PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to get back to good form after an absence?

blackwiggle
24th November 2009, 01:26 PM
I have just been "Attempting" to race with the usual suspects in,what would generally be considered at this forum the Elite Phantom league ,and well,to be honest I wasn't any good.
I used to be getting a few 2nd or 3rd's at least in the same company,not now.
Quite frankly "I Sucked"
I was getting owned big time.
My lines were horrible,my air braking abysmal,weapon pick up's [if any, were average] but I should of chosen better what to do with them.
People whose "On Track" antics are quite familiar to me were either making me double think myself,or I have lost the ability to be able read their usual mannerisms to out maneuver them.

It's been a while since I raced in such company,and it showed.

Anybody else "Lost the Touch" from a prolonged absence ?
I haven't raced ruthlessly for at least 2 months,possibly 3 due to a lapse of interest.
But I didn't think I would be losing by 10+ sec on my return.
That hurts.

If the same has happened to you.
How long did it take till you got your racing head back on?
And what did you do to get your "Chops" back,[I tried racing elite but I find it a bit to easy now after racing the top phantom pilots here]

yeldar2097
24th November 2009, 01:47 PM
I went on WO sebatical (;)) when I had my exams during summer.

Took a few (very intense) hours in TT to get back to where I was...If you're looking to get back into it quickly then I'd recommend chasing some of your ghosts on a track/tracks with complex/difficult lines...I think I did Sol 2 and maybe Vineta K (to get BRs/pitching on the go again)....not sure.
If you just want to get back into the game in general it might take a bit longer. I'd advise against going sub-phantom to get back into the swing of things (I know some people have tried this) because you'll get far too used to whichever class it is that you choose and your phantom game will inevitably suffer.

/two cents :g

IDReaper
24th November 2009, 02:37 PM
I've been out of it maybe once or twice before but in general I don't really lay on the hours like a lot of other pilots I've seen. It takes me either a few runs of speed lap per track for a couple of days attempting to catch my ghosts or a single night of online races. The latter works much faster but it is rather embarrassing:paperbag. There have also been many times when I found that after not racing for a while I prefer a different ship. For instance I tend to have a small favor towards Mirage but to get back into Wipeout I almost always have to use AG-Sys classic. All in all though I have found that even with a lack of practice I never have really dropped into abysmal levels. Conversely though practice doesn't make as much difference which is a downer.

JJPAP
24th November 2009, 02:54 PM
I easily "forget" how to do it as well and it comes in many forms:
a) "Away from the game": Was away on vacation for a month this summer. It took me several intense weeks - (not just hours, Yel ... lol) - to get the hang of it again ...
b) "Ghostbusting": Sometimes I get (too) caught up in doing TT´s and SL´s. When entering the MP-arena, I´m usually like a frog on ice - and getting really anoyed ´cause everybody is evil to me ... :lol
c) "Speeding up": At a certain time I spent quite some time at slower speed-classes to see how well I managed. When I went "back" to Phantom: :eek - nothing felt natural ...

Dark_Phantom_89
24th November 2009, 06:57 PM
I once didn't play for a month and it took me a good week to get properly back on form. Phantom seemed too fast at the time until I had some serious practice at it - then all went back to normal.

Rezatron
24th November 2009, 07:21 PM
Didn't play much WOHD last week and when I came back on the weekend I was a little wobbly. Jumping right into high level multiplayer races is not the best idea.

I played a few rounds of TT Talon's Junction (r), Tech De Ra (r) and Modesto (r) on Rapier and that set me straight. Between that and a few online warmups, I would say 1 hour or so is how long it takes me to get back into business.

SaturnReturn
24th November 2009, 07:34 PM
I can't say I really know. When I have had breaks, I've found it impossible to tell whether it's affected my play. Why? Well because online multiplayer is inconsistent just as a general experience, so measuring your own consistency with it is virtually impossible, I think. I therefore agree with Rezatron, that it's not the best thing to jump back into. So first of all, if I wanted to judge where I was in terms of skill compared to pre-break, I would do some TT or SL, as other suggest. A good thing might be to take your worst scores and try to improve them. If you're really not getting anywhere near them, then you probably have lost a bit of momentum, but can get it back by just carrying on. Once you get back to your old times in TT/SL, you're probably good to go. The chances are that you'll have improved your rank and become more familiar with the the tracks too. It's surprising what little nuances exist on some tracks, which are very easy to forget. Weapons usage is, for me, something that I can also forget about, but it comes back quite quickly, like this:
"Contender eliminated"
WTF mate?...Oh yeah...weapons...duh!

