PDA

View Full Version : I wish Pulse SL events had >7 laps :(

Frances_Penfold
12th September 2009, 05:53 PM
Seven laps isn't enough to "get into" a speed lap event for me-- it's much more fun to time trial on Pure using Free Play mode. Having some sort of (non-exploitable) B-S-B mechanism would also be a help. This is one general area that WOHD improved over Pulse IMHO.

Is this a problem for anybody else or am I just weird?!

MrSmadSmartAlex
12th September 2009, 06:19 PM
I agree. It is kind of annoying that just as you're getting into it, it's all over, and breaks your flow. I guess this is why everybody made SL in Pulse kind of redundant by competing in TT best lap instead. But then being able to boost the line already spoils it in a way, as you have to do a whole lap just to get that boost again for another record attempt.
This is why I much prefer going for TT race times to lap times.:)

Frances_Penfold
12th September 2009, 06:54 PM
The boosting-over-the-starting-line thing really is a weird aspect of time-trialing in Wipeout. IMHO the B-S-B actually goes a long way towards eliminating it as a problem... but it needs to be implemented in a manner that prevents exploits and endless arguments about its place in competitive racing (see: the WOZ WOHD forum page)

Another mechanism that exists in other racing games is to give a faster rocket start in time trial modes that is entirely comparable to boosting over the starting line on the lap 2 or greater. This is what is done in Mario Kart and the first lap is thus generally very comparable to later laps for records. Implementing something like this would keep the first lap from being a complete waste for record-making.

My biggest wish though is that SL was AT LEAST 10 laps... seven (really six, because the first one is useless) is way too few.

I really like full course time trials but for creating beautiful lines and runs lap time trials holds a special place in my heart :)

MaxiM
20th September 2009, 10:30 AM
Pulse SL could really benefit from the "kickstart" that was present in Wipeout 2097/XL (and Rollcage). I really liked that feature once I've learned how to do it properly 8)

leungbok
20th September 2009, 01:25 PM
I agree. It is kind of annoying that just as you're getting into it, it's all over, and breaks your flow. I guess this is why everybody made SL in Pulse kind of redundant by competing in TT best lap instead. But then being able to boost the line already spoils it in a way, as you have to do a whole lap just to get that boost again for another record attempt.
This is why I much prefer going for TT race times to lap times.:)

True mate ! It's very frustrating to pass on pulse with 7 laps and no possibility of cancelling a lap to get a new boost after sessions on HD :lol, but you seems to get into it very fast if i judge at your laptimes :eek
Your de konstruct is amazing (17.95 if i remember well) how many br in that lap ? :o

MrSmadSmartAlex
21st September 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks mate! You have some pretty insane lap times too though.:)
My de Kon W 17.95 lap was 4 BRs. Boost > first corner BR, then the usual 3 near the end. That record was my first decent one (along with the race time on the same track), and it took me so many attempts - we're talking thousands here!:lol

leungbok
23rd September 2009, 02:56 PM
Oh :o I didn't know for the first br at the beginning (why didn't i thought about that :brickwall). I made my laptime with 3 brs, but i discovered a new tactic :
I you boost sooner (just exiting the magstrip) it's possible to Boost/br, to add another br on the light cavity (the speed of the boost/br helps), and 2 others at the jump and the last straight. I didn't had time to work on that yet, but it seems faster ;) (hard to control however).

MrSmadSmartAlex
23rd September 2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I've tried that boost>BR after the magstrip too, but found it too difficult to get it clean, but if you say you can get it, then I'll practice it and try to improve my time.;)

leungbok
23rd September 2009, 04:53 PM
Ok, count on you then ! :beer (and a video would be great ;))

MrSmadSmartAlex
23rd September 2009, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, I no longer have the means to make Pulse videos myself:(, but I may be able to use my brother's camera in video-mode, if the quality is good enough and it can record for that long.

leungbok
23rd September 2009, 06:34 PM
No pb mate ! Nothing urgent :)

ACE-FLO
2nd October 2009, 01:36 PM
I tried to record a video of my metropia w SL - with my LG KC550 mobile phone, in my mouth :D not kidding :D :rock

Managed to drool all over my chin, neck and t-shirt :D and set a 18:10 lap to boot! :D too funny! But because I couldn't see what the phone/camera was recording, when I played it back - it had recorded a corner of my TV and one of my toes! ... What a lame attempt at recording!

Ontopic - If Pulse had FreePlay mode - I'd practice more! :)

leungbok
4th October 2009, 09:08 PM
Lol, maybe spielberg starts like that in his early years ! :lol

Lance
4th October 2009, 09:50 PM
So is this the making videos thread, or the piloting tips thread, or is it the:
I wish Pulse SL events had >7 laps :( thread? Which was last discussed on post number 6. :g

ACE-FLO
5th October 2009, 08:35 AM
Oh, come on Lance :g We can never be ontopic 100% of the time, can we ? :?

As long as it's w'O" related - it's ok right? right? left? right? :D

Leungbok: I should post the vid for a laugh, what do you think?

leungbok
5th October 2009, 09:53 AM
Sure mate ! :D

ACE-FLO
5th October 2009, 10:04 AM
Ok, it'll be up soon. :D

btw, I just can't get into SL man! I mean, what's the point when TT is a better option? Freeplay would be cool man.

NightArh
5th October 2009, 01:40 PM
It is possible to set many many laps per race... but this is illegal :D

ACE-FLO
5th October 2009, 02:22 PM
You sound like Arch! :D sorry, mate :D

Lance
5th October 2009, 09:36 PM
ACE, I've publically posted my 'standard' about offtopic before; of course we go offtopic, but about 6 to 8 OT posts is enough, since beyond that, the thread is being highjacked and turned into another subject. [in this particular case, already half the thread was offtopic.] It is hard enough for someone searching for a particular bit of information, a particular subject, without the subject turning up on every effin thread and scattered over the whole website because piloting tips, or barrel rolls, or game availability dates or whatever show up everywhere instead of being in a place where they can be found readily, and most of the relevant posts and data form some sort of coherent body of information for reference. That's the reason why forums have separate sections and threads. Otherwise, why not just have one thread and nothing else, where every subject of every sort is simultaneously and interleavedly discussed by all the members, no matter what they are or are not interested in, and no matter what information they're seeking?

archman
5th October 2009, 10:56 PM
It is possible to set many many laps per race... but this is illegal :D

Those complaining about 7 laps being insufficient should use that method. It won't blow their PSP.

leungbok
3rd January 2010, 05:15 PM
Lol, it's tempting when you're used to 99 laps on HD with the possibility of cancelling the lap to gain an extra turbo :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxQa9pJVHIw