PDA

View Full Version : advanced techniques / curious things - wipEout HD

JFthebestJan
9th November 2009, 12:26 AM
did not find an existing thread about this, so i make 1.

feel free to add something others around the WHD-universe might not know.

i begin with ÜBERMALL/techniques:
there's something special about this track.
it's possible to shoot a missisle backwards @ the split (both directions). u have to shoot @ the middle of the split to get it done. the 1 behind u might not know that this is possible, and will be shocked (maybe destroyed with a direct hit).

also ÜBERMALL/curious/split-section/both directions:
the autopilot is able to perfom a BR @ the split, but i really don't know how to force the autopilot to do it. it happened twice to me (1x/direction). if it's done correct, the autopilot will take the split section with super speed (way faster then any human!).

CHENGOU-P>>/techniques:
after the circle-turn u fly through a small tunnel. if u have rockets and the 1 ahead of u is too far to reach, u can aiming slightly to the right and shoot in the direction of the "robot-factory" building. with little luck... :D

eLhabib
9th November 2009, 07:15 AM
AFAIK, you can do BRs in autopilot simply by doing the input, on any track (provided it has a jump, naturally ;)).

XBARNSTERX
9th November 2009, 07:24 AM
I found once auto pilot was activated you cant br , might just be me though. I always wait till the br starts before hitting square.

leungbok
9th November 2009, 07:30 AM
Same for me, never done a BR while ap was activated. Never succeeded in pulse too, only in pure.

Vartazian
9th November 2009, 07:58 AM
BRing in AP is Not Possible. You must Deactivate the AP then BR. This is nicer cause it usually throws you fast in the direction you Disengage.

Connavar
9th November 2009, 08:08 AM
BR in AP worked in older wipeouts like Pure and Pulse I think, but haven't
managed to do one in HD, otherwise I would use AP a lot more often lol.

BlochNWhitey
9th November 2009, 08:51 AM
Just as a quick note on the autopilot BR'ing, it's quite random, but happens when the autopilot puts the input in, depending on the angle of the corner and whatnot.

That said, it's never completed a BR, but I've heard the sound and seen the craft roll somewhat like it had put the command in.

As far as other tricks go, using an AP right in the beginning of tech de ra Reverse while slightly on the outside of the beginning of the turn is way fast as well.

JFthebestJan
9th November 2009, 11:31 AM
@ eLhabib: i don't believe that it's so "easy" as u said, otherwise more elites would use this technique to go faster in special sections.
the 2x it happened to me, i was racing online @ rapier-speed.

@ vartazian: it is possible, believe me. maybe it's completely random.:?:

eLhabib
9th November 2009, 12:27 PM
Sorry, my mistake - this worked in Pure and somehow I assumed it would work in HD as well - guess I was wrong :paperbag

yeldar2097
9th November 2009, 12:35 PM
I often manage BRs with AP at the last turn on Seb Rev and sometimes after the hairpin on CP fwd, no idea how to do it deliberately though.

Maybe AP can read my mind... :P

Quaking someone just before they get to a weapon pad = no weapon for quake recipient...PITA if you're low on % as a result of the quake and on the receiving end :g

Connavar
9th November 2009, 12:54 PM
Well about the quake, you can imagine it's disrupting the track itself (and you
can see it even!), so it's normal :)

yeldar2097
9th November 2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah I know, I just thought it was quite a neat little trick for if you want to steal a pad from someone, as opposed to using the quake straight away.
TBH I never use it (because quakes are EVIL)...
I'm very often on the receiving end though - Probably coincidence but I reckon it could be quite handy if you were actually trying to do it :)

mizunoori
10th November 2009, 05:04 AM
Quakes...argh ^_^

Say, do they ship has to be on the Track to be hit by the quake? Or does the Quake even hit you when you are in the air? An example is the boost-jump on ubermall.

Vartazian
10th November 2009, 05:52 AM
They Hit you Regardless. its a pain in the ass.

As for the BR while AP'ing I wont believe it till I see some proof I just tried Ubermall, Modesto and Chengou and it didnt work any time.

yeldar2097
10th November 2009, 12:38 PM
I might have a video of sebR showing it, will have a look tonight.

