PDA

View Full Version : WipEout pilot tantrums

Aeroracer
19th November 2009, 03:25 PM
Be honest and tell in intimate detail about any tantrums you have had whilst playing online races...

such as

how many gamepads you broke
how hard did the ps3 get kicked
who got shouted at etc

i start..

i havnt really had to many tantrums online with wipeout..ive improving i guess
but here one of the tantrums i have had during online races....:dizzy

i was playing in a race and my dog was grizzling for her ball..anyway i lost the race cos i crashed right near the end so i shouted at the dog and blamed her (it was obvious to me at the time it had to be her fault:p) , she started to cry and walked off with tail between legs and i felt really bad but i took her for long walk later and cooked her a chicken for dinner.:)

O_BR
19th November 2009, 03:44 PM
My frustration manifests in yelling at the game and does not go beyond that. So no, I haven't broken any gaming equipment during tantrums. :D

JFthebestJan
19th November 2009, 03:49 PM
guilty. i smashed 2 pads, i idiot! ;)

Aeroracer
19th November 2009, 03:56 PM
well thats just demonstrates your passion for perfection..:)

ACE-FLO
19th November 2009, 04:11 PM
at my most mad/frustrated, during online races, all i can manage is a furrowed brow and a 'meh' - and that usually, because of a DC (Pulse) or PS3 online MP freezes lol... it's hard to get mad if you're stoned though, so that's probably why...

i did once eat half a scotch bonnet pepper, to distract myself from the 'WeBuyAnyCar.com' advert on British television, it worked, but i'll never do that again!!!

JJPAP
19th November 2009, 04:21 PM
Only a single Dualshock controller :rock
And it actually turned out to be a very positive destruction of equipment: It feels much better wiping w/o the rumble (I found out) :nod

IH8YOU
19th November 2009, 04:22 PM
I rage quit the other day after mini-freezing every 10 seconds and the screen blacked out during the freezes. After having several people ( regulars ) tease me for not winning any races, i couldnt take it. I apologized for it afterwards, but still it sucked. Im running 720p again, and its a lot smoother now.

abukii
19th November 2009, 07:04 PM
The extent of my tantrums are just tossing (gently) the ps3 controller in disgust. I usually stop playing at that point because any game that is able to make me mad just gets turned off for a little while:)

Vartazian
19th November 2009, 07:05 PM
I Yell at my screen or go "AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGH!!!!" But usually I dont do anything and just race harder the next round.

Hellfire_WZ
19th November 2009, 08:20 PM
Just watch my videos, I think the words "f*cking joke" have become synonymous with me ;)

Aeroracer
19th November 2009, 08:25 PM
wow some lame tantrums here..only jfthemanjan has had a decent tantrum...

there must be someone here who has had a proper tantrum.:hyper

ive had some good pathetic tantrums myself like kicking the televison off the table onto the floor and making loads of noise and many other disgraceful examples but these were nothing to do with wipeout so they dont count.plus im to embarrased to mention.

crawdad62
20th November 2009, 04:45 AM
It's a freaking game. I'm not going to kick in a $2K television. I have been know to throw out the occasional F-bomb though:redface:

Dark_Phantom_89
20th November 2009, 05:36 AM
I've shouted before and just said things like "what a joke," amongst other, more expletive things ;)

blackwiggle
20th November 2009, 05:54 AM
I've throw a wobbly,emulating Ben Kinglsey in Sexy Beat as Don Logan when somebody has walked in front of the projector so I couldn't see where I was heading,same goes if somebody nudged my elbow while trying to get on the overpass on Anulph Pass.
Not one of my better moments.

I surround myself with big cushions,so any frustration with controller in hand does minimal damage,by the same token,thrash a cushion with a controller enough times,both the cushion & the controller will give out.

I can attest to that being a fact.:paperbag

mizunoori
20th November 2009, 08:59 AM
Every person that gets near me during a Wipeout session gets a "gentle" "Go away!" from me.

But in return, someone gets angry and used the doorbell an entire race, I think it was on Anulpha Pass. I have a real nasty Doorbell :lol

Handmadelion
20th November 2009, 11:24 AM
Oh lawdy lemme see...

