PDA

View Full Version : Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?

Koleax
29th January 2010, 07:14 PM
Others have mentioned this and I know I'm one. I'm curious to see how many there are.

Edit: I'm looking for people who would probably not have bought a PS3, if it did not have Wipeout HD.

RJ O'Connell
29th January 2010, 07:36 PM
This game and Gran Turismo 5.

That said, those games, as well as Ridge Racer 7, MotorStorm PR, Gravity Crash, and GT5P have provided plenty of entertainment.

boxman22
29th January 2010, 07:37 PM
Others have mentioned this and I know I'm one. I'm curious to see how many there are.
Nope. But it was one of the main reasons i bought one and it is currently the only game i play on my PS3.

SaturnReturn
29th January 2010, 07:42 PM
No, I bought it because it was shinier than the other consoles. But it's the only game I still play, other than when I force myself through others just so that I don't feel guilty about having potentially wasted money on them, i.e. Prince of Persia recently...actually, even having played all the way through that it was still a waste of money for me.:-

Compared to the thrill of a tense tournament, or that insanely intense last lap of a potentially awesome TT...well that's just it, nothing in any other game compares to the feeling of those, not in my book at least.

Hellfire_WZ
29th January 2010, 07:45 PM
It was certainly the main reason I went for it. I've got plenty of stuff now both on Blu-Ray and PSN that justified it, but there was the factor of PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility that sold it for me on top of the new library. Feels nice to have one console sitting here instead of two as well :)

ACE-FLO
29th January 2010, 07:46 PM
YES. EXCLUSIVELY FOR WIPeOUT HD FURY... I also own LBP and MGS4 but they don't count as they were gifts from my GF... I dont own any other games, and I only ever play WipEout... SO YAH... I'm that guy also... :( gut me while your at it :lol

EDIT: just read Hellfires post above mine, and yeah - the BluRay thing was also a factor in getting the PS3, I now own a few BluRay dvdees so I guess all is not lost :( still sad though :(

Koleax
29th January 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm looking for people who would probably not have bought a PS3, if it did not have Wipeout HD.

Yeah, Ace! I even bought two, because my first one YLOD'ed.

ACE-FLO
29th January 2010, 08:11 PM
Sheesh, You serious Koleax? Damn, now thats hardcore commitment, I commend you Sir! :)

Yeah, I used to play Pulse a lot online on the PSP (obviously) but I did something pretty stooopid - I went CFW and couldnt go online ever since, so first thing I did was get a WipEout HD Fury on BluRay disc, and then went and got me a PS3 the next day... that was me mate. Havent even picked up Pulse since I got me PS3... if it broke though, I'd just get an xbox 360 live coz I couldnt justify a spend of £250 for another console that really wont develop/deliver the game I want in future (wipEout), but who knows eh? Someoen out there has got to think its worth investing in wipEout, it's a masterpiece - and that is reason alone to not let it get lost to the archives of computer game classics... rather a modern claasic which always feel contemporary - and cutting edge all in one. That is wipEout!

Temet
29th January 2010, 09:09 PM
ACE, I already told you, just f*cking upgrade your PSP like a classical update and you'll get you online pulse back!

I recently bought a PS3 and it was for WOHD. This is my only game.
I also bought a PSP (well, 2) some months ago for both WO.
I also bought "Crisis Core : FF7" and "FF Dissidia" as I used to be a FF fan. Kind of disapointed on "CC" but I admit "Dissidia" is a totally original kind of game so I'm happy to have it. I bought GOW on PSP but it sucks... didn't play it a lot.

Honestly, when I bought the PS3, I also thought to blurays (don't have one yet but waiting for amazon to deliver 2 from US (incredibly cheaper than in my stupid country)) and to FF13. From what I read, I probably won't buy FF13 (I want a world map, more liberty and strategic fights).
I'm waiting Amazon UK to deliver "Batman AA" also (again, price is half compared to France...). But I won't touch it before I get platinum on WOHD ;). I always liked the Batman character and the game is said to be good.
I keep an eye on "Heavy rain" also, don't know what to expect.

If WOHD would have been on XBox, I would have bought a XBox. I would probably have bought a PS3 one day even without WOHD.

That's my story man ;)

ACE-FLO
29th January 2010, 09:15 PM
I did, dude - its bricked! :( no matter, HD FURY forever... or until they turn the servers off! gah!

