PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to have... [skill matching]

karsten_beoulve
4th November 2009, 10:53 AM
a real trueskill system and an option to pair people with similar skills in races?

I think that having a real evaluation to your performances would be far more gratificating than just having a number growing no matter how well you play...

Also sometimes i wish there was some kind of chance to play with people more or less equally skilled as you, to get more lively races...

your ideas?

Constrictor
4th November 2009, 11:13 AM
In general I agree. Would be nice to have. Besides this there are so many other things that could enhance WOHD. Sadly, there is no one out there who cares.

Specific to my situation and the pairing feature: IMO the WOHD community is very (too) small and I usually do not join races w/ players that I do not know or I wasn't beaten up by them before. I tend to benchmark against the better/best players compared to my level. Therefore, this feature could prevent me from racing against the 3L1t3. I enjoy most of the times being pwned :blarg My win/loss ration does reflect this impressively.

AG-wolf
4th November 2009, 11:57 AM
I like the idea, perhaps i wouldn't be wiped across the floor repeatedly by half the people I end up racing... but at the same time, there wouldn't be that push to get better at the game. It would always be a middle of the ground experience, you win and you lose, and the only place to improve yourself really would be single player practice.

When I race and am constantly looking at the ass-end of the more skilled player out there, it's a way for me to gauge my own skill... I can tell I've improved when I'm able to keep up with certain names longer, and even beat them on occasion.

It might be fun as an option, but there's no way to tell how much it would dilute the challenge :/ I personally wouldn't really use it, but that doesn't mean other people wouldn't... and even if they did, it might change my racing experience since I'd have fewer potential opponents.

karsten_beoulve
4th November 2009, 01:32 PM
In general I agree. Would be nice to have. Besides this there are so many other things that could enhance WOHD. Sadly, there is no one out there who cares.

Specific to my situation and the pairing feature: IMO the WOHD community is very (too) small and I usually do not join races w/ players that I do not know or I wasn't beaten up by them before. I tend to benchmark against the better/best players compared to my level. Therefore, this feature could prevent me from racing against the 3L1t3. I enjoy most of the times being pwned :blarg My win/loss ration does reflect this impressively.

Eh i understand what you mean! i have a win/loss ratio of 1/30 since i started playing on phantom... After all i know that when i get in race with varta, jasmin, fgdk, ponta, sinus etc, i can only hope to get behind them :P

actually i've played against all the "gurus" here many times, but i'm positive nobody of them remembers seeing me (beside on the starting grid) :D

i mean that i too play to get better and improve (and fight in the back for undreds of races), but sometimes i wouldn't mind to enter a race with someone i can battle with just for relaxing and refreshing my nerves :P

as a last thing, i think that playing with people on your level or a little better is actually a better training that playing against a player that can give you 10 seconds in a 5 laps race on phantom...

BTW i keep training to get good enough to play a match in the WWC someday, so i won't stop getting bashed :)

SaturnReturn
4th November 2009, 05:29 PM
I don't play games online much, but I've found that skill matching doesn't seem to work very well. If I use it I end up waiting a looooooong time. It works OK with a popular game when loads are online, but for less popular games I don't think it would work as well. WipEout HD has seemed to be dying out a bit recently. There are often only a couple of phantom rooms open at a time when I'm online. I basically have to take what I can get if those on my friends list aren't online. If the game had to try and match skill levels to others then I think it would be a lot harder to find a game.

But in theory, yes, I think it would have been a good option to have had in the game from the start. In games where it is used, it's still rare that you would only play against people of exactly the same level, so I think you would still race players often that show you how much better you could be, and against whom you can test and judge yourself.

Zitrax
4th November 2009, 07:56 PM
A better rating system would be great, if that included a function to match you with players of the same rating that would be a nice addition. But as SaturnReturn indicates there are probably too few players for that to work for Wipeout at the moment, I mean you can be waiting for players for quite a while even though there are no matching at all at the moment.

But the most fun games are the ones that are even, some time ago I played a couple of 12 lap races where the difference between me and the other guy was around 1 second consistently, great fun :)

Gusto-Pastel
4th November 2009, 08:52 PM
If rank goes up on the basis of races completed, you power level the same way lazy people do the 99 lap trophy; stick pilot assist on and find a way to keep the X button pushed while you go for a cuppa.

Vartazian
4th November 2009, 09:40 PM
That wouldnt work as your rank doesnt go up if you get a DNF. The other racers would REALLY have to suck.

yeldar2097
4th November 2009, 09:49 PM
you could just get two people in a private game and run some epic tourneys. not sure why you would though...
Anyone game? :g

SaturnReturn
4th November 2009, 09:52 PM
I'll take you on again. This time I get to use bombs and you don't. Sound good?

Vartazian
4th November 2009, 09:55 PM
How about this. You guys can use your little green weapons and Ill be Mr Bombastic ;)

yeldar2097
4th November 2009, 09:57 PM
TBH if we're all holding X with PA on I'm not sure we'd need to shoot anyone.

--> Happy yeldar ^_^

Vartazian
4th November 2009, 10:01 PM
But im not happy if Im not killing someone!

Unfortunately Saturn and Yeldar are too damn far ahead for me to shoot them...

SaturnReturn
4th November 2009, 10:22 PM
You know we (myself included) are getting way off topic when Vart starts complimenting Dutchmen. :p Subtle hint. ;)

Vartazian
4th November 2009, 10:27 PM
Its Very relevant isnt it? Were talking about how you guys are outside of my league... and We need a better matching system so I can practice >=)

yeldar2097
4th November 2009, 10:41 PM
Simple: Less shoot, more BR - Easy money
:g

/offtopic

Zitrax
5th November 2009, 09:02 PM
Or a handicap system, with different amount of time in headstart. I tried that manually against a guy once that was not as good as me. He got exactly one lap headstart and then all our races got extremely even in the end, I usually finished within a second from him, some wins some losses :)

Koleax
5th November 2009, 10:02 PM
With enough people, it'd be interesting, but I'd rather have eliminations first. Considering the lapped player is often someone who destroys themselves early by running into walls, I prefer it if they were just not allowed to respawn.

IH8YOU
5th November 2009, 10:28 PM
Gaz, once im not working 45 hours every 3 days, bet ur ass im game. What r ya up to this weekend? Back to work for now. ( im serious , boo )

Rapier Racer
5th November 2009, 11:34 PM
Waste of time, I can easily find opponents that deliver a challenge. Likewise its usually clear before entering a race that its going to be a cakewalk usually when the good guys are recharging and there's only fodder online.

How do these systems work anyway? I sure hope it wouldn't be using the online rank, which is a pretty meaningless statistic.