PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be more HD/FURY DLC or HD3D

blackwiggle
17th January 2010, 04:25 PM
It's getting close to where "Something" should be happening with Wipeout, one way or another.
It's been 6 months since Fury was released,and we have all seen the demo of HD in 3D from last year, plus the huge push made for 3D by the manufacturers at CES 2010 [which showed screen shot's of HD/Fury in the 3D promos]

I don't know how this 3D stuff will work with the promised PS3 3D system update,if it can be switched in/out at will etc,or if two different versions of Wipeout will be happening.

Not that we get any choice [or solid info] on the matter,more as what the general feeling is at the forum about what the most probable direction taken with Wipeout will be.

ProblemSolver
17th January 2010, 04:52 PM
I bet $10 on DLC that upgrades current HD/Fury to 3D. :nod

blackwiggle
17th January 2010, 05:11 PM
It's hard to pick.
Especially when you factor in if they could go down the 3D update [if possible],would they?

If there was even a remote possibility of it somehow messing up the current game,particularly online,I think that would be the death of HD/Fury.
And I'm sure SL realize that.

That's the problem with Wipeout always being the new technology showcase game for Sony

KGB
17th January 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm really hoping for a new Wipeout game in 2D, which begs the question, will they integrate it with HD/FURY? I can't imagine two wipeout games online and only being able to play one set of tracks before swapping to the other game. In which case why do they not continue to develop DLC for HD, upgrading, improving and tweaking. But they are not, so where do we stand? :frown:

As for HD3D. Making a game that would be about two years old 3D, seems a step backwards to me. Surely new tracks + 3D would be a much more attractive offer. It's a pity no one from SL could tell us what the future will bring.

AG-wolf
17th January 2010, 06:47 PM
I want more WOHD content- tracks probably, and they should hook up with Tim Wright to offer a couple download packs of his music. Maybe even MORE ship skins - classic models perhaps from the first WO game to the very present

Don't care about 3D, though I'm sure we'll get that

I think it will be quite a while before we get a totally new Wipeout game... there';s no reason for them to ditch the foundation of WOHD and rebuild a new game from the ground up, even despite the complaints I have with HD... at least, no reason just yet

leungbok
17th January 2010, 07:19 PM
I presume SL actually works on a game, right ? Why not a new wipeout or dlc for the existing game ? ;)

kaori
17th January 2010, 08:55 PM
I think we will have 4 or 8 tracks more, but with all game in 3D compatible, what do i tick ?

LurifaxFlux
17th January 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm hoping for a whole new Wipeout game ^_^
New physics, new venues, new music, different ship models, new (and hopefully fun) features.
I don't have a problem with HD/Fury, but it's been around for a while now. :P

blackwiggle
17th January 2010, 11:55 PM
Tick the 5th one down Kaori if you want.

OBH
18th January 2010, 09:44 AM
I say why move onto something new, when the current wipeout fix is still going strong.

Simply new HD content for me.

Xavier
18th January 2010, 10:48 AM
Having just gotten into WOHD/Fury, I want more of this -- more courses (from Pure! Blue Ridge, please!), maybe another ship (Van-Uber? Medievil?), and more options and stats -- rather than a new game.

I know I'm going to be in the minority on 3-D, but being partially blind in one eye, I don't ever want to "see" 3-D become mandatory or mainstream as it'll make the game unplayable. For regular folks with perfect vision, 3-D is a step up, but for us without it, 3-D is not just a step down; it's like being kicked all the way down the steps into a dark locked basement and not being allowed to ever play again. :frown:

When WOHD first came out, I was under the impression that it was just a kind of tech demo, with a real game to be developed separately. Now it looks like it became the base for what's already an excellent game. A regular series of add-ons would keep interest fresh for years and I hope they do that rather than go to a new game and abandon this one.

amplificated
18th January 2010, 12:41 PM
It's obvious that the next update to the wipeout series will be the 3D patch within the next 6 months for HD.

There's no indication of anything else happening in Wipeout land.

