PDA

View Full Version : Piloting Tips - Discussion Thread

willsgb13
6th June 2009, 12:42 AM
thanks lunar and alterego, i managed it :rock i beat the time required of 1.57 by 0.1 seconds, which was close to say the least! i... will probably come across as noobish, but i'm not entirely sure how to barrel roll; it's only happened a couple of times for me, usually when using the piranha ship in single races, and it seems to happen at random. perhaps i should read the manual :beer

anyway, i used the boost powerup on the hard right before the split, usually took the right with the boost on the first step and it being generally easier to hit the 2 boosts after the split from the right IMO. i used icaras, but found zone easier to use. bit of a copout but it was ****in hard to nail the track eventually. i like the challenge of the game though. in a game where failing simply means learning the track and trying again, it's still a game of skill and nerve to hit those rapid times and get the golds. i hit every boost pad on the lap all 4 times, and it was just enough. needed an aggressive final turn though, no airbreaks, approaching on the outside and turning early to slip onto the boost pad on the final straight and stagger over the line. lap record of just under 29 seconds. i'm assuming you guys managed it, you sound more accomplished at the overall game of pure. anyway, booya! :guitar

Mad-Ice
6th June 2009, 10:37 AM
Congratulations Will! Well done. The BRs in Single Race do not work all the time. Especially when you are close to other ships, the BR won't work. It has something to do with framerate, so your input is not registered in the right way. So, you need to be in first place as fast as you can to be able to BR in Single Race. In Time Trial you are able to do it every time if you are quick enough to press left-right-left or right-left-right.

Good luck in your proces to beat the game and unlocking every gold medal. If you want you can enter your own times in the record tables of Wipeoutzone. Look at the homepage and tick records. But make sure to read the rules when entering times here.

archman
6th June 2009, 10:46 AM
I never had those "failing" BRs. I simply "slide" my thumb from left to right a few times. Like kandang in his clips, let's say.

willsgb13
8th June 2009, 10:03 PM
thank you mad ice! i've had fun incorporating the BRs into my races, although i've only used them on TT so far so i cannot comment on whether they fail on single race or not as you and archman discuss, i know i managed them a few times before you made that post informing me how to do them properly, and i wasn't always in first place either. i shall experiment perhaps, and report with findings.

khara was insane. i feel like trying it again with BRs. they certainly help your times, although a couple of times doing them on exostra park, i've gone off the track which has screwed my race up. just have to master the racing line and ship handling and weight intricacies. nice one. i shall now let you guys continue to build a library of tips! perhaps i'll add my own although i don't think i'm expert enough to do so deservedly yet, clearly. anyway :rock

Mad-Ice
9th June 2009, 05:36 AM
I never had those "failing" BRs. I simply "slide" my thumb from left to right a few times. Like kandang in his clips, let's say.

That is because you guys are using CFW. If you use OFW like the game is supposed to be played you will have these problem.

Anyway, I am happy with your progress Will. If you need any more tips on tracks, just ask.

Mad-Ice
9th June 2009, 05:41 AM

That is because you guys are using CFW. If you use OFW like the game is supposed to be played you will have these problem.

Anyway, I am happy with your progress Will. If you need any more tips on tracks, just ask.

rdmx
9th June 2009, 12:00 PM
Mad-Ice, CFW is not a recipe for instant BR success. I don't know what on earth causes the issue, but it IS somehwat a proximity to other craft-related issue and not a frame-rate related issue. Even if the game is smooth as butter, most BRs still fail when close to an AI craft. It's a rare occurence when a BR works near an opponent. Having played on a CFW PSP, there are many BRs that simply won't happen regardless and saying cfw is the key for instant success is not correct.

To complicate things further, some BRs don't work even if you're far away from opponents and with the frame rate ultra smooth. Maybe it's simply poor coding, poor 'in the air' status detection?

archman
9th June 2009, 02:18 PM
That is because you guys are using CFW.

Ok, I have to disagree here. What's that got to do with BRs? You think an increase in fps? No, man, I use the default setting, which is the same as your ofw.

If you use OFW like the game is supposed to be played you will have these problem.

Ok, I know that "that" fw is not meant to be (used for the PSP) but I honestly admire your loyalty to an everfailing S*ny, even though you suffer so much (and we *fw users because we (me, personally) play on your settings to keep the fair play) bad gameplay, because you practically say "this game was meant to be played with all this bugs, and we need to suffer on them". Really, hats down. But not me, thanks. ;)
There's too much to say here, but nvm.

Mad, please don't find this reply offensive, I'm just expressing my feelings about that certain "war of fw's". But I know that you understand. We already talked about that. And from this moment on, I'm burying this "topic" for the eternity. No more speech about it.

btw.: I'm really planning to participate on the next euro con, but if you guys disqualify "that" firmware from the tournaments, I'm out. As I certainly won't switch to OFW and support S*ny in any way.

Mad-Ice
10th June 2009, 07:42 AM
I am sorry! The way you said like: 'I simply slide my thumb from left to right a few times.' got on me!

I played Pure to death and kept on having those not working BRs in SR. So I thought if you are not experiencing them, it should be CFW. So It is not! Anyway, I do not take your post as offensive, but it can not be in: 'I simply slide my thumb from left to right a few times.'

I really appreciate you are using settings to keep the fair play. I really would like to meet you at the next Euro convention. There are more players playing with CFW at the the convention and they use their settings to play fair. So you will not have an excuse to not show up next year, lol!

Greetz Mad-Ice

archman
10th June 2009, 01:56 PM
Awwww, cheers, Mad-Ice! Ok, the money for the con is almost earned. Now I just need to plan everything. And hope that there won't be any exams by that date. I really hope I'll make it to that one. Hope to see you! ;)

ACE-FLO
10th June 2009, 05:51 PM
... I'm gonna try and make it too man! About time after all these years of racing AG mate! lol:nod:)

Mad-Ice
10th June 2009, 06:24 PM
Looking forward to see you guys in France 2010.:rock

archman
10th June 2009, 09:10 PM
Whoa, France!! Asa, kanar, kaori...frenchmen which shouldn't be missed! ;)

willsgb13
10th June 2009, 11:27 PM
may i ask what CFW and OFW are? noob in your midst here

MrSmadSmartAlex
11th June 2009, 12:24 AM
They're Official FirmWare and Custom FirmWare, but CFW discussion is against the rules here.;)