JFthebestJan
10th November 2009, 03:47 PM
@ mizunoori: it is possible to escape a quake (esquake, lol). just get off track, like an "out of bounds" in golf. u will respawn, but u won't be slowed down.

techniques/barrelrolls:
there re easy ones in the game; the trickier ones needs good timing and pitching; the really hard ones needs superb timing and pitching and sideshifting of course. @ last the lucky BRs, sideshifting is a must do to get those ones done. i will try to make a video of the lucky BRs i know.

Vartazian
10th November 2009, 03:52 PM
Yes if you do go out of bounds you do escape the quake (I guess I could of mentioned that thanks JF). But Usually the risk isnt worth the reward as you can be put back further and be left more behind then if you just hit the quake (SSing into a speedpad preety much nullifies the effect of a quake to a certain degree)

ACE-FLO
10th November 2009, 03:58 PM
in Pulse, side shifting when you're just about to be hit by a wep (but not a quake) , worked wonders for me... i wonder if this is possible in hd fury? gonna try it.

tug_14
10th November 2009, 04:24 PM
one way to escape about a quake :
get a boost
get a vey good timing

So , u have to activate ur boost when quake join ur ass and surfing it ( the quake )

Zitrax
10th November 2009, 07:43 PM
I have also seen BR with autopilot, but I just thought it was a bug as I never tried to do it on pupose. But I think I have only seen it twice or so..

QjonPL
13th November 2009, 05:16 PM
Today I (almost) managed to crash together 2 Quakes :D
Playing Eliminator on Metropia, I suddenly heard "Quake!", I picked up nearest weapon pad and what I got? Quake ]:> So quick flip and waiting for the incoming evil wave.
- Eat that! - I shouted when quake was in front of me, I pressed Square and... Nothing happened... The Quake hit me and flew further AND after that MY quake fired up :mad:

Hmm... So many quakes in my post...

multibodydynamics
13th November 2009, 09:34 PM
My guess is that two quakes pass each other with no effect at all. They just carry on in their respective direction. When will we get a lasso weapon!?! It would be awesome to catch 3 or 4 opponents on a straight section of a track and throw them backwards! I would also like to get a small speed boost since I'm "stealing" some of their momentum. It would be an awesome weapon... Right?

Lance
13th November 2009, 11:46 PM
The old force barrier weapon from WO3 can be used in a way that's a bit like that, making the ships that hit it bounce back, though the barrier only covers about half the track width. And you can pass through it yourself with no effect. But you don't get any energy from the other ships.

JFthebestJan
20th November 2009, 09:19 PM
a few days ago i raced against XBARNSTERX (100%1 of the best i've ever played with!:D), it was MPSR/MOA<</phantom; we fought a great battle with almost no weapons at all. almost every lap he got AP just b4 magstrip and used it to overtake me in the loop, so he guessed (viaPM) AP is a fantastic way to gain a higher speed during the MOA-magstrip-section.
he found a new advanced technique.
un4tunetly it doesn't work on METROPIA-magstrip, not sure about CHENGOU<<.

XBARNSTERX
21st November 2009, 12:59 AM
Yeah JF they where some great games mate, neck an neck most of the time.
Metropia doesnt work because ap runs you down the middle missing the pads:?
Both mags on moa work fine, not sure about the first on reverse though.
Chenghou works :p
I'll have to check on talons, i dont think it would work there. To be able to hit all pads anyway.
Second mag on amphi works, no pads:lol
Same goes for modesto, only a small mag there so nothing gained really.

Anyway mate look forward to race you soon:dizzy

Edit.. is there even pads on the mag on talons, lol im not sure.

Koleax
21st November 2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah, there's one down the middle.

multibodydynamics
21st November 2009, 01:20 PM
Found out the other night when playing eliminator online that if you pick up a quake when another quake is active you can't fire it! It seems like 2 quakes can't be active at the same time. If you press square, the quake is fired automatically as soon as possible.

abukii
21st November 2009, 01:32 PM
Ive always found using AP on mag strips kinda "scrabbles" the nav system. For a split second, your ship gets all "wobbly" and then straightens out.

