PDA

View Full Version : Racer's choice: regular or SE?

Roger
7th December 2002, 09:27 PM
There seem to be very few racers posting times on the SE tables. Sure, the game is supposedly very rare, but there's gotta be more people that own it. Considering the quality of the game there ought to be, anyway.

All you that own both Wip3out and Wip3out SE: which one do you play more often? I'm currently hooked on SE, working hard to improve my times (with there being so few contestants, even I made it into the top 10 :) )

Task
8th December 2002, 04:30 AM
Oddly enough, I've been playing more GT3 than anything else the past two weeks (for some reason, the D-Pad is just slaughtering my thumb every time I fly Stanza Inter. Not usually a problem for me, but now I see it as a definite plus on the side of the analog stick.) but when I do just sit down to play Wipeout, I'd be more likely to play SE than anything else. Mostly because I haven't unlocked everything yet. It's so big!

Roger
8th December 2002, 08:41 AM
Oddly enough, I've been playing more GT3 than anything else the past two weeks...
I know the feeling. I picked up Ridge Racer type 4 (ten bucks, bargain bin) and got hooked on it pretty bad. The graphics are really nice and I just love the music!

Anyways, after skidding around Yokohama for a week, it was such a relief to step back into the precise handling of an AG craft. Bliss! :D

zargz
8th December 2002, 08:48 AM
I prefere SE it's better in almost all ways - bigger letters 'next track' thing the extra prototypes and so on 8)

Lance
8th December 2002, 03:35 PM
Roger: i love RR4. i was addicted to it for quite awhile. and love that intro. and the car designs! [once you get above the basic novice ones]. the announcer, the cheering crowds, the fireworks. and the camera helicopter i could not live without. and maybe best of all, you have to pass the leader for the win right at the narrowest, trickiest part of the course right before the finish line, so it's do or die, right here, right now. one little error and he wins while you slide into a wall and watch him cross the line. great stuff.

one day. one day, my friends. i,too shall play the mighty SE! speed the day.
[no, i'm not drunk]

stin
8th December 2002, 03:51 PM
The difference between WO3 and WO3SE cos SE the tracks are alot brighter and can see through the tunnels and WO3 which is a wee bit darker cos if I trying to turn the corner (tunnel) which everytime I got hit the edge and lost control :( thats why I play the SE!

Maybe I`m different

stin :)

lunar
8th December 2002, 05:02 PM
3SE is better than 3, mostly because you get a bigger choice of tracks without changing the disk. Its also the best choice if you could only have 1 game, I think. The Desert Island Wipeout.

DJ Techno
8th December 2002, 06:26 PM
Does anybody have a video clip or something to show me what WO3SE looks like.
I have been trying to get a hold of it, and no luck since.
I could only say Wipeout 3 is better than SE because I have been playing 3 for so long. THat it's Great :P Sure a better choice of tracks might be great, but what about teams.

jmoid
8th December 2002, 06:35 PM
i prefer SE - slightly nicer handling on the ships.

i got heavily into improving my times around 18 months ago and to be honest the times i have on the phantom class tables probably represent the best i'm capable of, so unless i win the lottery and get a lot more time to practice i don't think i'll be updating amytime soon...

(btw my name is on the tables is jamie hancock)

Mano
10th December 2002, 05:30 AM
Look what came via air mail to my hands today!!!!!:

http://espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/Mis+fotos&.src=ph&.dnm=wo3se.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/lst%3f%26.dir=/Mis%2bfotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

After playing with it for a while i like it better than wo3, its more refined and complete (better controls and more tracks), its also more comfortable (autoload at start, next race options, etc.), this one is gonna take twice as long to complete, and (this is just cosmetic) there are wind trails.

Ah almost forgot, theres the link option that isnt in wo3, havent used it yet but for me its a lot better than having to play split screen. thats all i can see for now as i just got the game today, i must be the only person in Peru with this game lol.

more images (not related to the topic):

http://espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/Mis+fotos&.src=ph&.dnm=gato.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/lst%3f%26.dir=/Mis%2bfotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

(strong candidate for my avatar if the option is ever available)

http://espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/Mis+fotos&.src=ph&.dnm=catphoneF.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/lst%3f%26.dir=/Mis%2bfotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

(lol, yes its its tail but still looks funny as hell)

Wiseman
10th December 2002, 05:35 AM
LOL, that tail looks totally wrong, man! :lol:

Also, I do believe there is a link option in Wipeout 3, you just have to insert a code to get it (which is rather silly).

