PDA

View Full Version : lol Canada

AG-wolf
25th January 2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiwBwBL4Qo

This is awesome :P
<3 Canada, for the record. Just too cold for me.

How many of you were expecting this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oUveHKld5s
:P

blackwiggle
25th January 2010, 09:14 PM
I was expecting this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

DJ Techno
25th January 2010, 09:41 PM
(I'm messaging this off my phone, so here it is)

Ha!

Ok denmark, the uk, spain, germany...
I've heard their stuff of what looks like hip hop type of style. But where in world did he get using the canadian mountees!

I thought Dudley do Right/ren n stimpy. Nope. This is a new one for a big saying.

Yes canada loves their law enforcement so much.
That the guy spitting rap and rhymes for it. Even made me, see the video three times.

Dan Locke
25th January 2010, 10:10 PM
How many of you were expecting this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oUveHKld5s
:P
Actually, I was expecting this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=C_TfBbR6L0M).

SaturnReturn
25th January 2010, 10:15 PM
Just to be sure, this is a thread to celebrate the joy that Canada brings to the world, right?

I remember watching that Mountie guy in that programme, Due South, when I was a kid. He was awesome.:+ So was his dog.:+

RedScar
25th January 2010, 10:17 PM
mmmmmmmmm thats right, you love us cause we are awesome. Don't you forget it either :)

First Canadian to post :)

You guys should see the hockey commercials we have running in prep for the Olympics. Shits ****ing epic, although if we don't place (like last Olympics) someone's head is gonna roll lol.

eh?

Kyonshi
25th January 2010, 10:25 PM
O.M.F.G.:eek

This is laaaaaaaaame. Yeah Yo Huh huh 1-2 1-2 mic check. What a ****tard. One of the crappiest song ever. And this dumb**** dares to wear a Québec Nordiques cap while singing this... :naughty:evil

But its ok, i don't feel that much offensed, since i live in Québec, not Canada 8)

RedScar
25th January 2010, 10:31 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, kyo, your one of those frenchies :P Sure its lame but it still awesome as hell.

Kyonshi
25th January 2010, 11:02 PM
Hehe Red, i thought you'd already figured this out since a long time :P I know i don't speak french here obviously, but since my location is written in french, i thought it was a good hint :D

Now i know you're from Ontario, so before anyone starts a war; you're a cool buddy and i have nothing against you!!! :beer:lol

Task
25th January 2010, 11:18 PM
Love it, he raps like the Beastie Boys!

infoxicated
26th January 2010, 08:53 AM
I remember watching that Mountie guy in that programme, Due South, when I was a kid. He was awesome.:+ So was his dog.:+
That was a great program. And it was a wolf.

I loved the way he'd say "Thank you kindly!" all the time. :D

Such a shame that when it was cancelled, the guy who played the cop had signed to do something else before it was un-cancelled, so he could only appear in a few episodes and the chemistry of the show was lost.

AG-wolf
26th January 2010, 11:16 AM
@Saturn
Totally :P And yeah, Due South was awesome, I loved that show :D I think he had an albino Shepherd though, not a wolf...

SaturnReturn
26th January 2010, 05:45 PM
I thought it was a Husky, but wouldn't have known much better at the time anyway. That's just a dog that's very very close to being a wolf right? Was the line about being a wolf actually from the show? I seem to have a vague memory of someone saying, "nice dog", and Fraser correcting them with something like, "He's not a dog, he's a wolf". Did that actually happen or did I make it up?

Maybe he was supposed to be a wolf, but from this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyy1EfM6nzg) I'd definitely go Husky.

AG-wolf
26th January 2010, 05:51 PM
oh damn, I really didn't remember him as well as I thought.. yeah he's definitely some kind of husky or malamute mix. maybe he was at least supposed to be a wolf in the show.

kanar
26th January 2010, 07:29 PM
This classified guy (oh btw, didn't know there was only white people in Canada) should be more concerned about things like Boreal forest http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/oct/29/canada-boreal-forest-carbon-vault instead of being proud to be one of the worst polluters on earth. So not lol Canada. Red card. But I'm confident in the future of this country though, wise guys like Rezatron or Vart will make things change for sure.