I was getting used to my GOT 45 on, quite possibly the most brutal online weapons race Vineta K Forward, I have ever played. Anyway, quake after quake after missile after bomb after mine after missile after quake, the lot of us fought to stay in the race. I forget who else was there, but a few WOZers were, and doing phenomenal in staying with the tops. The host I didn't know, I hadn't seen him online before, but then again I was playing during hours I didn't usually.

You ever been in that situation where you're doing the better racing, but the others are doing the better fighting? Well that was how it looked (blame can also be pointed at unwise spending of ship energy for BRs, esp in a GOT 45). Launching into first on 4/5 lap, I got nuked and rage quit. And received a message there shortly after from wormwoodMoridin but I'll keep that for myself. It was nothing bad I promise. But my response was "yea hadn't been a good night for races."

But probably my saddest moment was when my beloved dualshock right trigger started sticking. I'm back on the sixaxis now! :rolleyes:

AG-wolf
20th November 2009, 12:57 PM
http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6055

blackwiggle
20th November 2009, 03:51 PM
Quite an appropriate description.

"behemoth"

I think we have all suffered,[but not always taken] the sane event with the dignity you managed to muster during that particular gaming event.

Big UP's

JaLK
20th November 2009, 04:36 PM
I usually curse a lot when I get mad at Wipeout. Or I throw my controller at my bed which is full and pillows and covers. But one time I got mad and threw my controller, missed the bed completely and ended up hitting my laundry basket(which is made of hard plastic). My sixaxis exploded into pieces.

Had to play my old DS2 with a USB/PS2 converter for 5 months before getting a new one. Least now I have spare parts in case my new one breaks.

SaturnReturn
20th November 2009, 05:28 PM
I fixed the spelling in the title. I thought that anyone coming here hoping to eliminate 'tantums' (perhaps on the basis that they only cause confusion in any language :?:) would be extremely disappointed.

Let's try and at least avoid the typos in our message titles shall we?;)

Aeroracer
20th November 2009, 06:47 PM
it was supposed to be about tantums....i wanted to know if other players had tanned tummys...but people got the wrong end of the stick and thought i meant tantrums...:p

sorry saturn im from essex.dumb country folk out here you know..:p

Golgofier
21st November 2009, 03:41 PM
My rage manifestations are usually limited to verbal abuse.
I have, however, thrown a DS3 really hard into a plaster wall, successfully lodging the controller about 1/3 into it... I've put a poster over the hole :P
Amazingly the DS3 survived (that time) without any permanent damage. I have, however, since then broken of the left analog stick of said controller in another rage fit. Serves it right - stupid DS3! :lol

yeldar2097
21st November 2009, 05:00 PM
3 broken DS3's although I managed to partially fix 2 of them.
All breakages were semi-accidental: when I get v angry I tend to fling my DS3 at a nearby sofa, sometimes I miss and hit the floor/wall.

Lots of swearing and hurling abuse at people but that's normal :lol

Sad but true... :g

Kyonshi
21st November 2009, 06:04 PM
All i can say is that my IKEA coffee table is the most sturdiest, toughest piece of furniture i've even build. I wonder if God Himself would be able to smash it up :eek

I also swear a lot, i threw 2 dualshocks, one broke off and the other one only had R2 popped out, i've been able to fix it. :lol

DrMannevond
21st November 2009, 06:32 PM
The most I do is mumble something unpleasant, with the occasional loud F-word when I get pushed off the track for the nth time.
Slightly off topic : For those who throw serious tantrums around here - you must never, EVER, play 'Black & White'!! I've been a gamer for over 20 years now, and it's the only game that has ever made me completely lose it, and I mean 'lose it' as in scaring the crap out of my mates.:)

Medusa
21st November 2009, 11:36 PM
Heh, I'm glad we don't all play in a common room some of you sound kinda dangerous...

I use WipEout as a way to take out my stresses, so when I feel myself getting to the breaking point, I usually just stop playing. Because then it's adding to the stress in my life which I really do not need at ALL! AARGH! I'm stressed just typing that!!!

(But I don't have a tanned tum either. Not enough sunny months here when it's warm enough to go bare mid-riff.)

siriusbee
21st November 2009, 11:45 PM
At what frequency does this phenomena occur? And are we supposed to watch or avert our gazes?

Koleax
22nd November 2009, 04:04 AM
I don't think I throw tantrums, because I expect in advance to be shocked and angry eventually while playing Wipeout. I look forward to it. :twisted

emwu23
22nd November 2009, 02:18 PM
3 broken DS3's although I managed to partially fix 2 of them.
All breakages were semi-accidental: when I get v angry I tend to fling my DS3 at a nearby sofa, sometimes I miss and hit the floor/wall.

