PDA

View Full Version : Forum vs actually racing???

trufflefunk
28th January 2010, 07:14 PM
Seems to me everybody spends more time writing and arguing (i know its not all petty arguments but seriously...CFW and ofw barely differ it aint worth it) on this forum than actually racing and playing the game we all love, i have a look online nearly everyday and its like a ghost town nearly everyday (apart from the supreme Sunday sessions :g) come on guys and gals dont be afraid of the odd loss and look forward to odd win.........just get online and race :+

MrSmadSmartAlex
28th January 2010, 07:27 PM
Haha! True, and I'm a little guilty of it sometimes too. I'll start playing a few weekday evenings again, and pester everybody to race on Pulse :D. It used to be amazing back in March last year - always somebody to race, even though I was total :turd back then. :lol
There is certainly more action on the Pulse section of the forum than on the servers, so yes, let's all play online more often!:rock

edit: I can't play online tonight though, because I'm going to your brother's house, where I'll likely play some WOHD. So not a great start to this for me... :lol:lol:lol

Frances_Penfold
28th January 2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I think this is a general true-ism about gaming message boards-- people sometimes more time *talking* about playing than actually playing.

One notable exception around here is Lance, who is part of the moderator team. That guy has MONSTER online gaming sessions but almost never posts. That Lance, he is one crazy old man :rock

In all seriousness, I think that WOZ members do spend a remarkable amount of time playing WipEout. That includes some of the most prolific posters --check out the rank tables versus post counts tallies, for example. Also, some people were very active with the older games but play the newer games much less, yet still are active members of the community here :)

trufflefunk
29th January 2010, 01:38 PM
I am talking specifically about Pulse here. HD has a fairly vibrant online scene where as Pulse gets very very quiet and it is a shame as racing real people is so much more fun and interesting than playing the embarrassingly poor A.I and playing time trial is all well and good but it gets a tad lonely playing on your own all the time, but maybe that is just me.....

MrSmadSmartAlex
29th January 2010, 01:52 PM
Ha! Yes, the AI on Pulse is just impossible to lose to :lol, which is why I never play Single Race mode - that and the fact that it relies too much on luck to get top times (just restart until you get 100000000 turbos XD).
Personally, I really like doing TTs as well as online racing, but there's not many people doing either these days. I'll carry on TTing regardless, but I do miss coming home from a hard day at work, making a cup of tea, putting my feet up, and getting pissed off at being smashed about by weapons online! :D

ACE-FLO
29th January 2010, 08:51 PM
I'm definitely guilty of spending more time on the firum than actually racing, but when I do go online on HD - its a monster session, at least 3 hours minimum. I only play when I know I'll have adequate time to race (3 hrs minimum) and won't be disturbed by phonecalls and the like :lol so I usually start my HD Fury sessions after midnight GMT :lol

Wasn't always like that though, SmartSmadders will tell you that whenever he went online, he'd usually find me... and yeah, those March sessions right up till August were kinda awesome mate! I have to say, they were the best laughs I've had with wipEout... really, with Fusion 2 player coming a close second :paperbag [runs from the lynchmob]... HD FURY is in a different category for me though. I dont compare it to other wipEouts... it's just better. But the online races aren't as much fun as Pulses sessions used to be - they are a lot more competitive, and weps are serious killers in HD Fury... but I love it! LOVE IT!

So Smad, if you going round Trufflefunks bro's yard to play HD Fury, i'm sure you'll get to like it as much as I do...

Sorry for going OT btw :)

MrSmadSmartAlex
29th January 2010, 09:43 PM
I could get to like HD Fury a lot, sure (I already do quite like it), but there's no way I'll ever prefer it to Pulse! :pirate
Just had an amazing online session with Trufflefunk, James_sp, Kappeskopp, vitamindrink, and a few other players who joined some races, so maybe Pulse online can pick up again, before the servers go down (XD joking, ACE ;)).

ACE-FLO
29th January 2010, 09:48 PM
WOW, all those cool pilots? Man, I agree - it doesnt replace Pulse, but it offers an excellent alternative for online - excellent... and weps off rules in HD too...

Anyway - all those top names, my old Pulse buddies!!! Damn - I think I'll get a PSP in the next week or so, phuck it, done deal man - ACE-FLO will be Licking the Air currents around the nose of your ships before long...

AirLicker is back... watch this spACE :g

[initializing.... mkIII AIrLicker Issue AG-SYSTEMS, Powering Up... this is 5litre, "AirLicker, reporting, all checks - ready. Locating crowd" :sonar ]

:lol

Mr Phlanj
29th January 2010, 10:59 PM
dont be afraid of the odd loss and look forward to odd win.........just get online and race :+

i never let a loss break my spirit, i have a record of 1 win to 99999 losses against mrS but it's still sooo fun when we are all in a game.

