PDA

View Full Version : Modnation Racer

KGB
20th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Just saw this on the ps3 Blog, looks like LBP for racing. Might be worth a punt when it comes out.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/01/19/modnation-beta-release/

If they are not going to give us the classic tracks updated then we might be able to redo them ourselves. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0uKjEr-Tw

Dan Locke
20th January 2010, 07:59 PM
Looks like a great idea, but I can't stand that cartoony plastic look that's become so prevalent. I want to be Michael Schumacher or Danica Patrick, not some bath toy with a mohawk.

mdhay
20th January 2010, 07:59 PM
Any way you could have something other than a car? (hint, hint :g)

blackwiggle
21st January 2010, 04:51 AM
There is going to be an open Beta trial of this available from tonight,but only for the first 100,000 people.
So be quick if you want to get it.

UPDATE
The beta has just gone up at the store ,it's a 2015mb download,you also won't be able to use it till tomorrow.

KGB
21st January 2010, 01:54 PM
The speed it's going, it might be next week. :(

TheFrostE
21st January 2010, 03:04 PM
i agree with locke...its looks so childish and goofy. LBP is far gone now as well. Mod Nation Racer will become the same...all good races and hard work from people will be buried by pre-teen race creators that are just huge jumps and explosions. For me its a no buy...i wasted too much time on LBP actaully TRYING to create something nice only for it to never be played. The racing mechanics in MNR are probably terrible too, since the game is based around creating things im sure much less time was put into the actual physics of the racing.

Its a no buy for me , MAYBE ill try the beta if i can get it, but with a summer release...have fun competing with much better titles IMO Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, FF14 Beta and 3d Dot Game Heroes

Lance
21st January 2010, 04:37 PM
IF I were ever to get this game, it would be to create my own tracks just for me offline. What tracks others create wouldn't even come into my decision.

BulletWraith
21st January 2010, 06:25 PM
why such a prude lance?
I think it'll be pretty sick, or atleast it has a good chance
to me it looks like a real competitor to the early mario karts

for me I loved LBP, didn't put any proper time into the lvl editer as it looked to time consumeing(though I really should have as I loved the player created levels), but for Mod Nation it looks like a piece'a pi:hyper:hyper to put tracks together

if the handling's anything like MK/CTR/Speed Freaks I'm definitely picking it up
though it will be fun to use, the speed at which you can make tracks will leave online wide open for copious amounts of crappy tracks, thats my only major gripe, that and I don't see the option to use all my sack girls and boys

-zer:donutshen

Lance
21st January 2010, 06:36 PM
How does not wanting to waste my time on tracks that are not to my taste make me a "prude"? What dictionary are you using?

BulletWraith
21st January 2010, 06:59 PM
meaning your a bit conservative/keeping your boundaries pretty close
how can you know something is unquestionably not to your liking unless you have tried it?
(okay there are things like that like putting your hand in acid etc but I don't think this falls under such an absolute)

Lance
21st January 2010, 07:29 PM
Generally I can tell when Monster Trucks, demolition derbies, anything like Transformers movies that are all bang but no thought, etc. will not be worth wading through. I have many many interests, and I am an old man; who knows how much time I have left? I would prefer to filter out all that does not give me pleasure; that is not prudery; it is living the best I can.

BulletWraith
21st January 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not a fan of wading through garbage either, so with most things like this(movies/books/art instillations etc) I spend a little time researching, there were so many bad user created levels for Little Big Planet, but a little research got me some excellently crafted ones that I enjoyed much more than the originals:nod

take a risk, you might enjoy it

KGB
21st January 2010, 08:29 PM
Horses for courses.

I think I could get into this big time even though there are a few problems with the beta, the music has gone tits up a the moment! But I'm liking the handling and the course building is great, they have nicked so much off LBP, stickers, hand gestures and the characters themselves.

Not sure if this will be massive but I think I will get it when it comes out.

Dan Locke
21st January 2010, 08:37 PM
i agree with locke...its looks so childish and goofy. LBP is far gone now as well.
Gotta disagree with you there; I still think that those little hacky-sack people are great at being cute without being saccharine.

why such a prude lance?
I don't think that you know what a prude is...

blackwiggle
21st January 2010, 09:37 PM
I had a quick play with the MNR beta last night,It's still buggy atm .
I found myself driving while partially embedded into the track,just my head was above the ground, it might of been caused by me editing the track?
From the brief amount of time I spent driving the cars/carts it's very basic controls,forward & brake,I don't know if or what adjustments might be available as yet.
I hope you can tweak the steering as it's twitchy atm,a small input gives a large change of direction,it uses the Left stick,acceleration is R2 and brake L2.
It takes an age to change modes atm,as all info on what your actions were in one mode is seemingly being sent to the developers when you change it to another.