Lots of swearing and hurling abuse at people but that's normal :lol

Sad but true... :g

Hehe mine DS3 has unworking L2 and also right stick is out of order becouse of similar "issues" like Yours.

Lance
22nd November 2009, 02:45 PM
It is so good to see people who are passionate about the excellence of their performance. :)

edit: BTW, that was not sarcasm; I meant what I said.

il_mago_di_Doz
23rd November 2009, 12:04 AM
I don't think I throw tantrums, because I expect in advance to be shocked and angry eventually while playing Wipeout. I look forward to it. :twisted
Same here :lol

Btw I broke the left airbreak on vineta! :dizzy

EDIT:
they could sell WOHD Fury with a bonus DS3, just in case..... :lol:lol:lol

siriusbee
23rd November 2009, 09:47 PM
One of the times, I committed suicide. No -- actually committed suicide. One of the pilots kept giving me bombs, so I strapped one to my chest and waited till his next pass.

What is unique about the situation is that when it became time to detonate, I let go of my controller and walked to the window in my apt, and just jumped out.

This is why I am writing to you from a very special hospital, because one of my limbs is broken, and I'm not sure which one.

ACE-FLO
23rd November 2009, 10:54 PM
siriusbee, you made me laugh with your story ... rock on! :rock

il_mago_di_Doz
23rd November 2009, 11:33 PM
One of the times, I committed suicide. No -- actually committed suicide. One of the pilots kept giving me bombs, so I strapped one to my chest and waited till his next pass.

What is unique about the situation is that when it became time to detonate, I let go of my controller and walked to the window in my apt, and just jumped out.

This is why I am writing to you from a very special hospital, because one of my limbs is broken, and I'm not sure which one.

This is soooo funny!!! :lol:lol:lol

ACE-FLO
1st December 2009, 03:49 PM
I didn't think Zoners would quit my races after being hit by a few weps. It's only one pilot, and I'm not gonna name them (they know who they are ;) ) but it's happened on a few separate occasions now. ANNOYING!!! dammit!

I won't quit, no matter how far behind I am, how batterred my ship is, how out of my depth I am ... I'll finish the race! That's good Zoner practice, Yeah I just thought all Zoners had that courtesy... meh

I raced a supremely talented pilot last night, Kaleidoscope47 (is he a Zoner?) We raced for a couple hours and he won everytime. Was nice when he messaged me to say 'thanks' for racing... What a nice guy :)

Aeroracer
1st December 2009, 10:39 PM
your like me ace..when i race i race myself..i dont care where i come in the race provided i played my best..:hyper:nod:hyper

but tbo honest you find after a long while playing this game you may get occassions where the game will irritate you.

i had a short stint where i did get frustrated..i would race perfectly and still lose to another player by a large margin and think something like cheating may have took place.but in hindsight their are just players who put in so much practice and effort their skills cannot be matched..after remembering that fact i didnt feel frustrated anymore.

i dont really believe in natrual talent with a game like this.it just takes a bit of passion..open your ears and learn from the elites and many hours of practice and dedication.

ACE-FLO
2nd December 2009, 01:22 AM
oh, i'm not frustrated at that, i'm boggled that i'm a noob still, and i'm getting quitted on. I've put in similiar dedication to pulse, HD-Fury is a different animal, true, and I don't think i'll ever rank amongst the big names, but I do wanna see how fast I can go. See, for me, the buzz lies in going as fast as I possibly can, and getting kicks out of nailing parts of the track at full speed, leading to an even better buzz at hearing 'PERFECT LAP' :)

yeah, that always makes me smile.... but when those PL times get faster and faster, well... that for me is wipEout, finding a new possibility for the next real kick!

crawdad62
2nd December 2009, 01:40 AM
when i race i race myself..i dont care where i come in the race provided i played my best..

That's the way I look at it. I'd like to win every race but I don't. Honestly I'd have probably moved on if I did win every race.

I find it amazing that one night I can't lose. The next I get my a.. handed to me. Keeps me coming back though.