Also, it seems to me that you have some misgivings about how the 3D system works. It's pretty simple and there is no way there would ever be 3D-only tracks (let alone a 3D only game), it's all completely optional. It's not like it requires a whole new graphical overhaul for the game to support it, just some math-based prediction.

It seems like the 3D update is just waiting for Sony's go-ahead. So yeah... next update to the Wipeout series will be this, probably, unless some minor update/s happen to the game for some bug fixes or whatever prior to it.

edit: just noticed you say DLC that upgrades the game - hell no, I imagine this will be a patch for the game that everyone will be able to use. As for the next addition to the WO series - I'm hoping for tracks, and there's no point going any further than that. There hasn't been word on anything other than a 3D update.

eLhabib
18th January 2010, 12:46 PM
well, there's no indication of that happening, either...

Cyberio
18th January 2010, 01:30 PM
I hope for a new DLC with classic tracks.

crawdad62
18th January 2010, 01:34 PM
If whatever is released is in 3D only I don't see much of a market for it. Seems like that would limit it severely. It's my understanding it needs a specific monitor/TV correct? I voted that there'll be both 2D and 3D released. Whether that's a whole new game or DLC for the current I'm not sure about.

ProblemSolver
18th January 2010, 04:36 PM
Currently there isn't any news about a new DLC or whatsoever, but wasn't this
also the case for Fury -- for over nine months? I believe that some guys over
at SL do work on WipEout HD's codebase. Preparing the game for trade-shows to
show off the 3-D effect needs some of the coders to ensure that everything
works out as expected. And if, then every developer would be eager to release
it to the masses.

Up to my point of view, a DLC that enables 3-D and includes 4 new tracks, 2 new
teams, some new ZONE color schemes, and some major bugfixes is all I'm
asking for. No need for a new Wipeout game. The game hasn't reached its
limits, not even close.

eLhabib
18th January 2010, 05:20 PM
Why is everyone so stoked about a DLC that will add 3D?! You are aware that you will need a new TV to view it, right? I'd much rather have some new tracks.

ProblemSolver
18th January 2010, 06:24 PM
Why? Promotion. :nod Like; here is the technology, here is the TV, and here are
the games!

DarkSoul520
18th January 2010, 08:12 PM
I'm hoping for a completely new Wipeout game. New DLC would be nice, but I'd prefer a new game entirely.

As for the 3D. Meh, I honestly don't see the big deal. I saw Avatar and the 3D only enhanced it a bit. 3D seems like a big gimmick to buy things to me, and I doubt it will last very long.

SaturnReturn
18th January 2010, 11:07 PM
I don't want nuthin til I's mastered these here Furious tracks dagnabbit. :lol

I think a firmware update and/or game patch will be offered for free. I wouldn't expect more DLC too soon, and really I am a long way from mastering what is there currently, so for me personally, the game has plenty of life in it yet...maybe even another 700 hours. :D

AurigaAB
19th January 2010, 02:52 AM
New DLC would seem to be a great way to sell a 3D upgrade. But as for what would be a good theme, I really don't know... A "classic" DLC with older tracks and such wouldn't help bring the nostalgic/regular fans into the game (we're probably already playing HD & Fury), and has no value for newcomers. Racing is covered in HD and battle modes in Fury. What else is there to WO other than that? New modes could stretch the core of the game too thin.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a new themed DLC, even less for a whole new game in the series in the near future. But the nature of downloadable content is still in the air, so who knows...

If SL tacks a couple of new/old tracks on the 3D update, I'll be happy to fork over it-- even if I have no use for 3D.

ProblemSolver
20th January 2010, 05:56 PM
I would even pay $10 alone for an DLC that gives me the ability to color and
texture my craft. I've already mentioned this a couple of times, the lack of
personality within WipEout HD isn't very pleasing.

eLhabib
20th January 2010, 10:41 PM
+1 :+

Koleax
20th January 2010, 11:33 PM
How about custom colors for exhaust trails? I'd be into that, $2-3 easy, but I'd pay $5.

RedScar
21st January 2010, 06:42 AM
Well lets look at it like this.

