PDA

View Full Version : See announcement in Announcements...

infoxicated
4th December 2002, 11:16 AM
As it says in the topic - be it ****wits from Malvern or assholes from the USA - I'm done with this global playground for wankers.

It's been a real ball - thanks to all the sacks who have ruined it - bunch of cowardly pricks who hide online because they haven't the guts to punt their bravado in the real world. Nice work.

phantom_menace, and the rest - yeah - that means you.

Thanks lots to Lance and Wamdue for all their efforts - if not for you guys it would have come to this much sooner, I suspect.

Keep on WipEing :)

Roger
4th December 2002, 11:53 AM
Suddenly everything sucks... :cry:

I've beed a member of Wipeoutzone for five months, this is my 22nd post. As it seems, this will be my last post also, unless you (Infox) change your mind.

Nonetheless, I respect your decision. Thanks for all your hard work, sadly there were too many who didn't do their thinking before they did their writing.

With or without Wipeoutzone, rest assured this AG-racer will keep chasing new record times. I'll just have to chase myself from now on, you lot were the only competition I had (damn, haven't even posted my best time for P-Mar/Venom yet :-?)

satriani
4th December 2002, 12:41 PM
:o Still got your old address rob, it was a thankless task obviously. :(

I never got the time to come back so goodbye one and all.

Mano
4th December 2002, 01:04 PM
It is a pleasure for me to have found this site and specially this forum, i really enjoyed my time here, ive only been here less than a month, but enough to see this is a great place, and a rare find (i see this site like the Wip3out SE of all sites wipeout related). I started to find very good things since i entered this board, like wipeout art from Dark Trancer, Stindah, Spaceboy Gajo, (i will contact Wamdue to see his work), etc.

I also found here postings and history of wipeout development from the very persons that made and designed the games Like Nick and Spooky, THANK YOU VERY MUCH guys for making a great game.

I started to find wipeout stuff i was looking for like Wipeout 3 SE, negcons, that i could not find here in Peru. :D

What im saying here is THANK YOU Infoxicated for making this great place, thanks Lance and Wamdue for keeping and making it even greater. i dont know who else is involved in keeping, running and creating this site but thanks to all of you.

its been a great pleasure to get to share with all of you on this forum, posters, artists, designers, moderators, (great) pilots, developers, and all, THANK YOU.

auslander
4th December 2002, 01:53 PM
--- my old post ---
Are you really taking down the website? I mean it's true that you don't like where it's going, but taking it down means disassembling the entire community that's been established around it.

Please consider handing off the forum/website to someone else and/or just unmoderating it. Both of those options are much preferred to just shutting the place down.
--- end my old post ---
^^^ i think that was the shock talking, *sniff*

i understand now, i hear you about the loosers, so it will be very sad to see this place go. But you're right. If it must, then it must. I support you all the way and hope that you'll move onto bigger and better projects and maybe harness some of this community spirit for something good in the future. We should all grab each other's emails and stay in touch or something :)

wipeoutZone and the forum were definately one of the best things i've been a part of on the net.

kudos Rob, Lance and Warmdue you guys and our little community here will be missed.

aus!

infoxicated
4th December 2002, 02:20 PM
When I have to deal with personal abuse from the likes of :

Derick "Phantom_menace" Cochrane,
Defence Evaluation and Research Agency
Electronics Sector
St Andrews Road
Malvern
WR14 3PS
Hereford and Worcester
Tel: 01684 895522
Fax: 01684 894146

(send your thoughts on todays events to the man above, please)

add to that a shed load of spam e-mail into the bargain, then I don't think it's too much of a loss. In the last couple of months it has taken a turn for the worse on here - we've discussed Wipeout 3 to death, Wipeout Fusion isn't worth discussing and in two years I'm afraid to say it's all been done.

My enthusiasm has just about gone for anything related to the series - pissed off would not even begin to describe how I feel with what's happened.

You try to do the right thing - Lance has taken a lot of the burden by moderating when I'm not around. But now I'm getting ranting e-mail from people because their topics have been deleted and it wasn't even me! That's not to discredit Lance in any way, but I don't know why I should take abuse from people who cant even take the time to find out who deleted their topic and why.

I just don't think it's fair on me - I had a six day holiday there when I hardly checked the site at all - maybe twice in that six days. I go back to it this morning and I have phantom_menace firing off e-mails about deleted topics and then having a dig at this boards' "moderators" in general because his e-mail wasn't answered instantly. Yeah, he's a dick - and yeah, there are a load of dicks in the world, but the truth is I didn't miss this kind of **** in the slightest during my six day break.

