PDA

View Full Version : favourite track and favourite variation?

DawnFireDragoon
27th October 2009, 02:31 AM
hey all.

playing loads of the original game and just wandered what everyones take on the tracks in the original game are.

when i first got a playstation with wipeout the year it came out, i loved terramax, i loved the futuristic racing through a mountainous green environment, but these days i think i have a preference towards Karbonis v or altima vii...somewhat for the same reasons, along with the fact i like the flow of these two tracks a lot. and the first game has that special feature of changing the time of day when you play venom or rapier.

be it silverstreams aurora, karbonis v and terramax at night or altima vii in the cloudy day, when played in rapier, it's just really cool to see these tracks in a different light.

and firestar was a great secret track. :)

any favourites? thoughts on the tracks?

lunar
27th October 2009, 09:10 AM
When I first unlocked the Rapier Altima I was wowed by it - all of the variations are brilliant. Working the pitch control for a fast lap of Silverstream is a fantastic feeling, but I think Korodera is the most satisfying track design and has some amazing corners and features. Probably also the hardest track in the game to really get the best out of, imo, and the dark, industrial setting really fits the mood of the game and the rough nature of the early anti-gravity race machines, for me :)

DawnFireDragoon
27th October 2009, 12:22 PM
completely agree, the setting is perfect. the first two games in the series, in fact, pull off that 'future, yet possible' feeling really well imo.

The satisfaction of pulling off a perfect lap in the first game is one of the best feelings as it's pretty tough. last night i managed to become a lot better at Korrodera and have a new found love of that track. time trial wise, i beat all pre-set records except silverstream rapier...but i was getting tired, i am determined to beat it after work tonight!!! :)

speaking of satisfaction, that will feel good when i beat it, as i do enjoy the track. in fact, thats a good point, i dont dislike any tracks in this game either...whereas in the later games the odd track pops up, that i just really can't stand.

Task
27th October 2009, 01:54 PM
Indeed, a brilliant set of tracks.
I think my fave of the bunch is Korodera, mostly for that downhill chicane. The design of those tight corners is brilliant: Do I try to take it in a straight line? Or is it faster to weave a bit and hit all the boost pads? I still don't know for sure! 8 )
I really dislike Arridos though. The starting grid is on the dunes, which are bouncy as all get out, and I've always had a tough time not bottoming out my craft on a flat track, never mind one designed to give you a shake-rattle-n-roll. 8 P
The rest of Arridos is fantastic, but that bumpy section really kills the whole track for me.

Hmm, where's the Kween-O-Karbonis? I'm pretty sure we're doing the ritual to summon her correctly! 8 D

DawnFireDragoon
27th October 2009, 09:48 PM
i would also agree with you on Arridos, i really like the rest of the track, but just try to get over the bumps so i can enjoy the rest of the track, the quick corners in the tunnel just after those bumps are nice though. it would have been nice to come into those from a blisterning straight instead of the bumps.

they are marginally better in the wipeout 3: special edition remake....marginally.

also, happy birthday Task!

*edit. i finally beat the silverstream rapier pre-set record (PAL), got a 02:37.01, which is nothing compared to the top record on here... 02:03:50....HOW!?!?

the routes make a big difference, another cool feature of these older tracks are those alternate routes. i think i beat the time using left, right, left. the last right seems long.

lunar
28th October 2009, 11:18 AM
Left, right, left is definitely the best on Silverstream. There are still some people out there who think otherwise, but they are in the same category as those who believe the earth is flat and that a little fairy takes away children`s baby teeth at night in exchange for money ;)

Silverstream video here (http://www.youtube.com/user/spk3600#p/u/6/eR4Tb5uP87M) not quite on the pace for the TT record, but the lap starting at 2.54 is the best one. You need a lot of pitch control to keep the speed up. I think SR on Wipeout PAL is never as fast as TT for some reason.

Someone recently suggested a new best turbo place for Silverstream - I think it was the point at 3.06 in the video but I`m not quite sure and can`t find the thread. This would be a revolution as the bottom of the big hill has always been accepted as the best.... maybe the earth is flat after all ;)

Hmm, where's the Kween-O-Karbonis? I'm pretty sure we're doing the ritual to summon her correctly! 8 D

Haven`t seen her around for ages :( You never know there could be a puff of smoke and she`ll appear.

DawnFireDragoon
28th October 2009, 03:00 PM
thanks for the vid link. wow!

i tried to do some single races last night...it's tough. i'm positive you need to go left at the end of your lap, i was going right for ages, then went left and it took loads off my time...so i'm not so sure the earth is that flat!!! :)

i guess it really depends on an individual pilot and how well they do on different parts of the track though.

KGB
28th October 2009, 03:59 PM
Lunar is **** hot at this, played this game for a long time and it never looked like that. :mad:

I will always have a soft spot for Altima - venom as it was the first track I saw someone play and the first one I played. I wish they would make something like it for HD. Wide open spaces and countryside. The only thing close to it in HD is Sol 2. Sometimes less is more.

