PDA

View Full Version : New WipeOut League for HD, Pure & Pulse

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 02:30 AM
This league is going to be temporarily shutdown until development is finished.

YAWL will be re-opened in 4-6 months once development is finished. I will maintain all existing accounts and data.

SaturnReturn
3rd January 2010, 02:48 PM
I like the site. If it can be used to help arrange matches then it will be brilliant. :+ Organisation is often the hardest part.

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 03:01 PM
The Event scheduling tool is the main focus. I was in a league last year where time zones got in the way of organizing the matches. which is why I wanted a time scheduling feature that could handle different time zones. BTW, I fixed the the Time Zone entry problem. The registration form wasn't loading it. It was a last minute addition to the registration and I missed a line of code.

SaturnReturn
3rd January 2010, 03:10 PM
It should be very useful in that sense. Time zones are sometimes quite difficult to grasp and can be a hindrance. I noticed a couple of other things, which I let you know via PM on the site.

Maybe out a little more explanation in the original post to let people know what it is and how you intend to use it? That way they can decide better if they're interested in testing it out.

Also, no need to quote the message directly above yours - check out the forum guidelines. ;)

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 03:34 PM
Sorry about the quoting. Its a bad habit I have from another forum which is completely unmoderated.

I will update my original post with more details about the site usage and design. Thanks for your help, Saturn.

Reezy
3rd January 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi I'm interested in joining. Thanks :)

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 05:43 PM
Reezy, I PM'ed you an Invite Code.

Mr Phlanj
3rd January 2010, 07:58 PM
can it be used for pusle aswell??

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 08:05 PM
I can configure it to work with PSP wipeout games as well if there is enough interest.

Mr Phlanj
3rd January 2010, 08:07 PM
that would be cool because i was thinking that you're website could re-kindle big races for the pulse and pure pilots

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 08:13 PM
I'll have to add a few extra form elements to get it working. Shouldn't take more than a couple days.

kanar
3rd January 2010, 09:11 PM
Hey Torquedsoul,

First, big congrats for your dedication, this website looks excellent. I was wondering if your ELO ranking could suit with avalon. I think it could be a great addition to collect all the datas from the races, & not just the new no-gun records. We're usually playing thousands of races during these week-ends, and this ELO rankings could add another dimension to the competition. The major issue I'm already noticing though, is data collecting; not sure we could take a pic of each race (+ the fact not everyone hosting the event could record what's happening), then input all the datas in your website, + the 20 races limit (maybe we could play sets of 20 races though)... + the fact I have a real life too, not sure I could find time for that but... Anyway I would be glad to have a look at your stuff if you're ok. Again, congrats for the work!

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 09:27 PM
to kanar:

The 20 race limit is arbitrary. I did it to avoid people abusing the system or data cramming. It can be increased if there is a justification for it.

I'll be adding a tournament module later that will help with larger tournaments with hundreds of matches.

Data collection will always be problem for big events. Thats why its important to have numerous event managers inputing data. That way no one person gets stuck trying to cram all the data in. The tools to post results is a point and click tool. Here is how it works. All the participants are in a select box on the left. the event manager just has to select a participant and add them to result selector. and then use up and own tools to put them in order. There is no typing involved. I will post a screenshot of the tool later. I can post results for a match in 15-30 seconds.

Here is an image of the post results widget. (http://www.divergentinformatics.com/YAWL/image/screenshot-postresults.png)

right now all that is recorded is the finish becuase I dont want to burden every league or tournament with data they dont care about. I will however be adding the capacity for league and tournament managers to decide just what data they want to collect for each match, which with WipeOut would probably be things like time for races and kills and such for eliminator. I dont want as a part of the standard framework becuase some people may not care about having that much data.

Data entry was something I focused on also. I wanted people to be able to quickly and easily post results. Not only does it help with data entry ... becuase its all data driven from the database it helps with data integrity also.

kanar
3rd January 2010, 09:44 PM
We'll be 2 for sure at home in february, & maybe 3. So we could give your stuff a try, and post results in 15/30 secs as you said. And we could extend that to all the host crew. Just let me know if you're interested in some kind of cooperation. Btw would it be possible to send me an invitation code too, I would be glad to check your website.

TorquedSoul
3rd January 2010, 09:55 PM
I can set up an league for avalon in the system. I have the backend to support granting and restricting event management. so yes you can have multiple event managers entering data and you can pick who is allowed to do it.