Having said that, the one break I did have recently (ish) was a couple of weeks. I came back feeling very rested and eager to get back into the game. I felt my performance was actually better than before the break. But I think this was just because of the rest and I was probably playing more hours after the break too.

In terms of short breaks, like a few days, it makes no difference to me. I could go back online and suck, or do pretty well. I really have no idea how to get into 'the zone' while playing online. :(

billychanxtr33m
25th November 2009, 12:04 AM
i just got back home for break but in the 4 days im home i probably wont get to where i was over the summer

OBH
25th November 2009, 11:28 AM
good topic :) :+

My "immediate form" when turning on wipeout seems to differ massively depending on what mode im playing - if i go for a quick bit of TT or SL, my best time is often set on my 1st or 2nd attempt! Continously lapping the same tracks endlessly seems to rot my brain and my racing lines deteriorate instead of improve.

However if i jump into a multiplayer race instantly, sometimes i dont adapt quickly enough.

So now whenever i turn on wipeout, regardless of how long its been since the last time; a humble strole round an empty track on phantom reasures me that wipeouts like riding a bike -- you never forget :)

I really have no idea how to get into 'the zone' while playing online. :(
simple, when you win, you gotta want more of it! :g theres nothing like repeatidly winning in a room full of quality 'zoners :beer
helps to be host as well, especially for me... i can steer clear of all fury tracks besides TJ :D

shapealot
25th November 2009, 02:22 PM
i stop playin for about 2-3 months after i got my platinum (with pilot assist on i might add) it was only because barnster told me about the forum and showed me all the insane vids on here that got that fire going again. it took me a few days to get back to where i left off, i sucked anyway so not much to re-learn. ive only just started tryin phantom out though, ive bin avoiding it for way too long now :redface:

brainbeat
26th November 2009, 08:00 PM
platinum with pilot assist lol, i bet that was harder like, i managed back then by just knowing a shortcut and most of them u cant do with pa on so hats off too u, must of been decent lines

Mateo
26th November 2009, 08:51 PM
Anybody else "Lost the Touch" from a prolonged absence ?
I haven't raced ruthlessly for at least 2 months,possibly 3 due to a lapse of interest.
But I didn't think I would be losing by 10+ sec on my return.
That hurts.

In early summer I've had a brake for 5 weeks and it took me about a month to reach the same level as before. Since Fury:turd was released I nearly completely stopped playing WO, I don't want to know how long it would take to become competitive again now...

shapealot
26th November 2009, 09:47 PM
thanx brainbeat. i didnt know any better, id never played wipeout before HD

Connavar
27th November 2009, 06:09 AM
It took me 2 weeks after a 2 months break.

Aeroracer
27th November 2009, 10:18 PM
depends how long you played for prior to stoping play
it also depends on how long you stopped for
it also depends on how much passion you have to get back into the game

my advice is

do a bit of zone on a easy track like syncopia to just get used to fast speeds

then do some SL

then do some TT

then if you want to make sure do a few SR

then get online to race...

you could skip everything and just go online but you may just get frustrated when you lose games you were easily winning before you quit.but its all really down to mentality and how you handle winning/losing i guess.

ACE-FLO
27th November 2009, 10:33 PM
... make sure your hands are warm, it helps!

miizu3
30th November 2009, 12:10 AM
I've been away couple of times for about a month, and when I come back it takes a week or two to get "the touch" back. :D I go straight online because it doesn't really bother me if I lose at first. Everyone lose sometimes. I've never understood why some people get so frustrated if they don't win all the time.

