PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout HD 2.10 Thoughts

SonicChaos
29th October 2009, 10:35 PM
Personally I never had any audio issues besides the voice chat until AFTER I patched up, also the game crashes randomly and the ads are nonexistent for me, but others say it still slows the game down. I want to know what you guys think, Me , I hate it.

GreenPhazon
29th October 2009, 11:22 PM
I'm liking it thus far. Seems to have improved handling issues and fixed the almost unbearable (for me) sound issues. I've had ONE advert and it definitely loaded slower because of it.

abukii
30th October 2009, 12:28 AM
Havent updated yet. But Ill be sure to comment (and vote) when I do.

IDReaper
30th October 2009, 02:59 AM
Is it just me or did the elite ai become a little more, well, elite? I cant just shove them aside anymore and they seems to have learned to ram? Lol maybe it's just me but something seemed different. I still get slow-down when I destroy another player, which I had many opurtunities to so online tonight. It felt like it lagged slighty less though? No ads, and not much else I could tell was different. I'd be all up for that red bull ad from 2097 though. =D

KIGO1987
30th October 2009, 03:15 AM
Hmm you could say that i guess. Elite AI where racing more tough than ever, or it could be i havent been on WOHD for over 2months also.

Ive seen the energy drink advert on VinetaK after the tunnel on the right.

ProblemSolver
30th October 2009, 09:49 AM
On a first glance I noticed that the sound is much better now, and also the
game runs more fluent while being in a regular race, for example a quake now
doesn't impact the resolution and / or framerate anylonger. But I noticed that
there is now some graphical-noise within the picture while racing, like if they
have added or removed something to improve the framerate. Don't know for
sure.

Koleax
31st October 2009, 02:02 AM
This is very interesting. It looks like they've managed to make the frame rate much smoother, but it looks like they've used some kind of technique other than simply producing more frames. It's almost like an inbetweening process. Or, if you've ever seen PAL video broadcasted over NTSC. That's the idea that comes to mind when I read that PS is seeing "noise."

It's hard to tell, actually, since my eyes are dry and it's cold season where I live. I might just be tired, etc.

Otherwise the frame rate looks very similar to pre-Fury. It was enough to throw me off rhythm a bit during races, especially Eliminators, where the frame dropping has been most severe. They don't manage a constant 60 FPS in Eliminators still, but it is much smoother than before. Also, zone transitions are like butter again. There's still that dropped handful of frames in the last turn of Metropia, though.

Gosh, I'm starting to think this update was pretty decent. The ads are even a refreshing departure from having to look at the sideshift and BR tips over and over again. I know what a sideshift is, thank you. That's only when the ads don't hang for a full minute, like SonicC described. That appears to happen consistently on the PixelJunk ad, but not on others, like the Fat Princess ad, which seems to go at a normal pace.

brainbeat
31st October 2009, 03:25 AM
hi pls tell musterbuster scee community moderator your feedback on the ads, maybe theyll listen http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=b_EN_G_Driving_wipeout&message.id=5622&jump=true

crawdad62
31st October 2009, 03:58 AM
Every time I get an ad screen it doesn't exactly freeze but the progress bar stops about 3/4 of the way and then takes forever to finish the load. Did it a bunch of times while online tonight. At least I held out and let it load because the race hadn't started. Must mean everyone is experiencing the same hang.

kaori
31st October 2009, 10:51 AM
Loading screens are longer, I hate it

leungbok
31st October 2009, 12:18 PM
Hope we'll see F-zero's ad during the loadings ! :lol

kaori
31st October 2009, 12:36 PM
or Mario Kart ;)

GreenPhazon
31st October 2009, 01:00 PM
To be honest, the adverts don't bother me too much. The loading screens, though they used to be superfast, are now about the same as other games (that or I haven't had a particularly long advert to sit through). All things considered, 2.10 is a definite improvement.

Dark_Phantom_89
31st October 2009, 02:43 PM
Sure, a few issues have been fixed, but things have been made a lot worse by the ad's

XBARNSTERX
31st October 2009, 03:08 PM
Updated yesterday, didn't get any ads.
Just went back online and seen them, have to say they don't bother me.
What does is how ****ing random online play seems to be now, i wasnt playing bad but just didnt get a chance of a good outcome in any of the sticky situations online brings. Weapons where bollocks , everyone seemed to have ****ing rockets all the time whilse im getting ****ing cannons.
Online sucks bigtime.
I wont be racing online anymore.