If you want to PM me the structure of the avalon tournament/league I can make sure the functionality is available for February. I will review your avalon thread to see what I can get from there. But it might be easier for you to just describe the format to me. As I said it was my intent to let users manage their own leagues. If you want try it you can pilot the tournament and league management system as I develop it.

kanar
3rd January 2010, 10:01 PM
good stuff mate. I've a giant headache atm, and it's midnight here lol, so I'll pm you tomorrow.

Kyonshi
5th January 2010, 03:16 AM
Hey TS, i've joined the website, but is the reply function still active atm? I didnt received further instructions to fully access the site. :)

Edit: What's an ELO rating system?? :lol Pardon my ignorance...

TorquedSoul
5th January 2010, 03:31 AM
You had a typo in your email address. I manually activated your account. You can log in now.

ELO rating system is the system that is use Chess. This variation allows for the ELO score to handle multiplayer games. The change in ELO after an event will be the aggregate change of all the competitors expected and actual results as they relate to your and your competitors ELO scores . Sounds complicated but its actually pretty simple ... if anyone is interested in seeing the formula I can post it.

ONlock
5th January 2010, 12:41 PM
This is the kind of league setup I have been waiting for!

I want in!

SaturnReturn
6th January 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm having some troubles in Firefox. I log in and get logged straight back out again. Any idea why?

TorquedSoul
6th January 2010, 11:03 PM
I have the website set up to only allow one active session at a time. So if you log in from two browsers (or two machines) the the older of the two sessions will be logged out within two minutes. But judging by the access log, You haven't been getting very far past the login.

Also, make sure you are using the new URL: http://yawl.divergentinformatics.com as I had to change some of the cookie parameters. This may lead to your session being viewed as not valid if you are using a cookie from the old URL due to path restrictions.

Try deleting all cookies associated with this website and clearing your cache (I will be making modifications to the .js files so sometimes the cache needs refreshed)

I haven't been having any issues and it looks as if Kanar has been in today as well. If the above doesn't work let me know.

SaturnReturn
6th January 2010, 11:40 PM
New URL works fine. Thanks.:+

EDIT: Thread moved over here to Arena section and renamed to allow for all encompassing site with HD, Pure and Pulse tournament options.

SaturnReturn
8th January 2010, 09:33 PM
For anyone signed up to the site who has WOHD, TorquedSoul has scheduled a test event for tomorrow (Saturday). Check your inbox on the site for details.

TorquedSoul
8th January 2010, 10:18 PM
Looks like it may not happen. We'll have to wait and see if anyone is around during the scheduled time. I'll just reschedule to next week if no one is. I think some don't know what exactly they are looking at on the YAWL website so I'm going to write up a bunch of mini How-To's to help get people acclimated. I'll be posting them in the YAWL group here on the WZ for now until I clean up my help file on the site.

ACE-FLO
13th January 2010, 09:29 PM
Well, the 'wipEr Wednesdays' event proved successful tonight... we're onto something special here, :) thank you TorquedSoul :)

remember, every Wednesday at 9pm GMT london time - more info on the YAWL site...

peace! ACE

kanar
14th January 2010, 06:18 AM
great stuff yes, was really intense! Even if I was awful, I enjoyed a lot these 2 tournaments. I'm already happy for my 2 wins on metropia lol, the rest was :paperbag... anyway lol. Congrats to "iceman" Sat for his wins, TorquedSoul, Kao & Ace big congrats too, you guys ruined my nerves lol:clap

SaturnReturn
14th January 2010, 08:32 PM
Iceman? I don't know where that came from...but I like it.:D

leungbok
15th January 2010, 06:34 AM
Not a "top gun" reference ?

kanar
15th January 2010, 07:26 AM
ah ah kind of, but in fact I was just impressed by the way Sat kept his concentration during the 2 tournaments. Huge online experience = win lol.

brainbeat
15th January 2010, 10:37 AM
hi i would like to try this out, can i have an invite code pls

TorquedSoul
18th January 2010, 09:25 PM
I promised some of you I would post the php code for the ELO calculations. I had to scrub some of my system code out of the functions as well as rearrange them a bit so there may be some typo ... so test them first if you want to use them.

function Event_get_expected($RatingA,$RatingB){

/*
* This function calculates the expected result based on the ratings of two competitors
* $RatingA and $RatingB are the ELO ratings of the two competitors.
*/
$A = pow(10,($RatingA/400));
$B = pow(10,($RatingB/400));
$expected_result = ($A)/($A + $B);
return $expected_result;