ACE-FLO
2nd December 2009, 01:53 AM
the challenge never stops with wipEout, it's always there... against yourself or others, it's a thrill a nano-second experience. :)

Aeroracer
2nd December 2009, 10:28 PM
@crawdad62

thats so true about winning..i play a room and win 10 games on the go i am not happy and get bored and just say to myself these games do not count i must be playing new beginners.

real wins that give the buzz are players who you have to fight hard to win and you lose just as many as you win..

so as i already said race your self attitude..if you play good an still get beaten dont be upset but learn..
as long as you can beat your own best times periodically you are a real winner imo.:nod

ACE-FLO
3rd December 2009, 01:07 AM
i've had some awesome races today, truly spectacular! Jasmin, I never worry about losing, but yeah - damn straight I wanna win, and if I do, then all I get is self gratification... but i'm easily pleased.

Takes a lot to wind me up though, seriously, i'm so chilled - when i sit in my garden to schmoke, birds flock to me... some even sit on my shoulders and do lil poos :D and i don't even care... bliss :lol

OBH
4th December 2009, 11:10 PM
Im a chilled bloke but i really dont like losing :)

Ive had a winge on the ps3 chat before, someone would probably say its been a tantrum at times, if im honest :beer

IDReaper
5th December 2009, 01:56 AM
Well I don't lose so I don't have anything to be angry about...

lol joking:P

I really don't throw tantrums due to Wipeout. At my level of consistency I'd call my shots at winning 50/50 or below most of the time and I'm okay with that. I guess the worst I've done is grow larger crazy eyes:eek like so, but with a little more red around the cheeks.

NX-01
8th December 2009, 04:45 PM
Last night some %$@# blok was hosting a rapier race and keep running the Moa Therma track at least ten times. The race was full and this %$^@ blok always finished last. I PM him to please mix it up a bit & then he just delayed the very next race about three times and here we go again "Moa Therma" right then and there my mission was to blast him all four laps. :twisted I could have quit, but I knew I was next host and was just trying to wait him out. He final left after twelve times around sigh:rolleyes: Moa Therma. Then he PM me back with letters "f u" nice. :clap I wish there was an option to remove a host with a vote from the field for @#$% bloks like him. Sorry about the long rant. :redface:

crawdad62
8th December 2009, 04:48 PM
Man that is a rant. You should've just started your own room. I'm not one for racing the same track over and over but if I don't like it I'll look for another one or make my own.

NX-01
8th December 2009, 04:56 PM
Man that is a rant. You should've just started your own room.

You are right on both points. I just figure he would just change tracks/quit after race four. :paperbag

MrSmadSmartAlex
8th December 2009, 05:00 PM
...I do wanna see how fast I can go. See, for me, the buzz lies in going as fast as I possibly can, and getting kicks out of nailing parts of the track at full speed, leading to an even better buzz at hearing 'PERFECT LAP' :)

yeah, that always makes me smile.... but when those PL times get faster and faster, well... that for me is wipEout, finding a new possibility for the next real kick!

Spot on - that's what it's all about for me too. Don't get me wrong, competing with others is great too, but there's nothing like beating a personal best.:D
I definitely get more angry trying to beat my own TTs than I do getting smashed about by weapons and glitches online. Limited to shouting "What the ****?!?!" or a creative swear-combo, once in a while. Haven't smashed a controller since I was a kid.:lol

ACE-FLO
8th December 2009, 06:48 PM
Limited to shouting "What the ****?!?!" or a creative swear-combo, once in a while.

And I bet that's true for many people here too, so ehm, spot on there too :g

I had a cool session with some more Zoners again, last night. Bloody heck, got rolled like a chapati, and soaked in herb soup, made for a soup'erb experience, I must say :D Thanks to Kgb1971, and his rockets, I had a panic attack :D and IdReaper too, damn you guys are fast!!!

KGB
8th December 2009, 06:50 PM
Rockets, me? :g

ACE-FLO
8th December 2009, 06:58 PM
Think I'd forget the man who gave me a panic attack? ;) remember the break I told you about through PSN? well that was me, having some, er, herbs to get me back to normality again :D I came back later and got skooled by IdReaper for a few... nice!

I'm glad I can say that my transition to WipEout HD Fury hasn't been a let down. I'm still excited to play it, and the online races are always intense - there is a lot of talent on the servers, for me to race with.

Sad to hear that a few pilots have left the scene due to the frustrations with game mechanics, I really do hope that it is just a case of COD MWII and new releases for xmas which have taken their fancy, temporarily... I'm sure they'll be back though, I mean, who can resist WipEout for too long? :D right?