SolidSnake_gr
29th January 2010, 09:26 PM
the only reason i bought a ps3? no
one of the reasons? yeah :)
i bought a ps3 for the following games (plus the reason i am a loyal sony fan, and i hate microsoft...): final fantasy xiii, metal gear 4, gt5 , wipeout.

oh, btw wipeout pure was the reason i bought a psp at launch (back in sep 2005...)

AG-wolf
29th January 2010, 10:25 PM
"Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?" Yes.

I subsequently bought;
- Gravity Crash - because Tim Wright did the music
- Noby Noby Boy - because the Katamari games were fun
- Super Stardust - because I liked Geometry Wars on 360
- Pixel Junk Eden - amazing when you're drunk/high
- Katamari Forever - see Noby Noby Boy... Katamari Forever sucks though, every bit as disappointing as the PS3 itself
and I genuinely don't think I bought anything else for it.

Seriously, if it weren't for Wipeout HD, I would never have bought the PS3. I think it is a terrible product; poorly designed, no fore-sight at all during development, not user-friendly, the list goes on for ages.

I don't even care about the blu-ray BS; I was personally hoping HD-DVD would "win the war" because every movie on HDDVD was on average $10-$15 cheaper than its BR equivalent. I just download all my movies now in high-def.

Edit: didn't buy Stardust after all, but I meant to.

phaeton_pl
29th January 2010, 10:27 PM
I played Wipeout on my friends PS3 about one year ago. That was my first contact with WO series so flying on Venom with pilot assist on was pretty hard. :brickwall
Few weeks later I was impressed with game physics, i've noticed that the game experience gets better with player's skills. I was lost to Wipeout already :)

I bought my PS3 in March 2009 to play Wipeout HD. It's the only game i have since.:) (I played other PS3 games but didn't like them)

I was thinking about buying PS3 before but i probably wouldn't do it.

Aeroracer
29th January 2010, 11:03 PM
no but wohd was the only reason i played on my brothers ps3.
a game where the playing complimented my music i listen too.no other game that caters to music as well.

IH8YOU
30th January 2010, 12:03 AM
I walked straight by the PSP near the time it launched without a car, until I saw "Wipeout" on a tiny little disc.... I walked out with a PSP and Wipeout Pure - the ONLY title I bought for it.

I bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy 13, Ace Combat (never happened) and Wipeout.

Launch PS3 died - bought another to continue my addiction.

So yes, my PS3 is only for HD. That and Folding @ Home to keep my room warm in the winter...

Connavar
30th January 2010, 12:13 AM
No, but 90% of my ps3 gaming time has been spent on wipeout hd.

AspenExcel
30th January 2010, 01:20 AM
Definitely. The only other game I've played since I got the PS3 is flOw which is almost as visually (and aurally) stunning as WipEout HD. WipEout4ever! :rock

DeepMix
30th January 2010, 05:45 AM
actually no, i bought it for the gran turismo franchise and some other games, i didnt even know a wipeout was going to be released, i saw trailers and everything, i never imagined i would love this game so much.

DarkseidMD
30th January 2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, Wipeout and the fact that PS3 is a Blu-ray player are the only reasons I even bought the system...and Wipeout HD was far more enjoyable than I had imagined it would be.

leungbok
30th January 2010, 08:45 AM
and Wipeout HD was far more enjoyable than I had imagined it would be.

"Is" !! ;)

kanar
30th January 2010, 09:11 AM
Lol Leung, of course Sony didn't erase hd from our hard drive. They just all backstabbed us yesterday. As a pure Sony fanboy since the first Playstation days, I didn't buy my ps3 for hd, but I spent 99% of my gaming time on it. I bought almost any so-called AAA games on ps3, but I've always been disappointed by their mediocrity compared to this state-of-the-art game. Now I'm not a playstation fanboy anymore, I'll never forget what they did yesterday. Wipeout hd is now the only reason why I'm turning my ps3 on, but I'll play Ace-combat or Forza3 on xbox soon.

stin
30th January 2010, 09:20 AM
Yes, that is the reason I bought PS3 for HD.

Now, I`m starting to play Motorstorm again but not much atm due I`m too busy doing my house project, like new central heating and new electrical fusebox, which was done last week and I`m working on kitchen atm and then I will fit a new front door. Yes I will take pictures from start to finish.