XBARNSTERX
21st November 2009, 06:37 PM
@abukii, you just need to learn when/where to activate it and when to disengage .
Takes a bit of practice:+

DrMannevond
22nd November 2009, 05:17 PM
Found out the other night when playing eliminator online that if you pick up a quake when another quake is active you can't fire it! It seems like 2 quakes can't be active at the same time. If you press square, the quake is fired automatically as soon as possible.

Aha! So that's what happened when I quaked myself the other day:lol
I fired the quake, nothing happened for two seconds, and then it fired from where I was when I hit square the first time, which was now behind me. Instant death.:rolleyes:
And about autopilots BR'ing - it's happened to me several times on Sebenco rev, Metropia reverse and once on Vineta fwd. Why it happens I don't know, but I would guess it's the AP 'accidentally' doing a l-r-l while trying to keep me on the track.

ACE-FLO
22nd November 2009, 05:39 PM
Ive always found using AP on mag strips kinda "scrabbles" the nav system. For a split second, your ship gets all "wobbly" and then straightens out.
If I use AP, on a magstrip, I make sure i'm not turning my ship when I engage it, coz the ship WILL wobble...

... what I do is, use it on a straight section, works much better. However, I believe that i'm faster on tracks without AP, and only use it if I don't know a track properly. And when I do, I pay close attn to the adjustments the AP makes, like watching craft placement before a corner/turn, and the use of AirBrakes. I beleive that the AP always takes the most generic racing line, by learning it, you can make tweaks to your own racing line, and get faster than the AP...

it's how I learned Pulse (+help from many many Zoners) and how i'm learning HD FURY, currently...

hope this helps :)

yeldar2097
23rd November 2009, 01:48 AM
Beware the AP young ACE, 't could prove to be your undoing.
/oddball

Good plan in theory but there are quite a few places where you will never be able to replicate what the AP can do (not necessarily meaning that cannot be faster but you see what I mean) *ahem* chenghou fwd hairpin *ahem*.

Maybe someone could write a guide (or just do a long post/thread (if there isn't one already)) explaining where AP can be used most effectively?
...Or are the best AP locations too obvious for that?

:)

ACE-FLO
23rd November 2009, 03:33 AM
Chenghou? lol, i stay away from that one... and sebenco too... these two are my outpost 07tracks (pulse) I steered well clear of OP7 lol... but got a feeling I wont be able to shy away from chenghou and sebenco :D aint that right mr Yeldar?

lol, i better start practicing offline, bah, i hate offline play! humbugs...

EDIT: Chenghou is starting to make a lot more sense now ;)

Koleax
23rd November 2009, 03:47 AM
All I can say is, for people who don't race Phantom much, never ever ever think about using auto-pilot just before the first turn in Ubermall Reverse. It will throw you stupidly off the track before the hill inside the mall.

If you do need it for that first turn, make sure you activate before the shadow the tunnel casts on the track.

I wish there was a "drop" feature. It's insulting to absorb auto-pilot and use its energy. So useless.

yeldar2097
23rd November 2009, 03:48 AM
You do know you can cancel it anytime after you activate it right?

(not being patronising, just making sure you know :+ )

Koleax
23rd November 2009, 03:54 AM
What? Really? I swear I've tried to cancel before... :bomb

Well, maybe it's not the death sentence it appears to be.

This will improve my Phantom game. :+

ACE-FLO
23rd November 2009, 04:07 AM
i've been cancelling AP just before the stupid thing ends up screwing me over on a difficult part of the track ;) since fusion lol,,, 'disengaged' sounds dead sexy in HD FURY lol

F.E.I.S.A.R
23rd November 2009, 07:49 AM
I did this in Pure and Pulse(I think).I activated the Auto-Pilot and absorbed the Auto-Pilot when the timer was about to be up.Is it possible to do this in HD(I don't have a PS3,so I cannot find out)

rdmx
23rd November 2009, 09:35 AM
You are able to deactivate the AP in pulse and hd, but not in pure. It can lead to some 'hilarious' nose to billboard action. >_>

F.E.I.S.A.R
23rd November 2009, 12:00 PM
I know that this thread is about HD,but I also remember another curious thing that happened when I was playing Pure.It was Sinucit,Free Play mode. After getting the free boost pickup,I turned around and hit the wall of the jump with the boost.I managed to gain enough height to actually go onto the track(somehow).

abukii
23rd November 2009, 02:57 PM
@XBarnsterX -- Right on. I have been researching Auto-Pilot for some time now. I do find that, even when activated on a straight going onto a Mag, the AP will scramble for a few mili- seconds then correct itself. If you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. Perhaps Ill shoot a video for you guys and gals to see what I mean. Itll give me an excuse to bust out my camera (which I think Im going to paint like a ClapTrap).