Handmadelion
30th November 2009, 03:19 PM
Well me and my DS3 had a falling out ever since he developed this erectile dysfunction, extenze needing, flaccid trigger. But it hasn't been all bad. I'll say more than a few races. I usually do that, just a few races already on Phantom elite. Or a tournament. And by then I'm ready to go online and mingle with the other quality racers, which there are a lot more of now by the way. Lot of new names online flying past me. :lol

Rubix42
3rd December 2009, 01:51 PM
It takes me a week of playing daily to get my touch back whenever I come back after a break. I've never been a top WO pilot, nor will I ever be. I love the series, but I like playing too many other games to ever reach that level of being an Elite pilot.

Regardless, just remembering the little tricks you used to do without thinking, and getting your brain back into form of having split second reactions takes some time. What you have been doing during your break from the game will help. One time I took a break and played Ninja Gaiden, came back and playing that fast paced game helped improve my WO skills. Another time I played FFXII and that game destroyed my WO skills as it is so slow paced.

newtype
16th December 2009, 03:15 AM
I'm about to find out...

RedScar
16th December 2009, 03:46 AM
I actually just did my first race in probably 2 months yesterday, I was expecting to be a lot worse then what I did. Now even before I stopped I was average at best, I can never keep up with most of the pilots from this board (Vart, TCK, looking at you specifically). I came first once (believe on Moa R), and a few seconds and thirds but primarly feel in the 4-7 category. I missed a lot of the BRs that I had down pat and Sol 2 reverse ate me for breakfast, but overall I felt I was competing. There were a couple of times that I held first or second and let myself down with some horrible flying, so I know i can still improve.
Best part of the day was I landed two random plasmas both netting a kill :twisted and other then one case of quake + Missile + wall didn't have any rage worthy material. Considering I quit due to the rage i kept feeling (and school) I was happy.

I will never keep up with the majority of you, but for the average or "human" pilots as I like to call them I'm hunting for you now.
That and I can clean you all but shoqa on detonator so I have my happy place.

Mr Phlanj
25th December 2009, 11:30 PM
i played again for the first time in ages (so did haydn) and i was rubbish!! had a race with people i didnt know and it went ok, raced with ace3cube for one and lost (he is good isnt he) but i shamed myself against yeldar >< it was a one on one and i thought i would race in quirex because ive been racing as them in pulse but realy i just gave yeldar a chance to get a new world record :D at least before i could just about keep in sight of him but i think it would take some time for me to get back into it.

well this was the only chance ill get to play untill i get a ps3 (and who knows when that will be) but i hope to fly with everyone again soon.

-kieran

DeepMix
26th December 2009, 01:54 AM
to be as good as i was hmmm maybe it takes me a couple of hours or days, it depends which game, if is wipeouthd then maybe a couple of days

LOUDandPROUD
27th December 2009, 10:16 PM
Oh, man...I haven't played in months. I imagine if I started playing daily again, it would still take a couple of weeks to really get back in the groove...at LEAST.

Hello to everyone, by the way! Miss you all! :)

ProblemSolver
27th December 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi L&P, what have you done in the meantime?

LOUDandPROUD
29th December 2009, 12:02 AM
Hey PS! I've been catching up on all the other games that have been sitting on my shelf. Played through Heavenly Sword, Bioshock, Mirror's Edge, GTA IV and Mass Effect...now I'm working my way through Tomd Raider: Underworld. Still have Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Dead Space, Gears of War 2, Saint's Row 2, Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on my shelf that I need to get to, as well! Man, I have a lot of work ahead of me...whew.

Good hearing from you! :)

ProblemSolver
29th December 2009, 01:31 AM
@L&P: Lucky guy! :) Well, I have to play catch-up on catch-up before catching
up on other things. xD I even have to play UC2 ... damn. Anyways, my next
game in line will be FF XIII. After that Heavy Rain, GoW III, and GT5. Something
like that.

On-topic: I haven't played for weeks (six or seven) but I got virtually no issues
to come up speed again. My first run was on Metropia Reverse ZONE. To my
surprise I was only about two zones away from the global record, first run. lol
Got a nice tunnel vision. Sweet. :sonar After that I played a 12 random tourney,
lost only one due to elimination.