By the way,If you didn't get it last night your not going to get it now,all 100k downloads have been got.

Lance
22nd January 2010, 02:02 PM
zerOshen, my interest in Modnation Racing is pretty much entirely in the ability to create and race on MY racetracks, not in racing online or on the tracks designed by others. Just for high quality racing, I am sure that there are better games for that, some of which I already own, but I've not yet seen a more promising and likely to be fun track editor than the one I've seen demonstrated in videos for this new game.

I've taken many risks in my life, some of them potentially fatal, but thrilling. And apart from those, some emotional risks, too, by loving people I should not have; those were less fun, and come to think of it, potentially fatal as well.

You do not know me and my preferences in sufficient breadth and depth to have much chance of your advice to me being accurate and productive, so please stop advising me on how to spend my recreational energies and therefore also the cash required to pursue them. I do not tell you what you should do with your individual time, and you would rightly consider that to be an unjustified imposition. What is useful in gaming advice is for people to exchange actual data and experience of particular games and their associated options so that each person can make their own judgements of what may be worth their precious time.

Coaster1235
11th April 2010, 01:44 PM
Hope you all heard about this, a game for the PS3 exclusively. A rather very LittleBigPlanet-ish game (a excellent piece of gaming it is, LBP, the source of family-oriented ROFLs) that is about racing. And you can create your own tracks. Yes, the clumsy arcadey HotWheelz are no match for the sleek Anti-Grav ships found on ANY WipEout, and the future is, well, in the future at the moment, but still. Create Your Own Tracks. Just imagine that the karts are a few feet above the ground (at all times) and upgrade the scenery in your mind. You could even somewhat recreate some of the WipEout tracks (link to its site with videos and moar fluff n stuff: http://www.modnation.com/onlinebeta/index.htm ), the track creator seems somewhat easy to learn (what made LBP a hit, this may be its follower) so why not give it a try? (Release date at writing time May 25. 2010)
If only our beloved Studio do that with WipEout... well, the community takes over. With make-a-track, make-a-craft and possibly even edit it´s stats (make-a-team, meh), I think everyone here would tread to the next door shop and get 2 of them, one to get gilded and one for playing purposes.
Tell me what you think!

SaturnReturn
11th April 2010, 02:02 PM
Merged above post from its own thread to here. Indeed we've heard about it. ;)

KANDANG
21st May 2010, 10:29 AM
game is out . got this today.

wonder how soon we'll see player made tracks from wipeout
:)

KGB
21st May 2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah my son is getting it for his birthday tomorrow (Happy Birthday Louie) I will have to try and do Manor Top.

Motorsagmannen
21st May 2010, 11:13 AM
i played the beta some months ago, it did actually work quite nicely. the customization is great. but i didnt have time to get into the driving physics. they seemed a bit crude. that could be excused by it beeing a beta, havent tried the actual launch version.

KIGO1987
21st May 2010, 11:59 AM
There was another free download version of ModNation available on last Wednesday night on the PSN store. Its different to the beta trial in a way. This is on my list of games i need to buy now;

1. Burnout Paradise Full Edition (cant find it anywhere!)
2. ModNation Racers
3. GTA4 Expansions

But im stuffed paying $109 for it, seriously way over prices, but like the PS3 controllers are i guess.

Dark_Phantom_89
21st May 2010, 12:35 PM
Eureka - There's a full version of Burnout Paradise on the PS Store which includes everything.

KIGO1987
21st May 2010, 02:32 PM
Thats what Yeldar told me to get. But i saw the BD disc version at JBHiFi once but didnt get it, so i would like to get the hard copy version. Dont trust digital files. Just look what happened on the PSN at the end of February. My PS3 went back to the 20th century and back.

MrSmadSmartAlex
21st May 2010, 03:22 PM
game is out . got this today.

wonder how soon we'll see player made tracks from wipeout
:)
I was talking to a friend today about doing that, actually! :D
Gemini Dam Black, obviously.

I got the demo for the PSP version of this today. Seems like a pretty good kart racer. Gameplay wasn't the best ever (but still good), but the editing stuff and multiplayer could make it amazing. I might well buy this over the weekend. :)

Dark_Phantom_89
21st May 2010, 03:30 PM
I'd love to do a Sol 2 or Moa Therma one - maybe that would be a bit too extreme though...

