PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

Fatal
17th December 2002, 10:20 PM
i bought the game 2 days ago and dont understand the individual uses of left and right airbrake.

for which type of turn (eg left or right ) do u use the left or right brake ? and under what conditions is both airbrakes used ? plz help cos this is annoying me

Lance
17th December 2002, 10:33 PM
you're kidding, right?
if not, experiment and see what happens, and you'll soon know what to do

xEik
17th December 2002, 11:20 PM
I never played Fusion but for the other three in the series I use right for right and left for left.
Some members here claim that some turns can be dealt better if you airbrake with left for a right turn or vice versa. However I don't get that to work.

Never use both airbrakes (just my opinion ;) ).

Again, I don't know if what I say applies to Fusion. But as Lance has said many times, the fun in these games is learning how to deal with them by yourself. Get your own style and remember...

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
17th December 2002, 11:54 PM
there is a counter-braking technique that even i have occasionally learned to use, but when you're new to the game, you really need to learn the basic moves and get so accustomed to them that they become 'muscle memory' instinctive, requiring no conscious thought. then you can go for refinements like counterbraking, example: steering left while barely airbraking right to avoid too firm a contact with a wall.
ordinarily you should avoid using airbrakes unless you absolutely have to in order to get the racecraft through a turn or avoid a weapon, etc., as they tend to reduce your overall speed

xEik
18th December 2002, 02:08 AM
In fact tracks like Porto Kora or Talon's Reach require zero braking, even at Phantom speed.
Which track would be the equivalent in Fusion?

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Fatal
18th December 2002, 03:17 AM
thx for that
ive suspected that right brake for right turns etc etc but i wanted to confirm

Lance
18th December 2002, 04:30 AM
:roll:

Fatal
18th December 2002, 11:09 AM
thats right keep rolling ur eyes.

infoxicated
18th December 2002, 12:29 PM
Had you played any of the previous Wipeout's?

The tracks are so wide in Fusion that you rarely have to use the air-brakes when your handling is upgraded, but in previous versions of the game, good technique with them is essential :)

Welcome to the site, Fatal.

Synthetic Consciousness
18th December 2002, 06:48 PM
[Lan:ce]

Even Kel Solaar was a rookie pilot, at one time. :wink:

Although I rarely use airbrakes, I like using them occasionally for powersliding; especially around hairpins like in Gare d'Europa, Valparaiso, and Stanza Inter. Makes for cool-looking replays...even if my time suffers quite considerably. :lol:

Lance
18th December 2002, 07:53 PM
since the effect of an airbrake is immediately evident when you use it, even to newbies, which i also once was, i naturally assumed that he's just tweaking our noses, so to speak, as a joke. the recent history of some of our other new members who arrived here from the fusion boards predisposes me to see such motives. the exact nature of this particular case is as yet uncertain. :)

and btw, 'fatal', you posted this exact same question in 2 different sections of the forums. please do not do this; post each subject only in the section where it best fits.

SC: have you noticed if the ships in 2097 slide more easily than those in WO3? i have the impression that they do. [i only have 2097 on the PC] i seem to have to really sustain the brake in WO3 to get that effect, which usually results in my sliding the ship into a wall when i didn't want to. i'm sure it must be this flaw in my driving that keeps me out of first place in the Phantom class times tables ;)

Synthetic Consciousness
19th December 2002, 12:34 AM
They do slide a lot more easily in XL, and the sliding is more pronounced, too...that's what makes it so fun! :P The airbraking seems a bit more 'stiff' and controlled in 3; whereas in XL they whip you about. It's fun to use the left airbrake to slingshot around that suicide hairpin in Gare d'Europa. :D

Fatal
19th December 2002, 04:21 AM
yeh now im up to the 6th league and im finding that brakes r only necessary for tiny corners when Reece got complete upgrades for stability :lol:

Harvai
2nd January 2003, 11:45 AM
what the hell are airbrakes? 8)
just played a demo of this game and it rocks!
one thing that surprised me is that the ships go really fast now, like 800+ k's :o , an' the fonts hard to read too.