 01:40 AM
they buy Media Molecule (Little Big Planet) and they have the nerve to do this:bomb
perhaps that'll happen to Media Molecule in 10 years

Rapier Racer
4th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Funny you should say that, I posted the exact same thing 10 years, on another forum.

infoxicated
4th March 2010, 02:49 PM
I got a little something done yesterday to mark the end of an era - fitted in quite nicely after the Redundancy/Reunion/Farewell party at the weekend. :)

Asayyeah
4th March 2010, 03:46 PM
Wow big tatoo, Foxxy the OWL :beer
Farewell to SL

infoxicated
4th March 2010, 03:51 PM
Tell me about it - I thought it would be just over half the size of that, but the guy had done up the template much larger and I just thought... what the hell. :)

stin
4th March 2010, 04:18 PM
Wow!, that is beautiful!!!, originally, I was going to get that but sadly not to be.

You should be so proud of yourself my friend!

stevie:)

Rapier Racer
4th March 2010, 04:25 PM
Thats just awesome :clap:+ Top tribute.

Lance
4th March 2010, 04:54 PM
}applauds Rob{

The colours are really nice and intense. Usually I like only all-black tattoos, but this design has enough spatial separation in it that the design remains clear.

eLhabib
4th March 2010, 08:56 PM
THAT, Rob, is AWESOME! :+ love it!

infoxicated
4th March 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys! :D

eLhabib
4th March 2010, 10:58 PM
Love the saturation of the blue as well - recently got a black and blue tat myself, and it's such a nice color to go with sun-deprived caucasian skin ;)

ProblemSolver
5th March 2010, 12:43 AM
@Rob: Pretty dedicated. :+

I'm going to tat the ZONE logo on my neck, I guess.

Medusa
5th March 2010, 02:49 AM
Oh my gawww....you know until I clicked the thumbnail I thought at first it covered your whole back, LOL!!!
Very nice. Psygnosis: once it gets under your skin there's no shaking it. ;)

AG-wolf
5th March 2010, 03:39 AM
you should get a partial sleeve with a design using cues from Psygnosis' old game title fonts (Shadow of the beast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shadow_of_the_beast_cover_art.jpg) comes to mind), and maybe some Wipeout craft with a swooping ion trail woven in :P

Mad-Ice
5th March 2010, 07:30 AM
What?! That's amazing Rob. I can imagine when it was done, oeps that's big, but wauw! So cool. Now you are an outlaw too.:lol

Greetz Mad-Ice

infoxicated
5th March 2010, 08:03 AM
Heh!

The folks at work asked if I was going to start chewin' tobacco and wearing baseball caps! :D

I don't know if I'd turn it into a sleave, AG-Wolf - I have an idea in mind for my right shoulder and would probably have got that done if it hadn't been for what happened in January with the Studio Liverpool redundancies.

So the Psygnosis owl will probably stay there by itself for some time - it's not the cheapest thing to do, either, so my right arm and shoulder will get done the next time I can afford to splash out. :)

Harvai
5th March 2010, 10:06 AM
Damn Rob, that is simply awesome! Has your arm stopped hurting yet?

Mini thread derail (not really, it has to do with Psygnosis/SL)
I've just sent an email to a Gametraders store in the eastern states of Aus (love these guys, they stock more than the latest releases) about potentially nabbing their copy of Wip3out Special Edition, and sending it over to my end of the country. Here's hoping they can deliver!

Anyway, the whole business with the SL redundancies just sucks. A bunch of talented people work their butts off, releasing some of the best games known to man (well, to this man at least) and the big wigs just give them the boot. Makes me sad, it does...

infoxicated
5th March 2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah, it's only when I brush it that it hurts.

XpanDrome2097
5th March 2010, 12:27 PM
WOW :beer:p:+:rock!!!!
Rob, this is an absolutely awesome tattoo :eek!

Tomorrow I will go to ,make a print on a black t-shirt with this image:

http://www.psygnosis.org/games/agony/covers/lcover.jpg

Game logo on front, psygnosis logo on the back :p.

EDIT: See this, probably the greatest intro music of all the times for a videogame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A09oDAALJc

"Agony" and "Shadow of the Beast" serie are the most favourite games of all the times.
And, of course...WipEout!

Lance
5th March 2010, 05:41 PM
The animation of the water is great. It's amazing how effective a game they could make with the old Amiga. Four-layer side-scrolling, and lots of imagination and programming skill.

They seem to have spelled Nick's name wrong in the opening credits. Tim Wright was there, too. Yay. :)

Such a great legacy Sony has wrecked.