KIGO1987
21st May 2010, 03:40 PM
This game on the PSP as well? Damn didnt know that.

Ok time to do some small side jobs, i got to get ModNation now.

Also DP Moa Therma FTW ;) love that track. Gotta Love Moa :P

someguy789
21st May 2010, 07:15 PM
looks a bit too child friendly...
I'm sure my brother will get it I might have a go (and make all the WO tracks) if it looks any good
@Eureka BP complet package was limited edition it's gone now :(

SaturnReturn
21st May 2010, 08:49 PM
I imagine I would end up getting this. But I'll wait to see how many one my friends list are playing it, what kinds of tracks people create and then probably wait for a bit of a price drop. I just can't convince myself to spend £40 on games these days, even if that is still good value compared to other entertainment.

Amorbis
21st May 2010, 09:19 PM
I can see myself buying this after playing the demo, but like Saturn I can't really spend £40 on it. I'll eventually buy though as I prefer making racing tracks than I do LBP levels. ;)

The whole of the WipEout tracks would eventually get built between us, but I don't know if some tracks like P-Mar Project would be possible with the giant jumps.

Motorsagmannen
21st May 2010, 10:19 PM
during the beta time i made sebenco forward :g

UB3R~JKP
21st May 2010, 11:35 PM
Been playing the demo.....A LOT :P :D

RedScar
22nd May 2010, 12:14 AM
I'm looking forward to this, although I've been hearing some mixed things about it so hopefully it lives up to be the I think it is.

KIGO1987
22nd May 2010, 12:44 PM
@Eureka BP complet package was limited edition it's gone now :(

:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

someguy789
22nd May 2010, 05:13 PM
just got the demo
it's pretty fun and making tracks is much easier than LBP, I'll probabaly buy it when it's out

billychanxtr33m
22nd May 2010, 06:06 PM
after playing the demo i found the track maker quick to use and the racing acceptable. if i can buy this through download i will now that i really want to make wipeout tracks ^^

KGB
23rd May 2010, 07:55 PM
Played this today and it's really good fun. The only thing that's bad is the loading times which are too frequent and long. Every so often when doing the campaign it takes you to the mod shop, you then have to drive back to the place where you start the campaign again which is a bit daft. Overall it's a great little game :D.

kaori
24th May 2010, 04:51 PM
I have this game, I like it.7RCP-JLB9-758H
If you want SackBoy in this game, take this for PSStore: 7RCP JLB9 758H ;)7RCP-J7LB9-758H7RCP-JLB9-758H7RCP-JLB9-758H
7RCP-JLB9-758H

KIGO1987
24th May 2010, 05:02 PM
Whats online mode like with this game?

RedScar
24th May 2010, 05:53 PM
Why does this come out on the 21st in EU and 25th in NA? The game is made in Vancouver and San Diego. :brickwall
I would love to play it, the demo is a POS since it doesn't even let you use your custom character and kart.

JABBERJAW
28th May 2010, 06:40 PM
"I want to be Michael Schumacher or Danica Patrick, not some bath toy with a mohawk." Dan Locke

Pretty good quote here Rob, maybe worthy of the quote section :)

Dan Locke
28th May 2010, 10:15 PM
There's a quote section?

billychanxtr33m
28th May 2010, 11:05 PM
after getting the game i find a lot about it that is unnecessarily frustrating. the humor is also hit and miss, but its an ok game.

that said, i finished and published an altima vii track that i am pretty proud of :+ there arent any kart bodies that look too much like an ag racer, but ill make an arial tetsuo and auricom ship soon too!

KGB
28th May 2010, 11:25 PM
Cool, how do I find that then? Forgive the noob question, haven't played it much.

billychanxtr33m
30th May 2010, 05:21 AM
@kgb: just go to the download section of the "share" hub and search by text.

i had to skew a few things on the ship model because the karts curves messed the stickers up, but i think my auricom turned out rather well ;)

Amorbis
30th May 2010, 06:32 PM
The Altima VII track makes me want this even more, well done on that one, it looks great! But how does the steep drop fare? The demo wasn't very good for making inclines in the road.

I can tell I'd spend more time making things than racing them, but that depends on how good I am at the racing. ;)

billychanxtr33m
30th May 2010, 06:50 PM
thanks! the steep drop isnt that steep, but its a fine line between keeping things authentic and making them playable. the track editor does take a bit longer to do things than it should though, it felt like i had to constantly adjust and re-adjust banking on that track.