DawnFireDragoon
28th October 2009, 04:33 PM
yeah, i know a lot of people who were amazed by altima vii, it was the demo course that was on quite a few demo discs back then too.

HD definitely could have benefited from some of the true classics...nowhere near enough track variation in that game.

i'm really enjoying replaying the game, i used to do it nearly every year, but haven't had time for a while. so this is great.

Slacker
29th October 2009, 11:29 PM
The Korodera Rapier version is epic, for one reason, and that is the "Wipeout is OOOOOOOL!" billboard with the penguin on it. I want a .jpg of that billboard.

BTW, what's the name of the song on the Silverstream video? I like it.

lunar
30th October 2009, 05:25 PM
It`s "Line of Sight" by Dan F from the album "Wired" by Hyper.

Lance
2nd November 2009, 10:02 PM
The "Kween-O-Karbonis?"
Hey, I may be gay, but I'm not a Queen... uh.. hm.. oh. I guess you musta meant Izzy. Yep, she's a master on Karbonis, which as it happens, is also my favourite track on the original. That set of downhill esses, I just love it; it feels so great when you do it right. And that tight little curve at the bottom of the big downhill, where it's a bit tough [for me] to hit both speedpads perfectly every time. When I zoom down the hill, cut inside exactly to the millimeter and swoop out down the outside of the straight through the other turbo. And then there's the straight down to the top of the esses, where you go over the break and set up in the air for a perfect landing in the corner already pointing where you have to go. But I'm rambling in my enthusiasm.

Task
3rd November 2009, 01:57 AM
8 )
Next we'll go off in a corner and bask in the glories of the downhill turn coming out of the upper level tunnel on Terminal. 8 D

I also really like Korodera.
That was my first favourite track in WO1.
If it weren't for having to nose down off the jump just to stop the wuss wagon from picking you up, it would'a probably stayed there.

Medusa
3rd November 2009, 03:52 AM
LOL guys, right ritual *PUFF* Someone types they like Karbonis and I appear...:hyper *sings in best Queen voice* You're my best friend!!

I agree with Lance on the esses, they're great. I think it's my favourite because it's not just all about the left and right twisting, but also the up and down movement.;)
(Although again I must confess I could never play the original decently until I got a Neggie.)

I can't handle the pressure on Karbonis Venom anymore, I think I cracked lol, so Karbonis in Rapier would be my fave. The big downhill seems so much bigger. And everything seems faster at night. And the stars are so pretty, sometimes they distract me from the track. And I love the track so much. Oh I think I'm rambling. Time to disappear. *poof*

What a great game! WO forever.

-- --------------
Now playing: thank you, my twilight [perfect live] (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/-/track/thank+you%2c+my+twilight)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

DawnFireDragoon
3rd November 2009, 11:33 AM
good comments :)

it just makes me want to play the original more! such good course design.

lunar
3rd November 2009, 12:43 PM
I also really like Korodera.
If it weren't for having to nose down off the jump just to stop the wuss wagon from picking you up, it would'a probably stayed there.

The strange thing is once I learned the line the wuss bot stopped being a problem at all. I haven`t played Wipeout 1 for 18 months or so, but the last thing I did was to stumble upon a a line to land that Korodera jump smoothly with no bounce at all, which was an exciting moment! It requires those 4 ways of movement in perfect harmony - which is what we`re talking about in this game :bat

Glad to see the spells work and that Medusa can still be summoned with the correct incantations. Great to see you here, briefly, hope all is well in the frozen north :)

Lance
3rd November 2009, 12:57 PM
Hi, Izzy, we should mention Karbonis more often!

disallowautoaim
5th November 2009, 03:36 AM
My favorite has to be Korodera, near the end of the track I just love hitting the 6 boosters before the hairpin, hitting another three and then flying down towards the end of the track, the sense of speed once you get it right is just something else. :)

Other than that it would be Firestar, that track is difficult but if you get the right line its sweet!! Again at the end of the track if you can make it through the last tight "S" bend after 3 boosters, and around the last corner it looks legendary....

I really dislike Arridos though. The starting grid is on the dunes, which are bouncy as all get out, and I've always had a tough time not bottoming out my craft on a flat track, never mind one designed to give you a shake-rattle-n-roll. 8 P
The rest of Arridos is fantastic, but that bumpy section really kills the whole track for me.

I take it that you use Qirex, if you hit the first bump normally (on rapier) and pull up for the next bump you will float beautifully over the rest in a shimmy-floaty-bumpy-fashion. That part of the track is my favorite, because once you get it right, it looks class :D

lunar
5th November 2009, 08:24 AM
My favorite has to be Korodera, near the end of the track I just love hitting the 6 boosters before the hairpin

Agreed. Best bit of track in the whole wipeout series, imo :+ There are some close rival sections in the rest of Wipeout 1 and 2097, but getting round that hairpin at full speed, after hitting all the speed pads, with the sound of the engine maxed out, is poetry in motion.

Dark_Phantom_89
9th November 2009, 07:23 PM
Altima has such nostalgic value for me, so I'd say that it's my favourite