Quite interesting, staying away from the game for awhile may even improve
one's racing skills since some fixed trained patterns (steering, visions etc.)
aren't that strong. So you got a chance to readjust things.

Playing WipEout HD Fury again showed me once again what an awesome game
this is!

LOUDandPROUD
29th December 2009, 07:59 PM
Nice! Like you, I'm really looking forward to playing Heavy Rain, GoW III and GT5! Should all be fantastic games!

And I'm not surprised you were able to just jump back into WO after not playing for 6-7 weeks and dominate right off...you are a WO freak! :P

siriusbee
29th December 2009, 08:23 PM
Heavy Rain, really looking forward to that.

@topic: I made a simple graph for people to follow

http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1560&stc=1&d=1262121752

ProblemSolver
4th January 2010, 07:01 AM
Quoting myself;

... On-topic: I haven't played for weeks (six or seven) but I got virtually no
issues to come up speed again. ...

Quite interesting, staying away from the game for awhile may even improve
one's racing skills since some fixed trained patterns (steering, visions etc.)
aren't that strong. So you got a chance to readjust things. ...

Yesterday was my first online sessions since weeks. According to my own advice
I did something new. I did something I wanted do try out for quite some time
now, i.e. using the dpad! Weeks ago I used the dpad for about a few days to
see whether I could beat my stick-records. Not a chance. Not even remotely.
Back then I somehow recognized that one can perform BRs faster and that the
craft can be kept more stable while performing a BR. Anyways, I never really
forced myself to use the dpad until yesterday. I thought; c'mon, lets use the
dpad online and start all over again. I started playing from about 5am (GMT+1)
to 3pm (!) and lost almost all races for about 6h. xD I even got some PMs
from some guys asking me why I didn't hit most of the item pads anymore :rofl:
I also have to say that I've changed my DS3 button assignment as well. About
7h later things got started somehow. I really noticed how good the BRs work
when being performed unter pressure. I was like; shiiit. For example, the
possible BR on the Amphesium Reverse after the first turn down the straight was
most often a pain with the stick. About 8h later I could perform this BR with
about 90% success rate while keeping the craft stable (straight). Likewise
with the BR before the mag strip. And from this point on I started to win
races. I got somehow attached to the dpad. After about 9h of play time
(straight!) some very good players joint the server (like fgdk, themother****er
xD, ...). I was even able to beat them in some weapons off races using the dpad.
(Weapons off? Yes, my hands started to hurt like crazy, I couldn't fire or
absorb any weapons any longer xD; yeah, this was the reason I switched to
weapons off, if anyone was just wondering). However, I reached a limit. Some of
you may know the pain you receive once you're releasing the controller after a
tough race while having played already for too long, right? xD So I stopped
playing after about 10 hours. You have to remember, I haven't played for weeks!
:rofl: Anyways, I wanted to know whether it's worth to use the dpad or not.

Here are some things I've noticed while using the dpad in competitive racing
(compared to the the stick);

performing BRs is a huge advantage
stable / smooth trajectory while performing a BR
overall less steering => higher average speed
better cornering on tight turns
pitching can be performed more accurately due to the
decoupling of the dpad's axis
steering inputs can be performed much quicker, physically

Despite I can be quite fast with the stick, I now think that I can go even
faster with the dpad, in general. The biggest drawback of the stick, for me,
is the BR thing. BRs work like a charm with the dpad.