KGB
31st May 2010, 04:30 PM
Had a go last night on Altima VII and it put a big smile on my face, you did a really good job on it. When I typed it in it wouldn't find the track so I put 'wipeout' in instead which worked. The scale is a bit smaller than the original but you were maybe running out of track space. I kept hitting the walls on the last left hander, so a perfect copy then :P.

I had a go at doing Vineta K off the top of my head, after I finished testing it, it was nothing like it :D, so a bit more work is needed.

Kyonshi
31st May 2010, 05:11 PM
I want this game so baaaad, it's Creation Heaven for me; characters, cars and tracks.

But i've read several flaws encountered by many players, such as:

- Frequent server d/c, very unstable
- Punishing and unfair AI
- ****ing rubber band effect.

What are your specific opinions on these issues guys? Reading these cons made me refrain my enthusiam. Also, i've read there's a lot of mods you can download to create stuff. Can you also download/conceive/draw your own graphic design elements into the game? Like if i want the Feisar logo for instance. Thanks for giving me any hints about all this :)

someguy789
1st June 2010, 10:49 AM
you do get D/C'd allot (it happend to me just now) although it's a very new game and we should see some patches soon
the AI are like the AI on mario kart, they weapon spam you loads and you end up losing when you really should have won
the game is also region locked so you can't play online with people from outside your country

but for the most part it's a really fun game although you might want to wait for a few patches to come in before you get it

assoartu64
1st June 2010, 12:21 PM
wonderfoul games...mod nation racer

Altima....and vineta and the ship :hyper:hyper:hyper great i will see your creation....of course:rock

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=107&pictureid=2236

this is my first track .. but i working on for testing again
i will try to make wipeout clone track too!!!

p.s i dont like the mod nation figth part only
...but in speed and making track 10/10

see you soon pilot on wipe and on modnation

RedScar
1st June 2010, 06:53 PM
but for the most part it's a really fun game although you might want to wait for a few patches to come in before you get it

Ya, this is the exact reason why I haven't purchased this game yet.

Kyonshi
1st June 2010, 09:04 PM
And that's why i will refrain from buying it right away too. I have enough of WipEout with it freezing over when i'm first or lame-ass unfair cambodia :lol

Still, i can't wait to have it and create all kinds of stuff and WipEout tracks ^^

assoartu64
3rd June 2010, 06:02 AM
help me

i have a problem to find the track creation ...
it is easy for the friend but for the others creators????

i think find it (like little big mode) but there is not a finder
it is possible i am noob:)

another question!
it is possible to make a photo prewiev for my track...i make a photo but i see the track only "google heart mode" and prefere to show it (like the past post)

sorry pilot for my bad english:brickwall:pizza

RedScar
3rd June 2010, 06:28 PM
As far as I know, you can only take a preview photo in the "preview" mode where you are overlooking the track. I could be wrong though.

billychanxtr33m
4th June 2010, 04:20 AM
@assoartu64, if you want a thumbnail picture icon for your track, press L1 in preview mode

btw, im finished with a modesto heights for anyone interested. its modeled more after the pure version since it was easier to fly around looking at stuff on my psp.

next will probably be silverstream. i was really pumped about making that track when i first got modnation, but there is no snowy texture right now and that was a real buzzkill.

RedScar
4th June 2010, 05:29 AM
wow, the drop looks just about as large, wish I could race it.

assoartu64
4th June 2010, 06:15 AM
thanks redscar and billy for the answer...

i link your post in the wipeout zone italy team

my friends ... shawnfrecle, alterrego and many more are interesting for the clone wipeout track...:hyper

alterego making sebenco....and i think to work on sol2!!!

vote: wipeout mod racer

see you soon on wipe and on mod nation:D

in the future i hope new release ...theme FUTURE i think and texture ( SNOW 100%)

JABBERJAW
4th June 2010, 12:13 PM
MULTIPLAYER:

1) Does this game have catch up in MP with your speed increasing if you are behind?

2) Does this game give better weapons to the person behind so they can catch up in MP?

