PDA

View Full Version : If this is London East End...

Piranha Advancements
13th December 2002, 05:17 PM
I sure hate them roads and traffics.I was happy happy joy joy when I got The Getaway.Nice interface,beautiful looking game,spiffy Brit expletives( but I still ~can't get used~ to put it nicely,the accent.In Summoner2,Mr.Bean,Blackadder,Fawlty or whatever.But Goodness Gracious Me and Ali G is allright I suppose but nevermind,I'm ust blabbing ).

But what's with the clunky controls? Vehicles handle authentically? They're like rubber lubricants! True,this should not be compared to Vice City but for a first mission,I kinda hate the learning curve.It's not pulling me in as I thought it would do.So anyone else got this game?

Along with Getaway,I already got myself Dead to Rights,MK:DA,Smackdown:Shut Your Mouth,Shinobi,Suikoden3,Legaia 2,LMA 2003,Wild Arms 3,Robot Alchemic Drive and Timesplitters 2.I've been naughty so they came out of my own pocket.45 games and counting.It'll tide me over till Ministry of Sound drops by this New Year.

So anyone else bought themselves a nice amount of yuletide gaming happiness?

Wamdue
14th December 2002, 10:18 AM
yeah I bought Splinter Cell and Mechassault. Splinter Cell is awesome, ive had it for 2 weeks now and Im still on the last mission :)

Wiseman
16th December 2002, 06:13 AM
I can't wait until they release the new levels for Splinter Cell, supposed to be sometime around the begining of next year. Anyway, I love that game, definitely one of my most favorite of the year. :D

MK:DA is also a great game, still trying to unlock everything, LOL.

Wamdue
17th December 2002, 11:21 AM
yeah , im trying to decide if I should buy gta:vice or a dc vga-adapter.. cause, I got like, i dunno how many hundreds of hours of playtime in gta3..gotten a little tired of it.

infoxicated
17th December 2002, 06:15 PM
If you're pissed off with GTA 3 then Vice City is probably not for you. True, it has motorbikes and helicopters, plus the voice acting is superb, but it's the same old same old, really.

If the poor camera was annoying in GTA3, it is a spectacular pain in the ass in Vice City - lost count of the amount of missions I failed due to not being able to see who was attacking me or ending up facing the wrong way because the camera/controls go out of sync. :evil:

It's still a cool game and has the most comprehensive soundtrack of the 80's going (although I think 80-90% of the tracks featured in the game wouldn't have made the airwaves in 1986 when the game is set!), but it's all been done before and they haven't really put the effort into solving the playability problems.

Wamdue
19th December 2002, 07:47 AM
yeah, ill save some money for something else. Maybe some more ram or something for the computer :)

Piranha Advancements
19th December 2002, 08:14 AM
Fox is evil!!! Hehe..really,Vice City is like...*drool*.True,it's sorta just an updated format of GTA3 but we waited for the hype and it lived up to it.Anyone getting the radio station box sets? Damn,it's expensive.Just felt like getting V-Rock though.

Yeppers on MK:DA.I love the new fighting system.I hate the gabillion koffins that need to be opened.

infoxicated
19th December 2002, 10:35 AM
I got V Rock, Wave 103 and Wildstyle.

The last one is absolute pants, but V Rock is tops - especially the Love Fist track... man I wish they were a real band "Ah ahm Love Fist, lady!"

As for being evil, well - if you've seen Ratchet and Clank, which has a wonderful camera system then it really does highlight how bad the GTA engine is. They'll need to do something about it before GTA 4 / GTA Sin City, whichever comes first, or it will begin to damage the franchise.

Piranha Advancements
19th December 2002, 04:55 PM
Is Ratchet and Clank that good? I just turn a deaf ear to my friend's persistent naggings that it's damn good and I should get it.I heard the stages are massive.Like..really massive.

And what is this..Splinter Cell? I sound so ignorant,maybe..I should look it up on Gamefaqs or Gamespy.

Wiseman
19th December 2002, 06:56 PM
The only real problem I have with the camera is when I walk into buildings and the like. Most of my problems from VC come from the massive amount of bugs that are in the game. :x

Anyway, I just got the whole set back when they had it for $49.99 (not sure if they still sale it at that or if that was a special deal) but mostly listen to V-Rock, Wildstyle and Emotion.