That the dpad works quite well is also a result of the fixed (low) velocity
when compared to ZONE. However, the 'digital' behavior of the dpad becomes a
disadvantage on very high speeds, since one cannot steer and control the craft
fast enough with a (mostly) digital input device. But this isn't to say that
you may not be able to run 160 zones on Syncopia using the dpad. It's just very
unlikely. Mathematically, controlling a craft in a digital fashion would yield
the optimal solution to an associated so-called control problem. This is against
common beliefs and was found out by 'mathematics' back in the 1920 -- at the
time where some mathematicians started to build functions space and relations
to relate those spaces against each other to gain solutions to very difficult
problems. Just in case you are interested; the mathematical topic that covers
these kind of things is called functional analysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_analysis) -- a wonderful branch of
mathematics.
Back on topic. Did you know that the US Space Shuttle is entirely controlled
in a digital on/off fashion in space? That is to say; the valves are either
open at full thrust or closed. Or have you ever been wondering about why a
rabbit runs away in a zick-zack fashion while being hunted? It all comes down
to optimal control. But we humans are simply not fast enough to perform such
things, such that we can control it while performing it -- the action. Btw;
just in case you wanna escape the police, do it in a zick-zack fashion! Yeah
that's the best why to get away from someone who is right after you. Just ask
the rabbit! Funny as it is, this techniques was already used in World War II.
The superiority oft the German submarine, their maneuvering skills, are in part
due to these insights. Most of the mathematical basis for functional analysis
was founded in Europe, esp. in Germany where David Hilbert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hilbert) formulated the
theory of the very important Hilbert spaces. Here is a quote from Wikipedia;

"... David Hilbert (January 23, 1862 – February 14, 1943) was a German
mathematician, recognized as one of the most influential and universal
mathematicians of the 19th and early 20th centuries. He discovered and
developed a broad range of fundamental ideas in many areas, including
invariant theory and the axiomatization of geometry. He also formulated the
theory of Hilbert spaces,[1] one of the foundations of functional analysis. ..."

I wanna add that there were so many other great mathematicians (I can name
most of them) from France, England, Poland, Russia, and Hungary -- just to
name those few countries who played a big role in the foundation of functional
analysis and still do!

Back to earth....
Am I going to play with the dpad from now on? Yes! I think I need to play for
about one or two months at a 'daily' basis to max out the dpad. But
unfortunately this is not going to happen since I haven't that much time to
play the game for the next few months. But I hope someone may find this
information here quite interesting and may as such get something out of it.
For the time being I'm going to play just once in a while to chill to some
fine music in ZONE mode. :sonar

Edit: Do not misunderstand the phrase; "The superiority of the German
submarine, ...". It should be read as a pure technical thing.

leungbok
4th January 2010, 07:27 AM
unfortunately this is not going to happen since I haven't that much time to
play the game for the next few months

:eek You already were used to the d-pad if you had played instead of typing that huge post :g
:P

ProblemSolver
4th January 2010, 08:41 AM
Tru dat is. :nod

kanar
4th January 2010, 10:53 AM
eh eh guys, that's game is a b***h anyway. And if it's a real challenge to get back to good form after an absence (even a short one), the worst thing to my mind is the feeling to not being able to improve my times anymore. I've never really stopped playing hd since its release, but it's like I've reached my physical limits in the speed lap competition. Seems like the woman who used to tell me "new lap record" broke up with me ages ago lol. About what you said PS, I believe there's no better settings compared to another (d-pad or stick, R1/L1 or R2/L2), I'm saying that cos' I know what are the settings of a lot of aces now, & they're playing all differently. BUT, I do believe too pitch control affected to motion control can help you to execute the hardest moves on the tracks (eg. boost+br in the worst parts). Although I never could make that step myself (still with d-pad only, r1/l1). Anyway, I really feel this game as the hardest I've ever played... Probably the reason why I'm sticking with it.

leungbok
4th January 2010, 11:17 AM
the worst thing to my mind is the feeling to not being able to improve his times anymore. I've never really stopped playing hd since its release, but it's like I've reached my physical limits in the speed lap competition. Seems like the woman who used to tell me "new lap record" broke up with me ages ago lol

Try old tracks that you haven't raced since ages, then, sometimes you may be surprised :)

shapealot
4th January 2010, 11:28 AM
well said leungbok. theres loads of old times ive beaten recently, ive been avoiding them because i think im no good at the track or the lines are complicated but im surprising myself. these tracks end being the ones with my best times, pre-fury i didnt even use side shift so a lot of old times were beaten easily.

kanar
4th January 2010, 11:33 AM
:paperbag well it's worse than that mate, feels like I'm stuck on every tracks, and I'm doing awful mistakes as if I just bought the game yesterday lol. You're right though, sometimes there's a rainbow, finally reached a sub 18" on vin K Reverse recently, but OMG that was truly epic... I've always knew I had to work more than the others to improve myself, I'm really not as talented as some people -like you or PS- here. I've always been a "follower", never found any tricks by myself. BUT, eh eh, I won't give up the fight lol, I've 47 days to improve myself before flying high :rock-and having vertigo-

