pass there sell buy date
finished
retired
im taking a break
i found a better game so bye bye wipeout
im too busy to play
im bored with game now..

etc...

to write about how taking long periods off playing or simply giving up then returnin to play effects players in different ways..

here is how it affected me..

i played tonight ..first time since end of september.prior to playing today i forgot the tracks and even most of the names.but when i put on the game and played i suddnly remembered every track all its curves even evey pad.almost like subconsious level.everything came back

but on negative side i thought venom looked like phantom to me.so my break has made the game look really quick to me and i turn too late.

i found tracks i was really good at i have lost a bit on but track i was weaker on i have lost nothing almost like i never stopped playing.

what experiences have other players had who have taken big breaks from playing...:nod

thats how my time out effected me.

Vartazian
24th January 2010, 01:22 AM
Im just terrible now.

Thats about it.

Aeroracer
24th January 2010, 01:27 AM
thats so weird ..i was just thinking about ..what ever happened to varti ..and you turn up a minute later..
how are you anyway...

ProblemSolver
24th January 2010, 01:35 AM
Good to have you back! :sonar

I had a break as well for about seven weeks till the end of December. But
interestingly, the break made me much stronger, I'm much more competitive
now than ever before. I've set PBs on several tracks (online) and did two new
ZONE records (Metropia R and Modesto R) within two or three days. It seem to
me that a given break (long enough) can smooth out a stiff pattern that has
evolved over time in one's mind, which offers one the possibility to readjust
certain things to become better in the end. You may perhaps experience
something similar after about one or two weeks. :+

Koleax
24th January 2010, 01:36 AM
After taking a break I've been racing with ships I hadn't before, like Qirex, Auricom, and even that Assegai with paper-thin shields. I figured if I'm going to suck anyway I might as well do it in a new, interesting, and challenging way.

HD Piranha on Eliminator is badass.

Aeroracer
24th January 2010, 01:42 AM
thx ps

i understand what you say and agree with you.dont really understand how but you are right about benifits of breaks in certain areas of the game.

Dan Locke
24th January 2010, 02:03 AM
i found a better game so bye bye wipeout
Blasphemy!

What is it?

yeldar2097
24th January 2010, 02:12 AM
How long/short a period of time are we talking here?

Back in my heyday (always wanted to say that :g) 6hrs felt like a long break :lol

leungbok
24th January 2010, 07:48 AM
I had a break as well for about seven weeks till the end of December

January has more than 7 weeks :eek :eek :eek

Mateo
24th January 2010, 04:02 PM
I "retired" after Fury was released... long time ago. Just played now and then when I was stoned and very bored. :|

But I guess I'm coming back in February. Old Feisar. Old Tracks. **** Fury. 8)

MR-RICO84
26th January 2010, 12:35 AM
Just got back into it after getting sucked in to KZ2 online world for about 2 months. I look at my old times and am at least 3 seconds out. My excuse is I use full motion control so really have to be in the mood to sit bolt upright dead straight in front of the telly. Still cant get sebenco reverse for arcade perfect either AAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrgh wimper.

Medusa
31st January 2010, 10:12 PM
Wow are there any has-beens still checking the forum that are as out of practice as me? I never even managed to pick up a PS3, I haven't hardly touched wipeout at all in probably the last year if not longer. Pretty much since I put down Pulse and sold off my PSP. Finances but mostly time are huge issues. Lots of people that have stopped playing likely find the same-you only have so much time, and eventually it comes to the point where if you keep playing WO, you have to be satisfied with sucking at it since you don't have quite enough time to keep practiced and in form. I hate to play badly, so although I could probably play about 1/4 or 1/2 hour a day (if I'm really lucky) I just don't. It's not enough time to keep in good form.

Life changes. Priorities change. No matter how much you love wipeout, people and basic necessities tend to stay the higher priority. If you let your gaming get in the way of your relationships life is gonna bite you in the...
That's my has-been story for the day. Hope you enjoyed. :D

Sausehuhn
31st January 2010, 10:23 PM
Good read indeed. And true. Even though I have probably more time left, I rarely play PS3 these days. Okay, I found the time to play a bit WOHD last week; but I remember me not touching the PS3 for Weeks. It's fun to come back, though. I don't mind losing too much then, because it's the race that makes fun. And I really like turning WO's SFX to mute, playing a nice tune while rushing over some zone tracks. That's kind of relaxing.

Anyway. I ordered a Wip3out Poster today for my daily portion of WipEout. Now I only have to find a wall to put it on to, otherwise my plan won't work. ;)

boxman22
1st February 2010, 12:58 AM
I sometimes take a few weeks or even months break as well. I find that it is easier to get back in shape by playing a few rounds of rapier before i move on to phantom speeds.