OBH
24th November 2009, 11:07 AM
AP is a gem. Some corners it really does fling you round faster than is physically possibly. That and theres nothing quite like being in the back of a crowded track, and then using AP to barge your way through :)

The downside of course is on some corners where AP simply s*its itself and dies.

i had planned to make a video on this ages and ages ago, maybe i should do one now while the nets down. ill get on it. :rock

blackwiggle
24th November 2009, 11:30 AM
AP is just like Top Gear if you imagined Jeremy Clarckson swapping from passenger seat to drivers seat with James May ,mid course. :D

siriusbee
24th November 2009, 11:37 AM
Shamanism is not a religion. It is a *set of techniques*.

Lance
24th November 2009, 01:39 PM
Like the Craft.

Now you just need the Race Craft. ;)

PSMuF
26th November 2009, 03:19 PM
I've had some pretty nasty AP incidents, actually flipping the craft on its thrusters in Chenghou Project (I know Piranha looks somewhat like a rocket, but come on, this is seriously overdoing it!)

Another strange occurence: using a quake in the first mag strip section of the Amphiseum forward (the very steep drop right at the beginning), only the sound effect was played. Quake still available as my weapon, no graphical effects, no actual effect, just sound. I spammed it 2-3 times on my way down, before it finally did its job when I left the mag strip. Haven't tried it again, but that was really weird!

ACE-FLO
10th July 2010, 12:38 PM
Got one here for recovering from weapon hits. Not sure if many of you do this naturally anyway, but for the benefit of the masses, I'll share with you:

Rockets, missiles, cannons and quakes - they get you from behind :D upon impact, they usually slow you down, often to a halt - and then scraping or worse, married to a wall. there go 3 seconds of your race time :(

It's bad enough getting hit by a weapin from behind, but marrying a wall :brickwall no thanks.

Scenario: your racing along on Moa Therma for example, you just done one lap, as you going rount the right bend past MR SOMO's you get hit by a wep from behind - immediately your ship slows down, but worse - you're heading for the wall on the left ... NOOOOOOOOO, (I'm too young to be married :D)

What to do? Tap the right airbrake - each time you feel your ship pull magnetically to the left (towards wall), this will help keep your ship in the racing line, and stop you from losing more time than needed - quicker recovery.

You can do this anywhere, just gotta learn the technique. No doubt the top pilots who play, already do this without thinking, Big respect to ya! You know who you are :)

yeldar2097
10th July 2010, 01:37 PM
Diagonal Sideshift recoveries ftw :banzai

ACE-FLO
10th July 2010, 02:43 PM
:paperbag - didn';t help me against OBH one bit - the git was targetting me from the start... even had the balls to tell me via PSN message that he was gonna be slowing down to hit me and schit :D no lies, I got sandwiched so hard between him and your protege Fantmusik that recovery was almost impossible... then it got crazier when Chaos80 and a few other pilots showed up :D

OBH, come back online - I got a revenge attack waitng for yo ass! :g

OBH
10th July 2010, 02:51 PM
Haha, sorry about that, made for good filming for my little montage i got going though :beer

Was good to not lose a single race, the multiplayer rust is slowly, slowly being chipped away, and was nice to talk to fantmusik!! Funny bloke :g

Cant get on again though, off to free dnb and dubstep festival

ACE-FLO
10th July 2010, 02:53 PM
git :g

JFthebestJan
18th July 2010, 06:59 PM
some days ago i raced metropia online, was destroyed in the downhill section, after respawn i saw a team banner on the left-hand side :]
was this always there?

Darkdrium777
18th July 2010, 08:44 PM
Yes. It was first seen in promo screenshots for HD in 2008. ;)