Lance
4th January 2010, 02:38 PM
Quoting myself; ~snip~

Back on topic. Did you know that the US Space Shuttle is entirely controlled
in a digital on/off fashion in space? That is to say; the valves are either
open at full thrust or closed. ls, are in part
due to these insights. Most o~snip~

Here is a quote from Wikipedia;

"... David Hilbert (January 23, 1862 – February 14, 1943) was a German
mathematician, recognized as one of the most influential and universal
mathematicians of the 19th and early 20th centuries. He discovered and
developed a broad range of fundamental ideas in many areas, including
invariant theory and the axiomatization of geometry. functional
analysis and still do!

Back to earth....
unfortunately this is not going to happen since I haven't that much ti~snip~

Edit: Do not misunderstand the phrase; [I]"The superiority of the German
submarine, ...". It should be read as a pure technical thing.

"Back on topic"?
Apart from the quote of your earlier post that began this new post, and just conceivably this brief remark: "Am I going to play with the dpad from now on? Yes! I think I need to play for about one or two months at a 'daily' basis to max out the dpad", there seemed to me nothing whatever on topic in this entire extraordinarily lengthy message. If you wish to share digital and analog control theory with us, I suggest starting a separate topic for it. I have a great enthusiasm for technical knowledge, but somehow this post failed to answer or to connect to the question, "How long does it take you to get back to good form after an absence?" I do applaud your intellectual curiosity, but this data belongs more likely to either the offtopic section or possibly the Pilot's Lounge for it's discussion of piloting techniques and technology.

SaturnReturn
4th January 2010, 06:38 PM
Damn! Lance got here first.

I was going to suggest you use one of the other control methodology/setup threads PS. Such as this one (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5150&highlight=control+method), or this one (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5535&highlight=control+method), or this one (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=control+method), or this (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6504&highlight=control+method)...nah, maybe not that one. :P

You could inject some originality into one of those old, much repeated, but rarely interesting questions.;)

ProblemSolver
7th January 2010, 02:54 PM
kanar, you sound a bit 'disappointed' somehow 'cause you can't improve that much
anymore. For sure, we all have our limits but why not try out something new?
Speaking for myself, you wouldn't believe how many times I've changes things to
find out what suits me best in ZONE. It's cool to always try something new.

@Lance: I even had to laugh at myself reading "... Back on topic. Did you know
that the US Space Shuttle is ..." ROFL Sometimes I'm way beyond myself trying
to visit every corner. Next time I will read the thread's title again before
hitting submit and change the post accordingly. xD

@Sat: Thx for pointing these out. I've been reading though them all again.

TheFrostE
7th January 2010, 04:09 PM
im sure i would suck if i started playing again but im confident within a weeks time i would be fine again. since ive been playing the series for so long now. . theres a lot of other games out that have caught my interest and wipeout became stresssful competing all the time.

i think if someone begins to think they are obligated to play WOHD a certain amount of time a day or week or have to schedule their days around the game, they need to take a break, theres a real world out there too off the computerized race track.

kanar
7th January 2010, 06:32 PM
kanar, you sound a bit 'disappointed' somehow 'cause you can't improve that much
anymore. For sure, we all have our limits but why not try out something new?
Thanks, but I'm not disappointed anymore, I've already improved 3 SL personnal best between my post and today. I lacked of motivation, so I went to the arena & I spoke to guys like Leungbok, Pirahpac, Yeldar, Wotan, Kaori, Ace3cube, Tug_14... guys who are still motivated to push a little further the limits. Guys who are still interested in playing hd in fact.

i think if someone begins to think they are obligated to play WOHD a certain amount of time a day or week or have to schedule their days around the game, they need to take a break, theres a real world out there too off the computerized race track. Gah I hope that wasn't directed at me. Just in case, & to clarify, I LOVE playing this game, not interested in PS2 shmups, or Zelda, or other stuffs. Tbh, I've bought any AAA games on the ps3, & only mw2 or nba 2k10 attracted -a little- my attention. I'm not stressed by the competition. Oh by the way, this is a wipeout dedicated website, right?