LOUDandPROUD
10th February 2010, 01:57 PM
I just started playing again over the past month after about a 5-month hiatus. I just had so many other games on my shelf that were being neglected due to my WO addiction. I figured I can ease my way back in and get a couple of hours in a week though, while still playing through the rest of the games that are sitting on my shelf. It's working out well so far and feels great to be playing WO again. After a month of playing, I finally feel like I'm coming back into form and performing like I used to. I'm not totally there yet, but close...at least I'm competitive again. :)

il_mago_di_Doz
10th February 2010, 04:59 PM
January has more than 7 weeks :eek :eek :eek
I think pb meant from early november to the end of december ;) :)

leungbok
10th February 2010, 06:26 PM
Who knows ? Zone addicts are living in an other dimension ! ;)

TheFrostE
10th February 2010, 06:57 PM
I "retired" after Fury was released... long time ago. Just played now and then when I was stoned and very bored. :|

But I guess I'm coming back in February. Old Feisar. Old Tracks. **** Fury. 8)
Technically, Fury AND HD are all old tracks , since they're all old wipeout track remakes ;)

but on to the subject of taking a break for a while, i wouldnt say im washed up or a has been (still holding my WO 1 NTSC feisar TT records) :rock
but i dont play as often due to the fact that i have a more mature lifestyle now living with my girlfriend and having bills and things to pay to keep us living where we are. i simply cant dump hours of play into ANY wipeout game anymore. and also, there are other games out there that i enjoy playing as well, not to say they are better than wipeout but they are still fun nonetheless. i do get on once in a while though, but mostly to play offline with my older bro or when we have company at the new place.

cya around someday,
FrostE out.

Z°ⁿε
11th February 2010, 04:14 AM
I partially agree with Mateo.

Fury sorta ruined it for me.. Mainly because i liked the clean white/Blue interface on HD. But on the upside there's more to do in zones, so..

ProblemSolver
11th February 2010, 04:28 AM
@il: Yeah, that's what I meant.

@le: There might be a ZONE dimension, who knows...? xD

@Z: You know that you can switch back to the standard HD interface, right?

kanar
11th February 2010, 11:10 AM
...but i dont play as often due to the fact that i have a more mature lifestyle now living with my girlfriend and having bills and things to pay to keep us living where we are. i simply cant dump hours of play into ANY wipeout game anymore...

Yeah that's true mate, world of wipeout is awesome, but sooo unreal Kingdom of Heaven. The wife, the job, the bills, all the real life comitments... That's why I had to stop with the tournament stuff. + the fact I'm considering hd as one of the hardest game I've ever played, you need as you said, to dump hours and hours and hours to improve yourself, something I can't do anymore. Struggling in the rankings is foolish when you have a very busy life. It's so addictive though, to the point you don't know when to stop, always delaying your retirement. I should stop lol. After grand finale, I really should move on, at least for a while. -private joke with Kaori- ==>mate, as you can see, I finally posted here, thanks for the link LOL

OBH
11th February 2010, 11:50 AM
I am a big time "has-been" on the multiplayer circuit. Hopefully my ISP will finally sort their lives out and i can get involved again. Though its been a long, long time since ive played WO with anoyone other than my lonely self on the track :)

I thought id move onto something else, and i tried, but i still havnt found anything that gives me to same kick, so i wont be going anywhere for quite some time :beer

Aeroracer
11th February 2010, 07:12 PM
maybe we should make the has-been league....

all of us has-beens can compete with each other to see who is most past their sell by date.

rules are

if you lose the race you are the best has-been so therefore are the real winner as this would be a has-been competitition.:hyper

ProblemSolver
11th February 2010, 07:32 PM
Pretty funny idea! :):+

TheFrostE
11th February 2010, 08:21 PM
may the BEST ...er WORST racer win!!! lol that would be funny :p see a bunch of the old timers flying around the track all crazy like an old granny on the highway who doesnt use any signals O_O

OBH
12th February 2010, 08:12 AM
We'd all be going backwards, and races would last weeks :):dizzy

Medusa
12th February 2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah that is a great idea. Would be hilarious. (But my PS1 can't keep up with you guys, lol.)

Aeroracer
13th February 2010, 02:26 AM
Mmmm by the sounds of it Medusa may win this competition as she hasnt played wipeout hd she is not only a Has-Been but also a never-was so who can really compete with that....

I played online tonight and i thought i was ok...i forgot some of the tricks and BR's but did ok.so either i havnt lost my skill or i never had any skill to lose...

but really who cares..it good fun and i get to listen to all my favourite songs while playing my friends which is whats most important for me..:nod:nod

ACE-FLO
13th February 2010, 03:35 AM
well put Jasmin, I feel the same. I just hope the headsets didnt sound like schitt through a drain pipe. would be nice to have working voice chat!

EDIT: lol, Jasmins post below mine :D

Aeroracer
13th February 2010, 03:41 AM
lol...ace..get of the thread ..its for has-beens only ..your not allowed here...yet:nod

zeeZ
15th February 2010, 12:01 PM
Has-been? Has been gone!
I had a break for 4 months, I'm totally back to "le suck" right now :g Especially on the new tracks.. Talon's? Modesto? Boomcontendereliminated..

ProblemSolver
16th February 2010, 01:26 AM
There you are! :) "le suck"? xD