Lance
10th December 2002, 05:45 AM
Wo3 does indeed have the link option; to get it, enter ''link'' as the default player name

Mano
10th December 2002, 07:42 AM
LOL i cant believe i just found out about that, thanks guys... what where they thinking when they programmed the link option to be secret!!??!?, oh well i guess i didnt find out because not much ppl play the wipeout series around here (Peru), and also because i never look for cheats :D (i guess this secret is on every cheat/codes page, not saying anyone that knows the code is a cheater :wink: :D . j.k.)

guess i will have to send my cat army to leeds studio for hiding the link option:

http://espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/Mis+fotos&.src=ph&.dnm=5gatos.gif&.view=t&.done=http%3a//espanol.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mangelck/lst%3f%26.dir=/Mis%2bfotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

xEik
10th December 2002, 10:32 AM
In the options menu you can unlock link mode by pressing L1+R1+select+down all at the same time.

I think it was that, if not try changing select to start or L1 and R1 to L2 and R2; or it could even be L1+L2+R1+R2. I can't remember but it's easy to check.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

JABBERJAW
10th December 2002, 10:51 PM
for the wipeout 3 tracks, 3 has better handling because it's not as floaty(bs bounces down megamall, hitting cieling on sampa for no reason). On the classic tracks the physics are great though

infoxicated
11th December 2002, 08:25 AM
I definately prefer SE over 3 for getting good times. Not sure about the physics on Aridos, though - I find that really hard to get a clean lap on (note "clean" not "perfect"!). I do like the last few corners before the jump when you get them right, though - like you're on rails almost!

The lit tunnels immerse you far better into the game too - you can work on the racing rather than guessing where the track goes if you're off line or side by side with someone.

3SE = the best!

Zebula77
11th December 2002, 11:52 AM
I prefer SE, for the very cool, ultra fast prototype tracks and of course the classic tracks.

Anastasia
13th December 2002, 04:32 PM
I love both. wip3out is my favourite because I've spent a lot more time on it at present. Though I aim to get cracking with SE too. Is it true that SE carries more prototypes to unlock than wip3out? Or have I just got the wrong end of the stick :-?
I have played all the nostalgic tracks and like the extra 'twiddly bit' when you cross the finish line as opposed to the checkpoints. Sad, i know, but small things please small minds :wink:

Ana

jmoid
15th December 2002, 08:48 PM
there are 2 mega-fast (so fast you can't really play them) tracks from the japanese version to unlock...

or you could just enter ALLTRACK as your default name in the options screen...

Angryman
12th January 2003, 02:36 PM
I did'nt really like Wip3out/Wipeout 3 very much at all, infact i was quite disapointed with it, but a few months ago i decided to pick up W'o" SE which i found at blockbuster $10AU.
I only recently started to play the game, because since i didn't like wo3 i really didn't feel like playing it (wo3se)... anyways....
WipEout 3 S.E is superb!!! it feels more complete than wo3 and it's alot better than 2097.
I am now totally addicted to Wo3 s.e, i have seen the light...
It's a shame Psygnosis didn't release S.E instead of Wo'3, i'm sure if they did, it could have sold a whole lot more and gotten much, much better reviews and praise.

Piranha Advancements
12th January 2003, 04:41 PM
3SE.Damn awesome sense of speed with the nostalgic tracks.Altima!

Lance
12th January 2003, 08:10 PM
Angryman: when i started playing and buying videogames way waaaay back in the year Two-Thousand, i read a lot of game reviews. wipeout3 was universally praised for its sheer excellence in every review i saw. and i used google to find every one i could. when i played it myself, i was amazed at how great it is. why it did not sell really well, i don't know; just another demonstration of the radical differences in personal tastes, probably