PDA

View Full Version : different graphics between Saturn versions?

AG-wolf
8th November 2009, 04:05 AM
Wipeout on Saturn was the first wipeout game I was exposed to... I recently bought a new computer and finally have the luxury of being able to run a Saturn emulator. I loaded Wipeout to try, but had to abruptly stop when I was greeted with this:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/966/photo776.jpg
Animated gif (http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9052/70523840.gif) apx 230kb

that is NOT the controller I have seen in the options menu from day 1... The emulator is running an ISO that I personally ripped from my own copy of the game. Does this controller model show up in the European or Japanese copies of the game? I told the emulator to use the USA bios file, but maybe the game thinks it's running on a japanese console or something (ala putting "Sonic 3D Blast" into a PAL MegaDrive and seeing "Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island")...

has anyone ever seen this appear in their game on an actual console?

edit: For the record, I am well aware there are multiple different official Saturn controllers. Whenever I played the game, it always showed the launch-model for US/PAL consoles, not the japanese one that just showed up in the emulator

Amorbis
8th November 2009, 10:46 AM
I've never seen that before, it looks like a Japanese Saturn controller to me. On my European copy it shows a black European Model 1 controller. I can't find any videos of the Japanese menus on YouTube but I can only presume that it will appear on the Japanese version as they had the Model 2 controller since launch. The controller's grey/blue colour scheme is Japanese, too.

billychanxtr33m
8th November 2009, 09:56 PM
im no expert on this kind of thing but the only thing the bios should have control over is the ability to boot the rom. it could be that some code that was blocked out on the disc slipped by the emulator.

Task
9th November 2009, 03:32 PM
Well, with what I know about software my best guess would be that it's the emulator.
The emulator is pretending to be a Saturn, so it decides how to respond to all the calls the game makes to the OS layer. As you've guessed, it likely replies in a way that says "I'm a Japanese Saturn!"