@ace: you should get a psp man i have herd good things about you but there's a new guy in town now and i cant let some AIrSlobber get on my windscreen to ruin the inchis im gaining on mrS :P

@Everyone: we could start up a weekly TT/SL like they do on HD to keep people playing and talking when its not the sunday sesstion

AG-wolf
30th January 2010, 03:14 AM
Nobody plays Pulse anymore, it's the worse of the series, lower than Fusion and even 64.

lol just being a jerk ;P But I seriously hate the game *cough*

I wish I could have gotten into the Pulse scene, because there are a LOT of dedicated pilots here on the forum, but the game itself never felt "right" to me. Even after playing HD so much, I've tried to go back to Pulse and give it a second chance, and I still hate it every bit as much as the first time I laid hands on it :/

ACE-FLO
30th January 2010, 03:21 AM
AirSlobber, :clap:clap ask smadders bout my cannon accuracy ;) mind you, i'll have to "pull an Arnaud" and let you pass before spraying up your hull, but its a manuver i thrill in executing :lol...

... but I am out of practice, like for months now :redface: so um, hold that thought while i run away :paperbag :lol

MrSmadSmartAlex
30th January 2010, 11:36 AM
@AG-Wolf - That's cool, I'm sure you like a load of things I hate as well. ;)
And I guess hating Pulse is a good reason to not play it. :lol
But you're wrong - it's the best of the series! :pirate

@ACE - XD You're not going to be pulling an Arnaud on this guy, mate (unless a 0.1s Arnaud still counts :lol). Everybody got faster since you last played, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the chaos of the Sunday Sessions! :D

Mr Phlanj
30th January 2010, 11:50 AM
am i missing something??? whats a Arnaud?? Us farmer folk aint ever 'erd o such tings

MrSmadSmartAlex
30th January 2010, 12:12 PM
Arnaud is Asayyeah. Apparently, "pulling an Arnaud" is waiting for somebody to catch up if you're miles ahead. I guess it's either so they think the race is still on and don't quit, or to weapon them. Anyway, it's just ACE being cocky, because you called him AirSlobber. :lol

Mr Phlanj
30th January 2010, 12:17 PM
ahhh I've fallen victim to asayyeah's "ambush" before, but i hope i didnt come off as angry in my post before because i know its all in good fun :D

and ace you better run for the hills *shakes fist*

ACE-FLO
30th January 2010, 12:36 PM
Pulse pilots always have a good laugh eh? You've all gotten faster? ... not sure I wanna come back (jokes)

Does infax still play?

Mr Phlanj, Sir, you didn't come across angry my friend - no - but you do display the same cheekiness as Pulse generation 09 pilots do... which is a good sign imo. If Smadderz says you are 0.1sec trailing most races, then buddy, all I can say is 'i'll Air - Slob your windscreen when you come round to lap me'... :D that's called pulling a disgrACEful move ;)

Lance
31st January 2010, 01:28 AM
I actually have never played online at all, but have put in uncountable hundreds of hours playing offline. At least 200 hours just in the first 3 weeks that I owned SoulCalibur IV. Not to mention uncounted hundreds and hundreds of hours on GT, WO3, WOXL, WO1, and several other games on PSX, and then theres a huge number of hours on my beloved Dreamcast, which is sitting about 4 feet from me right now, but not plugged into the TV. Currently the X-box is connected to it.

However, I have probably spent as much time on the WZ as I have on playing the games.

Xavier
5th February 2010, 02:47 PM
Keep in mind that for some of us, it's possible to post from work, whereas we couldn't possibly bring a PSP to the office!

Actually I myself can't get my PSP online anymore thanks to some wonky router settings that, among other things, only allow one connected device at once. So sometimes I'll disconnect the computer and put the PS3 online, but even that's rare.

What I really want to do is race Pulse online while having it connected to my TV so that I can actually see the action. Does anyone else do that? Is there more lag?

MrSmadSmartAlex
5th February 2010, 03:00 PM
I know trufflefunk plays online on his TV sometimes, and also Triple Lei, and both say that there's no lag on their setups (although Triple Lei used to complain about lag on his old TV). So I guess it all depends on your TV. ;)

Frances_Penfold
7th February 2010, 05:34 AM
Regarding the lag, it does seem to vary depending on set-up. I have had really good connections between the PSP and my little 19" LG 480/720p TV-- but other WOZ'ers have had noticeable lag with other TV's and monitors.

Any chance that you can borrow the TV out peripherals to try them on your home set up?

Xavier
10th February 2010, 12:27 PM
I actually have them -- a "D-Terminal" (not sure what the English word for this is; in Japan they call them D-tanshi -- connecting the PSP and TV. The problem is getting the PSP online here at my new place; if I knew it could be done *and* that Pulse on the TV would work, I'd probably try.

Actually, I think I'll try tomorrow anyway. I miss Pulse!

Cyberio
10th February 2010, 01:23 PM
I play Pulse PS2 man... i don't have PSP so i cannot race online in this game.

Anyway, isn't there some "online meetings Pulse" thread somewhere? Maybe there are people who are still playing it.