PDA

View Full Version : WipeoutHD Dynamic Theme?

gettinmoney662
1st January 2010, 11:17 PM
Any news on if it's comin to NA?

Vartazian
1st January 2010, 11:34 PM
Make a European account.

Problem solved.

gettinmoney662
2nd January 2010, 02:36 AM
No thanks.

eLhabib
2nd January 2010, 02:50 AM
Suit yourself, then. :P Creating a euro account takes 5 minutes to do and gives you access to tons of stuff you can't get in the US...

AG-wolf
2nd January 2010, 03:21 AM
can you use an american credit card to make purchases?

eLhabib
2nd January 2010, 12:30 PM
nope.

TheFrostE
2nd January 2010, 12:58 PM
well that settles it...if PSN cards from other countries werent so goddam overpriced on ebay id be buying JP, EU, and HK content like nobodys business.

*drools over demons souls dynamic theme in JP psn store*

crawdad62
2nd January 2010, 02:54 PM
That seems like something us Wipers could help out with IMHO. I mean we've got members world wide. You think we could set something up.

Xavier
2nd January 2010, 03:02 PM
Indeed, FrostE, I could probably be of service to you when it comes to Japanese PSN cards. For me it would just be a matter of stopping by at the local 7-11.

TheFrostE
2nd January 2010, 03:38 PM
i would love that...so lets say i wire you 50$ or something, you can get me the equivalent of 50$ in Yen in the form of a PSN card?

AG-wolf
2nd January 2010, 04:00 PM
hey toss me in on that too if I ever needed something; though I'm not quite sure what the japanese store would have, I'd have to make an account first to browse

AurigaAB
12th February 2010, 12:11 PM
Apparently the dynamic theme has dropped onto the US PSN: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/playstation-store-update-123/

Maybe Sony still cares about (making money from) WipEout. Just maybe.

OBH
12th February 2010, 12:14 PM
Its free over this side of the pond.
Id rather cut off my fingers than pay for a theme :)

AG-wolf
12th February 2010, 12:22 PM
meh, they're just trying to make a buck at every opportunity possible since everyone is angry at them.

I don't like the idea of paying for themes either, but I'm willing to throw three bucks down for the Wipeout HD one... though I still do like the free Gravity Crash theme, you just have to disable the sounds because theyre too loud

PLazarou
12th February 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm afraid I strongly dislike the Wipeout dynamic theme. It's well made but the whole thing is too dynamic for a background. The animation is quite frantic, and the loop is short, so you learn the way it repeats within the first couple of minutes of it being active. It just becomes annoying after that.

In my opinion a background theme should barely distract your eyes - the default XMB wave is a good example of a moving background not getting on your nerves. I would much prefer a Wipeout theme with the same unobtrusive style - perhaps just a ships slowly rotating on the spot. Or bobbing up and down slightly while being tested in a wind tunnel. The more simple the animation, the less annoying a short loop is, because you can't point out a start or finish.

ACE-FLO
12th February 2010, 02:21 PM
agreed, too distracting mate... i'd like to see a dynamic theme in a blu-print style, scrolling ships and ship stats across the top of the screen, and animated ship vectors (still in blu-print style) displayed under the XMB user icons... oh those icons from the dynamic theme can stay, I like those, they're ok :)... colours should be minimal, like white on midnight blue and that's it... li really want one now :(

crawdad62
12th February 2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah if it's too busy it would be a pass for me. I know I've had some static backgrounds that made it hard to see the XMB let alone one that's moving the background around. Not only that but it's $3.00!? I've never even looked at the backgrounds in the store that cost $. And people complain that Wipeout DLC was $10? Crazy.

Xavier
12th February 2010, 02:33 PM
They want three dollars for it?

So it's three-tenths as good as Fury, then?

Wow; it must be amazing! ^_^;

aethernet
12th February 2010, 03:55 PM
Trust me, you won't use it as an actual background anyways for the reasons already mentioned. Just watch the youtube videos of it.

blackwiggle
12th February 2010, 04:13 PM
Apart from being distracting, it doesn't stick anyway.
If you set it as the background theme,then you turn your PS3 off,the next time you turn it on again, you will find the majority of the time the PS3 would of reverted back to the bog standard theme.

Dark-Twisted
14th February 2010, 02:19 AM
Everything frantic and moving to rapidly is a pain, but that isn't my biggest reason on hating dynamic themes. The fact that the firmware updates add new icons, which are never updated in themes bugs me the most, it makes it feel outdated, and from there I'll never use it... what makes this worse is that applies to all the overpriced themes too. Personally, I love the Fury theme's icons, but as said before me, the wallpaper is too frantic, and it is already missing icons.

What I'd like is the ability to mix and match themes- I'd like to see the MotorStorm: Arctic Edge dynamic theme background and Fury dynamic theme icons merged on my screen. I really hate how the Arctic Edge proves my point on icons (<2.70 chat icons WHY?!) and has the best background, while the Fury theme has the great icons and terrible background.

In summary: UPDATE THE THEMES, and bring in the ability to MIX 'N' MATCH THEM!

LOUDandPROUD
14th February 2010, 03:33 AM
Actually, you can mix and match kinda. For instance, I bought the WOHD Dynamic Theme (couldn't resist), set it as my theme and, like many have said, felt it was too distracting, but liked the icons. So, I downloaded the free Gravity Crash outer space wallpaper (not the whole Gravity Crash theme) and then set it as my wallpaper...now I still have the WOHD icons, except paired with the Gravity Crash wallpaper! And they compliment each other perfectly! :)

Z°ⁿε
14th February 2010, 04:35 AM
I have about $20 Canadian to burn, could someone hook me up in Euro's?

PLazarou
14th February 2010, 05:54 PM
Actually, you can mix and match kinda. For instance, I bought the WOHD Dynamic Theme (couldn't resist), set it as my theme and, like many have said, felt it was too distracting, but liked the icons. So, I downloaded the free Gravity Crash outer space wallpaper (not the whole Gravity Crash theme) and then set it as my wallpaper...now I still have the WOHD icons, except paired with the Gravity Crash wallpaper! And they compliment each other perfectly! :)
Tbh the Gravity Crash icons look better - less fussy. I use them with a tasteful screenshot of Fury as my background. The non-standard click sounds are annoying though, so I've turned them off.

LOUDandPROUD
15th February 2010, 01:12 AM
Well I guess that means I like fussy icons then. :p