Z°ⁿε
26th January 2010, 07:54 PM
Canada's patriotism isn't well understood by the rest of the world. But go to a Canadian hockey game and you will understand.

kanar
26th January 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm too tired to answer that. My 2 cents was; we just have one earth. We're all the same, and such obsolete concepts like Patriotism/Nationalism/Chauvinism led us to this simple state of fact;
-At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day
-The poorest 40 percent of the world’s population accounts for 5 percent of global income. The richest 20 percent accounts for three-quarters of world income. I'm not going to quote the whole internet. It's deeper than a Canadian hockey game. Now you will excuse me, I have some speed laps in the pipelines. And no pipelines in the Boreal forest.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

RedScar
26th January 2010, 08:42 PM
Patriotism/Nationalism is not an obsolete concept. It is evil in most cases, but Canadian's think its not and we are proud of our country (and our beaver). I am not exception to this, just look at my tattoo for instance (excuse the leg hair). Probably the two biggest reason for our push for a nation image are that we are a former British colony, and second is that we are so close to the USA.

But yes, Z°ⁿε is right. Go see a Canada vs whoever hockey game, even in another country and you will see a Canadian. This Olympics pay attention to the crowd in a Canadian game. Excuse me I have to go get my Tim Horton's coffee and :donut

Kyo you know I'm joking buddy :P

Z°ⁿε
26th January 2010, 09:10 PM
right, i totally agree with kanar. But human's naturally are territorial. If we all could one day become 1, i believe the world could be civilized. But because of certain qualities and beliefs people posses it will never, ever, happen.. sadly.

kanar
26th January 2010, 09:16 PM
Redscar, sorry this is a forum thing and furthermore, an english forum so I haven't time to make proper english posts & develop constructively my arguments. I didn't want to blame Canada at all, must admit it sounded like that, so my bad. It was more a reflexion on all our western countries. Yeah sadly these concepts aren't obsolete, and the global crisis even exacerbating them. Don't get me wrong, I like sport confrontations, and the pure spirit of -fair- competition; Football world cup, basket-ball, olympic games... -and Canadian hockey team for sure lol- But something beautiful becomes always something really ugly with human beings. Not the majority of human beings for sure, but the minority will always f***k the stuff up.

Cheers Z°ⁿε (omg too hard to write your name lol), and sorry, was a bit lame with my last post

Kyonshi
26th January 2010, 10:25 PM
@Kanar

This guy should be more concerned about the fact we're one the worst polluters on Earth, yes. And to add to the joke, 90% of all corporations exploiting the oils sands... are foreign and sell the extracted oil to interests out of Canada. Bravo. And the prime minister Harper looked like a ****ing tool at Copenhagen this year. No harm nust be done to his little friend$ of Alberta. Lobbying, when you hold us...

Another thing he should be more concerned, along with massive multi-ethnic population that should have been featured in his lame act is the fact that there's 2 official languages in Canada, which is english and french. This said, never once he did mention the distinct province of Québec - where Canada was born under the colonisation put up by french navigator Jacques Cartier, starting in 1534. And to add to the insult, he wears a cap of the former NHL team Nordiques, representing the capital city of the province, Québec, where french is the official language.

Also, patriotism isn't an obsolete concept, mon cher ami. It's not only about territorial instincts, its also, and mostly i would dare to say, a matter of identity as an individual and a society, and cultural history, which is legitimate to any nation, may it be French, American, Canadian and Québécois. Its important to claim our identities via a respectful form of patriotism. This way, people remember our realisations, what we were, what we are right now so our kids will know were to go later in life and what must be done in the interest and survival of our identity.

The way i see patriotism nowadays is more about preservation of our cultural heritage so other nations see us as accomplished and independent vis-Ã*-vis each other. Its nothing about exclusion or bringing down other people. Of course, such stupid thing like Patriot Act isn't giving patriotism a nice picture, but at least there must be people who still believe in the right kind of patriotism to perpetuate the idea that a nation evolves with every other one, not only by its own.

