PDA

View Full Version : Hm.. Choices..

Split_effect_
12th January 2010, 01:57 AM
Alright, maybe you guys can help me out... I've been using EGX as my main ship, but I started experimenting with some of the others, and found I really like the way Qirex rides. Now I can't decide which to use. What do you guys think?

Koleax
12th January 2010, 02:25 AM
What speed class are you racing?

I've been using Qirex myself, because I like how it reminds me of 2097. Although you will find that it is not typically a first-place finisher in evenly matched races. I do not first and foremost care about winning races, having shifted some competitiveness to Zone mode, so I'm not worried about that and just think it's fun seeing where I can end up.

I'm talking about old-school Qirex. Fury Qirex is a different story.

ACE-FLO
12th January 2010, 02:32 AM
keep experimenting, til you're sure you found your ship

i use eg-x for rapier and ag-sys for phantom.. they feel, instinctive - you know? but that's for me. differrent strokes for different folks and all that...

one advice i give is to try your experimentation, fairly. pick a track and TT for 3 attempts with each ship. repeat with different tracks... oh, and make notes of lap/race times for every ship. Should help, i hope :)

Split_effect_
12th January 2010, 02:32 AM
Well, I'm just talking Fury/HD, since that's all I have :P. And I'm trying to go through the campaign still right now, but when I race online, pretty much only phantom.

I like that plan ace, I'm gonna have to try that out tomorrow.

ACE-FLO
12th January 2010, 02:47 AM
...I'm trying to go through the campaign still right now, but when I race online, pretty much only phantom.

i'm the same man, except i can't be effed to finish the campaign lol, online is where it's at for me too... phantom like you, but sometimes Rapier, rarely Flash, and Venom... pffffft :D

i'm pleased you liked my suggestion, good luck finding your AG ship(s)... they get better with age btw, :)

Koleax
12th January 2010, 03:40 AM
Well, I'm just talking Fury/HD, since that's all I have :P.

Well, which is it? Fury or HD? :P

AG-wolf
12th January 2010, 05:15 AM
I'd say Qirex... ;)

But truth be told, I liked the way EGX felt, too... my only complaint was their shield was too weak (I'm sloppy/brutal on the track, so I need the higher shield).

Qirex takes a bit of skill to be competitive, though, due to its average speed and acceleration... even though it says 80/85 for speed, it still feels slower than a couple of the other ships with 70 for speed. Its advantages are in its mediocrity, if that makes any sense. It handles very well, and if you can chain boosts with BRs and a clean racing line, you can stay with other standard AG-sys and Assegai ships, and can usually fight with an average to decent Icaras pilot.

The biggest problem with WOHD is that all the ships have been brought to a kind of level playing field... but it's due to the online portion of the game. In all of the previous titles before PSP, each ship filled a different purpose;

FEISAR - slow as dirt, good handling, good shield, good accel... Beginner

AG-Systems - slightly faster, great handling, terrible shield, great accel... "intermediate" but exploitable by expert pilots due to handling & accel combo

Auricom - even faster, decent handling, good shield, decent accel.. advanced.

Qirex - wicked fast, terrible handling, great shield, terrible accel.. expert

Piranha - insanely fast, awesome handling, awesome shield, awesome accel... Al Sartwell

A FEISAR vs Qirex has no hope, for example. If they had done this with WOHD (or Pure and Pulse, even), it would have been totally unfair :/

So the ships have all been watered down significantly, and their differences far less drastic except in the hands of the best pilots... and even then, they can destroy other people with Icaras and FEISAR -_-

I'm rambling because it's 1am. Just give them all a try.. you may find different ships are better suited for the way you play on different courses... I sometimes switch between Qirex and Auricom because Auricom replaced Qirex's cliche of pure speed and crappy handling, and it works really well when I'm competing against more experienced pilots...

Aeroracer
12th January 2010, 11:33 PM
if you like the way qirex feels use it.its the coolest looking ship but most players say it suks and dont like its feel.
i tried it a bit and found it to be really stable and non bouncy.

SaturnReturn
13th January 2010, 12:02 AM
I find HD qirex smooth and lovely, but they should have made it faster IMO. I think it handles so well but only because of the lack of speed. I actually think a faster HD Qirex would have been equivalent to what Furymau is now. It doesn't have high speed, thrust, or handling stat so generally nothing to really sell itself on, which is a shame.

IH8YOU
13th January 2010, 02:02 AM
What else does Qirex need to sell?

Its Purple.

It's Double-Hull.

Its Russian.

Nuff' Said. :+

blackwiggle
13th January 2010, 02:11 AM
I used Quirex to get through 90% of HD's Campaign, it was only the acceleration of AG that made me change.

Don't forget to try out different Air Brake settings with any of the craft,it can be a major part of choosing your preferred craft.

OneAVGNFan
13th January 2010, 04:23 AM
I used Piranha because of its high speed and its thrust feels better than Triakis.

AG-wolf
13th January 2010, 05:17 AM
Saturn and IH8You, you're both my heroes right now ;_; lol

slimjim
13th January 2010, 07:36 AM
i use the assegai its a nice ship

yeldar2097
13th January 2010, 08:01 AM
I suppose I'd call myself a Harimau (Fury) man but to be honest I've used all the ships quite extensively (simply because I have way too much time on my hands ;) ).

If this discussion is Qirex Vs EG-X then I can't really help, although they are two of my faves for sure. They just feel...different:

Qirex is a wipeout classic, we all know that. The way it just glides around the corners brings back a little bit of that 2097 feel to WOHD, like a really nice, perfectly balanced power-slide. Yes it doesn't have any particular strengths or weaknesses (I don't include shields as counting for anything either way, s'all the same to me), but it's drivability is what makes it brilliant...and the fact that it's a sexy beast.

EG-X on the other hand feels much more forced through the corners when compared to Qirex, but in a good way. Not forced in the sense that it might not make the corner, but forced in the sense that you have to actually drive it through the corners...in a really sexy way. Gives you lots of feedback and is a much more active experience than with some other ships...something like that. It's also a sexy beast, one of the more striking/badass looking ships in the game I think.

Like I said they are two of my faves and I can't really choose between them, just depends what you prefer :)

This post is only referring to the original HD versions of the ships, I can't stand either of the Fury versions: Qirex drives like arse and doesn't get any air for BRs & EG-X got shafted by the stats changes, looks ridiculous and drives like arse....two of my favourites - ruined :(

/two cents :g