Will I play WipEout? hell yes all the time, cos, I must have covered nearly 2000 hours of playing ALL WipEouts!:paperbag

stevie:)

ProblemSolver
30th January 2010, 09:27 AM
Not for me, since I got a PS3 right at the start. My primary purpose using the
PS3 is for Cell programming. I'm about to develop a simple computational
fluid dynamics solver, simpleCFD (http://sites.google.com/site/rbreitrueck/simplecfd), for educational purpose, which will later be
parallelized over all SPEs. All the work should end up in a book for
undergraduate students of mathematics, computer science, and engineering,
where the mathematics is threated rightfully and where one also gets a working
source code to see everything in motion. :)

Dark_Phantom_89
30th January 2010, 09:30 AM
I did, dude - its bricked! :( no matter, HD FURY forever... or until they turn the servers off! gah!

Do not say such words! ;)

leungbok
30th January 2010, 09:46 AM
...but I'll play Ace-combat or Forza3 on xbox soon.

Arghh, even to punish Sony, don't fall in microsoft's claws, mate !! :lol

Chill
30th January 2010, 12:32 PM
**** YEAH this is the main reason for my purchase of the PS3!!!!!! Actually, I puchased a total of 3 PS3s because of this game... I 80 GB PS3 and HDTV for my father, so that he could play me from long distance... I new 120 GB Slim PS3 for my brother, as well as Wipeout HD Fury for the both of them.. and my 160 GB PS3 of course... Still gonna buy a big HDTV when I get back from downrange in Iraq as well!! Otherwise, I wouldn't want such a large HDTV...

I love Wipeout and have worked hard as well to support it, and this makes SL some of my heart space... I support SL with 101% of my heart for hualing this game out of the gutter of fusion... Amen...

Constrictor
30th January 2010, 02:17 PM
Yes! Just because of WipEout.

Played some other games, yes, but without W'O'' no PS3 at this site

Amorbis
30th January 2010, 02:28 PM
WipEout HD wasn't the only reason I bought a PS3, but was one of the biggest factors certainly. I bought a PS3 in the April of 2007 in hope that WipEout and Metal Gear would be out within a years time, but both games had some delays, which actually helped me get into a few other games such as Oblivion and WarHawk.

I was always likely to get a PS3, but WipEout HD made sure I got it quite quickly. ;)

Koleax
30th January 2010, 03:02 PM
(whoops, accidentally posted in this thread instead of another)

crawdad62
30th January 2010, 03:15 PM
I held out until there was a clear winner between the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war and when that was clear I bought the PS3 for Blu-Ray primarily but I also wanted two games. Wipeout and Gran Turismo. Of course I was bummed when there wasn't a Wipeout for the PS3 and Gran Turismo wasn't a full release (will it ever be?). But since Wipeout came out I've played it continually since. I play other games but only casually.

yeldar2097
30th January 2010, 06:24 PM
Lol Leung, of course Sony didn't erase hd from our hard drive. They just all backstabbed us yesterday. As a pure Sony fanboy since the first Playstation days, I didn't buy my ps3 for hd, but I spent 99% of my gaming time on it. I bought almost any so-called AAA games on ps3, but I've always been disappointed by their mediocrity compared to this state-of-the-art game. Now I'm not a playstation fanboy anymore, I'll never forget what they did yesterday. Wipeout hd is now the only reason why I'm turning my ps3 on, but I'll play Ace-combat or Forza3 on xbox soon.

+100

Except for the bit about xbox (:P), well said :+

OneAVGNFan
30th January 2010, 06:41 PM
WoHD was one reason for me getting a PS3 on Christmas. The Price and console life was superior in comparison to An Xbox 360. they were the main reasons. I wanted to get WoHd once getting the PS3 and I did.:)

AurigaAB
30th January 2010, 07:02 PM
-Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?

Yes. Also got a PSP for Pure / Pulse.

ACE-FLO
30th January 2010, 07:12 PM
I saw this video and funny as it is, I was reminded of the reason why I bought te PS3, so I thought I'd share it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TM3GbxaNLI enjoy ;)

ZenDJiNN
30th January 2010, 07:53 PM
-Was WHD the only reason you bought a PS3?

Yes. Also got a PSP for Pure / Pulse.