I'm just enjoying to play this game, as a lot of people are still playing counter strike or world of warcraft.

I'm really fine with the world out there too, I've a wife, a job, I'll probably have children one day. I'm just spending my tiny gaming time in hd, when you're probably spending more time than me in multiple games (with success, if I remember well, you're holding a lot of world records in a lot of games uh?).

kaori
7th January 2010, 06:47 PM
Really you want to have children ?
I'm sure you have already scheduled their WipEout training :rock

Be careful wipers, "kaneton" & "kanar jr" will reach the top :mr-t
(http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=170&u=12067068)

leungbok
7th January 2010, 06:48 PM
Oh :eek i thought it was riri, fifi & loulou !
:lol

kaori
7th January 2010, 06:50 PM
No but kanar would be their unknow father. http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/images/avatar/WWS_E/E0027.png

Look that, incredible : http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/12/06/70/68/th/arbre-10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=170&u=12067068)
kanar, you have already children !

TheFrostE
8th January 2010, 03:00 PM
no no no Kanar , that was DEFINETLY not pointed towards you. as a matter of fact it was more pointed towards myself TBH . the whole tournaments thing and practicing stuff and trying to keep up was starting to get to me and i felt like wipeout HD (not the old ones) was becoming a task and/or job to play, ask AG-wolf how dedicated i was to that stuff :p. So i decided to take a nice break and go back to games that i had bought and not gotten my moneys worth on them since they were neglected due to HD. In doing this i have realized that i have just as much and sometimes even much more fun playing those other games than i do with wipeout HD so it was for the best .

BUT NEWS FLASH...MY OLDER BROTHER JUST GOT A PS3 FOR FREE YESTERDAY AND GOT WIPEOUT BUNDLE...SO I WILL BE ONLINE NOW PLAYING WITH HIM BATTLING ACROSS THE HALLWAY IN HIS ROOM HAHA!!

so no kanar nothing was directed towards you at all there, i have nothing but love for the WZ community. RACE ON!

kanar
8th January 2010, 05:19 PM
GAH. So I'm really sorry for my previous rant. Seems like I'm kinda stressed these past few days, already misunderstood Lance in another thread, was wrong too in a pulse thread, & now with you here, so once again, my bad. Please accept my apologies TheFrostE. OMG need to chill out lol.

Lance
8th January 2010, 06:19 PM
I suspect from whence the stress cometh; good luck to you in balancing time demands, Olivier.

Vartazian
8th January 2010, 07:57 PM
One of the Few Reasons I came abck was Cyxel got a PS3 for Christmas. Might as well smack her around a b it and see some of my friends.

I suck now though.

shapealot
29th January 2010, 02:24 PM
well it looks like im gona find out what its like to take a break for while. i dislocated my right foot pretty bad in gymnastics last night, it sounds daft but i play with my legs crossed on my bed (the sweet spot) which i cant do right now so im gona be out of action for a while. ill try an post a pic later of my gigantic right leg, its impressive lol

put a few pics up in the pics thread, dont know how to make a link so just go there an take a look. the bruising hasnt set in yet so ill post more at a latter date. sorry about the quality they were taken on the PSeye

afatsuoM
4th February 2010, 01:37 PM
Well, finally got myself a place of my own to live (in stead of @ parents place) a few months ago. So I haven't been able to play for a few months. Let's just say it needed some work. :(

Started up WipEout HD again about a week ago and at first it felt really weird. The "automatism" was gone a bit, so my ship was all over the place. After a few laps though, it was much better, but still not at the level before the pause.

Now a week later, my Zone skills on AP fwd are completely back (even broke my record (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166063)). But online, I still get pounded. I think another week or so should get me back to my previous level.

Z°ⁿε
5th February 2010, 03:38 AM
It takes me about 2 days..
first day is for failure, and second is to realize my failure.

