PDA

View Full Version : non-Wipeout Psygnosis/SL games...

AG-wolf
30th January 2010, 03:02 AM
considering the recent turn of events, what other Psygnosis standbys do you guys have a special place for in your heart?
I feel bad, my honest connection to the company really rests only with Wipeout and Destruction Derby.. I remember playing a few games back in the day for the Genesis (MegaDrive) which would load the Psygnosis logo when you fired it up, but I guess I never really stuck with those games enough to hold onto their memory. To be fair, though- Wipeout has consumed a notable fraction of my entire gaming existence for the last 15 years, and I fully remember at least two summers-worth of Destruction Derby 2 with a friend of mine back in the day (along with "Top Gear 2" on Genesis, which has some kind of tertiary ties since it was an Amiga derivative, and made by Gremlin, and Psygnosis published at least a few of their games I believe... Patrick Phelan did some amazing music, right up there with Tim Wright and Barry Leitch)

Besides those, this is the only other game I recall with genuine nostalgia (see attached pic). A surprisingly well executed platform/adventure game... good challenge, fun gameplay, decent graphics... I think it has gone almost wholly unnoticed, unfortunately :/

IH8YOU
30th January 2010, 03:12 AM
Lemmings.... Colony Wars.... Wipeout.... Destruction Derby.... and, Wipeout?

I remember the Psygnosis label gracing other games I played back in the day, but I can't put a name to them.

ZOMG! I can't believe I forgot one of the games - and I own it. Rollcage!

Krazy Ivan....

Formula 1.

This list is making me sad. :(

kanar
30th January 2010, 07:25 AM
I remember when I was 13/14, I had an amiga... And Psygnosis gave me my first awesome gaming moments with; Agony, Awesome (fantastic shmups)... Brian the Lion, Leander, Second Samourai, Walker (great platformer), Dungeon Master (3d RPG!), all the Lemmings games (OMG!), Nitro (kind of micromachines game)... And the 3 opus of Shadow of the Beast... All of these games were masterpieces.

I remember I bought the Playstation cos' I was completely stunned by Destruction Derby, & I remember it was a time where PC couldn't compete with Playstation quality... I remember of Adidas power soccer, Formula1, G-Police, Rollcage...

Gah. I'll never forget you guys. Wipeout for Life.

G'Kyl
30th January 2010, 07:40 AM
Oh, so many memories! For instance, the first game I bought for my newly attained Atari ST was Blood Money, which was quite a shooter! Then, of course, there is Lemmings, Rollcage 1 and 2 (one of the best scifi arcade racing games!), Formula 1 (which was fun, even though I was primarily looking for simulation games at the time), Overboard and some more.

Psygnosis kept putting out creatively inspired games - almost all of them a hell of a lot of fun to play! I loved the formula. In fact, if I had to name a favorite publisher it would always be what would become SL later on. Rest in peace!

Ben

abukii
30th January 2010, 10:55 AM
Wasnt ODT Psygnosis'? It stood for Escape Or Die Trying. I loved that game. It was a PS1 game iirc.

Lance
30th January 2010, 07:57 PM
I thought G-Police was an innovative and well-done effort. The only way I ever played was on PC, which was definitely not the best way, although it looked very good.

Dan Locke
30th January 2010, 09:55 PM
I like a lot of their Amiga output. The Shadow of the Beast games were especially beautiful (although the second is practically unplayable). Leander was also good.

Oh, yeah, and Lemmings.

On the Genesis, I really like The Misadventures of Flink.

MrSmadSmartAlex
30th January 2010, 10:17 PM
I really like the Colony Wars games - I have all 3 of them, and still enjoy playing them now and then, even though I finished them all so many times already. I think they still look great as well. :)

I was hoping one day they'd finally revive the series, but that looks even more unlikely now.

blackwiggle
30th January 2010, 10:24 PM
G-Police mainly ,god that is a hard game,controlling those Havoc helicopters through the domes and finishing the objective before time ran out, never did finish it.
I bought one of those Sony dual anolouge flight sticks to play it & Mechwarrior,pity G-Police only supported it in digital mode,which made it useless.
I've most likely got other PS1 Psygnosis games somewhere in the cupboard.

XpanDrome2097
30th January 2010, 10:34 PM
I really loved Psygnosis games, my favourite was:

Bram Stoker's Dracula for NES (But I remember that I've bought this game in every platform available: NES, SEGA Master System II, Game Boy...), Retro Force (PSX), Lifeforce Tenka (PSX), Destruction Derby series (PSX), WipEout series (PSX), Lemmings series, Colony Wars series (PSX), Discworld series (PSX), G-Police (PSX), Psybadek (PSX), Blast Radius (PSX), Shadow Master (PSX, the soundtrack of this game was AWESOME!), Rollcage 1-2 (PSX), Shadow of the Beast series, Kula World (PSX), O.D.T. (PSX, I've really loved this game), Formula 1 series (PSX), Global Domination (PC), Rosco McQueen (PSX)....