}

function Event_getKval ($rating,$provisional) {

/*
* This function just grabs the K-Value for a particular competitor based on the ELO rating and whether they are provisional
* The values in the function can be adjusted to modify your error curve.
* $rating is the ELO rating of competitor A, not B.
* $provisional (optional) is a boolean value that represents the provisional status of competitor A.
* These K values are based on the FIDE system.
*/
if ($provisional == true) {
return 25;
} elseif ($rating > 2400) {
return 10;
} else {
return 15;
}
}

function Event_calc_elo ($rating,$expected,$actual,$provisional) {

/*
* This function calculates the ELO for a one on one match, that is, against one competitor
* $rating is the ELO rating of Competitor A.
* $expected is the value calculated between competitor A and B.
* $actual is the actual result, a floating point value.
* IF there was just one match between them, this value will either be 1.0 or 0.
* IF they have two matches and split them it will be 0.5, etc.
* $provisional (optional) is a boolean value representing the provisional status of competitor A.
*/

$K = Event_getKval($rating,$provisional);
$adjustment = $K*($actual - $expected);
$new_rating = $rating + $adjustment;
return $new_rating;

}

function Event_calc_elo_multi ($rating,$expected,$actual,$provisional){

/*
* This function supports multiple competitors.
* $expected and $actual are both arrays and there indices are paired for each competitor.
* So competitor B would have its data stored in $expected[0] and $actual[0], C would be $expected[1] and $actual[1], etc.
* $expected and $actual should be the same length.
*/

$K = Event_getKval($rating,$provisional);
$adjustment = 0;
for ($i = 0; $i < count($expected); $i++){
$adjustment += $K*($actual[$i] - $expected[$i]);
}
$new_rating = $rating + $adjustment;
return $new_rating;

}

SaturnReturn
19th January 2010, 06:22 PM
Won't be able to make the weekend run on Saturday. I shall be enjoying afternoon tea at the National Dining Rooms. Well, either that or I'll be denied entry for being too scruffy and/or common looking.

TS - The event invites only have an accept and ignore feature. Is it possible to add a reply feature? It could be as a message or a kind of 'wall' to write on.

As for messages themselves, if you send one to multiple users, then does a reply also go to all those users? I replied to ACE form a message that you originally sent to me and it stayed in the same message thread with all the original users at the top. It might be better to separate them out so we don't get confused and send messages to the wrong people.

I'm still trying to think of suggestions for the tournament feature. The only thing I can think of right now is that it would be good to have something to denote when disconnections and restarts occur, as often happens.

One other thing - does event validation have to be approved by all who took part? It might be worth setting it up to be the majority to validate. Or you could allow everyone to enter their scores (if they have them) and it could check them all against each other. That shouldn't be a requirement though, just an option.

Just a couple of things to think about there - apologies if any of it is covered in your help files, as I haven't had time to read them yet.

TorquedSoul
19th January 2010, 08:36 PM
Regarding Messages: It was my intention to have messages operate like message boards threads so anyone joined in the thread will see all replies. The message will always show the who created the thread as the sender. If you wish to branch on a particular topic, right now you will need to create a new message to the user if you have private comments. I will make it easier to do so in the future by giving an option in the threads, but it s low priority at the moment.

Regarding Event validation: there will be more options for this down the road and ultimately it will be decided by the league manager. With v0.3 League managers will be able to edit events and force validation. If an event isn't being processed due to someone not validating, just let the league manager konw and they can force it if they want. Validation is an important part of the process. It creates a level of trust between players and help maintain some level of data integrity. In peer run systems, this approach is necessary. There will be many more features down the road to deal with players who bulk when they dont like a result. Ultimately, this a social activity, and rules governing normal social interaction will inevitably have an effect, one way or the other.

Regarding invitation replies: I will see if I can squeeze this into the next release ... but it will definitely be in v0.4. I will need modify a few functions to get it in there. I will just have it added to the Event comments.

I appreciate any feedback. So thanks for your input. Its easy for me to get caught up in the code and forget that people actually need to be able to use this stuff.

SaturnReturn
19th January 2010, 10:50 PM
No worries. It's pretty good already.:+

TorquedSoul
31st January 2010, 03:30 PM
This league is going to be temporarily shutdown until development is finished.

YAWL will be re-opened in 4-6 months once development is finished. I will maintain all existing accounts and data.

Razgriz375
19th February 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm interested in joining. For the psp games, does it have to go through Xlink, or can we use Pulse's online play as standard?

dirtywaffle
19th May 2010, 01:19 AM
may i join?