-Making the tracks for HD/Fury is very intensive due to the requirement that they are avaliable for 1080p res and below. This is one reason why we got pulse tracks is because to make a brand new track from scratch would take way to long. I don't remember where it was mentioned, but this has been said. This makes an old track DLC unlikely.
-Ships can't be nessasarly too difficult to make, fury added new looks and changed stats (although I sometimes question the stat change as real or just fake). A new team is not out of the question, and new skins for existing ships could be made. As for a custom skin lab, I'd love it but I don't think that it is possible in the 1080p code to make it viable.
-This 3D thing is coming, and since WOHD/Fury has been kinda a PSN experiment as well as an amazing technology demo of sorts for 1080p games, further expansion to show the PS3's capability is possible. That said, this would further make any additional content like another DLC after it VERY difficult to produce.

I'd love just more 2D content, ships, tracks, skins, anything (WO "More Stuff" DLC :P), but Sony needs someone to make the 3D future for the PS3, and who better then the first party developer that can make a full 1080p game?

YoshiXL
22nd January 2010, 04:11 PM
So im guessing if 3D stuff starts getting released on ps3 im going to have to get a new tv (again) right? i mean, i dunno about alot of you, but its hard for some of us to just keep up with all this new technology, financially. I was just able to afford a new 52" Sony Bravia (W-Series) last year, and now to keep up with my games im going to have to upgrade again?! man, this is all too much too soon.

crawdad62
22nd January 2010, 04:18 PM
There's no way I'm upgrading televisions. I suppose if I were in the market to buy one soon I'd wait around for a 3D capable one but I just bought one too and I'm really not sold on the whole 3D deal anyway (I must admit to not seeing it in person). I realize they got to push tech but I think I'll sit this one out.

Xavier
22nd January 2010, 06:16 PM
It does seem to be the case that the "default" TV size is much bigger than it was for decades up to now -- I've got a 21" 1080p monitor, and while the graphics are beautiful, the defaul font sizes are tiny!

ProblemSolver and Elhabib, I completely agree about ship skin customization. With online racing being such a big part of WOHD, it seems almost unfair to prevent people from creating their own looks for their publicly-viewable ships.

Wipeout has a consistent aesthetic style, though, and I wouldn't want to see people doing just anything to their ships. Maybe limiting the skinning in some way so as to retain the distinctive WO look might be best?

You can identify teams by their livery colors, so maybe those should be fixed; how about at least using some of those distinctive Wipeout fonts to let users put their own names on this ships instead of the tired old (well, to veterans, tired) slogans? Since it's a race, shouldn't the ships at least have numbers on them? WO1 had them; I'd love to slap my favorite number on the side of my ship. (F-Zero GX offered this and it looked fine.)

A downloadable ship skin customizer is definitely something I'd pay for.

Frances_Penfold
23rd January 2010, 02:29 AM
It's kinda mysterious that Studio Liverpool, a talented bunch of first party developers, don't have an announced project.

* The Formula One license is no longer held by Sony, so that's out.

* WOHD is pretty much the only "next-gen" futuristic racing game on the market for home consoles but appears to have only so-so sales to date. It is unclear what motivation SCEE has for creating a full "WOHD 2" game.

* The PSP is pretty much saturated with racing games, including two full-fledged WipEout games. What motivation is there to release a third?

From various interviews, I have the impression that SL may be involved with creation of middleware, network code, 3D display and the like that is shared with other SCEE developers. Doesn't seem like a full time job for a talented studio, though.

crawdad62
23rd January 2010, 02:34 AM
F1! Man I loved that series. I had entirely forgot about it. Wasn't Colony Wars from SL also? I remember when I got my PS1 I played that all the time.

IH8YOU
23rd January 2010, 03:41 AM
Rollcage and Destruction Derby also by Psygnosis. :nod

Koleax
23rd January 2010, 05:04 AM
Oh god please something with green hills and trees. I'm begging you.

amplificated
23rd January 2010, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't mind some more natural tracks either, most of the current crop are extremely industrial, with the ones that aren't only being mostly industrial.

Chill
23rd January 2010, 07:02 PM
I agree... if there are any more tracks, I would like them without so many lights and a bit more natural environment... Like racing through some foggy wet mountain tops or something...