@Red

I know you're joking dude, no worries! Cheers!:beer

Lance
26th January 2010, 11:01 PM
I think I'll just call him Z [no slight intended], but 16 keystrokes is just a bit too much. Of course, I coUld just copy and paste. :D

AG-wolf
26th January 2010, 11:31 PM
jesus christ, this ballooned into much more than I expected lol :P

learned a few things too o_O

kanar
27th January 2010, 09:03 AM
Kyonshi, I fully agree with your input. I’m well aware company like TOTAL are extracting oil in Canada, sadly. Because of “money rulez the world”, such alternative solutions like Solazyme's (http://www.solazyme.com/) one are delayed, just because it’s cheaper to destroy our environment, instead of building a better future for our children. Regarding patriotism, I don’t want to go back in an argumentative debate, my english is too weak for that, but eh eh you’re also speaking French so what about a good political discussion together one of these days lol. So I’ll just end with this funny story;

In Barcelona, Catalonia (Spanish region), you can contest almost every parking fine, due to the fact most of the road signs are written in Catalan only (official Spanish language is Castilian). So the regional Catalan government prefers to not collect parking fines, instead of putting road signs in double language. This is just a funky example of where claiming his -regional-identity to the max can lead us to ludicrous situations . I’ve a lot of awful examples (this one was cool lol) in mind too, but there’s no need to relate them I think. My 2 cents was I just hope one day we could all follow the United States example, I mean a global federal government, and regional states (with strong identities that’s ok lol), all over the world. There’s way too much disparities between all of us, depending where you’re living. Of course I completely agree with this part of your post I’m going to quote here, cultural heritage and so on;

The way i see patriotism nowadays is more about preservation of our cultural heritage so other nations see us as accomplished and independent vis-Ã*-vis each other. Its nothing about exclusion or bringing down other people...// ...but at least there must be people who still believe in the right kind of patriotism to perpetuate the idea that a nation evolves with every other one, not only by its own., but we desperately need a global, harmonized -juridical, social, economical, political- context. I took the US example cos’ I’m seeing the European Union as an epic fail sometimes, each government having his own –selfish- policy, leading to cacophony. Ok enough with all these philosophical questions, AG-wolf, lol, wasn’t expecting that myself, so I’m stopping now, I promise.

Medusa
31st January 2010, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone. This is a truly great thread, and not only for the LOLs. I give the Classified guy credit for being able to rap over the anthem...and mocking the Heritage commercials is pretty good. I always loved those when they came on tv, they were always so random! You'd recap the Halifax explosion one commercial break, then you've got that wacked out basketball one the next. If I recall there was even one on the loon. I was always thinking no way, seriously???

And the Lumberjack song...several members of my family have been loggers (lumberjacks). That was pretty funny stuff thanks for posting. (Yeah, my own flesh and blood helping to strip the forests bare. Gotta love that:blarg)

In all seriousness though, I'm with kanar. Patriotism and nationalismy serve to divide the world and ramp up interracial hatred. It may unite those within an area, but it generally increases their pride in that area in some strange vague sense enough that they think where they live is who they are. Although that certainly influences who you are, the fact that I live in Canada is pure chance. I was born here. There will be a woman exactly my age who happened to be born in Haiti, or China. There is no reason for me to brag about where I live as if it increases my self-worth.

I admit I say "eh" sometimes when I'm not thinking. I sometimes tear up when Montreal (Canadiens) are out of the playoffs, even tho I don't even watch hockey anymore. I used to go to Timmy's any chance I got. (But now I make good coffee at home, lol.) Also this is a country with much beautiful scenery, many wonderful people, wonderful cultures no matter which part of the country you are in. But that does not make Canada any better than any other country, we are human beings and we are all equal!!!! As someone ahead of me said, they are just borders, lines on a map. Those can change at any time, just look what happened after the two world wars.
And what allows wars? Patriotism/nationalism/pride. I know that's a very basic outlook but can anyone really argue that? If there was no patriotism there could be no war.

I don't know if other Canadians on here have noticed in their areas, but I see the Canadian pride increasing greatly the last few years compared to when I was younger. More and more people are showing a "this my country so its actions are right" type of attitude. What they are proud of is changing, for example the rather drastic change in use of the military from primarily peacekeeping to actual war. (Oh wait what do they call it now? Anti terrorism, rebuilding a country, lol...) Along with that the attitude that everyone should conform to the same standards "if they want to live in Canada they should do what all Canadians do". This was big news awhile ago on the east coast, a principal changed the anthem singing routine and people went absolutely rabid! It was really scary the way people reacted to that. What happened to allowing for cultural and religious differences? That doesn't seem to matter anymore here--the loudest majority pipes up and even on our national news, usually the loudest (and typically bigoted) opinion seems to resonate with the anchors as well. It's sad.

