PDA

View Full Version : lots of "Guests" on the forum lately...

AG-wolf
31st January 2010, 12:02 AM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6852/guest.gif
(11k, 800x582)

And one registering apparently as I took that screenshot :P

This spike has been on-going for the last day or so, and I'm more than willing to bet it's due to the Studio Liverpool news. I wonder how many of the lurkers and transients are [ex?] Sony employees scouring the board, or perhaps simply random people trying to use Google-fu to find any more information....

SaturnReturn
31st January 2010, 12:10 AM
Many of them seem to be Google, MSN and yahoo search bots, which are a frequent presence. But I expect some are related to the recent bad news too.

Lance
31st January 2010, 12:14 AM
Searchbots almost always outnumber signed-in members since each search engine can link to several topics at a time. I've seen the yahoo searchbot on its craziest days a couple of years ago looking at more than 50 threads simultaneously. But I'm sure our actual peopleguests are higher in number lately.

AG-wolf
31st January 2010, 12:16 AM
Is there any way to make the forum actually LABEL the web-crawling bots? Another forum I used to frequent would actually show when Google, Yahoo, and etc were browsing around

ACE-FLO
31st January 2010, 12:16 AM
And why not :? I guess quite a few peeps would be here for the recent news as well as other reasons. But um, I'm not entirely sure if "guests" would like to have their source exposed. Part reason why they choose to remain guests maybe? the privacy ... grrt.

Lance
31st January 2010, 12:31 AM
They're already 'labeled' if one is a mod because we can see their IPs. Can you see these also? I don't know if vBulletin has a facility to show other categories on the front page, or to separate the categories on the Who's Online page. SMF does and it's a freebie, so I might think that vB does also. Whether this is a worthwhile thing is another question.

Frances_Penfold
31st January 2010, 01:29 AM
The traffic could also be from gamers interested in the goings-on with Studio Liverpool, but not necessarily hardcore fans of WipEout games. The WOZ has been recently been cited by neogaf, for example.

AG-wolf
31st January 2010, 02:47 AM
was Neogaf the same forum where that G.A.M.E. 3.0 Wipeout HD companion album was released?

Dan Locke
31st January 2010, 06:17 AM
Yes, it was.

infoxicated
31st January 2010, 03:04 PM
There has been a bit of a spike the last few days - pretty much the usual size of increase for when there's some news related to the game.

I've attached a screen grab from this month's analytics report for anyone that's interested.

Lance
31st January 2010, 03:08 PM
Near 30 percent spike in numbers.

The one thing that surprises me a bit is that average time per visit is less than ten minutes.

Also interesting that the average number of pages read per visit is approximately nine.

ACE-FLO
1st February 2010, 02:25 PM
Could be aliens, scanning the forum, thinking "Our plan has worked, we have seen to the disbandment of SL, our Alien spies at Sony performed most excellently :evil now the world will never develop Anti-Gravity Technologies - we are free to roam the skies of Earth, harvesting human beings for the continuation of our species :evil mMwuahahahaaaaahaaaahhaaaa"

What do you think?