So why come back to it?

In one months time the contract for this server will come to an end - my personal site and a load of others will be moving to shiny new server with ten times the bandwidth. WipeoutZone will more than likely not be making the move.

I thought that vetting registrations would help weed out the idiots, but what do you know - folk come across as decent until they let rip on someone who has done nothing more than build a fan site. You see, I'm not asking for a $10 from every single member just because I threw this place together, and even if I was I don't know if I'd put up with the abuse. I want nothing more than what I've gained already from the site - made some friends and had a lot of fun.

All I wanted was to create a place where like minded people could discuss something they have in common and other things beside that. I done that - it was working, now it's not working. At least not for me. I guess nothing lasts for ever.

Tell you what, I'll unlock all the forums again - have a ball - enjoy it while it lasts.

Lance
4th December 2002, 02:58 PM
it has been for the most part a great community. but Rob has provided the internet mechanics of it and the guiding spirit of it for the past 2 years. it is his effort [and money] that keeps this site alive. it is his entire right to run this place as he sees fit. even the irresponsible and immature who have quoted and mistakenly abused in their own false defence the constitution of the U.S.A. in a forum built not in the U.S.A., but in England by a Scotsman, and visited by people from many countries, should realise this. this is a private site that may be run by whatever rules the provider desires. my preference would be simply to toss the wankers out, but i can see how it would become too much of an effort to maintain even this great place if they continue to return and irresponsibly dump idle excrement on the rest of us, then pretend that it is they who have been wronged. having now experienced some of what Rob has gone through, i find even my own patient self unwilling to put up with those who cannot or will not see that what.they do harms other people, or at least makes their lives unpleasant when it doesn't have to be that way. comes to the same in the end, i guess. my new personal preference based on this experience would be to throw them out on the second offence after having given them what for only once for the first offence. that is all that should be necessary, just one clarification of the limits of civilised behaviour. after that, they're gone. we don't have the expertise or the time to correct the personal character defects acquired by someone in the course of their lives elsewhere. there have been some good folk, like Rhys, who after only one mention of what is expected, were able to become responsible members of our community. but there have been some who even after many explanations just do not get it. so i understand why Rob has reached the limit of his patience. because the moderators have removed much of the crap before most of the members have seen it, many of you may not know how bad it has been, but i can tell you that even i alone have removed a lot of posts that were mere wanking on the part of the posters. i may have been the one who removed the majority of it, but do not know this for a fact because if the other moderators got there first, i was spared the sight of it, myself! :D

whatever decision Rob makes, he has earned the right to make it because he has created this place. i'm sure most of us realise that. it will be a great shame, and a loss to us all if this place disappears. it has meant a lot to me. it's been not only a great incentive to race for sheer fun and stretching my abilities against you other pilots, and a reminder that even though i'm old, i'm not dead yet, but a genuine pleasure to talk with you good people about our mutual interests. if i lose that, i will feel it to a degree i don't even fully realise yet. damn, now i'm getting all mooshy. but that's okay.

___lance

DarkTrancer
4th December 2002, 03:12 PM
Oh man,i just got here :(
I have enjoyed my week or so here,and have posted up pictures of some of my work hoping to spark replys/work from other people (which it has).I was kinda hoping to get to chat with the two guys from what i`ve read that actually worked on the god touched games,thinking maybe they would also be sparked with a new project or something.

Even so i can understand u`r anger Infoxicated and agree thatu shouldn`t get that kinda abuse from stupid people (nothing his address and a baseball bat wouldn`t sort out).
Also just read that Infoxicated is a fellow Scotsman like myself,so little time and i didn`t take full advantage :( Btw i hail from Kirkcaldy,Fife.
If u read this Infoxicated,great work on the site.I`m open for mails from the people i`ve met and also those who i just haven`t talked to yet.

Synthetic Consciousness
4th December 2002, 03:21 PM
Before I joined Wipeoutzone, I wasn't a member of any forums. The reason why I joined this one was because of the friendly atmosphere. None of the flaming or arrogance of other posters like I had seen on onther boards. Funny how that can all change so quickly. I respect Infoxx's decision. I wouldn't want this board ending up like the Fusion or Hoverrace boards. It's been fun. Keep looking towards the future.

Robert Whitehead aka Synthetic Consciousness

Lance
4th December 2002, 03:28 PM
just for the record, I am the one who deleted the topic by 'phantom_menace'. indeed, probably everything that disappeared without a trace here over the last week was deleted by me. i take full responsibility for doing so.