Same here - PSP first, with Pure followed by Pulse. I only got my PS3 just before xmas, and still haven't played online yet!! (Too busy, but it's coming soon) :D

AG-wolf
30th January 2010, 07:59 PM
lol now that I think about it, I originally bought a PSP only for Wipeout Pure too :P I bought Pure before the PSP was even released, then I grabbed an old PSP-1000 model on launch day (and subsequently returned it FIVE TIMES until I got one without any dead pixels). I never bought any other games for the thing, though. Portable gaming isn't really important to me, and I eventually got a Slim so I could play Pure on my TV... I wish Pulse weren't so different from Pure, I never liked it from the day I tried it at a friend's house.

Cyberio
30th January 2010, 09:12 PM
MGS4 was.

But this is now a reason to have a PS3, is the game which i played the most.

slimjim
30th January 2010, 09:14 PM
It wasnt the only reason i bought mine there were a few games i wanted and WO HD was one of them

Eloï
30th January 2010, 09:27 PM
WO was one of the exclusives that made ps3 far more appealing than 360 ( along with the last guardian ).

Amon
30th January 2010, 09:44 PM
Of course not, wipeout hd is a great title but the ps3 lineup is full of beatiful games

blackwiggle
30th January 2010, 10:06 PM
It wasn't the only reason I bought a PS3 ,that was Blueray, but it was the reason I bought it when I did ,when I heard that HD was coming out I bought one that week & a 360 at the same time [the Blueray V HDDVD hadn't been sorted,I was covering myself],the 360 has had just 2 games played on it since Oct 07.
Apart from a few demos from the PStore I basically only play HD/FURY on the PS3 589.46.18 hours,73212 laps worth to be precise, 5913 of those laps online.

Which I reckon would be roughly 50% of the amount of time I spent playing 2097 and equally around the same amount as WO3 ,WO3SE & FUSION.

PURE was the only reason I bought a PSP ,I've only got 3 games for the PSP and PULSE is one of the other ones.

To say that wipeout has been a major part of my life would be a huge understatement .
That means Psygnosis /Studio Liverpool has as well,for over 15 years.
It truly feels like I've had a death in the family.:(

Z°ⁿε
30th January 2010, 11:07 PM
I bought PS3 for gran turismo series. But i later found out how amazing WipEout was..

YoshiXL
31st January 2010, 10:42 AM
WHD wasnt the only reason, but was the main reason i got a ps3. God of War 3 is the other reason =P

alexk9
31st January 2010, 11:46 AM
I bought it because I'd bought all the PlayStation consoles before it, but I'm sure glad that I got a PS3 because of WipEout HD!

Cerbis
31st January 2010, 09:53 PM
My reasons for getting a PS3 were essentially Wipeout HD, flOw and Metal Gear Solid 4.
That... was about it. I've picked up a few titles here and there afterwards, but those were about the only original reasons.
(Wipeout HD was... probably the biggest reason :rock)

I've rented a few Blu-Ray movies too, after the fact.
Blade Runner Final Cut on Blu-Ray is pretty much the best version of the movie there is!

Mu5
2nd February 2010, 08:41 AM
In short....yes :D

stinkleroy
2nd February 2010, 12:14 PM
WHD wasnt the only reason, but was the main reason i got a ps3. God of War 3 is the other reason =P

Agreed :) Plus LBP, Motorstorm, blu ray player, free online play and not giving any more cash to Bill Gates ;)

Mateo
2nd February 2010, 02:17 PM
My main reason was F1 CE (then I found out about Wipeout:g).

F1 and Wipeout are the games I played most in the last years. ~250h F1 and ~300h WOHD at the moment = ~550h Studio Liverpool games...:frown:

Sch@dows
2nd February 2010, 02:49 PM
Although WOHD was the main reason behind my PS3, but it was not the only one. I already planned to buy a next gen console and most of the exclusivities which interested me were on PS3 (WOHD, F1 CE, MotorStorm 1, MGS4, etc.)

At PS1 time, Wipeout was the game which made me buy a PS1 instead of a Saturn (altough I was a huge sega arcade game fan).
At PSP time, Pure was the reason I bought a PSP (I found other really good games only later).

Connavar
2nd February 2010, 10:48 PM
Let's hope that Sony releases a Wipeout HD 3D for the PS4, even if it's exactly
the same game but running in 3D with slightly better image quality, at least
it would be a reason for me to buy the PS4.

