PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the nose down

Koleax
4th October 2009, 04:12 AM
Let's take the first hill after the first turn in Sebenco as an example and assume Phantom class. What is the best way to get over that hill quickly and smoothly? Do you approach it level and start lowering your nose before catching air or midway? Or is a barrel roll the preferred option, when energy is available, obviating the need for a more aerodynamic attack? Is it possible to do both?

My biggest problem area is the Piranha Bowl in Chenghou. After the first hairpin turn, launching over the sawtooth weapon pads, I never seem to have ideal control entering the bowls. Is attacking hills more about the approach than the finish?

yeldar2097
4th October 2009, 12:20 PM
Lots of advice in here (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6227&highlight=pitch+control) :g

Rathboneski
4th October 2009, 10:05 PM
for the sebenco bit:

i take the first sharp left on sebenco fast and wide (with hard airbrakes), just cutting in on the inside corner of the track (make sure to hit the speedpad). you ideally just want to be hitting the mini hill in a straight line. I hold the nose down & barrel roll too so that you execute the boost from the BR faster, by hitting the ground sooner.

on chenghou:

i take this long sweeping left-hander by holding diagonally up & left on the analogue stick (so has not to bump about all over the place), and just feather the left airbrake to keep me tight to the inside wall as possible, sideshifting if nescessary.

Koleax
6th October 2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks!

I'm curious about the approach, though, which is not discussed in that other thread. If you approach pitched down, won't you grind the hill? Even when level, hitting the speed pad in Sebenco will have you scrape the hill on approach, which has to be its intention.

It feels like there is some geometry I'm not getting right.

Vartazian
6th October 2009, 07:48 AM
No. You wont hit the hill. However you wont accelerate as fast going up the slope.

For Chengou. Approach the Pirhanna bowl orm the outdie side of the Bowl (On forward right side) And Cut into left side whilst pinning your Nose down.

Koleax
11th October 2009, 05:31 PM
No. You wont hit the hill. However you wont accelerate as fast going up the slope.

So pitching down does not affect speed on level track, but it does on inclines?

Then, when a hill is scraped, it's exclusively due to being airborn on approach?

Vartazian
11th October 2009, 05:41 PM
Essentially you have to F*&% up really badly to hit a Slope while keeping your nose down.

Koleax
11th October 2009, 06:09 PM
Essentially you have to F*&% up really badly to hit a Slope while keeping your nose down.

What? It happens every time I hit the speed pad on the first Sebenco hill on phantom, unless I pitch up. Same with the bowl at the end of largest slope after hitting its respective speed pad, and that's if I'm level.

(Alright, bring on the jokes.)

Lance
11th October 2009, 06:54 PM
Okay, I've got one: Read the WZ guidelines about quoting the post right above your own. :D Funny stuff.

Koleax
11th October 2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I guess OCD can be funny sometimes.

[/dry humor]

I intended it as a gesture indicating that I wanted the statement reworded or clarified. Quoting stops the eye and asks one to reflect for a moment longer on what was said. I wanted to do it in a "wait, what?" sort of way. In other words the act of quoting was itself a statement of my confusion. However, if this is further confusing or aesthetically displeasing, it won't happen again.

IH8YOU
11th October 2009, 07:40 PM
The heavier ships (steering wise) seem to be the most prone to scraping up inclines.

I fly Auricom most of the time - and it does smash into those hills on Sebenco quite a bit. Considering I've held a few records for that track - I don't think I'm royally (#*$ing up too much. Then again...

AG, Harimau and the more "nimble" craft don't see to do this as much, from what I've noticed.

SaturnReturn
11th October 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't think the sebenco climb issue is almost as clear cut as some are making it sound. If we're talking about the very first hill, i.e. the little one at the start just after the first corner, then that's very difficult to get right every time. At least, it is for me, and I think for others too.

Take, as an example, pirahpac's video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It9idEdDmIE

This is a very fast time but he doesn't hit that hill the same way each time and gets thrown into the air to varying degrees.

Then take Hellfire's tutorial video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i473NnU31-8

It looks terrible in slow motion. It appears that the ship is thrown way up in the air more than you'd ever want to be. But then when he shows the complete lap at the end it's OK.

My opinion, is that you should be pitching down at some point and trying to keep the ship level. The exact point is very difficult to determine though. I'm not sure anyone really knows. But I don't think it's anything to worry about. The visual impact seems to be quite high and makes a slight nudge on the top of the hill look very bad, when in fact it's probably fine and just gives you a little more time to think about the barrel roll and taking the next corner properly.

So yeah, I think - aim for the speed pad. Aim to pitch down and then barrel roll (if you want). Try to keep the ship fairly level, like in pirahpac's later laps, but if it doesn't look perfect, I wouldn't worry too much. Eventually you'll probably find some way to do it that is comfortable to be able to pull off the first couple of turns well. Good luck.

I also agree with IH8YOU. Heavier ships probably exaggerate the problem.

Lance
12th October 2009, 05:47 PM
I intended it as a gesture indicating that I wanted the statement reworded or clarified. Quoting stops the eye and asks one to reflect for a moment longer on what was said. I wanted to do it in a "wait, what?" sort of way.

Writing "wait, what? would have been far more effective. Or, "I don't understand that statement, could you clarify, please?"
Avoiding the wasted time of seeing the same statement twice is a big reason for the rule.