PDA

View Full Version : Emergency noob question: say no to 2.10?

Xavier
2nd January 2010, 02:57 PM
Finally got a PS3 (limited FFXIII edition!) and this game! :rock

I downloaded Wipeout HD and Fury together, buying it from the US site (they took sales tax; are you kidding me, Sony?), and the first time I started it up, it demanded that I download 2.10. Knowing what was in that update, I pressed X to go back, and the game still loaded up and ran fine. All the events are there and are unlocking themselves as I complete earlier events.

Can I continue playing this old version for as long as I like until I go online again?

I'm very far from being able to race against you guys online, so I'd be happy to hone my skills on this ad-free original version (truly an aesthetic triumph; each course/class/team logo is like a little work of art) before finally submitting to the 2.10 overlords?

Will my stats be erased or something when I switch over? If so, I'll just get the switch done with now.

I'm really, really impressed with what I've seen in the hour or so that I spent playing the game. This is what Wipeout should be. Wow.

SaturnReturn
2nd January 2010, 03:17 PM
I think you can just play offline without the update, and then update later, without losing anything. Some people have lost data after updating, but that's because their data became corrupted, for whatever unfortunate reason. I've not lost anything from any update myself. Making a backup before updating would be a good idea I guess.

I read that there were some minor changes to the game with 2.10. One site mentions the scoring of detonator and eliminator mode, and fixes to issues with sound. I don't know about those modes though, as I don't play them, and unless you are noticing sound issues, then the update probably isn't in any way essential until you go online.

Xavier
2nd January 2010, 03:23 PM
OK, I did notice something -- the records don't actually use my name next to the top times; they just say 'PLAYER'. I can't find a stat screen (like Pure and Pulse had), so I'm not sure if that's being tracked or not.

Is that normal?

And Saturn, what can I make a backup of? My save file, or the whole game?

SaturnReturn
2nd January 2010, 03:59 PM
You can backup the game's save file and it should save all your campaign progress and stats etc. Ship ghosts have to be saved individually, which can take a while, so maybe keep track of them and back them up as you go along. To backup either the game save or ghosts you can just save them to a USB stick or external hard drive.

Alternatively, you can backup the entire PS3 hard drive onto an external hard drive, and it should save all the games, music, movies, etc, that you have on there. There may be some exceptions, but it should be a near complete backup.

For records, if you don't log on, then they won't update on the online tables, and it will just show player as your name. You can use Connavar's ranking site (http://wipeout.gamerstats.net/) if you want to compare times, and then enter your own. It's generally more reliable anyway, and gives you various rankings.

Will check for you to see where the stats page is. I can't remember right now. Maybe under options....

EDIT: Stats are under Options>Extras>Statistics (Hit left or right on d-pad to flip through pages)

Xavier
2nd January 2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Saturn!

I guess I'll just stick with this unsullied version until I finish the pre-made events and develop some skill. No sense spoiling an already-great game!

IH8YOU
3rd January 2010, 09:15 AM
Unsullied version is 1.2 - not 2.1. :nod

amplificated
3rd January 2010, 09:26 AM
Honestly I don't really see a need to avoid updating, there's nothing wrong with it other than ads (which are avoidable). There are some tweaks and fixes here and there, but as a noob you probably wouldn't notice them anyway.

If you have to constantly d/c your internet every time you go to play some wipeout, I'd say just take the plunge and update since you'll be disconnecting to avoid the ads anyway.

And at least you'll be able to update the leaderboards if you wanted with your PSN ID.

Koleax
3rd January 2010, 04:03 PM
The framerate in the original is a bit better. Also the male voiceover in addition the female, which is kind of cool. I'm going back to the original right now actually.

Amplificated is right, though, you can get around the ads even with the update.

Is it a big deal for you to download the game again? If not, then I suggest updating and giving it a shot. Otherwise you can always delete it and download the un-updated version again.

SaturnReturn
3rd January 2010, 04:20 PM
Even in the offline mode, I found that the most recent update seemed to increase the frequency of stuttering when in TT and SL etc. This is quite annoying for me. I can't really verify this, but it would be enough reason for me to not update if I wasn't going to go online for a while, as it annoys me quite a lot. But as others have said, adverts seem to be either gone, or avoidable. So when you do want to go online, they shouldn't be a problem.

leungbok
3rd January 2010, 05:53 PM
Even in the offline mode, I found that the most recent update seemed to increase the frequency of stuttering when in TT and SL etc.

I feel that too, but i can't be totally affirmative !:o

Xavier
3rd January 2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all this advice, guys. I know I'm a major latecomer to this game and am happy that other people are also playing the original version and are able to compare them.

My internet setup at home isn't anything to brag about -- it's PPPoE and only one device can be online at a time. Since the default is to have the computer online, I don't usually have that Ethernet cable in the PS3. I only plugged it in once to sign up for the PS Store (just US, so far) and to download Wipeout HD. Somehow I managed to download the demo twice; I'm still figuring this thing out!

The early events are a mixture of "way too easy" (Zone... I can hit 25-35 zones even on courses I've never raced) and inexplicably difficult (can't even come within sight of 7th place on Sebenco Climb -- it's the turns), so I've got a way to go before online racing is possible.

What's this about getting around the ads? How is this possible?

SaturnReturn
4th January 2010, 12:35 AM
I think it was Koleax who found the answer.
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161194&postcount=195

Koleax
4th January 2010, 02:32 AM
Handy link. :+ :)