The track's surface doesn't have to be as industrial either...

Xavier
24th January 2010, 09:08 AM
Indeed, trees would be great, as would a course that slaloms around mountain peaks -- Valparaiso was a lot of fun in the old days, as was that one in Fusion set in a mountain range with waterfalls. Even a nature-industry fusion like the setting for F-Zero GX's 'Green Plant' would be fun to pilot through. I loved how there were fallen leaves strewn around the course that would fly in the air when you flew past them.

DawnFireDragoon
24th January 2010, 12:55 PM
there isn't a choice up top, so i will add it here:

-Tree's DLC :p

signed.

kanar
25th January 2010, 05:50 AM
Oh yeah Xavier, I miss Valparaiso so much. On topic, finger crossed for some more HD dlcs, I really hope the 3d update will be the occasion for Sony Liverpool to add content for this masterpiece; fed up to see those Tigron bilboards, they're seriously late for the next fx-350 season lol. How many dlcs that dumb game named Pain got lol, wtf. Can't imagine no more dlcs for our baby... I would like also a technical update, particularly for the online universe; a better predictive code, and of course better management in contacts between ships. Seriously, ramming costs sometimes more energy than a rocket in the ass , what's the point gah.

OneAVGNFan
26th January 2010, 03:43 PM
I think that there will be at least two more teams for the next DLC: Tigron and Van-Uber because there are signs for those two teams in Metropia and Venita K respectively regardless of their tardiness.:!

It seems clear that these two teams might return to the game.

also for another dlc, I also agree that several retro courses should appear.

leungbok
26th January 2010, 04:06 PM
I'll do like nostradamus (or Paco Rabanne :lol) :
"hmmmm...i see...i see... 2 new teams, tigron and van-uber, 2 totally new tracks, in fact 4 with the reverse versions, vohl square and arc prime, an online time trial mode, the pure's zone tracks playable on all modes..."
:P

Mad-Ice
26th January 2010, 05:11 PM
I really hope for a new Wipeout! Totally new tracks, with more natural enviroments, longer tracks, made for pure racing, less weapon based and online Time Trials with 1 turbo per lap, maybe even getting the pitlane back. Less bumpy tracks, smoother up and down floathy feel with big and long jumps. Shattered tracks like Spilskinanke and Manor Top. Faster than phantom in HD and more speed sensation like in Pulse. Weather settings optional with day and night scenes too.

kaori
26th January 2010, 05:23 PM
Yes Mad-Ice, I like your new WipEout, just confirm the dead is dead rule and I'll buy it :D

DawnFireDragoon
26th January 2010, 09:57 PM
day/night and weather too, is something i really want to see, forget forward/backward versions, day/night, weather and more unique varied tracks is what i would love to see.

IH8YOU
29th January 2010, 12:30 AM
Well, it appears that the other 18.18% who chose the same option I did were right. (the last option, that is)

I H8 Being Right with that stuff.... :(

Chill
29th January 2010, 05:21 PM
I doubt it brotha... Now that it had such a long and great run, Wipeout being in a much better quality than fusion, we'll probably see many new dedicated fans wanting it back if this does end... ;)

ProblemSolver
18th February 2010, 08:55 AM
Since all the 3-D stuff is just around the corner, wouldn't it be great if Sony
were suppose to release another DLC for WipEout HD that would include some
new tracks and stuff to show off / celebrate how great everything works
together? WipEout HD could be a show-case title for all the 3-D stuff as well.
Anyways, that's never going to happen.

Koleax
18th February 2010, 02:56 PM
It already seems like it's the showcase for 3D, at least for gaming. Take this 3D TV FAQ (http://news.cnet.com/3d-tv-faq/) from CNet for example. They show a screenshot and don't even tell us what game it is, just that this is what 3D gaming looks like.

ProblemSolver
18th February 2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah've seen those pictures a million times. However, I meant it somewhat
differently, like; *BAM* here is the 3-D stuff *BAM* and here is a freaking 3-D
DLC for WOHD *BAM*.