PDA

View Full Version : LBP Pirates of the Caribbean -[Water pack] 22nd Dec

blackwiggle
17th December 2009, 01:12 AM
MM announced that the previously called "Water" pack will now be called the Pirates of the Caribbean pack.

It will be available from Dec 22nd ,price slated at UK 4.75 ,so the same as the MGS pack.
Plus you have the obligatory costume pack [Purchased separately] as well.

5 new story levels,11 new trophies [which are viewable now when you compare trophies]
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/12/15/yo-ho-yo-ho-a-pirates-life-for-me/#more-10983

For those wondering what you can & can't do with the water pack, I copied some of the pre release details from the beta trial guys found out.

Water General Behaviour

* Water applies an upward force to objects in it dependent on the size and density of the objects. Most objects will either float to the top or sink to the bottom.
* Water has a dampening effect on objects that are in it i.e. fast moving or spinning objects will generally be slowed down by being under water. Obviously they may still accelerate due to gravity.
* Water applies a force on objects in the water when the water level is changed. I.e. if the water level is increased objects will be pushed upwards.
* Lethal materials behave the same underwater with the exception of fire objects which are extinguished when the shape becomes fully submerged. NB. This does not apply to certain mesh objects such as the candle object.

Water Control

* Water height across the whole level can be changed, from no water to very nearly the top of the level.
* Water Swell/or Waviness can be turned on or off to a varying amount. This slowly oscillates the height of the water over a period of time.
* Water colour/tint of the water can be changed between several shades and combinations of those shades.
* Water Fog/Murkiness can be changed to make the water look more or less clear

Water and Sackboy

* Sackboy will rise to the surface of the water if he is left still.
* When on the surface sackboy can swim left and right using the left analog stick.
* Pressing jump and an upwards direction or just pressing jump will cause sackboy to jump from the water's surface.
* When sackboy is submerged he can move in all directions using the left analog stick.
* Pressing X gives sackboy more speed through the water in the direction of the stick.
* When sackboy is in shallow water, where his legs can still touch ground, he will control as normal although his movement left and right will be slightly slowed.
* Whilst sackboy is swimming he is pushed towards the front layer unless an object prevents him. (In the same way as the jetpack)
* When sackboy begins to swim in the water all powerups will be automatically removed with the exception of the scuba gear.
* Whilst sackboy is under the water's surface he loses air from his air meter. Sackboy starts with 30 seconds of air.
* Resurfacing or swimming near a bubble machine instantly refills sackboy’s air meter.
* Sackboy will emit bubbles describing how much air he has left at 20 seconds, 15 seconds and a permanent counter will count down from 10 to 0.
* When sackboy's air runs out he will drown and explode into bubbles and bits!
* Sackboy can grab and pull objects underwater and at the water's surface.

Scuba Gear

* The scuba gear object gives sackboy an infinite air supply when he is underwater.
* Picking up the scuba gear object unequips any other powerup. The scuba gear may be picked up underwater as well.
* The scuba object can be unequipped by pressing circle unless sackboy is underwater and using the scuba gear.
* When the scuba gear is equipped certain costume items will not be displayed. When the scuba gear is removed the costumes will display as normal.

Bubble Machine

* The bubble machine refills sackboy's air supply if he is in close proximity to it.
* It can be operated on or off by a switch.

Water Switch

* The water switch is a switch that is activated when it is submerged in water. It can be connected to the same objects as other switches.
* It is attached as a decoration similar to other switches.
* It can be tweaked to adjust behaviour (One-Shot/On-off/Directions), be inverted and made invisible.
* The light on the water switch will activate when it is submerged.

Global Water Object

* Similar to the global lighting object the GWO can change the water's settings over a specified time when it is triggered.
* Be default the GWO is triggered by sackboy's proximity. The radius of detection can be tweaked in the tweak menu.
* If a switch is attached to the GWO it will no longer be activated by sackboy's proximity.
* Only one GWO may control the water's settings at any time. It is always the last object to be activated that takes priority.
* GWO objects cannot be inactivated, as such, only overridden by activating another GWO.
* The GWO is placed as a decoration and can be made invisible like other objects.

