PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Pure Intro in HD?

Sausehuhn
2nd February 2010, 10:21 PM
Does anybody know if the video was ever rendered in HD? I know there were stills (http://www.intothepixel.com/artwork-details/winner_details.asp?idArtwork=477) (open in new window, as the link may resize the current one) in higher resolution than the PSP format, but that's all.

I can only dream of what it must look like :eek

IH8YOU
2nd February 2010, 11:48 PM
Normally I'd say it was developed at a higher resolution and then scaled down - but because the PSP resolution was an uncommon one (at the time) - it may have been done at exactly the same.

Problem is, if they were to create it at - let's just say 1680x1050 - it wouldn't look as good when compressed and cropped to fit the PSP 480x272. Just like switching the resolution of your monitor - it gets all fuzzy. With a launch title like Pure - they wanted the PSP to look as sharp and defined as possible. So I'd venture to guess even CGI pre-rendered videos were created directly at 480x272.

But, if I'm wrong - and you find it - please give me a copy of that intro. I went to far as to rip the Pure intro song into Garage Band - and encoded it - so I could have it on my Wipeout HD playlist. It definitely gets my vote as oen of the best Wipeout intros to date. (and sadly, likely to be the last thanks to (#*$ing Sony shutting down Studio Liverpool)

Frances_Penfold
4th February 2010, 12:01 AM
If you do find a HD version of the Pure intro, do let us know-- I'd love to see it!

iTunes used to sell the soundtrack for WipEout PurE-- no idea why they stopped doing that! The start up song is called (perhaps unsurprisingly) "Boot Up" and it's by Paul Hartnoll (from the band Orbital), I purchased it from iTunes back in 2006. There may be another place to purchase the song now, I dunno. It is one of my favorites, that is for sure.

The PSP supports 480p in TV line-out for the XMB and UMD video but does not support it for games, which are displayed at 480x272 in TV line-out. Not that 480p is HD but it may have been cool to see a non-letterboxed version, if that was possible.