KGB
8th December 2009, 07:34 PM
I think you're a bit like me ACE, you would rather just get online than all this messing about with SL and TT and learn the tracks on multiplayer, which is very hard to do from experience. I think you should take part in the TT and SL challenges but you probably just want to play other people which I can totally understand.

About people not playing anymore. As soon as one player stops another starts and there are always good pilots springing up. When Wellington and Wotan stopped playing as much, Yeldar and TCK came along and I'm sure it will happen again.

yeldar2097
8th December 2009, 09:23 PM
I was always there, I was just biding my time :nod

...ok maybe not :lol

Messing about with SL and TT?!?! It's not messing about, it's fun...ish...kinda...not really... :P
You can compete with people in TT/SL, it just means you won't end up hating them in secret (like I do with 99% of people I play with online) ;)
shhh - it's a secret!

il_mago_di_Doz
9th December 2009, 11:04 PM
Yeldar, I started playing SL/TT just a few months ago and I hate you sooo much in secret! :P

Btw I forgive you becouse thanks to your videos on youtube I'm improving a lot! Keep it going, you're a TT genius: I love to see you, Pirhapac, AkFurtif, Elois and many others challenging on TT :twisted

leungbok
10th December 2009, 07:09 AM
I love to see ... AkFurtif, Elois ... challenging on TT

I'd love to see them too ! ;) (videos)

il_mago_di_Doz
10th December 2009, 08:47 AM
Hei Leungbok, cheers for the times you achieved yesterday on Sol2 rev! You rock! :rock

NightArh
10th December 2009, 09:34 AM
My main victims were keyboards. I can be irritated sometimes and during my study in the university I broke about 7-8 keyboards throwing them in the wall. But now I am more stable :twisted and play wipeout enough quiet. Just a lot of russian swearing thats all

And I become nervous when I am 1st to be honest :(

ACE-FLO
10th December 2009, 10:08 AM
My main victims were keyboards.
:eek

I can be irritated sometimes and during my study in the university I broke about 7-8 keyboards throwing them in the wall.
Yeah, it helps! :?

But now I am more stable :twisted and play wipeout enough quiet. Just a lot of russian swearing thats all

Ah, is it more satisfying to swear in Russian? I find it better when I mix languages, and swear :g

Kgb1971 - Online, skool of hard knocks, :rock on buddy!

shapealot
10th December 2009, 07:34 PM
ive never smashed a controller because i learned my lesson after head butting a friends gameboy, he wasnt that impressed lol

warhawk813
13th December 2009, 07:29 AM
I was in tournament mode in Phantom class with AI difficulty on elite when i hit my very first 1st place streak. Things were looking up for me cuz I've been trying on and off for the past week before with no luck. After the 6th race, i accidently pushed "return to main menu" instead of "next race." I started yelling at the tv and said "F*** THIS GAME! AAARRRGGGGHHHH!" I didn't play for a week! I returned to playing, apologizing to my precious Wipeout HD for being so mean... We made up!

yeldar2097
13th December 2009, 11:18 AM
Oh my god I remember doing the EXACT same thing back when I was trying to get elite campaign legend, didn't play for 2 months :P

Actually it was joining this forum that brought me back :g

Good times :)

leungbok
13th December 2009, 02:43 PM
Hei Leungbok, cheers for the times you achieved yesterday on Sol2 rev! You rock! :rock
Thanks mate, but i can't fight against the br freaks like Xbarnsternx and Shapealot it seems ! :lol Grrr, how dare they uses Brs i can't perform (i don't understand anything on that double br at the end, lol) !! ;)

XBARNSTERX
13th December 2009, 04:28 PM
Its easy enough mate. Earlier i done it on a venom speed lap 27.75 :P

leungbok
13th December 2009, 06:28 PM
In fact i succeeded once on flash speed ;), but it seems impossible on phantom :(
Nice lap btw ! :)

XBARNSTERX
13th December 2009, 07:15 PM
Yes mate i don't think it can be done on phantom. I even tried by missing the pad, but couldn't manage it :(
On rapier its easier IMO. If you stay to the right for the first and then go to the left of the track. The second BR is really easy :)

shapealot
13th December 2009, 10:33 PM
& leungbok lol they dont call me sir shapealot the thrower of shapes for nothin :P