If it has neither of these, I might pick it up.

billychanxtr33m
4th June 2010, 01:45 PM
@jabberjaw

1)nope

2)nope, but if you are far enough behind you tend to get boosts. weapons are leveled up to a max of rank three by picking up 2 more weapon pods, and teir 3 boost is a "warp" that usually catches you up to the closest person to you. its not the most reliable thing though and isnt that much of a handout. every teir 3 weapon attacks all players infront of you in one way or another, but they need to be built up the same no matter where you are. and all weapons can be shielded against (though the weapons are assholes and vary the time they attack you to mess up your shield timing).

it can still be pretty frustrating until you get used to it, you will get hung up on a lot of corners and bounce off course from some bumps until you are used to the quirks. online racing is a much better test of skill than mario kart wii though.

kaori
5th June 2010, 08:53 AM
Do you know this site ?
http://community.modnation.com/

You can see creations and ranking ;)

If you want race on the Historic Monza, Italian Gp in 50's & 60's, I've created it !
Amazing real track, http://community.modnation.com/fr/creations/550564

assoartu64
7th June 2010, 09:33 AM
hallo kaori...
i have the lap time records on your track:D

gooooooood work:clap:clap!!!!!
waiting the other creation!!!

http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/assoartu64/creations

p.s. the mod nation site is wonderful!!!

JABBERJAW
7th June 2010, 12:16 PM
"2)nope, but if you are far enough behind you tend to get boosts. "

." every teir 3 weapon attacks all players infront of you in one way or another, but they need to be built up the same no matter where you are. and all weapons can be shielded against (though the weapons are assholes and vary the time they attack you to mess up your shield timing)."

does the person in first place attack all others in level 3? It seems it kinda has computer assistance, but not full. Don't like that boost thing, that is why we play with weapons off for the wipeout 64 part of the tournament

thanks for the replies on the cpu assist thing

billychanxtr33m
7th June 2010, 03:57 PM
does the person in first place attack all others in level 3?
he cant attack forward, but all weapons can be dropped as a single mine. tier 3 mines have a sizable trigger halo around them.

RJ O'Connell
8th June 2010, 09:20 PM
Hey. Just dropping in to let you know that my first items have been published. (http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/blinky77/creations)

kaori
8th June 2010, 09:50 PM
Very nice mods ! I have to download some of them :+

billychanxtr33m
8th June 2010, 10:56 PM
now THATS dedication RJ!

RJ O'Connell
9th June 2010, 02:13 AM
^ heh, thanks.

I went and updated the Jann Shlaudecker mod, to replace the red racing jacket with a leather jacket like he wears in the official artwork.

assoartu64
22nd June 2010, 01:27 PM
hey RJ....mishima tsarong...paul chang ....old remember

good creation:clap

KIGO1987
22nd June 2010, 09:27 PM
Check this out.

Chenghou Project created on Modnation Racers

http://i45.tinypic.com/1yw9wo.jpg

Its created by Wip3ou7pure. He sent me it on the PSN. Looks pretty sweet.

assoartu64
23rd June 2010, 06:13 AM
yesssss ...good kigo...i will try your track.....:)

p,s
i hope in "space" or "future" theme release for mod nation for making track like wipeout

see you soon pilot on wipe on mod.... and i bought BLUR yesterday

KIGO1987
23rd June 2010, 12:45 PM
I didnt make the track :) A guy called Wip3ou7 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/member.php?u=3252) created the track. He sent it to me on the PSN a few weeks ago, impressive work. Im still yet to get the game.

assoartu64
25th June 2010, 09:55 AM
thanks kigo:)

and repeat...sorry for my bad english!!!:redface:

MetaKraken
29th October 2010, 05:31 PM
Here are some pros and cons about MNRacers (my opinions, tho):

Pros:

*Awesome karts/mods to create
*Track editor is superb
*You can publish karts, mods and tracks you have created
*Custom soundtracks
*Career mode may be hard, but you'll get the hang of it
*Karts can handle well when it comes to modifying them

Cons:

*You cannot go online to different regions, which is really stupid and crappy (LBP has done this with ease and I played online one with my friend from Japan)
*You are unable to talk to other people whilst the custom soundtrack is in use (what a complete joke. It's so easy, CG (Criterion Games) has done this to Burnout Paradise!)
*Needs more parts for karts (e.g. front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, etc.)
*No night races (headlights are NOT fake)
*Not enough themes (snow theme would be good, and as well as futuristic theme)
*No weather conditions (such as snowfall, rainfall, sleet, hailstorm etc.)

Overall review: Passable

I do hope UFG can learn how to correct their mistakes, 'cause it's obviously not fair to not race against other players from Europe or Asia :(. But other than that, it's a great racing game, and that creating your own tracks is awesome, and showing off created rides to other players is a blast.