PDA

View Full Version : 2002-12-04 : The Trial Begins...

infoxicated
4th December 2002, 04:09 PM
Due to recent events, I've decided to put the forums on a months trial, rather than shutting them down.

It will boil down to this - the likelihood of the site making the transition to the new server in January will be inversely proportional to the amount of flames/idiots/abuse endured over the course of the next month. (less idiots = more chance of WipeoutZone on a new server with loads of downloads and fresh new design + lots of added bonuses!)

In an aditional measure of fairness - hopefully easing frustration for all parties involved - topics that are deemed unsuitable will be moved to a new forum - "The Pit Lane".

This area is only viewable by moderators and will allow more than one of us (us = mods) to decide whether the topic should be deleted, or restored with the offending material removed. (i.e. after a service in the pits, geddit?!).

Having stuck this thing out for two years, I think I can stick it out for at least another month to see if it deserves to live on - I owe that much to the decent members of the community who make this such a great place when all is well and good.

Member actions will be under close scrutiny over this period of time, believe me - a two strikes and you're out policy will be in force. New members who think they can run in like a bull in a china shop will be dispatched pretty swiftly.

Anyone who finds the above is unfair... well, click the little x at the top right of your screen and pretend it was just a bad dream.

Everyone else - Fasten your seatbelts - the clock is ticking.

Lance
4th December 2002, 04:26 PM
thanks for giving it the extra effort. i know i appreciate it and i'm sure several others do as well.

infoxicated
8th January 2003, 11:35 AM
The months trial has come to an end and I'm pleased to note that the site has passed with flying colours.

So... where do we go now?

Well, the we have a new server in the works which will mean that we can improve on the existing site, as well as adding new features in the future.

The biggest change is the bandwidth limit - no longer are we chained to 5gb a month - with the new box we should be able to shift four or five times that without even worrying about it (not that we will ;)). With more bandwidth comes more downloads and perhaps a fan-art section, plus a bit of a re-design after I'm done with current projects.

I'll keep you all informed of when the changes are due to take place - as the move will lead to some downtime. But just so you know, WipeoutZone is here to stay and if it fails to arrive in your browser one day then the change in server will be the reason.

Thanks to all the long standing members for their effort in easing us through the last month - well done :)

Lance
8th January 2003, 01:41 PM
i know it might be a tremendous lot of work to do it, but will the content of the current forums be transferred to the new server, or will it all be lost so that it cannot serve as an archive as the old EZ-board wipeout forums still do?

infoxicated
8th January 2003, 01:49 PM
Everything will make the switch - there will have to be a lockdown at some point so we don't get out of synch, but other than that everything will go :)

That's the beauty of it being our server now - it's all snug in the one place.

Lance
8th January 2003, 01:50 PM
great! we'll have our history intact :)