MetaKraken
31st October 2009, 03:54 PM
Patch 2.10 = No difference at all.

jan709
31st October 2009, 04:30 PM
@metakraken

i agree, except for those stupid ads:|

or Mario Kart ;)

I hope not, im allergic to italian plumbers :P

SonicChaos
31st October 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm even worse off now too. I got my first ad, it took a bit longer, but no troubles, but when I got the PixelJunk Monsters ad It takes a good minute and a half to load the next race offline. Unacceptable. I want to downgrade.

SaturnReturn
31st October 2009, 10:33 PM
Ads aside it seems OK. But I'm getting an abundance of shields right now. In some race, every third pad seems to be a shield. I can safely say it's an unusual amount of shields.

mdhay
31st October 2009, 10:52 PM
To shield yourself from the ads?;)

SaturnReturn
31st October 2009, 10:53 PM
If only.

Koleax
31st October 2009, 11:08 PM
Oh, not this again.

What does is how ****ing random online play seems to be now

It always has been random! Hasn't it?

Amorbis
31st October 2009, 11:27 PM
If you're really that bothered about the adverts and are playing online you could always go into a tournament. From the two tournaments I played yesterday the game doesn't seem to show adverts in place of the scores.

The adverts are annoying, but as long as they change often and I don't see any individual advert 100 times it should be more bearable.

SaturnReturn
31st October 2009, 11:49 PM
I had hoped that would be the case. But I was in a game with Mad-Ice tonight and was getting adverts. I expect it was maybe just a coincidence Amorbis. I'm still unsure why I didn't gave any adverts in one very long session yesterday.

mdhay
1st November 2009, 12:11 AM
We should be thankful that it isn't WeBuyAnyCar.com that are advertising :dizzy. Why can't we just have:

1: In-game companies doing ads (Mindcorp?) with the showcased game being a sponsor, the ad lasting 3-4 seconds;
2: Have one or two (literally) boards around each track showing a static image, or everybody's favourite:
3: None at all.:D

I haven't got the patch, yet.

Amorbis
1st November 2009, 01:39 AM
The current adverts are just about OK, they at least have relevance to us as players. If that were to change I would be disgruntled, I don't want insurance adverts or that sort of thing. If it were to go to the extreme of GoCompare adverts I might just stop playing WipEout HD. :eek

XBARNSTERX
1st November 2009, 11:17 AM
@Koleax...
What i meant by that, is theres less control over your tactical play style. More than there was before IMO.

Sausehuhn
1st November 2009, 05:46 PM
Haha, to be honest I like the State Farm Ads more –*style wise. Of course not their loading times.
But they were more 2D and more silent, better fitting to the game if you ask me.
Ah and I don't like the frame the ads are in. Why has there to be some pseudo-billbaord frame around it?

lunar
1st November 2009, 06:27 PM
While there are better and worse ways of doing advertising, the principle of advertising in game in this way should not be accepted. Not unless you want to see adverts on loading screens on every game you own. In my opinion it is an attempt to change the model of how games are sold, owned and played, to the benefit of the corporations and the expense of the customer. Would we accept loading screen adverts in Little Big Planet or PES or FIFA, having paid for them? No way would we and just because Wipeout HD is on the PSN instead of a disc doesn`t make it any different.

My other thought about this update is that the save file corruption it causes seems to be a fairly well known issue and the whole thing will be a massive own goal. So they managed to add adverts that nobody wants and many people actively hate, but do something else to corrupt people`s game saves. Shows what the priority is here. And afterwards..... silence. Does anyone care or test this stuff at Sony?

JFthebestJan
1st November 2009, 06:45 PM
QA? u r joking, r u not? of course they haven't a QA or something similar (to expensive). they want our money, nothing else! that's the way it goes. :(

NightArh
1st November 2009, 07:58 PM
Loading screens are longer, I hate it

there are no ingame ads for my ip address so i dont see any difference between 2.0 and 2.1 :P