* If you try adding water to levels that you have already built there is a good chance that it will break them,reason being that water effects objects depending on their buoyancy,so your level objects will be floating about.
* Water does NOT effect thermometer,[all level have water but some have a water level of zero IE: not used]
* Currently there is no way to make items waterproof or way to reignite fire.
* You can alter the degree of waters reflection [sparkly bits ]
* You can adjust an objects buoyancy ,example: a boat floating on water,to raise boats bow add a small amount of metal or stone below rear of boat.
* You have to work with a WATER LINE,so swimming pools,bathtubs etc are out.
* You CAN'T make object airtight,so submarines are out unless you make a craft and have scuba gear or air bubble machine inside it.
* Electric objects remain electric but do not electrify water.

Magic Mouths will have their characters limit doubled from 128 to 256.
Plus they have some new sounds to go with them.

* Parrot (Fits in nicely with the new POTC Pack!)
* Pirate! (Once again, fits in nicely)
* Damsel
* Geezer

O_BR
17th December 2009, 03:40 PM
That sounds (looks, reads whatever :D) really interesting! Might have to buy that
and play LBP again after a long while.

Amorbis
17th December 2009, 03:57 PM
Water sounds like the best new feature since the game launched. On the few levels I've made I could really have used it, especially on my Game & Watch Octopus mini-game. But like the Metal Gear pack I don't really want to pay almost £5 for a pack, although I am a bit stingy when it comes to DLC.

Maybe I'll see how it works after a few people have made some levels to see if it is worth downloading.

TheFrostE
17th December 2009, 04:37 PM
for me , i doubt ill get it...LBP is dead to me now...as a creator with over 5 full levels published...the last two that i made got less than 10 plays before being buried underneath the pile of BS levels that come out and the same old cool lvls page NEVER changes because those are the only ones people tend to play. i felt my last level was very well made and fun to play...and spending weeks on it only to get nothing but occasional frustration isnt worth it. The only way to get plays on a lvl nowadays is to be one of the few VERY well known creators OR whore your creations out all over the net and in other ppls comment boxes for their lvls and i refuse to resort to that.

you know whats going to happen next week on release....theres gonna be a mass flood of s**t water lvls published and thats all people are going to play for the next month ...then it will die out, just like the MGS stuff.
Rant done....kiss it LBP :turd

PS- as for the story lvls .... the metal gear pack took maybe 3 hours to complete....your really gonna spend that kind of money for that amount of playtime? because no 1 will ever see your water lvl you publish before it gets buried under the "cool levels"

blackwiggle
17th December 2009, 10:33 PM
FrostE
Just republish your levels ,some of the top level design guys do it every 8 hours for the first week or so, so it stays in the New or Cool pages and gets a lot more plays and hearts.

Just like any game, there's a way to get that little bit extra out of it if you know the tricks.

infoxicated
21st December 2009, 08:34 PM
I've taken to playing LBP again recently because my daughter can play it with me. This weekend was the first time I even tried the community levels, because the later ones on the disk are a bit too difficult for her and I was quite surprised at how hit and miss they are.

Some were brilliantly designed but let down by unnecessarily fussy sections that just made them frustrating. Others had a good idea in there, but were poorly executed. A good number of them were completely broken at best and just plain rubbish at worst.

I tried to be constructive in my comments where possible, though, as I appreciate the time and effort that goes into them. Personally I wouldn't have the time or patience to put one together even if I had a good idea for one.

If anyone knows some good fun levels that aren't too difficult that I should search or look out for then please let me know - my little one really enjoys being able to play games with me. :)

mdhay
21st December 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm sure there was one I played a while back, but most of the levels I play are all violent, etc. so I could have a look at some point, just relies on knowing what makes your daughter smile. :D

infoxicated
21st December 2009, 09:31 PM
We were playing a sledge racing one the other day that she loved. It was very simple, but good fun and she kept wanting another go. We also played a couple that I think were called "Wiggle Amusement Park" versions 1 & 2, but they were on rails for the most part.

The best levels for her are ones that mostly steer clear of the z-index, so it's a non-factor and you don't end up trapped for being at the wrong depth. That, and the difficulty spikes in the levels on the disk are the main reasons I haven't played it with her until now. She'll be 4 on new year's eve, though, so she's getting more capable at understanding what's going on with it.

mdhay
21st December 2009, 09:47 PM
Hmm, could do a Super Rub - a Dub level, she'd love that. I could try to come up with something, need an excuse to go on it again. :)

infoxicated
21st December 2009, 09:52 PM
She'd dig that - it's all she had been able to play up until a few months ago when I introduced her to LBP.

Oh, so as not to stray wildly off topic, she does love pirates as well - something to do with me getting The Goonies on Blu-Ray a few months back! ;)

mdhay
21st December 2009, 10:07 PM
I shall remeber that. :g