And many other that I can't remember now....

And...especially....I was a very little, young kid....at my cousin's Amiga PC...for all these years I've forgot its name, but today I've finally find it....a tear from my eye...

The game was....

Agony (Amiga)

After years and years of searching....what an emotion....sadness and happiness at the same time....

Crob
30th January 2010, 10:45 PM
And many other that I can't remember now....

Might jog your memory: :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Studio_Liverpool#Games

DawnFireDragoon
30th January 2010, 10:52 PM
I really enjoyed the Colony Wars games. They were fun, tough and had great graphics for the PSone. I loved the way the plot switched you from fighting one side of the war to the other in Vengeance.

I can tell you right now playing Vengeance the first time (the demo which came with the official UK playstation magazine) blew me away graphically, with this space battle going on over Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC3zkbVNBeU&feature=PlayList&p=C21CBCE9CFC89863&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

Loved it :)

official site: http://www.colonywars-redsun.com/

blackwiggle
30th January 2010, 11:31 PM
Well that was a bit of a pot stirrer Crob.

To see what I mean have a look at the list in the link Crob posted of all the game Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool have made.

....and were making.;)

ACE-FLO
30th January 2010, 11:33 PM
Hey, it lists "WipEout PS3 (working title)" in the link in Crobs post. Does that mean that there was another game in development? not that it will ever get made anymore... just wanna know like :?

AG-wolf
30th January 2010, 11:43 PM
might have just been put there by some random optimistic person

IH8YOU
30th January 2010, 11:44 PM
I heard about Wipeout PS3 way before HD was mentioned - I think it ended up being WOHD.

I'm not sure if I want to know if they were working on another installment. Ya know?

ACE-FLO
30th January 2010, 11:45 PM
Bloody fantastic :clap they did a good job with it too... Grrt. Now I need to know if the servers will remain on or wha?

blackwiggle
30th January 2010, 11:47 PM
Wipeout HD is already listed ,so this MUST of been a new title.

AG-wolf
30th January 2010, 11:50 PM
"must" is kind of a strong word... This IS wikipedia, we're sourcing, remember.

blackwiggle
31st January 2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah,I see your point,but it wouldn't of been submitted unless there was some truth to it.
That's unless the "working title" represents FURY,pity we don't know when that was edited in.

I get annoyed every time I read that statement by Sony.
It's so "lawyer speak" it stinks.
It's like that movie "Up in The AIR",surprised they didn't fire all by text the spineless F******
Not only because of what happened to the SL people,but the way that it worded makes you think that all of those games mentioned could be canned,or at least put on hold indefinitely

DrMannevond
1st February 2010, 11:00 PM
Wipeout HD is already listed ,so this MUST of been a new title.

I might be wrong here, but I seem to remember at some point before WOHD they announced a PS3 wipeout running on the motorstorm-engine (2007, I think), but then suddenly wohd came along and the "motorstorm wo" was never mentioned again, but it had already been added to wikipedia, and apparently is still going strong.
Edit : Or not. I can't find the page for 'Wipeout (PS3)' which I'm pretty sure was there a few weeks ago, and which referenced the old motorstorm-rumors from 2007.

Dark_Phantom_89
2nd February 2010, 10:25 AM
My favourites by Psygnosis (apart from the Wipeout series) were Destruction Derby and Overboard (anybody remember that one?)

Cerbis
3rd February 2010, 03:13 PM
Am I the only one on the planet who's played Lander? :D
A PC sleeper if there ever was one. It's one of the best underrated/unknown games I've ever played.

Fantastic title with an interesting bit of Psygnosis' history attached to it.
Wiki has some basic knowledge of the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lander_%28computer_game%29

It really holds the same standard as other Psygnosis games and I highly recommend it to people who don't balk at a challenging game.
Hint hint nudge ;)

Rapier Racer
3rd February 2010, 04:55 PM
Another link, been posted in the forums before I think

http://www.psygnosis.org/

Technically speaking Rollcage wasn't a Psygnosis game, they published it but it was developed by the long dead ATD.

Also:

http://www.psygnosis.org/artifacts/wallpaper.jpg

Dan Locke
4th February 2010, 04:55 PM
Well, yeah, most games by "Psygnosis" were just developed by other companies and distributed by Psygnosis. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Wipeout was the first game that they actually made themselves.

Harvai
5th February 2010, 05:56 AM
Had a look through the list that Crob posted and I had a rush of nostalgia upon reading the name 'Armour-Geddon'

I remember playing that on my dad's old Amiga. Man, good times.

stin
5th February 2010, 09:50 AM
Had a good look at Crob`s link!

The Mis-Adventures of Flink!

I used to love that game and I completed it twice!!

I want to buy that game but I knew, it will be really hard to find one!

stevie:pc