Dragon
19th December 2002, 07:48 PM
hhhmmm, a good game lets see, Final Fantasy 10 is good if u like RPGs, then theres Gran Turismo 3 for a good real racing game, Wipeout is also excellent for futer racers :)

Piranha Advancements
19th December 2002, 08:41 PM
Correction,Dragon.FFX International is a good game.Hyuk hyuk.Penance,Dark Aeons,Ribbons..although Distillers abilities are worthless.

Oh yeah,do not get Auto Modellista..now.Aside from the game being easy(it can be completed in 2 hrs) and the neat decals,cool cell replays and what-you-wish with the cars,other than that...nothing so good about it.Or wait for the US release next year and hopefully,Capcom does something more about it.

Lance
19th December 2002, 08:55 PM
automodellista: i was looking forward to it because i wanted to try a good cel-shaded game; sorry to hear it's so easy. does it allow saving racetimes? what is the handling of the cars like? is the AI a pushover?

Piranha Advancements
20th December 2002, 04:21 AM
1 - Yae.And you need to manual tune your cars as drifting might look flashy ( and hard to come by also.You have to do it for a purpose in this.Oh yeah,on other games,say on S-turns and you just want to drive a nice straight illegal racing line and just speed on the sand....let's just say that it's a bad idea to do it here)

2 -Don't expect to power slide here and there the first time you play.Like I said,you need to manual tune your cars.I can't compare the fine tune option t osay GT or GT Concept cuz I didnt get em,maybe it just feels more..cell-shadey like? Ah..that was a worthless sentence.

3 -A.I. is off the mark most of the time.Their top priority is the racing line and even if you bump em',block em' or poke em' in the back,their speed is maintained.Odd.

And really,do not get the PAL version. which is the one out now.You can't fully complete this game.You can have full 100% on Special and Hidden Cars but never higher than 70% for Completion...which many suspect needs Network Mode...which ain't supported in the PAL one...sigh...

Vasudeva
20th December 2002, 05:39 PM
I really like GTA Vice City and I haven't been annoyed at all with the camera. Okay, sometimes it can be dodgy but that's the problem with nearly all 3D games (that, along with collision), and I experienced relatively few difficulties with GTA in that area.

I usually listen to Wave103 when I'm in the car, or put on one of those crazy chat channels which are absolutely wicked. Of course, I like the game better, probably because I never played GTA3 and only saw its predecessors being played for a few minutes at friends'.

I can't wait until MK:DA comes out in Europe. I'm glad Liu Kang is dead. Evil!

Peace,
V.

Wamdue
21st December 2002, 12:27 AM
I miss Baraka, havent seen him in any screenshots of mkda yet :/

As for gta:vice, well, I wouldnt be sad if I got it for xmas. But buying it with my own money ( hey I dont have any income of my own ) I will not.

xEik
21st December 2002, 12:36 AM
hey I dont have any income of my own
Is tough being a student isn't it? ;) At least economically speaking.

If nothing goes wrong I'm beginning to have a kind of salary from May while I'll be doing my 'stage' or 'end of studies project' or whatever it's called in English :P

By October I should be in my way to unemployment. ;) :P

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Vasudeva
21st December 2002, 10:58 AM
@ Wamdue

Nope, no Baraka. It appears that many fans like him but I never did. But then again I have a somewhat odd taste when it comes down to warriors. I belong to the minority who can handle Sub-Zero much better than Scorpion, for instance.

What irks me more than Baraka being left out (which in fact doesn't irk me at all :wink:), as one of the only things in MK:DA, is that they have continued the trend of erasing almost all new characters in the previous installments. Look at MK4: *none* of the characters new in MK3 made it there (in MKGold - 4,5 so to speak - Cyrax and Sektor returned though). And now it's almost the same: of the new characters in MK4 only Quan Chi returns. Cyrax also returns from MK3. The rest is either entirely new or comes from the first two installments.

/Ranting over. I might have warned you. Too late :D.

Peace,
V.

Piranha Advancements
22nd December 2002, 04:11 AM
Still,it's worth it to get MK:DA.At least,finally,Midway does something fresh to it's already. if not,dwindling series.And for someone who wants a good MK since the great MK2.Should there be a next series after MK:DA...I hope they dont kill off Frost or Li Mei..and their second costumes.

Here's to MK:Domination and pray that it doesnt suck as much as Annihilation.Ole!

Vasudeva
22nd December 2002, 09:30 AM
I don't personally think the series is dwindling right now. In fact, it's back in full force! But indeed they should not have given MK3 two additional lifespans and they might have made MK4 a bit more challenging even though the gameplay is superb.

Peace,
V.