YouAreFubar
8th February 2010, 04:56 PM
Ive started playing it again after leaving it for more than a few months, since my last ps3 died I needed to redo the Fury campaign again. I did that relatively easily on expert difficulty so I know im not that bad, but im still making plenty of mistakes (well, more than I used too) including airbraking too hard, turning too early and so on. And Phantom has gone back to feeling like its a little too fast rather than just right. Its going to take a little time to get my head round that I think.

Rubix42
12th February 2010, 05:39 PM
I played some online last night for the first time in a while. ProblemSolver and a few others wiped the floor with me on every track except Anulpha. I was off my best times by 10 seconds or more every race. Looks like I need more than a few laps to put it back together.

Aeroracer
13th February 2010, 01:48 PM
about one week at one hour a day from my experience.
but it really depends on...

length of absence
level of skill you had to start with
and most importantly
ethusiasm...:hyper

MiguelX69
14th March 2010, 11:38 AM
So... erm... I got the game in october, then in november I got the platinum and never played it again. Now in february I started playing it on my new account, and yesterday I've platinum'ed it again. So... even after some months, I didn't lost the toutch.

Cyberio
23rd March 2010, 05:27 PM
about one week at one hour a day from my experience.
but it really depends on...

length of absence
level of skill you had to start with
and most importantly
ethusiasm...:hyper

Yes, in my case too. It depends in how many time.

For now, if it only a week, just two online races. If it's more, then a few days to get the good form.

yeldar2097
9th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Took about 75mins to get back up to speed and beat a PB.

Call it 2hrs to allow for consistency.

Only 12 weeks though which isn't that long really.

AppleJack
10th June 2010, 06:19 AM
yea, just started playing HD again after some time away (forgot what a sweet game HD really is). I've only went online a few times ever, and wasn't that good to begin with, mostly play Speed Lap and Zone (still chasing after Zone Zeus, closest I was able to get was Zone 70), and now I'm so rusty I can't even make it to Zone 60 on Anulpha. Guess I just need to get back to practicing more :)

ProblemSolver
10th June 2010, 07:17 AM
Took about 75mins to get back up to speed and beat a PB. ...
75mins? Man, you're getting old. ;)

Connavar
10th June 2010, 11:34 AM
Finally found the formula!
The number of minutes M necessary to get back to a good condition after an absence of
D days, is simply: M=17*ln(D)*X
(usually X is 1, but it depends on your age)

So, if you're away for:
2 days => 12 minutes!
15 days => 46 minutes!
6 months => 89 minutes!
1 year => 100 minutes!
10 years => 139 minutes!

All those number, assuming you've mastered Wipeout HD in the past, otherwise the curve
is drastically different!

yeldar2097
10th June 2010, 11:47 AM
How on earth? :P

10 Years lol.

@PS: Yeah I know, my fingers aren't what they used to me. Also my DS3 is SO STIFF...and dusty. Zone mode has suffered more though. Only just able to get to 100 on Syncopia atm. Argh I here I was hoping that for some unknown reason I'd be able to hit 160 before you :P

Dark_Phantom_89
10th June 2010, 06:18 PM
I'd say that it doesn't take you any time at all to get back on form yeldar ;)

someguy789
10th June 2010, 06:59 PM
I can normally win the average online race after about an hour but to be back at my best I normally need about a week of playing

Mr Phlanj
10th June 2010, 07:07 PM
I just hope people are still playing by the time i get a ps3 :P It's been about 3 months since i last played with other people so it will take me some time to get back on form, but i always feel like a winner because a loss will never get to me :D

AG-wolf
16th June 2010, 11:17 AM
Not quite sure but it's definitely a noticeable length of time I imagine... I haven't been playing ever since the 3.20 system update since I haven't been able to play online, so on the rare occasion that I get online at my friend's house, I always get my sh*t tossed. It's really frustrating, too, because I know I'm better than what my times suggest when I'm racing against decent pilots :P I ragequit, and then I'm reduced to sending them a message with an explanation lol

Aeroracer
17th June 2010, 12:00 AM
ive not been playing wipeout for 3 months now but i gonna start up again now i got my ps3 back online so i will time it to see how long it takes me to get good again..:)