So what I'm trying to say is I don't care about my nationality besides its relevance to my passport and identification. I consider each and every person on this earth my neighbour and hope to see the day when everyone in the world can look at each other without bias. The end.

Sorry for putting so much heavy stuff in this topic which was intended to be fun...I'm going to go look at the beaver on my nickel. You know, those videos forgot to make fun of the umpteen million different kinds of quarters that the mint keeps firing out. I'd hate to be a tourist coming here, I'd always be wondering if my quarters were real or not.

q_dmc12
1st February 2010, 03:55 AM
Well I liked it. :)

And now I'm off to read the main part of the thread... :p

If we all could one day become 1, i believe the world could be civilized.

Earth would but.. well, "there would go the neighborhood."

I mean a global federal government, and regional states (with strong identities that’s ok lol), all over the world. There’s way too much disparities between all of us, depending where you’re living.

You plucked the words directly from my mind! O_O I have had that same vision since high school. I like the way you think!

@ Kyonshi: Well put. :)

Lance
1st February 2010, 06:21 PM
The problem with the "In unity there is peace' idea is that humans are genetically built for tribalism, the dividing of large numbers of people into many smaller and smaller groups, until we have reached the smallest groups of all, our families, our friends, and even down to no group at all, but just our single self. Those genetic imperatives are built into every cell of our bodies. Only if the expression of those genes can be suppressed will all the patriotism, clubism, fanboyism, civic pride, and football riots be eliminated. We are structured internally to form groups with which we identify, work to advance, and defend. Too frequently to the death of ourselves and others.

Eliminating tribalism would unfortunately create other problems by weakening social organisation and co-operation, because tribalism is what makes us work together for the benefit of the group to which we have given our allegiance. I would hope, though, that loss of tribalism would allow our rationality to be strong enough to see the benefits of co-operation and work for that despite the loss of the inbuilt genetic emotional impulse to work together with our own 'tribe', whatever form that tribe takes, whether a country or a club of people sharing a hobby.

Medusa
1st February 2010, 06:53 PM
"We are structured internally to form groups with which we identify, work to advance, and defend. Too frequently to the death of ourselves and others."

I believe humans can suppress the expression of their genes, if that is truly what causes this and it is not mostly due to cultural and familial training. I also believe the true key is to identify, work to advance, and defend all humanity--ie, the key is to learn how to identify with each and every other human on the earth, instead of focusing on the differences in opinions, race, sex, nationality, sports teams, and all other such things we see cause violence every day. Oh wait, what am I forgetting as a cause of violence-most religions of course.:twisted

We can choose to identify with humanity instead of certain select groups. That is not to say we won't identify more strongly with those sharing the same interests, it is only to say that we can identify with everyone.

We all have the choice of reason over emotion.
What can I say, I like to oversimplify. ;)

Regarding Canada...
You might live in Canada if:
You've had to stop on the highway to remove street hockey nets from your driving lane.
You hear the word "snowbird" and think of aerobatic fighter jets, seniors flying south for the winter, or Anne Murray. Or you think of Anne Murray flying a fighter jet south.
You know who Gord Downey is, can sing along to his lyrics, and even understand what they're about sometimes.
"Going clubbing" could involve dancing or seals.
You claim to despise the word "eh" yet find yourself using it on occasion.
You're happy to hear of highway construction zones--because you'll get to drive on nice pavement for 2 whole months before frost heaves and sinkholes appear.
LOL Canada. XD

mic-dk
1st February 2010, 07:55 PM
So, the One Government is postponed until we make contact with the martians (or the Alpha Centaurians)?

That should be enough incentive to get us united in one tribe.

I have a friend who has worked several times in Canada (in the *cough* oil business *cough*) and his hiking/riding/camping tales are quite interesting. I'm definitely going sometime - no matter how dorky the USAnians try to make you look :D

Lance
3rd February 2010, 05:29 PM
Izzy said: "I believe humans can suppress the expression of their genes, ~snip~"

In our present form, we have had more than thirty thousand years for this control of ourselves to become the dominant form of our social interactions. In the century immediately past, more millions of people were intentionally killed than in the entire previous thirty-thousand years. I do not believe that self-control of the tribal impulse will occur. By transforming ourselves into a different species, there may be hope to do better than we have done.