Sch@dows
2nd February 2010, 10:49 PM
Let's hope the patch will be available this year on PS3 >__< (H-O-P-E)

IH8YOU
2nd February 2010, 11:40 PM
*Takes a deep drag off of crack pipe*

How about Wipeout 2097 HD-120HZ-3D?

Don't worry, that was just a fictional "pipe dream". :dizzy

Avenger2197
2nd February 2010, 11:55 PM
I got one for many reasons, not the least of which was WOHD. F1 CE was one of my first buys, along with RR7.(both great!) Ahh, the good old days of dreaming of Wipeout flying fast on my PS3.

Now we just need another WO to keep us going until the PS4! lol

Edit: Now THAT is a dream, IH8YOU! All I can say is "Yes Please!!!!"

ProblemSolver
3rd February 2010, 08:01 AM
Let's hope that Sony releases a Wipeout HD 3D for the PS4, even if it's exactly
the same game but running in 3D with slightly better image quality, at least
it would be a reason for me to buy the PS4.
And we would get the same problem again. Remakes do not sell if they don't
have the scale of an, for example, God of War. They are just a goody at best,
and therefor only possible if everything runs smooth and steady, ca$h-wise.

Sch@dows
3rd February 2010, 08:28 AM
I don't think the sales of WOHD were low because it was a remake.
I suppose (strictly my guess) that most of the psp games owner who also have a PS3, have bought it.
The WipEout series is simply not as popular as it was on PS1 with 2097 and 3.

ProblemSolver
3rd February 2010, 09:58 AM
@Sch@dows: Units sold means nothing if you don't incorporated the overall
development cost.

Xavier
3rd February 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm just about the same as Sch@dows; WOHD was my main reason for getting it, but I was also lokoing forward to Final Fantasy XIII, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, and a couple of other games. In fact I've spent more time playing FFXIII than WOHD in the month that I've had my PS3 -- not because I don't like Wipeout, but because I still play a lot of Pure on the PSP while commuting to work.

I'm still gutted that SL is gone so soon after I discovered the wonder that is WOHD. I sure hope something happens to save the franchise. Fortunately there's enough material in HD and Fury to keep people playing, and the online community should last for years.

yeldar2097
3rd February 2010, 01:32 PM
I bought a PS3 because I'm a dirty fanboy and to be perfectly honest I had no idea WOHD was coming out on it when I bought it.

But it's definately the only reason I still have a PS3 :nod

FACT

ProblemSolver
3rd February 2010, 05:49 PM
... FACT
copy *.*

ACE-FLO
4th February 2010, 01:28 AM
i had lost interest in gaming until I saw Pure in hmv, had no idea wipEout was still being made - got so excited that I bought the game right there (was last copy in store), bout a week later I got paid and bought a PSP too, and the rest is ... :+

FACT

why Sony never chose to market Pure/Pulse/HD Fury, is something I just can't get my head around ... Sony = :brickwall

Frances_Penfold
4th February 2010, 03:10 AM
I did buy my PS3 only because of WOHD.

I have however really enjoyed several other games on the console (Demon's Souls, Lumines Supernova, Little Big Planet).

Xavier
4th February 2010, 12:04 PM
Come to think of it, WO was one of the big reasons for me to get a PSP as well, and was the first game I bought for it. (Both the PSP and WO Pure were already old by this time, and IIRC, I only paid about $8 for a sealed copy on eBay!)

aethernet
6th February 2010, 05:30 AM
WOHD was the main reason I bought a PS3. But I also am enjoying AC4A a lot, and I'll probably get FF13 when it comes out.

kEnder242
7th February 2010, 07:08 AM
Yes.

WOHD was a $300 game for me, a steal IMHO.

AG-wolf
7th February 2010, 02:29 PM
lol try $1530
42" tv - $1100 (at the time)
PS3 - $400 (at least it's a CECHA model)
WOHD - $30

obviously the TV has since been put to other uses, but I wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't for this game XD

Golgofier
7th February 2010, 02:37 PM
Well no, but WOHD has come to be pretty much the only game I play on the PS3.
I actually didn't really have gaming in mind when I bought it, I mostly wanted it for its potential as a media center + BD player but when WOHD came out it pretty much confirmed that this was the best "gadget" purchase ever :lol